109 replies to this topic

#26 SouthernJet

SouthernJet

Hey, nice marmot!

• Members
  • 30,439 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

How would 2014 be poisoned?

I can imagine the meltdown in this place if Sanchez  was cut and picked up by another team and goes on to have a good year. It would be epic. If there is no cap savings by cutting him, why not try getting something out of him? He's certainly better than McSack, so at worst you make Sanchez the 3rd stringer and competition. At least you get something out of  it.

I look at it this way, you're playing with house money. Why not take a gamble and see if he finally "gets it"? If not, you lose nothing and he's gone in 2014. Otherwise you get a payoff to some degree.

I think the intense hatred of Sanchez blinds some people around here.

I think Sperm may also be alluding to fact that Sanchez might not be best for Locker Room at this point, especially if he loses job to a incoming FA or draft pick.

Posted Image

"No straight lines make up my life, and all my roads have bends;
There's no clear-cut beginnings, and so far no dead-ends."

#27 billo83

billo83

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

I think Sperm may also be alluding to fact that Sanchez might not be best for Locker Room at this point, especially if he loses job to a incoming FA or draft pick.

OK, then fine him for conduct detrimental to the team to the extent possible and then cut him if it does become a distraction. Sanchez pouts, but I don't see him  being a cancer - not if he wants to catch on with another team anyway.

Regardless, as I said you are playing with house money so if the worst should happen cut his a$$.

#28 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 26,323 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I didn't see anything wrong with how Sanchez conducted himself after being benched.  He seemed supportive to me. He seemed to have a better attitude as a backup than as a sulky starter. 

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#29 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 26,982 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I can imagine the meltdown in this place if Sanchez  was cut and picked up by another team and goes on to have a good year. It would be epic. If there is no cap savings by cutting him, why not try getting something out of him? He's certainly better than McSack, so at worst you make Sanchez the 3rd stringer and competition. At least you get something out of  it.

I look at it this way, you're playing with house money. Why not take a gamble and see if he finally "gets it"? If not, you lose nothing and he's gone in 2014. Otherwise you get a payoff to some degree.

Because millions will hit the cap in 2014.  And whatever extra cap room we don't use in 2014 won't get pushed to 2015 (and so on, for as long as we have any extra space).

If we cut him now, he has zero hit in 2014.

If we keep him now, he has a $5M hit in 2014 if we DON'T keep him.

If we keep him in 2014 (not happening)

Intense hatred of Sanchez? It's intense hatred of a horrible QB who has gobbled up massive amounts of cap room and is the reason we don't have a SB ring.  Can't expect shutouts & near-shutouts every week.

Lastly, he is not going elsewhere and doing well.  Just stop with that.  You are as likely to become a good QB as Sanchez is.  He's flat-out awful.  Except for selling the play-action well (big whoop) I can't think of a single thing he's good or even acceptably mediocre at. He's a bum.

JetNation

2446sd4.jpg

Morn - hin - weg

#30 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 26,982 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

Nah.  I just want him gone.  Jets are not winning a SB this year so it makes little sense to me to prolong the poisoning of our cap space into 2014.

Actually I think he does have some trade value - maybe as high as a 4th - if we agree to eat all but $1M of his salary.  I would take that instantly, before the other team comes to its senses.

JetNation

2446sd4.jpg

Morn - hin - weg

#31 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 26,323 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

I am not in favor of tanking the season and I am not in favor of this take all our lumps on salary this year.  They will  have plenty of money next year.  Having a ton of cap space just leads to overspending on guys.  Get a good guy or two this year and don't be afraid to push a small amount to next year.  Certainly not the prorated portion of the Sanchez bonus.

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#32 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 16,510 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

For better or worst, that is exactly what the Jets are going to do.

Worst thing that can happen is Sanchez has a decent year.  Team goes 9-7 is one and done in playoffs.  At this point it doesn't look like next years QB draft is much better then this year's.  We'll be going through this again next off season

#33 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 26,982 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

Holmes is talented, but--next to Sanchez--he's the guy who really destroyed the team for Rex. Not holding him--or Sanchez--accountable for screwing the team, particularly after last season's Philly game, turned the locker room. Sanchez exposed Tannenbaum, but Holmes is the one who exposed Rex.

Just throw him the damn ball.

JetNation

2446sd4.jpg

Morn - hin - weg

#34 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 56,690 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Sanchez is going to win the starting job.

#35 faba

faba

• Moderators
  • 24,550 posts
  • LocationHolmdel

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

So who do you think is going to be his competition? What Experienced QB will will bring in?

Treat people with how you want to be treated-with respect.

#36 Jetsouth

Jetsouth

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

At least we know why Sanchez stayed *in place* last year.. they knew he had to be QB again this year, no way were they going

to allow any real competition.  There won't be any this year either..

#37 billo83

billo83

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Because millions will hit the cap in 2014.  And whatever extra cap room we don't use in 2014 won't get pushed to 2015 (and so on, for as long as we have any extra space).

If we cut him now, he has zero hit in 2014.

If we keep him now, he has a $5M hit in 2014 if we DON'T keep him.

If we keep him in 2014 (not happening)

Intense hatred of Sanchez? It's intense hatred of a horrible QB who has gobbled up massive amounts of cap room and is the reason we don't have a SB ring.  Can't expect shutouts & near-shutouts every week.

Lastly, he is not going elsewhere and doing well.  Just stop with that.  You are as likely to become a good QB as Sanchez is.  He's flat-out awful.  Except for selling the play-action well (big whoop) I can't think of a single thing he's good or even acceptably mediocre at. He's a bum.

And it's a much bigger cap hit than 8.5 if they cut him this year, no?

If it's going to cost me at least 8.5 million now matter what, I'd rather see what I  can get out of him. He's at rock bottom right now, so there's nowhere to go but up. Maybe with a new QB coach coach (Cavanuagh was worthless) and OC, and some decent receivers, juts maybe you'll get something out of him. Last season he was crippled with JV receivers, no protection, his favorite target and safety valve out for half the season, and an absolute moron calling the plays.

Now I'm not making excuses for Sanchez, nor am I a big of his. But given the circumstances of last season, I can't see him doing any worse and more that likely play better. So since it's already costing you a bundle, why not see what you can get out of him. I'd rather bring in legit competition and let Sanchez try to win the job. I'd rather see Sanchez on the roster than McSack given that it's costing 9 mil no matter what.

Yes, there is intense hatred of Sanchez, a lot of justified. However, I think a lot of the hatred is because of the riduculous salary he gets. I could tell from your comment that burns you. Well, blame Tanny 100% on that one. Is Sanchez supossed to turn that down, and say he's got to earn it first? Would you do that?

#38 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 13,943 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

That really cannot happen. We need MCElroy or Stanton or free ageny, draftee or tradee QB X here.

I'm with Sperm; there's no point to Sanchez. Get rid of him sooner rather than later and while 2013 will still suck(a given) at least you open up big cap room in 2014.

Idzik will pay lip service to the idea of ning in 2013 because that's the job. Wrecks will play along because whether he pulls an unlikely great season in 2013 and secures a Jets HC contract for 2014  or the team screws the pooch and he's looking for hisn ext DC gig next January, he has a reputation to maintain.We're going to be told this is a young team filled with young guys with promise learning on the job. It may even be true. That we can hope for.

Objective-Glendale, Arizona

Super Bowl 49-February, 2015

#39 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 13,943 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

I didn't see anything wrong with how Sanchez conducted himself after being benched.  He seemed supportive to me. He seemed to have a better attitude as a backup than as a sulky starter. 

If you contrast Sanchez's pouty crap after numerous INTs with how Eli Manning dealt with such situations early in his career I beg to differ.

