Roger Goodell Made $29.49 Million In 2011

JetNation

From the “It is good to be the King” department comes a report from YES Network.com stating that NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell made over 29 million dollars in 2011.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell’s compensation reached $29.49 million in 2011, nearly tripling his previous salary.

As reported by Sports Business Daily,
NFL owners likely made Goodell the highest paid sports commissioner in American sports
. Goodell’s compensation is performance-based, with $22.3 million of his total salary paid as a bonus. Information about Goodell’s salary was disclosed in the NFL’s 2011 IRS tax statement, which is public because the NFL is structured as a non-profit.

Darren Rovell reported that Goodell’s 2010 salary was $11.6 million.

and the NFL still can't pay for health problems for it's old veterans of the 60s and 70s

laughable 

Goodell's whole campaign that he can somehow make a collision sport safe is laughablly dangerous. Anyoen who has ever strapped on shoulder pads in Pop Warner knows it's by defintition a violent game. You know and accept those risks. But your point is even more daming. To not give NFL retirees the best medical care plan as a given with the money the NFL makes is really an obscenity. If you took,say, $28 million in 2012 you could cover a whole bunch of those guys rather than pay this dolt such a ridiculous sum.

Goodell's whole campaign that he can somehow make a collision sport safe is laughablly dangerous. Anyoen who has ever strapped on shoulder pads in Pop Warner knows it's by defintition a violent game. You know and accept those risks. But your point is even more daming. To not give NFL retirees the best medical care plan as a given with the money the NFL makes is really an obscenity. If you took,say, $28 million in 2012 you could cover a whole bunch of those guys rather than pay this dolt such a ridiculous sum.

did Roger Goodell even play pop warner?

i bet he played soccer growing up instead

far be it for me to defend Roger Goodell but the NFL is a 11 figure business (tens of BILLIONs with a capital b  . Guys who run those types of organizations get paid that and way more than Roger. Hundreds of Mil isn't unheard of... It's a conversation about CEO pay when you get right down to it. Whether it's Roger or whoever, that's what the head of the a business that size gets paid. 

Also, the NFL is structured as a non-profit. Buncha welfare queens.

Hey stupid, it's not called welfare, these are job creators........ I'm Sorry, I know you where probably kidding but I'm passionate about people throwing the "W" word around unless they're talking about poor people. Those people don't even understand libor rates because it sounds too similar to labor HAHAHAHA poor people

Hey stupid, it's not called welfare, these are job creators........ I'm Sorry, I know you where probably kidding but I'm passionate about people throwing the "W" word around unless they're talking about poor people. Those people don't even understand libor rates because it sounds too similar to labor HAHAHAHA poor people

sounds like he hit a sensative spot

sounds like he hit a sensative spot

Obviously I saw it as a low blow and I'm sure most people would agree. The economy has hurt us all and we all have our horror stories but that's no reason to take a cheap shot. When the market crashed in 2008 my grandfather at Goldman was forced to defer his year end bonus and I didn't get my new car till like July, I was stuck driving around an original Hummer which was devastating. I've got nothing against the poor either. I have gardeners, I had a maid(Who I think was stealing but I'll let the pros at INS sort that out), I think I'm somehow paying the garbage people etc. etc.. People just need to learn to be more socially sensitive with the things they say and I'm happy to point it out.

I think we should minimize the impact of concussions in the NFL by having the games played on top of all those soft, cushiony poor people. Call it PoTurf. Two birds, one stone.

I think we should minimize the impact of concussions in the NFL by having the games played on top of all those soft, cushiony poor people. Call it PoTurf. Two birds, one stone.

Outside the box thinking like that is what makes this country the greatest on earth, plus that will give all these players a job when they retire so they can stop crying to the owners that they deserve healthcare for injuries that may or may not even be football related.

did Roger Goodell even play pop warner?

i bet he played soccer growing up instead

He Captained his HS football, basketball and baseball teams.  An injury kept him from playing in college.  What did you do?

What do you expect him to do? 

He is trying to protect an 11 billion dollar (and growing) business. 

He is fighting a losing battle.  Players willingly admit that they will/have gone back into the game after a concussion.  Or throw a fit, like Jason Witten, a year ago when blocked from returning.  Yet, he is ripped by current players he is trying to protect from living a life with concussion symptoms.    All the while, of the 1200 living former NFL players, 33% are apart of the concussion law suit.  Are you sure they accept the risks?

I do not disagree with the your healthcare point, but where are all the player contributions for health care?  They receive in the neighborhood of 4 billion a year in salary.  If they give 5%, every year, that would dwarf what Goodell is paid yearly.  Take care of their own.  

I find it amusing that Goodell is ripped for an issue (concussions) Tags and Rozelle ignored or hid. 

