Jarvis Jones Given Clean Bill of Health From NFL Docs

BroadwayJoe12

Jarvis Jones - LB - Player
NFL doctors have given Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones a clean bill of health regarding early-college concerns about spinal stenosis.

USC's medical staff wouldn't clear Jones to play football due to the spinal condition as a freshman. So he transferred to Georgia, received medical clearance, and went on to become one of the SEC's most feared pass rushers. Health concerns will ostensibly be a non-issue going forward regarding Jones' draft stock. ESPN's Mel Kiper insists Jones will be a top-five pick, but Rotoworld's Josh Norris expects Jones to slip into the teens; perhaps to Pittsburgh at No. 17.

Was going to post this in the draft forum, but figured it wouldn't get much notice and seeing as how this news could cause quite the shakeup at the top of the draft, especially the Jets pick, thought it was worth being posted here.  Firstly, I'd be quite interested to read the initial reports out of USC that have contradicted Georgia's docs and now the NFL docs; maybe their insurer has different clauses about pre-existing conditions or something? Who knows. 

Secondly, with a clean bill of health, this guy has to have solidified himself as a top 5 pick, which sucks as he's a perfect fit for this defense.  Anyways, with this news and the rumors that no scouts have Damontre Moore worthy of a first round grade, there's going to be a lot of moving around with this top OLB/DEs come combine time.  

Ok I will literally bet anyone here $1,000 right now that Moore goes in the first...even without a combine or pro day. 

I don't doubt it at all, but that doesn't take away from most scouts not having him in the first round; plenty of people get selected in the first who scouts didn't have there.

Just curious, what don't you trust about JJ?

I don't doubt it at all, but that doesn't take away from most scouts not having him in the first round; plenty of people get selected in the first who scouts didn't have there.

Just curious, what don't you trust about JJ?

the meds clearing him. I think he's risky as a top 10 pick bc of that. Wouldn't hate the pick at 9 but just saying it would be cause for concern.

I bet we take him and I bet he plays no more than 20 games total for us.

I’m certainly no expert on this, but from what I’ve read on this injury, it isn’t something that is likely to end his career suddenly in a year or two, but rather will wear down and cut his career to 6-7 years.

From what I’ve read it causes what we call stingers.  As the players career goes on the stingers become more frequent until the player just can’t perform with out getting the stinger on every hit.

Most of the players I saw listed who had it retired around 30.

He’s there I take him.

I’m certainly no expert on this, but from what I’ve read on this injury, it isn’t something that is likely to end his career suddenly in a year or two, but rather will wear down and cut his career to 6-7 years.

From what I’ve read it causes what we call stingers.  As the players career goes on the stingers become more frequent until the player just can’t perform with out getting the stinger on every hit.

Most of the players I saw listed who had it retired around 30.

He’s there I take him.

I also take him. Apologize for posting this twice but here is a link from last month where a Jets doctor is quoted saying Stenosis is no biggie (also note that Gronk has it and others)

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/sports/2013-01-23/the-nfl-beat-spinal-stenosis/

I also take him. Apologize for posting this twice but here is a link from last month where a Jets doctor is quoted saying Stenosis is no biggie (also note that Gronk has it and others)

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/sports/2013-01-23/the-nfl-beat-spinal-stenosis/

Yep.  The article you posted was one of the ones I read.  I also went off to read a few others, to see if he was just BS ing.  They all seem to somewhat agree.

IMO Jones might actually be the most immediate impacting players in this draft.  Mingo, who I would also take, worries me a lot.

I would rather have an impact star player for 5-6 years, then a JAG, for 10

Mingo, who I would also take, worries me a lot.

best case Mingo is Javon Kearse. Worst case he's Aaron Maybin. Either way if he runs super fast he might not be there. teams like JAC and DET are gonna take the fastest pass rusher, whoever that may be.  i do believe that Mingo is probably just a 4-3 end and to take him and stand him up and teach him to play LB could take years. 

best case Mingo is Javon Kearse. Worst case he's Aaron Maybin. Either way if he runs super fast he might not be there. teams like JAC and DET are gonna take the fastest pass rusher, whoever that may be.  i do believe that Mingo is probably just a 4-3 end and to take him and stand him up and teach him to play LB could take years. 

Oh I think he is going to run fast Bit.   A lot of these guys, who are smart, are at training complex’s, like TEST, right now learning how to come out of a sprinter’s stance in prep for the 40 at the combine.

I also hope guys like Jordan, and  Ansah run real fast to, letting Jones fall a bit,  Like to the Jets.

With that said I doubt Jones gets past Jax, or the Browns 

I don't think there's any way that Detroit can pass on CB again and not grab Millner; they've just ignored that position for too long and keep getting burned.    I don't think there's any way that Mingo could bottom out like Maybin; Mingo can be an every down player as he doesn't have the same trouble keeping weight on that Maybin did or playing the run.  I think Star to Oakland is a solid bet, as their defensive line with Kelly and Seymour being likely gutted, is giong to need that mainstay.  