#40 billo83

billo83

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

For better or worst, that is exactly what the Jets are going to do.

Worst thing that can happen is Sanchez has a decent year.  Team goes 9-7 is one and done in playoffs.  At this point it doesn't look like next years QB draft is much better then this year's.  We'll be going through this again next off season

I don't think that's such a bad thing. At worst, it may increase Sanchez trade value.

If I were the Jets,I would draft a QB this year and next. Let this years draft pick learn while Sanchez starts (assuming he wins the job against any potential FA aquisitions) .  Repeat cycle next year. I remember reading a post here that said you should draft a QB every year. I agree with this and given the Jets history, it certainly couldn't hurt to try and find your franchise QB this way.

#41 billo83

billo83

Rookie Free Agent

• Members
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

That really cannot happen. We need MCElroy or Stanton or free ageny, draftee or tradee QB X here.

I'm with Sperm; there's no point to Sanchez. Get rid of him sooner rather than later and while 2013 will still suck(a given) at least you open up big cap room in 2014.

Idzik will pay lip service to the idea of ning in 2013 because that's the job. Wrecks will play along because whether he pulls an unlikely great season in 2013 and secures a Jets HC contract for 2014  or the team screws the pooch and he's looking for hisn ext DC gig next January, he has a reputation to maintain.We're going to be told this is a young team filled with young guys with promise learning on the job. It may even be true. That we can hope for.

What makes you think McSack is an NFL QB? If you think Sanchez is worthless, you don't replace him with someone just as worthless.

I could see maybe bringing Moore in, but any decent FA/Trade will cost too much in cap or compensation. Best route is to draft one or two this year and take a flyer on a UFA or two. Then let them battle it out in camp. If this is going to be a sucky season like you say, why not see if you can find the next Wilson.  

Saying it's going to be a sucky losing season is just another reason for keeping Sanchez another year. He's your stop gap while your draft picks learn the game, if he gets injured you don't care, and if he really sucks again who cares since it's just going to be a losing season anyway. You get something out of that 8.5 mil and maybe lightning will strikes and the light bulb goes on for Sanchez.

#42 Sperm Edwards

Sperm Edwards

Penis

• Moderators
  • 26,982 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

And it's a much bigger cap hit than 8.5 if they cut him this year, no?

If it's going to cost me at least 8.5 million now matter what, I'd rather see what I  can get out of him. He's at rock bottom right now, so there's nowhere to go but up. Maybe with a new QB coach coach (Cavanuagh was worthless) and OC, and some decent receivers, juts maybe you'll get something out of him. Last season he was crippled with JV receivers, no protection, his favorite target and safety valve out for half the season, and an absolute moron calling the plays.

Now I'm not making excuses for Sanchez, nor am I a big of his. But given the circumstances of last season, I can't see him doing any worse and more that likely play better. So since it's already costing you a bundle, why not see what you can get out of him. I'd rather bring in legit competition and let Sanchez try to win the job. I'd rather see Sanchez on the roster than McSack given that it's costing 9 mil no matter what.

Yes, there is intense hatred of Sanchez, a lot of justified. However, I think a lot of the hatred is because of the riduculous salary he gets. I could tell from your comment that burns you. Well, blame Tanny 100% on that one. Is Sanchez supossed to turn that down, and say he's got to earn it first? Would you do that?

The difference is this year is already known to have no SB shot.  So there's no point in spreading the suck into a 2nd or 3rd year.  If there is legit competition, Sanchez loses the job.  If Sanchez wins the job, it wasn't legit competition.

There is no fixing him.  He isn't talented enough from the neck up, nor is his arm accurate enough, to be a good NFL QB.  This will not change.  You can't un-stupid him no matter who he's surrounded with.  

Do you seriously think we are superbowl contenders this year? There are stop-gap players or outright holes at half our starting positions.

