• 34.5 INCH Top Performer

• 121.0 INCH Top Performer

Blue Star  =  Top Performer

• 6'8" Height
  • 33 3/4" Arm Length
  • 277LBS. Weight
  • 10" Hands

Overview

Estonia has not been a fertile scouting ground for the NFL in the past, but teams might consider going abroad more consistently if they can find talents like Hunt. His name first appeared on the international athletic scene after he won gold medals in both the shot put and discus events at the 2006 World Junior Track and Field Championships in Beijing. Hunt, who also won the 2005 European Junior discus title, was the first junior ever to pull off that double.

Hunt arrived at SMU in 2007, working with track and field coach Dave Wollman with the hopes they would revive the previously cut men’s program. That didn’t come through, so he decided to turn his attention to the football field. He made his name on special teams in his first year with the Mustangs, blocking seven kicks (one short of the NCAA record). Hunt had eight tackles in 13 games, including a sack against Nevada in the team’s Hawaii Bowl victory. He started all 13 games as a sophomore, registering 6.5 tackles for loss, three sacks, and three blocked kicks. And though he started just two of the 13 games in which he played in 2011, his three-sack effort in the BBVA Compass Bowl win over Pittsburgh made scouts take notice. He also blocked four more kicks, giving him 14 in his career -– including an NCAA career record nine field goals.

Following his breakout bowl performance, Hunt earned the number one spot in Bruce Feldman’s Annual “Freak List,” noting Hunt’s incredible combination of size, length, and speed. He took over a starting role at defensive end for SMU his senior year. His knack for blocking kicks continued, ending his career with 17 total, two short of the NCAA record. He accumulated 31 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 8 sacks, and 1 interception on his way to earning first team All-Conference USA honors. He has displayed impressive progression through his career and figures to be heavily coveted by 3-4 teams to play defensive end.

Analysis

Strengths Tall, thick but athletic lineman with loads of potential. Much quicker than you’d expect off the snap given his size, and his long first step helps him pressure the outside shoulder of tackles when outside and win the gap at three-technique. Shows the ability to anchor from both the 3-tech and 5-tech spots. Has the speed to run the arm and beat tackles off the edge. Fast and strong hands stun his man, extends his arms to keep leverage. Uses his length very well to keep blockers off his body. Plays contain well on the edge, pops off his block and swallows backs with his strong upper body. Long strides eat a lot of grass when closing to the quarterback. Good closing speed. Will chase plays downfield. Height and length allow him to affect quarterbacks’ vision when unable to reach him; they also make him an ideal interior player on the field goal block team. Flashes the ability to come off the ball hard and low in short-yardage situations despite his height. Good natural strength – can anchor and shed even when he loses the leverage battle. Varies the tempo of his pass rush well once the offensive line overplays his speed rush.

Weaknesses Must be cognizant to play with bend due to his height, pops up off the snap and will stand upright during the play if tired, losing leverage. Agile for his size, but is still a linear athlete with questionable change of direction and flexibility. More mobile quarterbacks and quick running backs will elude him in the backfield. Turning the corner on his initial pass rush is a chore due to his bulk. Still learning the game, must find the ball consistently. Older than most prospects (will be 25). Doesn't bring his body when he tackles and subsequently misses a lot. Ineffective bull rush due to not playing with leverage and lacks counters when his initial move fails.

NFL Comparison Calais Campbell

Bottom Line Hunt initially moved to the United States from his native Estonia to further his amateur track career (he won gold medals in the shot put and discus at the 2006 World Junior Championships). Now the 25 year-old uses his elite size/athleticism combination to make an impact on defense (three sacks in the BVAA Compass Bowl against Pittsburgh to finish off 2011, a sack and two forced fumbles against Fresno in the Hawaii Bowl) and special teams (17 blocked kicks in four years). Fulfilling his potential as a starting NFL five-technique defensive end as a senior could land him in the top half of the first round in April.

people say he has no production it aint true. He's got like 15 career sacks and i believe the NCAA record for blocked kicks with 17. He's a nasty player. But yeah not gonna be another rd 1 3-4 DE for the Jets. 

Better prospect for that DE/DT or even DE/OLB role - Hunt or Coples?

Better prospect for that DE/DT or even DE/OLB role - Hunt or Coples?

Rex says Coples will play OLB, i'll believe it when I see it. Coples matched up against guards and centers is better than him matched up against OT. 

As for prospects, Coples was better in drills at senior bowl 

Rex says Coples will play OLB, i'll believe it when I see it. Coples matched up against guards and centers is better than him matched up against OT. 

As for prospects, Coples was better in drills at senior bowl 

Did he really say OLB?  I think I'm the one that made the jump.  Rex talked about Coples on the edge and lining up over TEs, but discussed it in terms of "beating the double team" and setting the edge, not covering TEs or standing up.  I'm not sure what he meant.  FWIW, I don't think he has to stand up for a steady diet, but the ability to stand up and play OLB/drop back gives them some scheme flexibility which they can use to screw with offenses.

Hunt reminds me of Brian Robison.  Both are big dudes that measured well, but don't really pass the eye test.  I think Robison ended up playing for the Vikings, and was good, not great.  

Think Kenyon Coleman. Not a detriment to the team, but never got a game ball.  

I don't think you could have chosen a guy more different to Kenyon Coleman.  Robison has had almost 20 sacks in the past 2 years.  I don't watch many Vikings games, but I'd bet he got a game ball for the Cardinals game I saw last year.

I'll admit it when I'm wrong.  I got this one way off. Hunt is huge-Beast. 

After looking it up Hunt is actually closer in size to Jared Allen (6'6, 270).  He paced D-lineman with his reps (so he's strong as an ox), and he measured well in every other Combine category. You listed those numbers above.  (You left out the broad jump.  At 122, he was right there with Jordan and only behind 2-3 other guys) 

Hunt performed better on the 3-cone than Ansah and Werner (and others obv).  Not bad standing considering he has 50lbs on Mingo and Jordan. 

Mingo: 6.84

Jordan: 7.02

Hunt: 7.07

Ansah: 7.11

Werner: 7.30

Yet for some reason I wouldn't play him in space like at OLB, but I would play Ansah there.  It's almost like he's sized out of that position even though his numbers tower over the smaller supposedly quicker guys. 

I'll admit it when I'm wrong.  I got this one way off. Hunt is huge-Beast. 

After looking it up Hunt is actually closer in size to Jared Allen (6'6, 270).  He paced D-lineman with his reps (so he's strong as an ox), and he measured well in every other Combine category. You listed those numbers above.  (You left out the broad jump.  At 122, he was right there with Jordan and only behind 2-3 other guys) 

Hunt performed better on the 3-cone than Ansah and Werner (and others obv).  Not bad standing considering he has 50lbs on Mingo and Jordan. 

Mingo: 6.84

Jordan: 7.02

Hunt: 7.07

Ansah: 7.11

Werner: 7.30

Yet for some reason I wouldn't play him in space like at OLB, but I would play Ansah there.  It's almost like he's sized out of that position even though his numbers tower over the smaller supposedly quicker guys. 

I never posted any numbers on this guy.  He's a giant freak.  

I'll have to find the link...

Word is teams want to convert Hunt to TE, because he has "poor (defensive) technique" and his change of directions skills are suspect.  

His numbers don't say that, but apparently his game film shows different.  I think he'd be a great Coples-like presence rushing the passer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived