The NY Jets QB Situation

JetNation

You simply can’t hold a NY Jets press conference without some QB talk.  Rex Ryan and John Idzik provided some updates on Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow.  For those of you playing the home version; Tebow will be traded or released.  While Sanchez will have a shot at winning the starting job next year.  How good that shot will be depends on who they can bring in to compete against him (more on that later).

Rex Ryan

On whether Mark Sanchez enters the season as the starter…
Number one, you heard what John talked about, the competition. We’re going to bring in competition at every position, not just the quarterback position. That is what we want to do here. So to say, Mark Sanchez, or this quarterback or that quarterback, I think there’s clearly going to be competition at that position.

On whether Sanchez’s best days are ahead of him…
I always think a young player can improve. I don’t think there is any doubt. I think if you look at Mark, what is he, 25/26 years old? In the life of a quarterback, I don’t think that’s over the hill by any stretch.

On whether Tebow will be a part of the quarterback competition…
Currently, when you look at everything, Tim is under contract to be a New York Jet. We’ll see how things go in the offseason, but Tim is under contract.

On whether Tebow will be a part of the competition at quarterback…
I think everything is too early to tell right now. We really don’t know how the offseason goes, how the draft goes, how free agency goes. There are a lot of variables involved in things. Before I go on record with any statement like that, I realize now that it’s a long process.

John Idzik
On evaluating Mark Sanchez after the 2012 season…
I don’t limit it to last year. I think it’s a full book. Mark Sanchez has been in the league for a couple of years, and I think everyone, Mark included, recognizes that he, our offense — shoot, our team as a whole — has to perform better than we did in 2012. And we’re going to do that. We’re going to do everything to increase the competition so that he plays better. We’ve got a new offensive coordinator, we have a new quarterback coach, we have staff changes that I think will be healthy for Mark and so that we can again get the juices flowing and turn the page into 2013, not look back to 2012, start anew and get rolling.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mark Sanchez sucks. The jets should cut him now and stopw asting their time. As a free agent he might not get an offer above NFL minimum to be msot teams' 3rd QB.

If the head caoch doesn't understand that,whatever he says to the press, it's past time to send him packing.

Also,after watching Wrecks's offenses have pussy offensive game plans week after week, who gives a sheet what he thinks about any QB. He needs to go get that DC position somewhere else. it's all he's good at. See ya, toesucker.

He basically just said Tebow's gone.  That's the only thing I read in there.  Not exactly breaking news, but confirmation for sure.

LMAO.. wishful thinking..

How you get that "Tebow is gone" from the statements of a full on idiot playing HC on an NFL team is insane..to say the least.

IF anything, what is being said here is "Mark Sanchez is QB for 2013.."  IF Tebow is gone, then why even mention it ? He's gone..as of like three months ago, according to most here. 

The way this big top is being assembled, don't be surprised if ..   well, just don't be surprised... HA HA..

if the Jets cut him they pay him 8.5 mil to hold a clipboard for another team.  I say look for FA or mid rounders and pay him 8.5 to hold a clip board here. 

If some other NFL is dumb enough to offer Nacho sh*tbag a contract that's on them.Wrecks Ryan thought so much of him that he didn't play Sanchez in the last home game. There's no point, salary cap be damned. Sanchez is done here. The jets aren't winning more than 6 games in 2013, the least they can do is cut bait.

If some other NFL is dumb enough to offer Nacho sh*tbag a contract that's on them.Wrecks Ryan thought so much of him that he didn't play Sanchez in the last home game. There's no point, salary cap be damned. Sanchez is done here. The jets aren't winning more than 6 games in 2013, the least they can do is cut bait.

My dream is that Idzik gets Sanchez and Holmes off the roster before training camp. He does that, he becomes my favorite.

Problem is, it won't be a clean break.  According to Jason's site cutting Sanchez now creates 17+ million in dead money.  There's just no upside in doing that.

That money is hitting our cap no matter what.  Since it's Sanchez we're talking about, it's dead money whether he's here or not.