• We have no starting QB. Sanchez does not count.  There are no good FA QBs and if there were any we couldn't afford them anyway.  And it's supposed to be this terrible pool of QB talent.  Doesn't mean none will be good, but the likelihood of any being average or better as rookies seems pretty slim.
  • Neither of our 2 RBs seem to have any "it" factor.  I'm ok with that, but only if we have a serious passing game, which we don't.
  • 1 starting WR may not even play and is a notorious douche.  The other starter can't catch or run routes, fast as he is.  Our slot receiver is pretty good.
  • Our starting TE (Cumberland) is a backup TE.
  • Our LT and C positions are set.  We're going to bring Howard back because he's a RFA and cheap, but not because he's so awesome.  As of today our 2 guards are Ducasse and I guess Schlauderaff - two backup/stopgap guys - until the draft.  They're both backups.
  • Now even with that we might be able to get by if we had a really good QB.  But we don't.
  • We have no starting OLBers except backup players starting due to lack of talent and money.  Presumably we'll draft one this year, but the other is going to be McEntyre or Sapp or someone similar.
  • One of our starting ILBers is the NFL's most overpaid player this side of Mark Sanchez, and runs like a pregnant hippo expecting quintuplets.  The other is fast and would seem to look the part, but he hardly wowed as a rookie.
  • We potentially have 2 great CBs. One of whom needs a big new contract extension right now - which will eat up some more of the minuscule cap space we have - or we'll have to trade him before the season.  The other is very good but had a great season in '12.  The next guy on the bubble is only good when the throw is off the mark or the receiver drops the pass and stinks otherwise.
  • We have no starting safeties.  Josh Bush may be ok but he's never started.  
  • Oh yeah, and the depth behind these guys is non-existent.  

The roster is in deep sh*t, we don't have the cap room to noticeably improve it, so we're not winning sh*t.  I'd like to not f*ck up 2014+ as much as possible.

JetNation

2446sd4.jpg

Morn - hin - weg

#43 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

Holmes is talented, but--next to Sanchez--he's the guy who really destroyed the team for Rex. Not holding him--or Sanchez--accountable for screwing the team, particularly after last season's Philly game, turned the locker room. Sanchez exposed Tannenbaum, but Holmes is the one who exposed Rex.

this whole idea that Holmes destroyed the team is garbage. The only thing that destroyed the jets was not having any good players and the worst QB in the NFL. A wr can't destroy a team even if he wanted to.
Tank for Teddy.

#44 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,812 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

if he does there wasn't a true competition.
Tank for Teddy.

#45 Maxman

Maxman

Mr. Jet Nation

• Administrators
  • 56,690 posts
  • LocationJN Server Room

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

if he does there wasn't a true competition.

The difference is this year is already known to have no SB shot.  So there's no point in spreading the suck into a 2nd or 3rd year.  If there is legit competition, Sanchez loses the job.  If Sanchez wins the job, it wasn't legit competition.

There is no fixing him.  He isn't talented enough from the neck up, nor is his arm accurate enough, to be a good NFL QB.  This will not change.  You can't un-stupid him no matter who he's surrounded with.  

Do you seriously think we are superbowl contenders this year? There are stop-gap players or outright holes at half our starting positions.

