"...Revis could solve Chiefs' dilemma " ~ ~ ~

kelly

The Kansas City Chiefs’ choices with the No. 1 pick continue to be murky and it is not getting any clearer as the NFL combine comes to a close.

Thus, I think the team may have to start getting creative about the pick and it could mean taking a run at prized cornerback Darrelle Revis.

The Chiefs’ situation got more complicated with the news that Utah defensive lineman Star Lotulelei
has a heart condition and he is undergoing tests. He couldn’t work out
at the combine because of the matter. Unless Lotulelei gets firm medical
conformation that he is at no risk because of the heart issue, there is
little chance he will be taken at the top of the draft.
Would the Chiefs trade the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft to acquire star Jets CB Darrelle Revis?

Lotulelei is Scouts Inc.’s top-rated prospect and is one of the few top prospects
who makes some positional sense for the Chiefs.West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith
ran well at the combine and received mixed reviews for his performances

in the passing drills. He still may be a long shot at No. 1.

Thus, signs point to Kansas City taking Texas A&M left tackle Luke Joeckel at No.1. But that isn’t clear cut, either. The Chiefs like free-agent left tackle Branden Albert
and remain interested in re-signing him. I wouldn’t get too excited
about the possibility of drafting Joeckel and moving Albert to guard.
Albert wants to stay at left tackle and he knows someone will pay him
the premium to play it.

Simply letting Albert walk and drafting Joeckel would not be taking
advantage of having the top pick and it wouldn’t necessarily make the
Chiefs better.They must get better by using the pick wisely. I have an idea how
that could happen: go get Revis. The Jets are reportedly willing to
trade the All-Pro cornerback.I could see a scenario where the Chiefs could use the No. 1 pick as
bait and get Revis, who played for new Kansas City defensive coordinator
Bob Sutton in New York, and the No. 9 pick in return. There may have to
be some additions on either side, but I’m not sure the Jets could get a
better offer.

The Chiefs could then pair Revis with Brandon Flowers and have one of the best cornerback situations in the NFL.

Yes, Revis is coming off a torn ACL. But all reports are that he is
making great progress and he is in the prime of his career. And, yes,
Revis would likely require a new deal, but I think he Chiefs could find a
way to keep receiver Dwayne Bowe and add Revis. That would likely mean letting Albert walk in free agency.

But with the No. 9 pick, the Chiefs could likely get Central Michigan left tackle Eric Fisher and very likely get Oklahoma’s Lane Johnson. Both are highly skilled left tackles.

In addition, reports are heavy that the Chiefs are going after San Francisco quarterback Alex Smith.So, this is what the team’s offseason scorecard could look like:In: Bowe, Alex Smith, Revis and a top rookie left tackle rookie.

Out: Albert and the No. 1 pick.

Looks OK to me and if somehow Albert could be kept, the Chiefs could use the No. 9 pick on Geno Smith or a top prospect at another position.

I know there are lots of hoops to go through for this scenario to
unfold and I am not naïve enough to think it can occur easily. But it’s
plausible through some brainstorming.

That’s exactly the point of the Chiefs’ situation. They have to get
creative because there are too many questions right now about them
having the No. 1 pick. They might have to get creative to make it a
positive situation.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/55244/revis-could-solve-chiefs-dilemma

This deal makes no sense - trading the #9 pick plus Revis for the #1. Might as well give them Revis for nothing. Now if they want  Revis and a second or third rounder for their first then you listen but personally I would want Revis plus our 2nd rounder for their #1 pick and their 3rd round pick.

This deal makes no sense - trading the #9 pick plus Revis for the #1. Might as well give them Revis for nothing. Now if they want  Revis and a second or third rounder for their first then you listen but personally I would want Revis plus our 2nd rounder for their #1 pick and their 3rd round pick.

Even if that were to happen who would you pick at 1 who is significantly better then who will be there at 9?

Like Bit said “it’s a nightmare up there” 

Why the hell would we give away revis? The top of this years draft is questionable at best and revis is worth a hell of a lot more then 8 spots.

Yeah, the article never addressed why the Jets would do it...only why it would be good for the chiefs.  Like, no sh*t it would be good for the chiefs.  It makes zero sense for the Jets, though.