Outside the box thinking like that is what makes this country the greatest on earth, plus that will give all these players a job when they retire so they can stop crying to the owners that they deserve healthcare for injuries that may or may not even be football related.

They are almost certainly football related.

He Captained his HS football, basketball and baseball teams.  An injury kept him from playing in college.  What did you do?

He is fighting a losing battle.  Players willingly admit that they will/have gone back into the game after a concussion.  Or throw a fit, like Jason Witten, a year ago when blocked from returning.  Yet, he is ripped by current players he is trying to protect from living a life with concussion symptoms.    All the while, of the 1200 living former NFL players, 33% are apart of the concussion law suit.  Are you sure they accept the risks?

I do not disagree with the your healthcare point, but where are all the player contributions for health care?  They receive in the neighborhood of 4 billion a year in salary.  If they give 5%, every year, that would dwarf what Goodell is paid yearly.  Take care of their own.  

I find it amusing that Goodell is ripped for an issue (concussions) Tags and Rozelle ignored or hid. 

What can be said is the players' union has been run for the benefit of the star players rather than the rank and file. The vast majority of players are lucky to be on an active roster long enough to vest in the retirement and health care plans. It's why there is a "pracitice squad" to cut that even further. Gene Upshaw was openly hostile to the complaints of retirees and the new guy isn't any different.

LMAO you buy Goodell's concussion talk?

the dude pushes for 18 games saying it's "What the fans want" yet nobody DOES want that....the guy is a complete joke and only idiots fall for a snake oil salesmen like him....more playoff teams?  sure let's discuss adding an extra round!  great idea to cut back on injuries....

Roger clearly must have had lots of concussions when playing football if he thinks smart fans will buy his garbage agenda

oh wait, you are a Pats fan who is thankful he burned those spygate tapes....i see why you like him now.

LMAO you buy Goodell's concussion talk?

the dude pushes for 18 games saying it's "What the fans want" yet nobody DOES want that....the guy is a complete joke and only idiots fall for a snake oil salesmen like him....more playoff teams?  sure let's discuss adding an extra round!  great idea to cut back on injuries....

Roger clearly must have had lots of concussions when playing football if he thinks smart fans will buy his garbage agenda

oh wait, you are a Pats fan who is thankful he burned those spygate tapes....i see why you like him now.

Yes, the former Jets' employee sure helped the Patriots.  The JN take on this gets dumber and dumber every time you use it. 

According to the Washington Times, over  an 11 month period ending in June 12, 2397 former NFL players had sued the NFL.  It is estimated 12K former NFL players could eventually sue the NFL over concussions.  The NFL could be headed towards a tobacco type settlement.  So, yes I do buy the concussion talk.

So the Commish pushes for an 18 game schedule, which means that of the 10 games  season ticket holder buys, only one is a bogus pre-season game.  Are you sure the fans do not want it?

far be it for me to defend Roger Goodell but the NFL is a 11 figure

business (tens of BILLIONs with a capital b  . Guys who run those types

of organizations get paid that and way more than Roger. Hundreds of Mil

isn't unheard of... It's a conversation about CEO pay when you get right

down to it. Whether it's Roger or whoever, that's what the head of the a

business that size gets paid. 

he runs a multi billion dollar enterprise. the spotlight and pressure is intense. he earned it.

He doesn't "run" the enterprise.  The owners do, and rake in billions for it.  He's just a figurehead who is given power by those owners.  If they really wanted to, they could eliminate his position and run things themselves. 

He doesn't "run" the enterprise.  The owners do, and rake in billions for it.  He's just a figurehead who is given power by those owners.  If they really wanted to, they could eliminate his position and run things themselves. 

this makes no sense. this could be said of any manager hired by an owner. under your thinking no one earns anything unless they own a business. he was hired to run the league. because he can be fired by the owners means zip. my boss could fire me tomorrow and do his job as well as mine. guess i don't earn my money either.

32 billionaires can't run the day to day of 1 organization. These people hate each other and have their own regional agendas. They need a commissioner.

this makes no sense. this could be said of any manager hired by an owner. under your thinking no one earns anything unless they own a business. he was hired to run the league. because he can be fired by the owners means zip. my boss could fire me tomorrow and do his job as well as mine. guess i don't earn my money either.

Yes but you're acting like Goodell is the CEO of the NFL and he is not.  What justification is there for tripling his salary?  Because just saying he "runs a multi-billion dollar industry" is incorrect and doesn't contribute to the discussion.

32 billionaires can't run the day to day of 1 organization. These people hate each other and have their own regional agendas. They need a commissioner.

That's fine and good.  But why does this particular commissioner deserve special treatment?  The NBA has had tremendous success, but you never saw David Stern paid like this even when he's a much bigger reason than Goodell for his sports' wealth.

Archived