Sources: Niners in pursuit of Darrelle Revis

JetsFanInDenver

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think there is such a thing as long term security with Revis.   You could make him the highest paid player in the NFL and a season or two later, some other player gets a bigger contract and he'll threaten to hold out.   And I could see the 49ers doing some cheap rental.   the 31st, 34th, a 4th rounder and something late next season,   why wouldn't they?    Remember Sanders, who also returned kicks,  was essentially a rental for the 49ers years ago when they won a super bowl.  

Smart teams dont dump the farm or kill their cap.  Brady just got a boatload of money, but it was cap friendly so the Patriots can improve.

I don't know the logistics of the Flacco deal, but if it's one of those 20 Million per year kills the cap kind of deals,  it'll be the end of the Ravens.  And he's a Super Bowl MVP QB.    

Teams who think they have a shot to win a super bowl next year,  will look at Revis and think one year rental. They will try to lowball the Jets and in all honesty, the Jets have no cards in this fight.   Ask for too much and nobody trades for Revis.   Revis isn't going to sign some long term deal with any of these teams.  He will wait until he proves to be back to 100 percent, has a great season, and asks for even more money next season.   Knowing that, any team who trades for him thinks 1 year.    Nothing more.    Only a dumb GM would give up the farm for a a 1 year rental coming off an ACL injury.

The other issue is with the theory the Jets are tanking,  Rex will be fired and the rebuild starts.   

We know Rex worshipped Revis.    So if the coach who loves you is fired and the plan would probably be to promote a Marty M or bring in some offensive minded coach,  would you really stick around?  Probably not.   And already feeling slighted by the owner and new GM, yeah, that doesn't help.  

Thats why the jets either trade Revis now or watch him laugh as he leaves after the season.

15M is a terrible waste of money for someone who is made irrelevant by a team with any one of the three:

1) A good #2 WR

2) A good receiving TE

3) A great running game

So I guess that applies to Calvin Johnson too, then? Since a guy like Revis can take him out of his game, he's not worth much?

So I guess that applies to Calvin Johnson too, then? Since a guy like Revis can take him out of his game, he's not worth much?

What's Calvin Johnson won?   What did TO or Randy Moss ever win?

None of those guys are worth 16 Million a year.

What's Larry Fitzgerald worth on a team without a QB?

I say devise a new system where a Owner can pay a huge/staggering  amount but then he has 100% rights to that player for length of contract (not just in season). Personal valet, wash cars, etc .

Here is the catch, we would only count 50x% vs Cap cause 6 months of salary is for personal Home use by Owner. 

So we can pay the stars large amounts, but only count 50% vs Cap.

This would also allow hilarious Reality Shows that could show the players walking Owners Dog, taking garbage out, mowing lawns etc etc.

;)

Yeah, there are 22 starters on a team. You build a complete team. Revis takes away #1 receiver options - completely. Goodbye. You're done. He doesn't just hold his own with them, he takes them away completely. For that reason, he's the kind of guy you build a team around. He takes away their #1 receiver of any kind. They have a great #2, but no #3? Cool, now we can double team the #2 and their passing game is shut down. They only have a #1 but no great receivers behind that? Cool, then we go man to man on the rest, which lets us bring a safety into the box to stop the run. Etc. His value is not just what he does, it's what he enables you to do with everyone else around him.

BTW I bet you his agents understand reality, and reality off of this injury is that he's probably not going to get paid like a superstar QB.

For a team like the 49ers or Broncos, Revis could help them.   

Remember the playoffs and super bowl.   Winning teams scored 30 points or more in almost every game.  

Revis could shut down the top WR and instead of a TD, a team is forced to settle for a FG.   

The Jets,  with Revis are still a bad team.  Sign Revis to some monster $16+ million contract for 5 years or something doesn't help them win.

They still have Sanchez. Or Garrard.  Or some unknown QB a few seasons from now.    Paying Revis that much money on this team and in this situation,  well,  Revis becomes Champ Bailey on the Broncos.   By the time the Jets become good, Revis is old.

15M is a terrible waste of money for someone who is made irrelevant by a team with any one of the three:

1) A good #2 WR

2) A good receiving TE

3) A great running game

tEYbow makes a good point. Having Revis doesn't mean sh*t if we have the 26th ranked run defense. 

Yeah, there are 22 starters on a team. You build a complete team. Revis takes away #1 receiver options - completely. Goodbye. You're done. He doesn't just hold his own with them, he takes them away completely. For that reason, he's the kind of guy you build a team around. He takes away their #1 receiver of any kind. They have a great #2, but no #3? Cool, now we can double team the #2 and their passing game is shut down. They only have a #1 but no great receivers behind that? Cool, then we go man to man on the rest, which lets us bring a safety into the box to stop the run. Etc. His value is not just what he does, it's what he enables you to do with everyone else around him.

BTW I bet you his agents understand reality, and reality off of this injury is that he's probably not going to get paid like a superstar QB.

Nobody builds a team around a CB.  As great as Revis is,  the Jets were 8-8 with him.  They were 9-7.  They were 4-12.  They were 11-5.  

Paying Revis $16 Million per year kind of means you limit your possibilities of building a good team.    

I say devise a new system where a Owner can pay a huge/staggering  amount but then he has 100% rights to that player for length of contract (not just in season). Personal valet, wash cars, etc .

Here is the catch, we would only count 50x% vs Cap cause 6 months of salary is for personal Home use by Owner. 