Might as well not poison 2014 and beyond, which is what keeping him this year does.

My dream is that Idzik gets Sanchez and Holmes off the roster before training camp. He does that, he becomes my favorite.

Holmes is a dick, but it's far less imperative.  He's a WR and therefore, unlike QB (2012 Jets notwithstanding) he can be taken off the field at any time for any length of time.  Also unlike Sanchez, Holmes is actually talented.  No matter how overrated that talent might be or might have been, he is talented enough to be considered a good starting WR.

I can deal with that for 1 more year and wouldn't hold that against Idzik at all if he in fact got rid of Sanchez (longshot that it probably is).

Holmes is a dick, but it's far less imperative. He's a WR and therefore, unlike QB (2012 Jets notwithstanding) he can be taken off the field at any time for any length of time. Also unlike Sanchez, Holmes is actually talented. No matter how overrated that talent might be or might have been, he is talented enough to be considered a good starting WR.

I can deal with that for 1 more year and wouldn't hold that against Idzik at all if he in fact got rid of Sanchez (longshot that it probably is).

Holmes is talented, but--next to Sanchez--he's the guy who really destroyed the team for Rex. Not holding him--or Sanchez--accountable for screwing the team, particularly after last season's Philly game, turned the locker room. Sanchez exposed Tannenbaum, but Holmes is the one who exposed Rex.

Keep a few things in mind on Holmes.  He may not even be healthy to play.   Not saying he won’t be, but it is a real possibility.

If the Jets were to release him, it would be a savings of 1.2 million I believe.  Of course they would then have to replace him, but it’s different then the Sanchez situation.  If he causes any real trouble he could be cut

On whether Mark Sanchez enters the season as the starter…

Number one, you heard what John talked about, the competition. We’re going to bring in competition at every position, not just the quarterback position. That is what we want to do here. So to say, Mark Sanchez, or this quarterback or that quarterback, I think there’s clearly going to be competition at that position.

Translation:  Like it or not Fans, we're stuck with Sanchez due to the cap situation.  Therefore, he's going to get his chance to win the job, sorry.  But we will at least try and bring in real competition for him at least this year.  If we can.

On whether Sanchez’s best days are ahead of him…

I always think a young player can improve. I don’t think there is any doubt. I think if you look at Mark, what is he, 25/26 years old? In the life of a quarterback, I don’t think that’s over the hill by any stretch.

Translation:  Like I said, stuck with him.  But he's young, maybe some real competition and his job on the line might spark him.  I doubt it, but who knows.

On whether Tebow will be a part of the quarterback competition…

Currently, when you look at everything, Tim is under contract to be a New York Jet. We’ll see how things go in the offseason, but Tim is under contract.

Transalation:  No.

On whether Tebow will be a part of the competition at quarterback…

I think everything is too early to tell right now. We really don’t know how the offseason goes, how the draft goes, how free agency goes. There are a lot of variables involved in things. Before I go on record with any statement like that, I realize now that it’s a long process.

Translation:  No.  You'll know as soon as we trade or release him, now stfu about him already ffs, had enough of this sh*t about a backup player last year, thanks.

John Idzik

On evaluating Mark Sanchez after the 2012 season…

I don’t limit it to last year. I think it’s a full book. Mark Sanchez has been in the league for a couple of years, and I think everyone, Mark included, recognizes that he, our offense — shoot, our team as a whole — has to perform better than we did in 2012. And we’re going to do that. We’re going to do everything to increase the competition so that he plays better. We’ve got a new offensive coordinator, we have a new quarterback coach, we have staff changes that I think will be healthy for Mark and so that we can again get the juices flowing and turn the page into 2013, not look back to 2012, start anew and get rolling.

Translation:  It's my show now, the past is the past. 

Going forward, I'll fix what I can, but some can't be fixed in one year, like Sanchez.  But we aware, no head is safe, and every spot will be up for grabs to the best I can find to put in it, QB included. 

That money is hitting our cap no matter what.  Since it's Sanchez we're talking about, it's dead money whether he's here or not.

