Alex Smith trade effectively done

Matt39

Projects don't work anymore. Are we going to invest 2 years in someone and 1) it's not working out or 2) he's with us for a year maybe 2 and then gets a big deal.

With the cap the way it is you need your rooks to contribute. If Denver didn't spend their 2nd rounder on a project qb and got a starting capable defensive back, they could have went to the Sb

You have to play the cards dealt you.

If there was a QB that was a 'sure fire' prospect in the mold of RGIII/Luck, then the Chiefs would draft him and give him the ball.  The top prospect Geno Smith is a solid prospect, but I do not think anyone is saying he warrants the top pick.  First round pick?  Yes.  Top 10?  Maybe.

Again, my point only is this, given the scenario outlined.  If there is no great prospect at  QB (a position of need for the Chiefs), then draft Locekl and solidify the LT for the future.  Draft a 2nd/3rd round QB prospect.  Develop them for two years behind Alex Smith.  Then evaluate him his last two years of his rookie contract. The cap cost is not that great.

Everything I have read or heard has said Geno Smith is a good prospect.  The consensus is he is not NFL ready like RGIII/Luck so he will need to development.  Now, you can do that on the fly.  Or, if you are not entirely convinced he is the be all/end all at QB, then take the T and develop the QB behind Alex Smith.

The Chiefs have Brandon Albert at LT unless they are dumb enough to let him go (beast). Star's heart condition makes it harder to go his way with the first overall pick. It will be really interesting to see what they do with one. Even Moore is a lot like Hali, though I'm sure that won't stop Reid if he likes him enough.

And where has that gotten them recently.

Not far.....

98-30

8-7 playoffs with 2 Superbowl appearances.

Short of the 5 teams that have won a title since the Patriots last championship, which of the other 26 would not kill for that?

Around a quarter of their roster will be over 30 entering this season.  Yeah it sucks to be the Patriots...said no one.

Not far.....

98-30

8-7 playoffs with 2 Superbowl appearances.

Short of the 5 teams that have won a title since the Patriots last championship, which of the other 26 would not kill for that?

Around a quarter of their roster will be over 30 entering this season.  Yeah it sucks to be the Patriots...said no one.

I thought it was only about championships?

I thought it was only about championships?

It is.

However, lets be realistic.  It is better to watch an 98-30 team that lost two superbowls, than it is too watch a team in perpetual mediocrity.

Plus, I am going out on a limb, if the Patriots ever make it back to the Superbowl in the post-Brady and/or Belichick era.  I am going to be thankful because as I get older those opportunities become fewer and fewer. 

Well, you gotta lower the bar when your team consistently disappoints you in the postseason. 

See, we're lucky. Our bar is set perpetually low. 

Yeah, the Patriots will be back in that neighborhood in 2018.

Archived