•  

Photo
- - - - -

Do the Jets stay at 9, trade up or trade down ?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: Do the Jets stay at 9, trade up or trade down ? (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Do the Jets stay at 9, trade up or trade down?

1. The Jets stay at #9 (29 votes [55.77%])

Percentage of vote: 55.77%

2. The Jets trade up from #9 (1 votes [1.92%])

Percentage of vote: 1.92%

3. The Jets trade down from #9 (22 votes [42.31%])

Percentage of vote: 42.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,056 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

The top of this draft nothing special but it is deeper at certain positions- so it makes sense to trade down and get extra picks IMO

agree Faba :)

Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#52 Darrellegivesmeaboner#24

Darrellegivesmeaboner#24

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

I like the idea of a trade down, but I don't know how much interest we will be able to generate at 9. Most teams that try to trade back into the top 10 are looking for a QB, and I don't see one that a team would cherish enough to pull the trigger on a deal. Another 2nd rounder sounds great, but we are going to be in a spot where a terrific player is on the board when we pick...

#53 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,089 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

I was reading a piece the other day that spoke about how the surplus value of draft picks plummets after the second round. I might have printed it out but no seeo ito.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#54 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,056 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Trade down 'probably' not happening.. Interesting how Mayock feels not much difference between 5 and 25 this year. Typical Jets luck :(

First-round draft trades could be less plentiful this year

Posted by Mike Florio on February 18, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
mike-mayock-2.jpg?w=250Getty Images

Last year, the Rams reeled in two first-round picks and a second-rounder in exchange for a flip-flop of the second and sixth overall picks.  Likewise, the Vikings pilfered from the Browns a fourth-round pick, a fifth-round pick, and a seventh-round pick for a one-spot jump from four to three, which allowed the Browns to draft a running back (Trent Richardson) whom the Vikings never would have picked.

There was other movement at the top of the draft, with the Jags moving up to getJustin Blackmon, the Cowboys climbing the ladder for Morris Claiborne, and the Eagles rising up to get Fletcher Cox.

This year, there could be much less activity at the top.

“If you’re a playoff team this year, you have to be laughing,” preeminent NFL draft guru Mike Mayock tells Peter King of SI.com.  “First, I don’t see much difference between the fifth and 25th picks this year.  And I don’t really see the immediate difference-makers in the top 10.”

The one wild card in the flattening of the top of the draft pool is the fact that there’s a chance a team at the bottom will fall in love with one specific player who is creeping down the board.  That could prompt a trade up, especially if said player fills a specific need for the team looking to make a move.

Need is the key.  By late April, we’ll know what teams did, or didn’t, do in free agency.  Some needs will be filled, and other needs could arise.  And those needs could be enough to get a team to try to make a trade even though, when ignoring the positions the players play, the talent at the top is roughly the same.

Edited by SouthernJet, 18 February 2013 - 09:40 AM.

Posted Image

#55 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 26,990 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

I think they should stay at #9. They should have a choice of pass rushers there, easily the #2 need on the team behind QB.

I also think there's a good chance they'll land a late first rounder for trading one of their CBs. That would put them in prime position for the draft's top RB, or their choice of QBs.

I agree, except that I am way sick of the term "pass rusher".  They need OLBs with speed. IMO their need for a pass rusher is overrated.  It would be nice, but the D has been good to great without one.

I chat with him before , we agree the Jets need a bid time RB , The Jets need to think offence for a change , we need to score points

The problem with SJ's plan is that he wants Gio Bernard. but he isn't worth 9 and there is a very good chance he won't be there for our 2nd.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#56 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,056 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:17 AM

I agree, except that I am way sick of the term "pass rusher".  They need OLBs with speed. IMO their need for a pass rusher is overrated.  It would be nice, but the D has been good to great without one.

The problem with SJ's plan is that he wants Gio Bernard. but he isn't worth 9 and there is a very good chance he won't be there for our 2nd.

Agree, Gio is not #9 worthy.

I am hoping he is there in 2nd round, BUT, my actual plan was to trade out of #9 and accumulate picks. One of those picks (late 1st , early 2nd) I hoped to use on Gio :)

Posted Image

#57 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 26,990 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Agree, Gio is not #9 worthy.

I am hoping he is there in 2nd round, BUT, my actual plan was to trade out of #9 and accumulate picks. One of those picks (late 1st , early 2nd) I hoped to use on Gio :)

Or they could use Slats' theory and use the pick they get from dealing a corner. 

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#58 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,056 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Or they could use Slats' theory and use the pick they get from dealing a corner. 

yup

Posted Image

#59 Apache 51

Apache 51

LET'S KILL THEM ALL...........

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • Locationon the right end of a Browning 12 gauge in Morris County, NJ.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

Trade down we need bodies. Trade Revis, and Holmes.

Edited by Apache 51, 19 February 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#60 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 16,608 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

After he runs in April I think Revis will bring a haul.  No one is lining up to place bids for Holmes though.

He is paid like an elite WR.  He’s not.  Good, but not elite.

Something hardly anyone is talking about.  Holmes might not even be recovered this year.  I believe he gets operated on again in April.  This foot injury is serious stuff.  He might not even ever be right again.

#61 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

stack da o line

#62 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,056 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

To help in original question:

Draft Value Table:

tradechart.jpg

Posted Image

#63 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,056 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

Mayock has been raving about Gio's Combine..a Interesting blurb here also about Top 5 Sunday Combine performances

http://www.nationalf...at-Combine.html

5. Giovani Bernard, RB, North Carolina: The best of the running backs today, one scout told us that Bernard “looked like Ray Rice athletically” in the workout. Displaying quick feet and a rare explosive burst changing directions he showed he should be a very elusive back in the NFL. Another scout told me that Bernard looked like “the real deal” and definitely warrants being picked in the first round when you combine his workout with his outstanding production at North Carolina.

We would need to luck out at #9 in Round 2 or trade down and get him at bottom of Round 1.

Edited by SouthernJet, 26 February 2013 - 04:06 PM.

Posted Image

#64 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,089 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

No trading up for anyone. 

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

#65 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 31,056 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

No trading up for anyone. 

100% agree. Only Tanny would have traded up in this years draft :)

Posted Image

#66 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,089 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

100% agree. Only Tanny would have traded up in this years draft :)

Yeah definitely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users