Super Bowl Saturday?

faba

The NFL, preparing for the possibility of bad weather hitting the New York/New Jersey region on Super Bowl XLVIII game day, is exploring playing the game on a Saturday or delaying it for several days, according to a published report.

"We have to look at all the angles: storm arriving day-of-game, storm arriving prior to game, storm arriving after game," a source told the Sports Business Journal.

Super Bowl XLVIII is slated to be played on Feb. 2, 2014 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. It will be the first Super Bowl ever held in an open-air stadium in a cold-weather region.

As the report points out, rescheduling the game, however, could create a myriad of problems for fans, who might be forced to reschedule flights and extend/cancel hotel stays.

"As we do for every Super Bowl, we have been planning for all possibilities and are creating various contingency plans to deal with each potential situation," an NFL spokesperson wrote in an email to ESPNNewYork.com, adding that the league would not comment on specifics so far in advance of the game.

Mike Mazzeo is a regular contributor to ESPNNewYork.com.

I think Super Bowl should be on Saturday. That way you can recover from the hangover at home and not at work.

You hit the nail on the head Denver. I don't know how you east coast people deal with the game coming on so late, then having to show up at work still f**ked up.

I think Super Bowl should be on Saturday. That way you can recover from the hangover at home and not at work.

+1 

I can only imagine how many employees call out sick the Monday after the SB.

You hit the nail on the head Denver. I don't know how you east coast people deal with the game coming on so late, then having to show up at work still f**ked up.

Super Bowl Monday isn't a national holiday?  We still showed up for work even when we were 6 hours earlier than EST in Milan.  We expected all speech to be soft and and understanding public and we generally got it.

Super Bowl Monday isn't a national holiday?  We still showed up for work even when we were 6 hours earlier than EST in Milan.  We expected all speech to be soft and and understanding public and we generally got it.

We got to at least come in at Noon.

the reason why Super Bowl isn't on Saturday is because people like to go out and party on that night. Sunday night everyone's watching TV. it's all about ratings, and Saturday is a ratings graveyard. 

Not if you put the Super Bowl on it. It flips the whole thing. People WILL watch the game.

the reason why Super Bowl isn't on Saturday is because people like to go out and party on that night. Sunday night everyone's watching TV. it's all about ratings, and Saturday is a ratings graveyard. 

Think of all the money the host city will lose on hotels and partying the night before.

Folks will be leaving town on Sunday instead of Monday.

Not if you put the Super Bowl on it. It flips the whole thing. People WILL watch the game.

this is probably true but it's a risky move for network execs who have seen thousands of shows fail on Saturday night. It's historically a graveyard of television programming. 

Archived