So we can pay the stars large amounts, but only count 50% vs Cap.

This would also allow hilarious Reality Shows that could show the players walking Owners Dog, taking garbage out, mowing lawns etc etc.

;)

hair of the dog?

So you build your franchise around Revis.   Thats the theory if you pay him as much as a Peyton Manning.

The difference is Manning went to the Broncos and they went from an 8-8 team to a 13-3 team.  True his playoff issues are well documented, but a lucky throw and catch by the Ravens and terrible defense by the Broncos and who knows if Manning has another SB ring.  

Revis returns to the Jets next year, a team that went 6-10, and what's the expectation?   With Revis nobody thinks they will make the playoffs.

That's why you dont build your team around a CB. 

All these conversations about "Revis to 49ers, Revis to Broncos, etc"  aren't Revis going to a team who builds themselves around him.   He's going to teams who almost won the super bowl this year or were one of the favorites to win.   

Thats why you dont pay Revis 16 Million per year or 18 or 20.  

The more I look at it, the more I now what Revis Traded. We can fill a lot of holes with the extra picks. We did not miss him like I thought we would, and the Jets will be in Cap Heaven in 2014. 

If the Trade goes down, I can see the Jets grab one of those Wide Outs, and even cut Holmes. "I can see clealy now Holmes and Sanchez is gone.." Ah nice thoughts..

The more I look at it, the more I now what Revis Traded. We can fill a lot of holes with the extra picks. We did not miss him like I thought we would, and the Jets will be in Cap Heaven in 2014. 

If the Trade goes down, I can see the Jets grab one of those Wide Outs, and even cut Holmes. "I can see clealy now Holmes and Sanchez is gone.." Ah nice thoughts..

If all we're going to get is a 3rd round pick then eff that!!!!!!!!!

@Kelly posted a nice article in his/her "as of now" thread.  It basically details why we aren't likely to trade Revis.  I disagree with the premise that it would cost too much to cut ties with him, but can see how trading him before this year's draft might be difficult.  It is probably in our best interest to retain Revis into the season, then trade him before the week-6 trade deadline.

1. Teams would see exactly what they're getting, meaning the injury outlier would be eliminated  = an increase in trade compensation.

2. More teams might enter the fray due to possible injuries on their squad, especially if they're contenders, or think they are.

3. This ensures a coup of picks in the 2014 draft, when we really want to add big-pieces to the roster.   

Literally the post before you:

Except he said NOTHING about the Jets not trying to add good players in 2013. He's just acknowledging the reality of how bad this roster is right now that can't be fixed in one offseason and that the 2014 draft is MUCH better for QB's which the Jets won't be competitive unless they have. 

His powers are greatly exaggerated. 

I don't doubt that we'll free us some space so we can participate in free agency.  But we're not adding "big-pieces" this year.  Idzik said, we will be "judicious in free agency this year". Whatever that means.  I take it to mean we'll add low risk, low contract pieces to fill out the roster...and that we're not going to enter a bidding war for the likes of Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings etc. 

I could be wrong.  Maybe we'll go out and get a "big name" player.  But reports are that we can barely afford to retain Landry at $6M/per, and we have plenty of other positions to address.

Next year we'll have more wiggle room to be bigger players in free agency.

Except he said NOTHING about the Jets not trying to add good players in 2013. He's just acknowledging the reality of how bad this roster is right now that can't be fixed in one offseason and that the 2014 draft is MUCH better for QB's which the Jets won't be competitive unless they have. 

None of that is what is said there, and we've already done the 2014 QB thing. It's a myth, as is the idea that the Jets have some specific year set aside for when magic happens. 

None of that is what is said there, and we've already done the 2014 QB thing. It's a myth, as is the idea that the Jets have some specific year set aside for when magic happens. 

Pretty much everyone who knows anything says this QB class is terrible than the 2014 will be better with guys like Birdgewater or Manuel but you apparently know better than all of them... There is a reason why Andy Reid, who knows his QB's as well as anyone thinks the mediocrity that is Alex Smith can help him more than any QB in this draft. 

Literally the post before you:

IF we decide to draft a QB in the 2014 draft....you know, because it figures to have multiple first-round talents.  As opposed to this year, where Geno Smith is a first-rounder by default.  It will help to have multiple draft picks to help us navigate ourselves into a position to be selective in our QB decision.  

Trading Revis is all fine and dandy, but I would prefer 2014 picks if our end-game is to get a game changer at QB.  

IF we decide to draft a QB in the 2014 draft....you know, because it figures to have multiple first-round talents.  As opposed to this year, where Geno Smith is a first-rounder by default.  It will help to have multiple draft picks to help us navigate ourselves into a position to be selective in our QB decision.  

Trading Revis is all fine and dandy, but I would prefer 2014 picks if our end-game is to get a game changer at QB.  

Agreed 100%. Anyone who has seen Bridgewater play for 5 mins knows this to be true. 

I don't doubt that we'll free us some space so we can participate in free agency.  But we're not adding "big-pieces" this year.  Idzik said, we will be "judicious in free agency this year". Whatever that means.  I take it to mean we'll add low risk, low contract pieces to fill out the roster...and that we're not going to enter a bidding war for the likes of Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings etc. 

I could be wrong.  Maybe we'll go out and get a "big name" player.  But reports are that we can barely afford to retain Landry at $6M/per, and we have plenty of other positions to address.

Next year we'll have more wiggle room to be bigger players in free agency.

I think judicious means they'll spend on a player they feel helps the long and short term. