• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#51 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

No lock Jones goes two if he's healthy. People like to say he's like Von Miller, but on top of monster production Miller was a freak athlete with an extremely high mental makeup. Also, the if game is dumb anyway. He fact is that he isn't healthy, he carries a back issue going into NFL football. You might as well slap a bullseye on him taking him so high (9) in the draft.

Look at the draft as a whole you have Geno Smith making money against Baylor... Star making money on 6 career sacks. Ansah making money on 4 sacks.

Jarvis 26 sacks in the SEC and multiple sacks against Bama is gold-plated production. Jarvis' film is awesome. 

I agree the Von Miller comparison is not ideal. He is more of an Orakpo. Which this team needs. 

Edited by bitonti, 15 February 2013 - 01:40 PM.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#52 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 26,946 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

wanting a 10x pro bowler instead of a 3x pro bowler is counting chickens. Take the better prospect and let it play out. The (likely) alternative is to take a "high potential" guy with a perfect back who makes 0 pro bowls. 

This is an interesting argument coming from you.  I remember in the dark days you were biggest on the D'Brick over McNeill bandwagon.  There were plenty that liked to look at the draft in hindsight and think it would have been better to have McNeill and Cutler (or Ngata- the Leinart guys won't admit it) rather than D'Brick and Clemens and IIRC you were of the opinion that the back was a major issue in that move.  

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#53 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

This is an interesting argument coming from you.  I remember in the dark days you were biggest on the D'Brick over McNeill bandwagon.  There were plenty that liked to look at the draft in hindsight and think it would have been better to have McNeill and Cutler (or Ngata- the Leinart guys won't admit it) rather than D'Brick and Clemens and IIRC you were of the opinion that the back was a major issue in that move.  

In general, I have been making comments about the Jets and the draft for almost 15 years. the only thing i can guarantee is inconsistency. 

In specific, by the standard of the draft, both were really good picks. One made 2 Pro Bowls, the other made 3 (and counting). that's success in both cases.

Full disclosure I always wanted Brick because he was from Long Island.  

#54 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Look at the draft as a whole you have Geno Smith making money against Baylor... Star making money on 6 career sacks. Ansah making money on 4 sacks.

Jarvis 26 sacks in the SEC and multiple sacks against Bama is gold-plated production. Jarvis' film is awesome. 

I agree the Von Miller comparison is not ideal. He is more of an Orakpo. Which this team needs. 

1. Nobody drafts a 6'5" 340 pound DT for his sack totals. Geno Smith has more than just Baylor on his track record. Both guys are fully healthy.

2. His numbers are more exciting than watching him to be honest, but I won't deny he was a way better watch than most anyway.

3. Orakpo has all kinds of size on him as well as health. 

I like Jones, but the idea of him at 9 is at least as scary as it is exciting. In theory, he fits this D like a glove. In practice with full context it gets a whole lot cloudier. 

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#55 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

1. Nobody drafts a 6'5" 340 pound DT for his sack totals. Geno Smith has more than just Baylor on his track record. Both guys are fully healthy.

2. His numbers are more exciting than watching him to be honest, but I won't deny he was a way better watch than most anyway.

agreed Geno has Clemson last year Orange bowl and film against Oklahoma. He also has several stinkers vs Texas, Syracuse etc. but that's a whole nother thread. Geno can make #1 money throwing at Indy. 

Jarvis was the best player on a defense stacked with good players (Jenkins, Ogletree, Rambo in this draft alone). #29 was a pure pass rusher, that's what Jets fans have screamed for years. 

Probably an outlyer situation that he's there. the names are  Werner, Moore, Mingo, Jordan (ansah?) could all go higher if Jarvis is the 1st OLB at 9 instead of the 5th DE that's value. 

#56 derp

derp

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Where is the perfect fit for the Jets' defense? We're still talking about a guy who a. is REALLY small for a 3-4 OLB, doesn't have a huge frame, and will struggle to add weight anyway because it's harder to lift with those spine issues and b. is not great against the run and as much as Jets fans have been calling for a pure pass rusher for years stopping the run is prioritized by the Jets' defensive guys right now - Ryan wants to stop the run to set up third and long situations.

Plus, are we frankly sure that Ryan is going to be back next year? And if not, are we sure that we're sticking with a 3-4? If we're moving to a 4-3, is Jones really that good of a fit? His production is better than his tape, though his tape isn't bad it's not as good as some make it out to be. And he's not an elite athlete.

