Dwight Freeney says either NY Giants or NY Jets would be a great fit for him

F.Chowds

freeneybox21s-1-web.jpg MICHAEL CONROY/AP  

Dwight Freeney (l.) says he loves New York and would play for the Jets or Giants.

•  

If the Giants or Jets want to sign a free agent pass-rusher, former Colt Dwight Freeney is ready to listen.

Freeney, who was released by Indianapolis earlier this month, said on SiriusXM Radio that he hopes to sign with a contender.

And he openly professed that he would love the idea of suiting up for one of New York’s teams. In fact, Freeney said, he thinks Rex Ryan is “a great guy.”

“I actually know Rex,” he said. “I met him a few times. Rex knows how to free guys up. That would be a good fit.

“A lot of teams would be a good fit.”

The Giants would fit Freeney personally, too.

“I grew up a Giants fan, actually,” said Freeney, who attended Syracuse University. “All my life. So that would be a dream. Wherever I go, I’m just going to give it my all.”

Freeney, who grew up in Connecticut, spent 10 years in Indianapolis, collecting 107.5 sacks, and he was once considered one of the NFL’s most fierce pass-rushers. But he had just five sacks last season, and, at 30, won’t command top dollars as a free agent

He blew last season after being put into a 3-4 scheme.  I could see the Gints signing him for less than top $$ and getting a real bounce back performance getting back in the 4-3.  Jets should steer clear no matter how cheaply he might come.  The guy just isn't an OLB.

He would be a much better pickup than Maybin or Osi as a pass rusher. I've kinda sorta hoped the Jets would show some interest. Great athlete, great player, and those guys are always solid bets to turn into solid role guys late in the career (like Tomlinson did here).

Going to a team like the Giants and playing at his natural position, I can see Freeney being a mostly 3-down DE for a year or two.  Good fit for him -- I doubt he's ready to be put on the shelf as a situational pass rusher.

Going to a team like the Giants and playing at his natural position, I can see Freeney being a mostly 3-down DE for a year or two.  Good fit for him -- I doubt he's ready to be put on the shelf as a situational pass rusher.

They could find something for him to do here, but I'm sure somebody else could find more.  If he were cheap enough I agree with Gato that he'd be better to have in the Maybin role.  They have some history with vets, having tried to fill that role with Jason Taylor, but Taylor was forced to play way too much because of injuries - Pace broke his foot IIRC. 

Situational any players, especially pass rusher, is just hurt by the connotation placed on "situational." They see plenty of time on the field. I'm also not worried about position as OLBs in this D see plenty of DE/hand in the ground work. That said I can see some team beating the Jets' offer.

Thanks I was just going to post that it was obviously the week of Super Bowl XLI.  It's not like there are huge promotional patches on the jerseys or anything...

Haha I figured as much, but in my impatient state, I decided to reply anyway.   I remember two things about Marlin Jackson; intercepting Tom Brady in the playoffs and being the only NFL player/person I know to win a defamation suit and winning a couple hundred thousand.  My roommate's older brother at the time was in law school and I remember him going on and on about how defamation is so hard to prove and win in court and when that came out he just made a huge deal about it.  

What about pass rushers? This team isn't loaded with those guys.

It would be great to add pass rushers, but didn't Freeney struggle this year in the 3-4? Not sure I'd consider him a pass rusher at OLB. I don't plan on looking it up, in fact, I don't even plan to read the rest of the thread to figure out if this is a genuine response, or just part of another one of you idiotic campaigns for attention.

It would be great to add pass rushers, but didn't Freeney struggle this year in the 3-4? Not sure I'd consider him a pass rusher at OLB. I don't plan on looking it up, in fact, I don't even plan to read the rest of the thread to figure out if this is a genuine response, or just part of another one of you idiotic campaigns for attention.

