Rex Ryan on Quinton Coples

Maxman

On how Quinton Coples played in his rookie season…

He’s a young man who I thought really came on. As the year went on, I thought his play started to take off a little bit. He’s certainly a guy that we’re excited about. He’s just scratching the surface. We’re kind of approaching him the same way we approached Terrell Suggs (in Baltimore). I remember Ozzie Newsome coming to me and saying, “Rex, we’re going to put Terrell in your room. So you take a guy that’s a rush linebacker-type guy and you put him in that defensive line room.

We did the same thing with Quinton. I see him as a guy that can maybe be more of an edge presence than he was that first year, but having him go through that, putting him over a guard, putting him over tackles, even over centers, I think it’s good because when you put him over tight ends, it’s a lot easier to knock those guys back and you have a lot of confidence when you face those double-teams. That was kind of what we did with him, but I’m expecting big things from him. Like I said, I think he’s just now scratching the surface.  

I think the Suggs comparision is interesting.  Not because he is being brought up slow - we heard that bull about Gholston.  More the stuff about starting him out with the Dline and then moving him to the edge.  Talking about putting him over TEs?  I look forward to seeing some of this.  If that works, even to a limited extent, they may do well signing Devito back. 

On how Quinton Coples played in his rookie season…

He’s a young man who I thought really came on. As the year went on, I thought his play started to take off a little bit. He’s certainly a guy that we’re excited about. He’s just scratching the surface. We’re kind of approaching him the same way we approached Terrell Suggs (in Baltimore). I remember Ozzie Newsome coming to me and saying, “Rex, we’re going to put Terrell in your room. So you take a guy that’s a rush linebacker-type guy and you put him in that defensive line room.

We did the same thing with Quinton. I see him as a guy that can maybe be more of an edge presence than he was that first year, but having him go through that, putting him over a guard, putting him over tackles, even over centers, I think it’s good because when you put him over tight ends, it’s a lot easier to knock those guys back and you have a lot of confidence when you face those double-teams. That was kind of what we did with him, but I’m expecting big things from him. Like I said, I think he’s just now scratching the surface.  

Yeah

Pouha’s no lock to make the team with a $6,000,000 salary plus he was hurt last year.

Ellis still has some jail time to do, and IMO he was disappointing last year

He's a huge ?

I agree with Mick.  Ellis is a question mark, but I don't agree with Fl.  I don't think he was disappointing.  In fact, he was a pleasant surprise for me.  I think those guys take time to develop and I didn't expect a world beater, but he looked capable with flashes of potential dominance.  Durability is also going to be a concern. IMO they will need another legit body.  Pouha at a reduced price or somebody else.  I don't think I want to count on Harrison for the amount of snaps that will be necessary, unless they sign Devito and use him there a bit. 

I agree with Mick.  Ellis is a question mark, but I don't agree with Fl.  I don't think he was disappointing.  In fact, he was a pleasant surprise for me.  I think those guys take time to develop and I didn't expect a world beater, but he looked capable with flashes of potential dominance.  Durability is also going to be a concern. IMO they will need another legit body.  Pouha at a reduced price or somebody else.  I don't think I want to count on Harrison for the amount of snaps that will be necessary, unless they sign Devito and use him there a bit. 

Maybe I was expecting to much of him.

The run D really seemed to sag when he was in.  From watching him it seemed like he was frequently standing up to much, and getting pushed off the ball.

The good news is that he will probably be allowed to go to his old school and work out daily, as a work release, like he did last year.

At least he’ll be forced to work out and be in good shape when he comes in.

Maybe I was expecting to much of him.

The run D really seemed to sag when he was in.  From watching him it seemed like he was frequently standing up to much, and getting pushed off the ball.

The good news is that he will probably be allowed to go to his old school and work out daily, as a work release, like he did last year.

At least he’ll be forced to work out and be in good shape when he comes in.

I think we probably feel the same about how Ellis played, with vastly differing expectations.  Coming into this season I feel everyone is going to have huge expectations for Coples and I have not seen enough to have them.  I'm expecting starter quality play from him, not a monster. 

I think the Suggs comparision is interesting. Not because he is being brought up slow - we heard that bull about Gholston. More the stuff about starting him out with the Dline and then moving him to the edge. Talking about putting him over TEs? I look forward to seeing some of this. If that works, even to a limited extent, they may do well signing Devito back.

Yep. Agreed. Only problem though is during his college and 1 year pro career Coples has looked much more comfortable inside than out. Hopefully it just takes some more coaching and development. Would be great to see.

Maybe it's edge as in 4-3 DE, which he's fine for. Rex did compare him to guys like Pryce and Ellis before, I think. Those guys were DE/DTs. Justin Tuck-ish, except Tuck spent his whole career in a 4-3 (so far)?

Suggs seems like an odd comparison. Coples might be on par as an athlete, at least pre-Ravens Brand Roids Suggs. 

I think the Suggs comparision is interesting.  Not because he is being brought up slow - we heard that bull about Gholston.  More the stuff about starting him out with the Dline and then moving him to the edge.  Talking about putting him over TEs?  I look forward to seeing some of this.  If that works, even to a limited extent, they may do well signing Devito back. 

Pretty sure I've read somewhere that DeVito was one of their priorities this offseason.

Maybe it's edge as in 4-3 DE, which he's fine for. Rex did compare him to guys like Pryce and Ellis before, I think. Those guys were DE/DTs. Justin Tuck-ish, except Tuck spent his whole career in a 4-3 (so far)?

Suggs seems like an odd comparison. Coples might be on par as an athlete, at least pre-Ravens Brand Roids Suggs. 

Maybe.  Rex specifically mentioned lining him up over the TE, but in the context of facing double teams - presumably TE and OT.

I think the Suggs comparision is interesting. Not because he is being brought up slow - we heard that bull about Gholston. More the stuff about starting him out with the Dline and then moving him to the edge. Talking about putting him over TEs? I look forward to seeing some of this. If that works, even to a limited extent, they may do well signing Devito back.

The only difference is that Coples showed he could play. They should certainly resign DeVito, no matter what their opinion of Coples is IMO.

Regarding Ellis; I'm in your camp. Surprised me a lot and I was very high on him coming out of the draft. Think he could be a player in this league, he's just going to have to figure out how to be the space occupier Rex needs in the defense. I think Pouha being hurt forced him into action maybe a bit too early. He's still raw, stands up too much in the run, but I think he can be a solid player this season if he stays healthy.

If the Jets can find some OLB's, every level of the D will be solid IMO.

Archived