Might as well not poison 2014 and beyond, which is what keeping him this year does.

agree let Sanchez play out this season and be done with this whole ugly chapter.

I have zero belief that Sanchez can turn it around.  And I do not think Idzik wants him on the field getting booed for the entire home season of his first year. I imagine he holds a clipboard-that sounds like what the jets would do.  But----would they  even want him on the field after an injury to the starter?   I think not. So why......oh never mind.   I just want him gone.  I hope they do too.

How would 2014 be poisoned?

I can imagine the meltdown in this place if Sanchez  was cut and picked up by another team and goes on to have a good year. It would be epic. If there is no cap savings by cutting him, why not try getting something out of him? He's certainly better than McSack, so at worst you make Sanchez the 3rd stringer and competition. At least you get something out of  it.

I look at it this way, you're playing with house money. Why not take a gamble and see if he finally "gets it"? If not, you lose nothing and he's gone in 2014. Otherwise you get a payoff to some degree.

I think the intense hatred of Sanchez blinds some people around here.

I can imagine the meltdown in this place if Sanchez  was cut and picked up by another team and goes on to have a good year. It would be epic. If there is no cap savings by cutting him, why not try getting something out of him? He's certainly better than McSack, so at worst you make Sanchez the 3rd stringer and competition. At least you get something out of  it.

I look at it this way, you're playing with house money. Why not take a gamble and see if he finally "gets it"? If not, you lose nothing and he's gone in 2014. Otherwise you get a payoff to some degree.

I think Sperm may also be alluding to fact that Sanchez might not be best for Locker Room at this point, especially if he loses job to a incoming FA or draft pick.

I think Sperm may also be alluding to fact that Sanchez might not be best for Locker Room at this point, especially if he loses job to a incoming FA or draft pick.

OK, then fine him for conduct detrimental to the team to the extent possible and then cut him if it does become a distraction. Sanchez pouts, but I don't see him  being a cancer - not if he wants to catch on with another team anyway.

Regardless, as I said you are playing with house money so if the worst should happen cut his a$$.

Because millions will hit the cap in 2014.  And whatever extra cap room we don't use in 2014 won't get pushed to 2015 (and so on, for as long as we have any extra space).

If we cut him now, he has zero hit in 2014.

If we keep him now, he has a $5M hit in 2014 if we DON'T keep him.

If we keep him in 2014 (not happening)

Intense hatred of Sanchez? It's intense hatred of a horrible QB who has gobbled up massive amounts of cap room and is the reason we don't have a SB ring.  Can't expect shutouts & near-shutouts every week.

Lastly, he is not going elsewhere and doing well.  Just stop with that.  You are as likely to become a good QB as Sanchez is.  He's flat-out awful.  Except for selling the play-action well (big whoop) I can't think of a single thing he's good or even acceptably mediocre at. He's a bum.

Nah.  I just want him gone.  Jets are not winning a SB this year so it makes little sense to me to prolong the poisoning of our cap space into 2014.

Actually I think he does have some trade value - maybe as high as a 4th - if we agree to eat all but $1M of his salary.  I would take that instantly, before the other team comes to its senses.

I am not in favor of tanking the season and I am not in favor of this take all our lumps on salary this year.  They will  have plenty of money next year.  Having a ton of cap space just leads to overspending on guys.  Get a good guy or two this year and don't be afraid to push a small amount to next year.  Certainly not the prorated portion of the Sanchez bonus.

For better or worst, that is exactly what the Jets are going to do.

Worst thing that can happen is Sanchez has a decent year.  Team goes 9-7 is one and done in playoffs.  At this point it doesn't look like next years QB draft is much better then this year's.  We'll be going through this again next off season

Holmes is talented, but--next to Sanchez--he's the guy who really destroyed the team for Rex. Not holding him--or Sanchez--accountable for screwing the team, particularly after last season's Philly game, turned the locker room. Sanchez exposed Tannenbaum, but Holmes is the one who exposed Rex.

Just throw him the damn ball.

Archived