Why would it be an idiotic response?  The kid might as well do nothing but post sarcastic crap because nobody pays attention to his other posts in this thread.  We agree Freeny isn't best suited to the 3-4, however the Jets do not play straight 3-4 and we aren't looking for Freeny to play every down OLB.  We are looking for him to play the Jason Taylor/Aaron Maybin role. I don't see  plenty of reasons to think he would excel in that role, though his price will undoubtedly be too high to do only that.  Gato said that, but hey he must be defending Schotty in there somewhere. 

Rotfl forever a tool. You're a basic level sh*t talker dude. 

We agree Freeny isn't best suited to the 3-4, however the Jets do not play straight 3-4 and we aren't looking for Freeny to play every down OLB.  We are looking for him to play the Jason Taylor/Aaron Maybin role. I don't see  plenty of reasons to think he would excel in that role, though his price will undoubtedly be too high to do only that.  Gato said that, but hey he must be defending Schotty in there somewhere. 

Exactly. That said, the exactly is coming from a guy who thought Vince Oghobaase was going to change the very face of football defense in the 21st century.

Freeney would be an asset on a team that doesn't have many assets, and doesn't have that specific asset. Ask him to do what he's done best for over a decade - rush the passer - and this team probably just bought 7+ sacks. At the right price it's worth it. 

Isn't the idea for this team to get younger and develop players with upside potential?

It's one idea in a large group of ideas on how to build a team. Most are capable of mixing with each other. Signing Freeney doesn't stop the draft from happening, but it does fill a roster hole with a former elite NFL talent seemingly looking for a reduced role. He said it himself that the Jets' D would get him favorable matchups. 

Should throw in that he's only played with a DT of Wilkerson's caliber once. That would be Corey Simon in 2005. 

27 brought it up, but with this board's desperate push to trade Revis by faaaaaaar the best way to cover that loss (on defense, obviously a QB is an even better option) is to improve the pass rushers on the roster. 

Why would it be an idiotic response?  The kid might as well do nothing but post sarcastic crap because nobody pays attention to his other posts in this thread.  We agree Freeny isn't best suited to the 3-4, however the Jets do not play straight 3-4 and we aren't looking for Freeny to play every down OLB.  We are looking for him to play the Jason Taylor/Aaron Maybin role. I don't see  plenty of reasons to think he would excel in that role, though his price will undoubtedly be too high to do only that.  Gato said that, but hey he must be defending Schotty in there somewhere. 

Freeney's price tag is going to be that of an every-down player, no? I get your point, and what the ideal role for him would be with us. I don't think the Jets should pay top-tier FA money for a role player. If he's not looking for full-time role or pay, then sure, it's a viable option, if he wants to get paid. Forget it. I honestly would prefer we pursue free agents to play in our base formations before getting elite role players, lol

As far as Gato goes... meh. 

Rotfl forever a tool. You're a basic level sh*t talker dude. 

Hahahaha... you goofball. It wasn't meant as sh*t talk, just a qualifier that I didn't know if you were being serious or doing your "look at me" thing.

Tell me more about me. Please.

Freeney's price tag is going to be that of an every-down player, no? I get your point, and what the ideal role for him would be with us. I don't think the Jets should pay top-tier FA money for a role player. If he's not looking for full-time role or pay, then sure, it's a viable option, if he wants to get paid. Forget it. I honestly would prefer we pursue free agents to play in our base formations before getting elite role players, lol

As far as Gato goes... meh. 

Hahahaha... you goofball. It wasn't meant as sh*t talk, just a qualifier that I didn't know if you were being serious or doing your "look at me" thing.

Tell me more about me. Please.

That's why I posted that.  You don't get to point your finger at Gato on this one because you were too lazy to read the thread.  

That's why I posted that.  You don't get to point your finger at Gato on this one because you were too lazy to read the thread.  

Wasn't pointing my finger, like I said, it was just a qualifying statement because I didn't know if I waltzed in in the middle of his typically trolling routine, and therefore didn't know and didn't care if he was being genuine with his question.

Save the lecture. I'll do what I want, dummy.

Archived