Eagles Hire Tom Gamble as VP player personnel

SouthernJet

two smarter people than anyone employed by the Jets, Loria and Kelly, disagree.

should we give Idzik a chance before writing him off? Chip Kelly is an exciting name and certainly smart but no NFL track record to speak of... Loria also has his well documented flaws. Grass is not always greener.

should we give Idzik a chance before writing him off? Chip Kelly is an exciting name and certainly smart but no NFL track record to speak of... Loria also has his well documented flaws. Grass is not always greener.

agree with you Bit, but this is just odd to me,,SF letting him go right before draft for a non GM gig.

1st he messes Jets interview (rumor) and now a basic lateral right before draft

agree with you Bit, but this is just odd to me,,SF letting him go right before draft for a non GM gig.

It's quite odd.  The main reason that he was such a big name on this site was his supposed skill in scouting and personnel decisions, yet his team let him leave to another NFC team right before the combine and draft, something's up with that.  Trent Baalke is clearly the mastermind of their personnel decisions and I think this gives credence to the idea that he was a lesser cog than most originally thought.  Regardless of whether he's a flop or not is irrelevant, as Idzik is our guy and hopefully he can come through for us.

Wait I thought he was a moron who couldn't get a job because of some nonsense having to do with him interviewing. Looks like two smarter people than anyone employed by the Jets, Loria and Kelly, disagree.

Rotfl. Genius organization hires genius without having to give him a promotion. Genius! 

Jet fans on Gamble: I don't know who he is or what he does, but that man was with the latest hot team so he's got to be amazing. The 49ers went to the SB ffs! How can non-prodigies be involved with that situation?

Jet fans on Idzik: We hired him? WTF! How is he going to replicate the success of the Seahawks over here with this stupid franchise?! What an idiot! 

I'm not so sure why everybody is so fired up about the 49ers talent evaluators.  They drafted near the top for ages and many of the players people started to like were considered busts - Vernon Davis and Alex Smith.  It seems that coaching and Baalke's recent ascension had more to do their success than a guy that had been there since '04.  Gamble's job description with SF reads like "in charge of mini-draft."  I think people like him because he is a Polian guy with ties to a recently successful team, but that is not enough to run an organization.

http://www.49ers.com/team/staff/tom-gamble/17f5afbb-6679-4250-bc18-6bfb470bb433

Gamble oversees both the college and pro personnel efforts. In his previous role, Gamble monitored every NFL roster with an emphasis on scouting talent of upcoming pro free agents, while also maintaining continuous depth of personnel on the 49ers roster.

In charge of mini-draft.

Gamble oversees both the college and pro personnel efforts. In his previous role, Gamble monitored every NFL roster with an emphasis on scouting talent of upcoming pro free agents, while also maintaining continuous depth of personnel on the 49ers roster.

In charge of mini-draft.

The mini-draft isn't stupid unless the Jets and the stupid people that stupidly work for them are stupidly doing it. Gamble would have given this organization the talent evaluation skills it desperately needs. He's so good the 49ers have TWO quarterbacks Jet fans want. 

In charge of mini-draft.

And we let him go? Watching Tanny work his magic during the mini draft is the most exciting part of the season for me, Idzik has some big shoes to fill

I may have missed the memo on this one but when did we decide that Idzik is a failure. Please let me know.

About the time we interviewed him if I remember correctly.

The mini-draft isn't stupid unless the Jets and the stupid people that stupidly work for them are stupidly doing it. Gamble would have given this organization the talent evaluation skills it desperately needs. He's so good the 49ers have TWO quarterbacks Jet fans want. 

To be fair, the mini-draft loving qualities were exactly the ones that people touting the CFL, Popp, guy liked. 

And they would have had to give him permission for a lateral, no?  So his own team did not want him?

Yeah the eagles are genuises- they just hired a coach with no NFL experience - a QB that is injury prone and hated by many and come off a losing season

Last I checked they wear the same green and white colors your team does, and to be honest the Jets QB situation is far from settled.

Why did you overreactionary types immediately launch a straw man thing, then start defending Idzik against crimes he hasn't committed? Some of you really need your meds checked.

Who do you use for med-checking?

Do I strike you as someone who is currently receiving the counsel of a qualified psychiatrist?

Those guys are hacks anyway, I've been letting mine out of the cellar for sessions twice a day lately. I'm still doing bat sh*t crazy stuff like breaking into people houses to switch all their TV's to the SAP setting or paying PSL fees.

The guy has been in football for 25 years.  He's probably closer to retirement than needing training.

I dont really remember what his exact deficiency was but he needed more proven worth in a certain area.  I know he has been everything from ball boy to vp of something something. cant really recall what it was but to be the head guy, he needed more.  short term memory FML.

Archived