•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Jets Meet With Matt Barkley

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 flgreen

flgreen

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Jets meet with QB Barkley

February, 25, 2013
Feb 25

3:40

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Each team is allowed to conduct up to 60 formal player interviews at the combine (15 minutes apiece), and the Jets used one of theirs on USC Matt Barkley, certainly one of the most interesting players in the draft.

The Jets were among nine teams to interview Barkley, according to SI.com.

Barkley is projected as a possible first-round pick, but his stock could fluctuate in the coming weeks, depending on how he performs at his pro day. He didn't throw at the combine because he's still rehabbing a shoulder injury.

He was a four-year starter at USC, succeeding Mark Sanchez in 2009, but his performance slipped as a senior. He's trying to rehabilitate his pro stock, trying to convince everyone he's a serious football junkie, not just some dude from SoCal. He's also fighting the stigma that former USC quarterbacks struggle in the NFL. Matt Leinart was a bust and Sanchez, after two promising years, has slipped.

"There have been great USC quarterbacks (who have done) some things in the NFL," Barkley told reporters last week. "I know my case, my situation and my story is different than all those other guys. I don't think you can put everyone in the same mold. I know what I'm capable of, and I wouldn't be so quick to put a mold around me."

Barkley would be a nice fit in the Jets' new West Coast offense, but he has suspect arm strength, according to scouts. They wouldn't take him with the No. 9 pick, but it could get interesting if he's still around at No. 39.

Could you imagine the bedlam here :rl:

#2 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,194 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

if the Jets draft another USC QB i'll crap in a bag and throw it on the walls. it will be a Carnival cruise ship around here. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#3 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,583 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

The whole "zomg not USCz" thing strikes me as irrational. I would prefer actual football reasons for not liking Barkley like his deep ball or the shoulder injury.

Theres actually a lot to like about him. Lots of starts, lots of completed passes, lots of yards, lots of TDs, lots of wins...Outside of the first he's a solid QB prospect hurt by real things and then dumb things. There's zero reason to lump him in with a lazy non-talet like Leinart or an inexperienced pup like Sanchez just because they went to the same school. Prospects should be graded on individual merits rather than some reactionary nonsense about the school they went to.

Edited by SenorGato, 25 February 2013 - 04:52 PM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#4 JetsFanInDenver

JetsFanInDenver

Franchise Player

• Members
  • 8,623 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Uh..OH!

#5 Matt39

Matt39

master knows all except combination to safe

• Members
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationDel Boca Vista Phase III

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

The whole "zomg not USCz" thing strikes me as irrational. I would prefer actual football reasons for not liking Barkley like his deep ball or the shoulder injury.

Theres actually a lot to like about him. Lots of starts, lots of completed passes, lots of yards, lots of TDs, lots of wins...Outside of the first he's a solid QB prospect hurt by real things and then dumb things. There's zero reason to lump him in with a lazy non-talet like Leinart or an inexperienced pup like Sanchez just because they went to the same school. Prospects should be graded on individual merits rather than some reactionary nonsense about the school they went to.

His arm stinks

#6 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,896 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

POPULAR

Draft him in the second.  If just to see Bit crap in a bag. 

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#7 BurnleyJet

BurnleyJet

Fan for 30 years (You get less for Murder these days!)

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Mmmmm the board will instantaneously combust if the Jets even think of if Drafting this Douch.

#8 FloridaJetsFan

FloridaJetsFan

Hail Caesar

• Members
  • 2,527 posts
  • LocationNavarre, FL

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

if the Jets draft another USC QB i'll crap in a bag and throw it on the walls. it will be a Carnival cruise ship around here. 

Dude! You made milk shoot outta my nose!!!!! funny ...

#9 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

One QB roster.

Two noodle arms.

Two USC turds.

One letdown fan base.

#10 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,194 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

here's a rational football reason. Football played in the northeast often features inclement weather and high winds. At USC the worst these guys see is 50 degrees. If we were the San Diego Chargers i'd say sure.

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#11 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,583 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

His arm stinks

Meh, he's got enough for the short and intermediate game.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

#12 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,583 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Mmmmm the board will instantaneously combust if the Jets even think of if Drafting this Douch.

This board will combust in 9.8 out of 10 scenarios. That should not be a factor.

#13 Blackout

Blackout

Circle Of Bosses

• Members
  • 33,203 posts
  • Locationhome

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

PLEASE NO

The best radio host and Jets fan of all time: http://www.registerstar.com/multimedia/bruce_jacobs/ Go Jets and Celtics

#14 jetsjetsjetss

jetsjetsjetss

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

second round id definitely look into this guy.

Heck he may be playing with a chip on his shoulder from falling so far --- could turn out "elite"

Edited by jetsjetsjetss, 25 February 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#15 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

Meh, he's got enough for the short and intermediate game.

So does McElroy....

#16 jbone

jbone

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

He did get worse over his last 3 seasons. Rather we look at QBs who progressed in their careers.

#17 The Crusher

The Crusher

More Please!!!

• Moderators
  • 29,706 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

I hope they just asked him directions to the toilet.

#18 Blackout

Blackout

Circle Of Bosses

• Members
  • 33,203 posts
  • Locationhome

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

I hope they just asked him directions to the toilet.

lol wtf?

The best radio host and Jets fan of all time: http://www.registerstar.com/multimedia/bruce_jacobs/ Go Jets and Celtics

#19 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,583 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

So does McElroy....

Who lacks NFL starter size. Barkley answered questions about his size by coming in at 6'2"+ and 217 or so.

#20 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,583 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

He did get worse over his last 3 seasons. Rather we look at QBs who progressed in their careers.

USC got worse over his three seasons. Except for Lee he probably played with the least loaded USC offense in over a decade.

#21 #27TheDominator

#27TheDominator

Forza Rhinos!

• Members
  • 27,896 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

lol wtf?

You'd prefer they just pissed in the sink?

by Angel crazy with over 3000 post some day 

#22 New York Mick

New York Mick

Still Censored

• Members
  • 9,044 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

You'd prefer they just pissed in the sink?

sh*tting in a bag and pissing in the sink. Sounds like a rugby party.

As far as Barkley goes I'd say no.

#23 pointman

pointman

sandwiches are good.

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Who lacks NFL starter size. Barkley answered questions about his size by coming in at 6'2"+ and 217 or so.

lolwhat? McElroy is 6'2" 225.

#24 dbatesman

dbatesman

Failgoat 2.0

• Members
  • 8,886 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

The arm and the USC thing are legit concerns, but he started a metric sh*t-ton of games and put up pretty good numbers. I don't think he's any worse than Andy Dalton.

This is like having a cat with leukemia.

#25 unbanmadmike1

unbanmadmike1

rebanmadmike1

• Members
  • 3,075 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Another undersized USC QB with nothing exceptional about his game at all. If the Jets draft this guy it would be an utter joke.,

Tank for Teddy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users