Alex Smith trade effectively done

Matt39

According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, the 49ers have "expressed to others" that an Alex Smith trade is "effectively complete."

Any potential deal cannot be finalized until the new league year begins on March 12. La Canfora does not know the acquiring team, but lists the Chiefs and Jaguars as "two teams that make sense." Both NFL.com and Yahoo Sports have reported in the past three days that the Chiefs were Smith's most dogged pursuer. Although his arm limitations were as evident as ever last season, Smith would be an acceptable stop-gap option in Andy Reid's West Coast offense. Smith isn't expected to fetch more than a mid-round pick.

The Chiefs make a ton of sense. People are starting to speculate that they should take Geno Smith at #1. So that would end that silly talk and let them concentrate on making the best pick possible.

Acquiring Alex Smith wouldn't preclude drafting Geno Smith, IMO. Alex is going to be the new Jeff Garcia, and allows Reid to squeeze 8 wins out of a pretty talented Chiefs roster in his first year and look like a savior. Geno probably isn't ready to start in his first year, anyway, so a stopgap guy should be in place either way. That said, Joeckel is reading as a can't-miss left tackle, so Reid might just burn the pick there and sleep well.

Acquiring Alex Smith wouldn't preclude drafting Geno Smith, IMO. Alex is going to be the new Jeff Garcia, and allows Reid to squeeze 8 wins out of a pretty talented Chiefs roster in his first year and look like a savior. Geno probably isn't ready to start in his first year, anyway, so a stopgap guy should be in place either way. That said, Joeckel is reading as a can't-miss left tackle, so Reid might just burn the pick there and sleep well.

I don't see them doing both.

Dont mean to hijack this thread! but I Just heard Shonn Green is being courted by the Broncos and Falcons. I say more power to you son!

sign with either onee, make wrecks demise a little easier..

Dont mean to hijack this thread! but I Just heard Shonn Green is being courted by the Broncos and Falcons. I say more power to you son!

sign with either onee, make wrecks demise a little easier..

Yeah given Mornhinweg's offense there is no way Greene is coming back. He's going to make for a great complimentary back somewhere though, imo. 

Pittsburgh?

Where does Greene fit...he's so one dimensional

Greene''s role is the same as what he did his first few years with the Jets.

He's a game finisher.   A pretty good one.  He's just not a feature back.  I suspect someone is going to make the same mistake the Jet's did and try to use him as one

Pittsburgh?

Where does Greene fit...he's so one dimensional

Greene is a football player with a "dimension". A team looking for that type of talent will pick him up. He isnt a starter, but we for sure know that he's a pretty damn good complimentary backup when utilized correctly. Put in a fresh Greene in the second half of the game and he's more than capable. If Greene can accept this role he will have a very long career. 

The Chiefs make a ton of sense.  People are starting to speculate that they should take Geno Smith at #1.  So that would end that silly talk and let them concentrate on making the best pick possible.

I would expect Cassel to be cut soon then.

I would agree to the thinking of drafting the top OL.  Smith has two years left on his contract. 

Grab a project QB (Wilson, Manuel, Bray) to develop for 2015.

I would expect Cassel to be cut soon then.

I would agree to the thinking of drafting the top OL. Smith has two years left on his contract.

Grab a project QB (Wilson, Manuel, Bray) to develop for 2015.

Projects don't work anymore. Are we going to invest 2 years in someone and 1) it's not working out or 2) he's with us for a year maybe 2 and then gets a big deal.

With the cap the way it is you need your rooks to contribute. If Denver didn't spend their 2nd rounder on a project qb and got a starting capable defensive back, they could have went to the Sb

Alex Smith wishes he could suck as much as Garcia.

Please, Please, not the Jets

Other wise we will be having this same conversation in 4 years

yea think? I dont know if the guy will be an pro bowler but I think he could end up being a slightly  above average player. Combine wasnt awful either

taking him at 1 would be a mistake but if he drops to 9 id think about it

Totally agree...Geno Smith isn't the top pick in this draft. Andy Reid is too savvy to make a pick like that. This move (should it happen), would allow the Chiefs to go best player overall which is probably an offensive lineman. 

This would be the smart move, and the most likely.  Filling two big needs with a trade and a draft pick is effective personnel management.  Also, I do not think Geno is a lock as an NFL QB, let alone the #1 pick.  That's a sucker's bet that Andy won't take.

Pretty talented Chiefs roster? Lollololololololol

I hope no one gave up anything of significance for Smith. Beyond the 49ers halo he sucks. 

for a team that won 2 games...thats a decent roster to step into. Much better than our current situation.

The Jets are contenders next year if they can mine some of those D-II diamonds that only SeñorGato knows about.

Nonsense.

Rex Ryan is no longer going to be held back by Tanny, Rex will show the world and go 11-5 next year.

Take it to the bank, or McDonalds.

Archived