Jets Meet With Matt Barkley

flgreen

Jets meet with QB Barkley

February, 25, 2013
Feb 25

3:40

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Each team is allowed to conduct up to 60 formal player interviews at the combine (15 minutes apiece), and the Jets used one of theirs on USC Matt Barkley, certainly one of the most interesting players in the draft.

The Jets were among nine teams to interview Barkley, according to SI.com.

Barkley is projected as a possible first-round pick, but his stock could fluctuate in the coming weeks, depending on how he performs at his pro day. He didn't throw at the combine because he's still rehabbing a shoulder injury.

He was a four-year starter at USC, succeeding Mark Sanchez in 2009, but his performance slipped as a senior. He's trying to rehabilitate his pro stock, trying to convince everyone he's a serious football junkie, not just some dude from SoCal. He's also fighting the stigma that former USC quarterbacks struggle in the NFL. Matt Leinart was a bust and Sanchez, after two promising years, has slipped.

"There have been great USC quarterbacks (who have done) some things in the NFL," Barkley told reporters last week. "I know my case, my situation and my story is different than all those other guys. I don't think you can put everyone in the same mold. I know what I'm capable of, and I wouldn't be so quick to put a mold around me."

Barkley would be a nice fit in the Jets' new West Coast offense, but he has suspect arm strength, according to scouts. They wouldn't take him with the No. 9 pick, but it could get interesting if he's still around at No. 39.

Could you imagine the bedlam here :rl:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The whole "zomg not USCz" thing strikes me as irrational. I would prefer actual football reasons for not liking Barkley like his deep ball or the shoulder injury.

Theres actually a lot to like about him. Lots of starts, lots of completed passes, lots of yards, lots of TDs, lots of wins...Outside of the first he's a solid QB prospect hurt by real things and then dumb things. There's zero reason to lump him in with a lazy non-talet like Leinart or an inexperienced pup like Sanchez just because they went to the same school. Prospects should be graded on individual merits rather than some reactionary nonsense about the school they went to.

The whole "zomg not USCz" thing strikes me as irrational. I would prefer actual football reasons for not liking Barkley like his deep ball or the shoulder injury.

Theres actually a lot to like about him. Lots of starts, lots of completed passes, lots of yards, lots of TDs, lots of wins...Outside of the first he's a solid QB prospect hurt by real things and then dumb things. There's zero reason to lump him in with a lazy non-talet like Leinart or an inexperienced pup like Sanchez just because they went to the same school. Prospects should be graded on individual merits rather than some reactionary nonsense about the school they went to.

His arm stinks

here's a rational football reason. Football played in the northeast often features inclement weather and high winds. At USC the worst these guys see is 50 degrees. If we were the San Diego Chargers i'd say sure.

He did get worse over his last 3 seasons. Rather we look at QBs who progressed in their careers.

USC got worse over his three seasons. Except for Lee he probably played with the least loaded USC offense in over a decade.

He lead the march downward. He hasn't really shown much improvement since his soph season.

Staying in college longer exposed him. He's lucky this years QB class stinks. 

Except his mediocre physical tools and tendency to fold against good team...

USC got worse over his three seasons. Except for Lee he probably played with the least loaded USC offense in over a decade.

Are you kidding?   Marquise Lee and Robert Woods are as good as it gets.  Added Silas Redd to a backfield that already had Curtis Mc Neal and had a really good O-line.  Barkley's decline wasn't because of lack of talent surrounding him.

Are you kidding? Marquise Lee and Robert Woods are as good as it gets. Added Silas Redd to a backfield that already had Curtis Mc Neal and had a really good O-line. Barkley's decline wasn't because of lack of talent surrounding him.

The only marquee talent just named was Lee.

The arm and the USC thing are legit concerns, but he started a metric sh*t-ton of games and put up pretty good numbers. I don't think he's any worse than Andy Dalton.

Interesting comparison.  

Dalton's got a cannon.  Barkley doesnt but he played 4 year in a pro style offense and seemed to make all throws it takes in the NFL.  I think he has a good enough arm.

I like to look into the Stats Splits (if available) when analyzing QB prospects.  I think it says a lot about their ability to manage the game and handle situations.  Barkley's splits arent unlike many QB's but the positives that stand out at me are his stats on 3rd down and in the Red Zone.  He improved in both areas from Junior to Senior year and are really eye popping.  USC throws a lot on 1st and 2nd down so his attempts are down on 3rd but he completed 61%, 11 TD and 4 INTs.  Sick on 3rd and goal.

check it out.  some impressive stuff much better than Dalton

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/480322/year/2012/matt-barkley

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/14012/type/college/andy-dalton

The only marquee talent just named was Lee.

You are clueless.  I am used to your dumb comments, but you've really stepped it up with this one.  The reason USC was the AP pre-season #1 was based on the ridiculous amount of talent on the team, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. This was arguable the most talented Trojan team in years. If you have no idea what you are talking about, better not to show your ignorance.

Archived