Mayock: Bad Year To Own a Top 10 pick

flgreen

In my mind, the ideal draft would have Jones falling to the Jets and the Jets taking the BAP OG in the 2nd.  I'd like to know what he see's between Warford, Long and Winters.  Because ideally, you can nab them in the 2nd and start from day 1.

For a while I really liked the TE in the 2nd (Eifert or Ertz), but think you can get an Escobar, Kelce or Reed in the mid rounds and get similar production.

OLB, G, TE/WR, RB - thats how I'd address this draft, assuming the draft falls that way.  

I would go OLB, G, RB, TE/WR and go from there.  We need a RB more than we need a WR IMO.  Powell and McKnight don't really excite me.  It also depends on what we do in FA.  If they bring back Braylon, then Holmes/Braylon/Kerley/Hill/White should be fine. 

I guess we could go Warmack in the first and then take the best OLB in the 2nd too.  I would be happy either way.  We definitely need to address all of those positions though.  We'll probably also need a safety in case we lose both Bell and Landry.  Ok, this is starting to depress me now.  We need help all over lol.

First off Williams TE from Bama is an NFL caliber te with an emphasis on blocking. it's not unrealistic that Jones will match up against TE at the next level. especially if he's playing OLB in a 4-3 like many have projected.

As for mingo he definitely has the skills, my question is why does a guy with that level of skill only have 13 career sacks? and Sam Montgomery was going against the LT which means Mingo was always against the RT.

out of those three I probably like Jordan the least. But would also find a reason to be happy with all 3 if any were the pick. If all three were available I'd go Jones, Mingo then Jordan.

They try putting Williams on Mingo and he goes right by him.

Jones will probably be best served as a 43 OLB.

Again talking about production, 15 hurries don't show up on the stat sheet.

I've read Montrgomery is a head case.

They try putting Williams on Mingo and he goes right by him.

Jones will probably be best served as a 43 OLB.

Again talking about production, 15 hurries don't show up on the stat sheet.

I've read Montrgomery is a head case.

the hurries do show up in the stat sheet. Mingo has 13, Jones has 10. Jordan has 4. Demontre Moore has 13 to go with his 24 career sacks. I hope he falls to 9 too. 

I would go OLB, G, RB, TE/WR and go from there. We need a RB more than we need a WR IMO. Powell and McKnight don't really excite me. It also depends on what we do in FA. If they bring back Braylon, then Holmes/Braylon/Kerley/Hill/White should be fine.

I guess we could go Warmack in the first and then take the best OLB in the 2nd too. I would be happy either way. We definitely need to address all of those positions though. We'll probably also need a safety in case we lose both Bell and Landry. Ok, this is starting to depress me now. We need help all over lol.

1. Mingo, Moore Ansah, Jones, Jordan

2. Frederick, Warford

3. Taylor, Ball, Barner, or a couple other guys

Something like that would be nice!

Ansah is the one name i'd hate. the dude has no production and probably a 3-4 DE when he's done developing. No one plays stand up backer at 280.     let the giants take him 10 slots later and put him in the 4-3 where he belongs. He barely knows how to play football period, how can he learn linebacker? this would be another vlad or gholston pick. but at least gholston had college production. 

the hurries do show up in the stat sheet. Mingo has 13, Jones has 10. Jordan has 4. Demontre Moore has 13 to go with his 24 career sacks. I hope he falls to 9 too.

yeah IMO Moore is the safest pick out of the lot for the Jets. I personally may like Mingo but Moore really fits the bill.

Ansah is the one name i'd hate. the dude has no production and probably a 3-4 DE when he's done developing. No one plays stand up backer at 280. let the giants take him 10 slots later and put him in the 4-3 where he belongs. He barely knows how to play football period, how can he learn linebacker? this would be another vlad or gholston pick. but at least gholston had college production.

Yep I agree biggest risk/reward player out of the lot. I'm just still dazzled a bit by the draft's shiny new toy.

Agreed. I already put a pretty lengthy post together on another draft site about this but a decent barometer is if you watch Jones, Moore and Mingo all vs. Bama, which is about as NFL ready as you're gonna get. Jones had the worst time of the three, was basically single blocked by the TE Williams half the game, his sack and pressures came mostly due to coverage or Mccarron holding onto the ball too long. Moore had his ups and downs, showed good pursuit, only sack came on a naked boot where McCarron trips. Mingo, IMO was the most disruptive who created his own plays. He also does the best holding the edge even when double teamed. He's got the best jump of the three too IMO.

Then watch Jordan vs. Stanford which I guess is the closest thing to the Bama line. He doesn't do much the whole game. USC too. You have to go to Wahington State when they're already up 44-19 when he turns it on and completely starts to take over. Don't see the same pass rushing moves from Jordan as you do Mongo or Moore.