• We have no starting QB. Sanchez does not count.  There are no good FA QBs and if there were any we couldn't afford them anyway.  And it's supposed to be this terrible pool of QB talent.  Doesn't mean none will be good, but the likelihood of any being average or better as rookies seems pretty slim.
  • Neither of our 2 RBs seem to have any "it" factor.  I'm ok with that, but only if we have a serious passing game, which we don't.
  • 1 starting WR may not even play and is a notorious douche.  The other starter can't catch or run routes, fast as he is.  Our slot receiver is pretty good.
  • Our starting TE (Cumberland) is a backup TE.
  • Our LT and C positions are set.  We're going to bring Howard back because he's a RFA and cheap, but not because he's so awesome.  As of today our 2 guards are Ducasse and I guess Schlauderaff - two backup/stopgap guys - until the draft.  They're both backups.
  • Now even with that we might be able to get by if we had a really good QB.  But we don't.
  • We have no starting OLBers except backup players starting due to lack of talent and money.  Presumably we'll draft one this year, but the other is going to be McEntyre or Sapp or someone similar.
  • One of our starting ILBers is the NFL's most overpaid player this side of Mark Sanchez, and runs like a pregnant hippo expecting quintuplets.  The other is fast and would seem to look the part, but he hardly wowed as a rookie.
  • We potentially have 2 great CBs. One of whom needs a big new contract extension right now - which will eat up some more of the minuscule cap space we have - or we'll have to trade him before the season.  The other is very good but had a great season in '12.  The next guy on the bubble is only good when the throw is off the mark or the receiver drops the pass and stinks otherwise.
  • We have no starting safeties.  Josh Bush may be ok but he's never started.  
  • Oh yeah, and the depth behind these guys is non-existent.  

The roster is in deep sh*t, we don't have the cap room to noticeably improve it, so we're not winning sh*t.  I'd like to not f*ck up 2014+ as much as possible.

It will be interesting to see if Marty agrees.  Some QBs have gotten better with time.  Rich Gannon jumps to mind. 

#46 Bugg

Bugg

Of counsel whack job

• Members
  • 13,943 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

What makes you think McSack is an NFL QB? If you think Sanchez is worthless, you don't replace him with someone just as worthless.

I could see maybe bringing Moore in, but any decent FA/Trade will cost too much in cap or compensation. Best route is to draft one or two this year and take a flyer on a UFA or two. Then let them battle it out in camp. If this is going to be a sucky season like you say, why not see if you can find the next Wilson.  

Saying it's going to be a sucky losing season is just another reason for keeping Sanchez another year. He's your stop gap while your draft picks learn the game, if he gets injured you don't care, and if he really sucks again who cares since it's just going to be a losing season anyway. You get something out of that 8.5 mil and maybe lightning will strikes and the light bulb goes on for Sanchez.

To echo Sperm-keeping Sanchez this year has a cost in 2014. Cuyt him now and you free up more cap room. If this is a 4-12/6-10 team, there's no point to overpaying Nacho sh*tbox one penny more.

To clarify-I don't hate him as a person, but with the money he is making at this piss poor level of production he's harming this franchise. Whether he is here or not the QB slot is going to be difficult. But perhaps you could audtion someone for 2014 now  and get an idea what QB X can do. Sanchez is not going to be here in 2014.

#47 bmd71

bmd71

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

What are the cap ramifications in 2014 if we cut Sanchez now as opposed to keeping him for this season?

#48 kelly

kelly

is dancing w/ the devil ~

• Members
  • 2,209 posts
  • Locationdunwoody, ga ! !

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

Mark Sanchez sucks. The jets should cut him now and stopw asting their time. As a free agent he might not get an offer above NFL minimum to be msot teams' 3rd QB.

If the head caoch doesn't understand that,whatever he says to the press, it's past time to send him packing.

Also,after watching Wrecks's offenses have pussy offensive game plans week after week, who gives a sheet what he thinks about any QB. He needs to go get that DC position somewhere else. it's all he's good at. See ya, toesucker.

i ♥ u guys :P.. ...cheers ~ ~

#49 TechJet

TechJet

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on earth in the US eastern time zone

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

Rex Ryan will never give Tebow a chance at QB the dude's much better off else where, leave the Ringling Bros "JETS circus behind and

get his career going again. Rex Ryan is a freaking JOKER!  

#50 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 19,583 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

I might agree with the whole "dump Sanchez" thing if the whole thing wasn't built around "the Jets should tank 2013." Worse is that its not even written as a suggestion, but rather the known outcome (Jets arent winning in 2013). Jet fans and Cubs fans would get along entirely too well.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users