I don't know where this "if he's healthy he goes 2" talk comes from. Maybe because he's been hyped and productive and the draft is weak at the top this year, but he isn't even almost in Von Miller's league. Good, not great defensive prospect with serious medical issues. I'm not saying you have to pass at 9, but there are other guys I'd be thinking long and hard who have warts that I have an easier time getting over than Jones'.

Also, if we're comparing him to injured guys I can't help but think of Da'Quan Bowers a couple years back who was a consensus top of the draft guy early in the process but slipped to the second because of injury concerns. And FWIW, hasn't done much in the NFL.

Edited by derp, 16 February 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#57 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Another reason i'm pro Jarvis is Gronk. I was very happy when the Pats drafted him, No one has a worse back that that guy. these days with deer antlers and growth you've got Peyton going to Germany for neck treatments, Ray Lewis playing 17 years at ILB and Adrian Peterson getting better after what would have been a crippling injury 10 years ago. and Gronk arguably best TE in the league. 

to answer the early question about why I was so against McNeil but pro Jarvis, as the 2000's morph into the 2010's i've got way more faith in medical science. Jarvis has a bad back, (which is an injury guys play with anyway) worst case he can grow a new back in 3 weeks.

he doesn't need to be 250 or 260 to play linebacker and pass rush. He's fine the way he is... a sackmaster. That's all we've ever wanted.

Edited by bitonti, 16 February 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#58 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

The worst case scenario is that he can grow a new back in 3 years....Flooring.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

#59 T0mShane

T0mShane

From devil to Bevell, '15

• Members
  • 25,746 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

John Abraham is worth the 9th pick in any draft. I agree Mingo has flaws but I don't agree with the extent they should be held against him. The production one is as close to it gets as a real flaw, but if you watch him play he's clearly one of the few game changing type talents in this draft. While it's nice to draft a guy for what he did in college because you're a little more sure, the fact is that teams are drafting guys on what they are going to do/can learn to do in the NFL.

One of the draft gurus said of Mingo: "You can watch five games on him and not see him make two plays" or some such. Raises ye old Gholston flag.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#60 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

The worst case scenario is that he can grow a new back in 3 years....Flooring.

Judges also would have accepted "install a bionic back" i can't explain exactly why today's star players are indestructible but basically they are. Terrell Suggs should not have been playing with a torn biceps, less than a year from achillies injury but there it is. If you have money  the well established rules of what the human body can endure don't apply. 

#61 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,313 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

One of the draft gurus said of Mingo: "You can watch five games on him and not see him make two plays" or some such. Raises ye old Gholston flag.

Gholston was a puss who shied from contact and never was really into it, Mingo is anything but that.  If he had Gholston's body, he'd basically be Jadeveon Clowney.  Mingo doesn't give up on a run to the opposite side and you'll see him make plays on the backend all the time (insert Mod Joke).  The draft ghuru you're referring to is most likely Daniel Jeremiah, who's getting all this pub because he works for rotoworld now and has been parroted ad nauseum lately.  Mingo might play light and not be a great OLB fit, but him disappearing has more to do with teams rather running at Monty than him giving up.

#62 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

I've been wondering just who the hell Jeremiah is and how he got guru status.

I think Mingo is the most explosive pass rusher in this draft. Only 4 sacks but he did throw in 12 hurries to go with it. Hurrying the QB to Rex is almost as big a deal as sacking the QB, though to be fair Wrecks is stupid.

Edited by SenorGato, 17 February 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#63 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

I've been wondering just who the hell Jeremiah is and how he got guru status.

Jeremiah is a former NFL scout with a really informative twitter handle. He doesn't work for Roto, he works for NFL.com and NFLN. 

#64 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Jeremiah is a former NFL scout with a really informative twitter handle. He doesn't work for Roto, he works for NFL.com and NFLN.

Did Jonah beat the whale in the bible?

#65 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 14,717 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

a little more on Jarvis Jones, we've been arguing about a player that has been given a clean bill of health. That's this article and gil brandt who said so... If we don't believe that, his 225 reps should be informative. A player with bad stenosis can't lift. If Jarvis puts up 25+ he's completely healthy. Remember that McNeil couldn't lift at combine. 

#66 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Jarvis Jones not working out at the combine. Prepare the sinking ship to start....now. 

#67 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Good, maybe he falls to 2-4 range and the Jets pile up on pass rushers.

#68 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

A prophet via the draft forum? Who knows. Lol sorry couldn't resist. 

I also still think Jones is gonna drop pretty hard. (Just a gut feeling)

I do think Jones drops, how far I'm don't know. Just a guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users