If you could be guaranteed getting the best CB on the planet by far with the #1 pick, would you go for it?  Would you give up more picks to move up to #1?  No one in this draft makes sense in an even up trade for Revis.  Need to get much more.  Swapping picks is just cray.

Wait... we aren't even getting a #1 for him?  We are trading up 8 spots in a draft where there isn't one player we are particularly excited about?  Sounds like a great deal.  The top choices have a bad heart and a questionable arm.  Why wouldn't we want to move up?

Yeah, you beat me to the punch on this.  When I was reading the beginning of the article I think it seemed like a very realistic possibility, until the writer threw in that the deal would supposedly have the Jets send the #9 pick back in exchange, which is completely absurd.  While I may be one of those who is most open to the idea of the Jets trading Revis, even I know that would be absolutely ridiculous to do, unless there is someone they are absolutely in love with that they are convinced is a huge answer for the team - even still the deal would also need to include, at worst, a conditional pick next that could go as high as a first.  An 8-spot move, even if it is to #1, is completely laughable of an offer for Revis.

Yeah, you beat me to the punch on this.  When I was reading the beginning of the article I think it seemed like a very realistic possibility, until the writer threw in that the deal would supposedly have the Jets send the #9 pick back in exchange, which is completely absurd.  While I may be one of those who is most open to the idea of the Jets trading Revis, even I know that would be absolutely ridiculous to do, unless there is someone they are absolutely in love with that they are convinced is a huge answer for the team - even still the deal would also need to include, at worst, a conditional pick next that could go as high as a first.  An 8-spot move, even if it is to #1, is completely laughable of an offer for Revis.

If this were last year's draft you do that deal without question.  Few among us wouldn't essentially trade Revis for Luck or RGIII straight up.  But of course, there's no one like that in this draft.

I wouldn't trade Revis straight up for the Chief's #1 pick; there's no way in hell I'd send our #9 overall back in the swap.  And I can't stand Revis and would love to see us get rid of him.  Now, on the other hand, if the Chiefs wanted to send us every pick in their 2013 draft, except for the #1?  Fine by me.

As an aside, what to the Chef's have left in the way of picks to sweeten the pot for a Revis type talent?  If they are, in fact, trading for Smith, they cannot get him with magic beans.

Today alone I have read that it is a done deal that they are trading for Smith, that they are in the market for Foles and now that they can swing Revis. Trader Andy, baby!

I wouldn't trade Revis straight up for the Chief's #1 pick; there's no way in hell I'd send our #9 overall back in the swap.  And I can't stand Revis and would love to see us get rid of him.  Now, on the other hand, if the Chiefs wanted to send us every pick in their 2013 draft, except for the #1?  Fine by me.

I'd trade Revis in a heartbeat for the #1 ... keep the #9, parlay the #1 into say, two other first rounders.

With 3 of the top 25 picks, take care of 3 areas of need.

I'm more than good with that approach.

I'd trade Revis in a heartbeat for the #1 ... keep the #9, parlay the #1 into say, two other first rounders.

With 3 of the top 25 picks, take care of 3 areas of need.

I'm more than good with that approach.

That's the problem ... you can't trade the #1 pick.  Nobody wants it.  Nobody wants to pay #1-player-in-the-draft money for someone who's worth #10-player-in-the-draft value.  There's no HOF quarterback in this draft and the #1 overall pick in a draft with no HOF quarterbacks almost has negative value.

The Jets #9 pick, and Revis for the #1?

Not in this draft.  I don't know that there is much difference between the 1 and the 9.  Moore had a bad combine, and Star looks like he is out.

Pass

Lol, plus the Chiefs somehow end up with Alex Smith in this. Worst speculative crap I've read in about 10 off seasons.

That's the problem ... you can't trade the #1 pick.  Nobody wants it.  Nobody wants to pay #1-player-in-the-draft money for someone who's worth #10-player-in-the-draft value.  There's no HOF quarterback in this draft and the #1 overall pick in a draft with no HOF quarterbacks almost has negative value.

Yet in this article The Chiefs give up the #1 and end up,with Revis, Alex smith, and the #9 pick. What a load of poo.

Archived