•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dwight Freeney says either NY Giants or NY Jets would be a great fit for him

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 F.Chowds

F.Chowds

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

freeneybox21s-1-web.jpg MICHAEL CONROY/AP  

Dwight Freeney (l.) says he loves New York and would play for the Jets or Giants.

•  

If the Giants or Jets want to sign a free agent pass-rusher, former Colt Dwight Freeney is ready to listen.

Freeney, who was released by Indianapolis earlier this month, said on SiriusXM Radio that he hopes to sign with a contender.

And he openly professed that he would love the idea of suiting up for one of New York’s teams. In fact, Freeney said, he thinks Rex Ryan is “a great guy.”

“I actually know Rex,” he said. “I met him a few times. Rex knows how to free guys up. That would be a good fit.

“A lot of teams would be a good fit.”

The Giants would fit Freeney personally, too.

“I grew up a Giants fan, actually,” said Freeney, who attended Syracuse University. “All my life. So that would be a dream. Wherever I go, I’m just going to give it my all.”

Freeney, who grew up in Connecticut, spent 10 years in Indianapolis, collecting 107.5 sacks, and he was once considered one of the NFL’s most fierce pass-rushers. But he had just five sacks last season, and, at 30, won’t command top dollars as a free agent

#2 Il Mostro

Il Mostro

Cazzone

• Members
  • 5,275 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

He blew last season after being put into a 3-4 scheme.  I could see the Gints signing him for less than top $$ and getting a real bounce back performance getting back in the 4-3.  Jets should steer clear no matter how cheaply he might come.  The guy just isn't an OLB.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun.

#3 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,672 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

He would be a much better pickup than Maybin or Osi as a pass rusher. I've kinda sorta hoped the Jets would show some interest. Great athlete, great player, and those guys are always solid bets to turn into solid role guys late in the career (like Tomlinson did here).

Edited by SenorGato, 21 February 2013 - 11:11 AM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#4 Il Mostro

Il Mostro

Cazzone

• Members
  • 5,275 posts
  • LocationOut West

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

He would be a much better pickup than Maybin or Osi as a pass rusher. I've kinda sorta hoped the Jets would show some interest. Great athlete, great player, and those guys are always solid bets to turn into solid role guys late in the career (like Tomlinson did here).

Going to a team like the Giants and playing at his natural position, I can see Freeney being a mostly 3-down DE for a year or two.  Good fit for him -- I doubt he's ready to be put on the shelf as a situational pass rusher.

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun.

#5 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,044 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Going to a team like the Giants and playing at his natural position, I can see Freeney being a mostly 3-down DE for a year or two.  Good fit for him -- I doubt he's ready to be put on the shelf as a situational pass rusher.

They could find something for him to do here, but I'm sure somebody else could find more.  If he were cheap enough I agree with Gato that he'd be better to have in the Maybin role.  They have some history with vets, having tried to fill that role with Jason Taylor, but Taylor was forced to play way too much because of injuries - Pace broke his foot IIRC. 

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#6 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 9,096 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

They play a bunch of different front so I could see him being solid. If the price is right why not.

#7 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,672 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Situational any players, especially pass rusher, is just hurt by the connotation placed on "situational." They see plenty of time on the field. I'm also not worried about position as OLBs in this D see plenty of DE/hand in the ground work. That said I can see some team beating the Jets' offer.

Edited by SenorGato, 21 February 2013 - 11:40 AM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

#8 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,672 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

I know he's 33 n sh*t, but it's always good to see a player of Freeney's caliber suggest they would play for the Jets. This despite the Jets being so unseemly and stupid.

#9 The Crusher

The Crusher

JiF is all about that bass, bout that bass, no treble

• Moderators
  • 30,068 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

I know he's 33 n sh*t, but it's always good to see a player of Freeney's caliber suggest they would play for the Jets. This despite the Jets being so unseemly and stupid.

The article says he's 30 and sh*t.

#10 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,672 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

Google says he was born in 1980.

Edited by SenorGato, 21 February 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#11 slowmoe57

slowmoe57

Keep Smiling

• Members
  • 5,841 posts
  • LocationAurora Illinois

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

ESPN interview they wished him a Happy 33rd Birthday -- hope that clears things up

Posted Image
Remember weed will get you through times of no money
better than money will get you through times of no weed
TFFFB

#12 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

SO we have Ahmad Bradshaw and Dwight Freeny on our team. Who says no one want sto come here. SO what if they slightly washed up stars!

#13 The Crusher

The Crusher

JiF is all about that bass, bout that bass, no treble

• Moderators
  • 30,068 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

Google says he was born in 1980.

ESPN interview they wished him a Happy 33rd Birthday -- hope that clears things up

Fair enough.

#14 Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Sounds to me like he's more worried about his post-playing career in media than he is in his 2013 season.

photo sports-0009.png

#15 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,044 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

How far back do you think they went for a picture with a Yankee hat?  That's not Zbikowski next to him.  I think it's Marlin Jackson and he hasn't been there in ages. 

#16 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

He's old and doesn't fit here NTM he's terrible against the run. No thanks.

Tank for Teddy.

#17 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

How far back do you think they went for a picture with a Yankee hat?  That's not Zbikowski next to him.  I think it's Marlin Jackson and he hasn't been there in ages. 

Media day 2007 before the superbowl against the bears to be exact.

#18 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,044 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Media day 2007 before the superbowl against the bears to be exact.

Thanks I was just going to post that it was obviously the week of Super Bowl XLI.  It's not like there are huge promotional patches on the jerseys or anything...

#19 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,672 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

He's old and doesn't fit here NTM he's terrible against the run. No thanks.

The Jets roster is not in dire need for run stoppers. Not a reason to avoid him. Plus he's probably underrated there anyway.

#20 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 25,956 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

He would not be a good fit in our 3 -4 scheme. Giants would make sense for him.

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#21 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Thanks I was just going to post that it was obviously the week of Super Bowl XLI.  It's not like there are huge promotional patches on the jerseys or anything...

Haha I figured as much, but in my impatient state, I decided to reply anyway.   I remember two things about Marlin Jackson; intercepting Tom Brady in the playoffs and being the only NFL player/person I know to win a defamation suit and winning a couple hundred thousand.  My roommate's older brother at the time was in law school and I remember him going on and on about how defamation is so hard to prove and win in court and when that came out he just made a huge deal about it.  

#22 T0mShane

T0mShane

You can smell the death upon him.

• Members
  • 29,349 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:41 AM

And Terrell Owens.
Well, that's the internet, man: 9 billion tough guys who secretly want to touch your pee-pee.

#23 Integrity28

Integrity28

Told you so.

• Members
  • 35,336 posts
  • Locationwrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

Pretty sure Dline is the only area on this team that does NOT need over-priced help. Though I love to have him as a Jet, it doesn't make sense.

Edited by Integrity28, 22 February 2013 - 07:10 AM.

"Idz a process."

Posted Image

#24 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,672 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Pretty sure Dline is the only area on this team that does NOT need over-priced help. Though I love to have him as a Jet, it doesn't make sense.

What about pass rushers? This team isn't loaded with those guys.

#25 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 28,044 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

What about pass rushers? This team isn't loaded with those guys.

I hear that is our biggest problem. If we had those we could be trotting Aaron Ross and Wilson out to play corner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users