Granted Jones and Jordan play more standing up and in space. Jordan, certain games, is lined up over a slot receiver or TE in coverage half the time.

But you can see the burst from Jordan as you do Mingo. But he just sort of glides. You'd think he'd be more adept at putting his hands up but you never see it. Bc he has no moves yet if he doesn't beat the OT with speed he just gets pushed out of the play. Never see him drive a tackle back. It also looks like he's taking the hit sometimes on a tackle.

Also, why are you so down on Mingo's production? Not a lot of sacks but I believe he had 15 hurries this year.

Big fan of the Mingo. I was converted pretty easily. Comparisons to Maybin are EXTRAORDINARILY lazy.

I would go OLB, G, RB, TE/WR and go from there. We need a RB more than we need a WR IMO. Powell and McKnight don't really excite me. It also depends on what we do in FA. If they bring back Braylon, then Holmes/Braylon/Kerley/Hill/White should be fine.

I guess we could go Warmack in the first and then take the best OLB in the 2nd too. I would be happy either way. We definitely need to address all of those positions though. We'll probably also need a safety in case we lose both Bell and Landry. Ok, this is starting to depress me now. We need help all over lol.

I'm not big on taking RB's early and none of them excite me this year. I like 4-6th round prospects as much as I like some of the "top 5". Its a weak class and I actually think with a strong OL, Powell could be a solid player, not unlike most RB's this day in age. TE's are deep and I think you can find a good one in the 4th. I have no faith in BE or Hill, so thats why I put the WR option there too but agree that its lesser priority especially considering the QB situation.

I dont really care how they go about filling roster spots via the draft positioning, but those are the positions they must target at some point.

Ansah is the one name i'd hate. the dude has no production and probably a 3-4 DE when he's done developing. No one plays stand up backer at 280.     let the giants take him 10 slots later and put him in the 4-3 where he belongs. He barely knows how to play football period, how can he learn linebacker? this would be another vlad or gholston pick. but at least gholston had college production. 

Bit, u at combine?

Big fan of the Mingo. I was converted pretty easily. Comparisons to Maybin are EXTRAORDINARILY lazy.

best case he's Javon Kearse but again I don't see how he projects as a linebacker. He seems like a fairly straightforward 4-3 rush end. it would be a conversion. 

yeah bc smaller college DEs converting to 34 OLB is so rare.

Its not a deal breaker but something to keep in mind.

if we are comparing Mingo who basically only played DE  at LSU and Moore and Jordan who actually played some linebacker in college and Jones who played nothing but linebacker, Mingo is probably the worst fit for this D out of these 4 names. (Werner is another straight up 4-3 DE. )

best case he's Javon Kearse but again I don't see how he projects as a linebacker. He seems like a fairly straightforward 4-3 rush end. it would be a conversion. 

Yes, and we've gone over this before. The vast majority of those 3-4 OLBs are conversions. Gholston is not enough of a reason to not do it again, particularly with  Mingo's level of athleticism. 

It is something to keep in mind because you're looking for guys who have the skills to make that transition. Mingo has all the pre-req athleticism.

if we are comparing Mingo who basically only played DE  at LSU and Moore and Jordan who actually played some linebacker in college and Jones who played nothing but linebacker, Mingo is probably the worst fit for this D out of these 4 names. (Werner is another straight up 4-3 DE. )

The only one of those three I might take over Mingo is Moore, and that's on the technicality that he put up better numbers. Mingo is the best athlete amongst the three and therefore the most likely to translate that to the NFL. 

This is, of course, ignoring that premium rookie DE/OLBs like Suggs and Aldon Smith opened up their careers mostly playing that Aaron Maybin pass rusher role with some LB duties sprinkled in. Only Ware really dove right in to doing it all immediately that I can remember from top 12 picks. 

if we are comparing Mingo who basically only played DE at LSU and Moore and Jordan who actually played some linebacker in college and Jones who played nothing but linebacker, Mingo is probably the worst fit for this D out of these 4 names. (Werner is another straight up 4-3 DE. )

Yeah except you're drafting a 34 OLB top 10 to rush the passer and contain the edge. You just want him fast and athletic enough in pursuit, to drop back now and the, and make an open field tackle.

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else but I heard he's getting viewed as the best C in this draft, and someone who can sneak into the first. There does seem to be decent competition at C with Jones and that other guy (from Cal?).

He can play both. Would be a nice pick there. Looks like they don't have to cap to do anything else but start Ducasse or some guy out of nowhere (ie Howard) at the other spot.

Oh I know he can play both. I like him as a G as well. I just wonder if other teams will allow him to fall to the second. Wisconsin is BC-esque good at putting OL into the league. Second does seem to have possibilities as far as finding good OL talent. Warford would be welcomed. Jets could definitely use a jumbo mauler between D'Brick and Mangold.

Archived