I've also been operating under the assumption that Moore is a top 10 pick, only to find out there are rumors he's not even graded as a first rounder by most scouts, so who knows.  I just figured by the time our pick comes along, one of Mingo/Jones/Moore/Werner/Jordan would be there, but who knows.  It's pretty fluid at the top.

I can totally understand the Maybin concern on Mingo but I still think he'll end up the best out of the group of pass rushers. Just my opinion nothing more. Jordan's the guy who out of the group I think could end up flopping, also just don't see him with as high of a ceiling as the other guys. If Jones is healthy at minimum I think he'll be a solid starter a la a Bryan Thomas type career. Werner and Ansah have huge ceilings but more bust potential too. If Moore were there i think he probably fits this system the best IMO.

There isn't a guy I'd really dislike at 9, just some guys I'd be less 'hooray' about.

best case Mingo is Javon Kearse. Worst case he's Aaron Maybin. Either way if he runs super fast he might not be there. teams like JAC and DET are gonna take the fastest pass rusher, whoever that may be. i do believe that Mingo is probably just a 4-3 end and to take him and stand him up and teach him to play LB could take years.

Mingo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Aaron Maybin

If Jones is on the board at 9 then something is up.

Mingo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Aaron Maybin

If Jones is on the board at 9 then something is up.

Mingo reportedly played the season less than 230 and is bulking up to 245 for Indy. Sound familiar? 

As for Jarvis, he's not gonna be a combine freak. There's nothing about him in shorts that is amazing. he's kinda like Terrell Suggs in that respect. Tons of production, not a super rare athlete, and Suggs went around 10 if memory serves. 

Wheres the report on Mingo? He gained weight this past season and held it well. Maye 230 in 2011, but I don't buy that 230 remark for 2012. He's also taller and broader shouldered than Maybin. Completely different bodies.

Moore is a better candidate to pull a Suggs than Jones, and is closer in size to Suggs. Jones at 9 means teams are not liking his back issue moreso than anything else.

Mingo reportedly played the season less than 230 and is bulking up to 245 for Indy. Sound familiar? 

As for Jarvis, he's not gonna be a combine freak. There's nothing about him in shorts that is amazing. he's kinda like Terrell Suggs in that respect. Tons of production, not a super rare athlete, and Suggs went around 10 if memory serves. 

Exactly why I like him more than any of the other names mentioned.  I'll be ecstatic if he falls in our laps at 9.

I was hoping it didn't exist at all, oh well.

Reasons he is not Maybin:

- LSU >>> Penn St

- SEC >>>> Big Ten

- He's taller

- 230 is still bigger than Maybin in college

- He's wider

- Movement skills go beyond being able to run in a straight line (better natural athlete)

- More experience (3 years vs 2)

- More hurries, PDs, and FFs in college

I think Suggs is a good comparison....optimistically speaking.

I was hoping it didn't exist at all, oh well.

Reasons he is not Maybin:

- LSU >>> Penn St

- SEC >>>> Big Ten

- He's taller

- 230 is still bigger than Maybin in college

- He's wider

- Movement skills go beyond being able to run in a straight line (better natural athlete)

- More experience (3 years vs 2)

- More hurries, PDs, and FFs in college

-underrated vs. the run too.

It will be interesting to see Mingo in linebacker drills. taking a true DE like Mingo and teaching him to play 3-4 outside linebacker, sometimes can take 3 seasons. Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas had similar conversion times. Sometimes it can be faster like when Conner Barwin and Brooks Reed did it in 1-2 seasons... but those guys looked really natural in drills. 

Guys like Jarvis Jones (or Clay Matthews) don't have to be taught linebacker. 

-underrated vs. the run too.

Word. 

Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas had similar conversion times.

Both Pace and Thomas thrived their first seasons as LBers.

Sometimes it can be faster like when Conner Barwin and Brooks Reed did it in 1-2 seasons

Don't forget...and I'll write this list again and again:

DeMarcus Ware

Brian Orakpo

Ryan Kerrigan

Anthony Spencer

Shaun Phillips

Shawn Merriman

Terrell Suggs

Tamba Hali (once converted, but didn't open his career as a DE/OLB)

Justin Houston

Kamerion Wimbley

Koa Misi

Cameron Wake

Sam Acho

Mathias Kiwanuka (didn't open his career as an OLB THO)

Aldon Smith

No one is questioning his game. It is his physical health and ability to hold up in the league that is in question. Clay Matthews, like Quinton Coples, had no questions about his physical health in the short and long term. 

It will be interesting to see Mingo in linebacker drills. taking a true DE like Mingo and teaching him to play 3-4 outside linebacker, sometimes can take 3 seasons. Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas had similar conversion times. Sometimes it can be faster like when Conner Barwin and Brooks Reed did it in 1-2 seasons... but those guys looked really natural in drills. 

While I do actually get and agree with your general point about conversions, I think Pace and Thomas are not really particularly good examples of that.  In both of their cases, they started off playing 4-3 DE and were considered colossal busts, finally having their "breakout" year when they switched over to the 3-4 (in both instances, their first year in the system).

Archived