Jets cut Pace, E. Smith, J. Smith and Josh Baker....meeting with Keller's agent

Matt39

If they re-sign Keller it won't make me think any good things about this "new" FO. 

If they can resign him for a small cost, why not?  The team has nothing at the skills position and this draft doesnt offer much.  Besides, its a known quantity who would give them some flexibility in the draft and FA...but I like him more than others, so I'm probably biased. 

Hope they can work something out with Keller (at a reasonable rate).

As far as Eric Smith being cut?

:corn::cheers::yahoo::thumbup:

Don't trip on your way out!

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Scott still remains a JET.  Let's see how many days that goes on. I think he is still on the team because he might have been willing to take a server paycut.

If they are talking to Keller I hope they are talking not in the 8-9 mill range. That would be grossly overpaying him.

Right now Idzik is on the clock. What the JETS do with Scott and Keller might be the first of the concrete decisions we see him making. Hopefully he impresses us.

Scott still remains a JET.  Let's see how many days that goes on. I think he is still on the team because he might have been willing to take a server paycut.

If they are talking to Keller I hope they are talking not in the 8-9 mill range. That would be grossly overpaying him.

Right now Idzik is on the clock. What the JETS do with Scott and Keller might be the first of the concrete decisions we see him making. Hopefully he impresses us.

The franchise tag # for TEs this year is just under $6 million.  I can't see the Jets going any higher than that, especially since I can't see them tagging anyone else (given they can't use it on Landry).  None of Greene, DeVito, Moore or Slauson are worth the cost to use it on them (all significantly more than the TE #).

The franchise tag # for TEs this year is just under $6 million.  I can't see the Jets going any higher than that, especially since I can't see them tagging anyone else (given they can't use it on Landry).  None of Greene, DeVito, Moore or Slauson are worth the cost to use it on them (all significantly more than the TE #).

This

Suspect in the next week or so we will be seeing a 4 year $20,000,000 or so deal for Keller, or a tag

Agreed. As a JETS fan I am just in multiple times bitten and (multilple times + 1) shy mode. So I am waiting to see what the new GM does with the Keller situation.

The New York Jets have made a few roster moves releasing safety Eric Smith, linebacker Calvin Pace, offensive lineman Jason Smith, linebacker Bart Scott along with waiving h-back Josh Baker who spent last season on injured-reserved.

The moves free up $31.265 million in salary cap space: Calvin Pace $8.56 million, Jason Smith $12 million, Eric Smith $3 million, Bart Scott $7.15 million and Josh Baker $555,000.  These transactions come as no surprise with the Jets a projected $23 million over the 2013 salary cap and needing to be under it by the start of the new league year March 12th at 4pm.

General manager John Idzik could  look to release or waiver other players for salary savings including: quarterback Tim Tebow $1.055 million and defensive tackle Sione Po’uha $3.835 million but it’s been reported the Jets will keep Tebow on roster after the new league year begins in an attempt to trade him.

Five players will replace those who were cut costing an additional $2.025 million minimum, so the Jets are now approximately $6.25 million under the 2013 salary cap.

Will always love him for this..

Sad that will always be his biggest impact.

Come on, he did much more than that. He brought a toughness that our defense lacked. I respected the hell out of him after one play.  The ball was snapped, Bart just torpedoed himself into the side of a guard that was looking to pull.  The Guard was airborne, I guess that was Barts assignment on the play, destroy the RG...

Come on, he did much more than that. He brought a toughness that our defense lacked. I respected the hell out of him after one play.  The ball was snapped, Bart just torpedoed himself into the side of a guard that was looking to pull.  The Guard was airborne, I guess that was Barts assignment on the play, destroy the RG...

His first 2 seasons were beastly.  What he was doing yet still getting high tackle numbers was very impressive.  He was playing at a very high level.

I agree with your assessment.  He's probably the 2nd biggest reason behind Rex that the Jets went from a middle of the pack defense to best in the league from 08-09.

He's probably the 2nd biggest reason behind Rex that the Jets went from a middle of the pack defense to best in the league from 08-09.

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2009/04/draft-picks-bricklayers-or-gladiators.html

Scott played great for a couple of years, but at the end of the day he just doesn't do anything that isn't readily available if you're willing to pay for it. And pay for it we did. The vast majority of the difference between our defensive performance in 2009 vs. 2008 can be explained by Revis going from merely being a great corner to having one of the best seasons any player has ever had, and by the fact that through some combination of Rex's scheme, the fact that it was our first year running it, and just plain dumb luck, opposing quarterbacks threw at him a hundred times anyway.

Archived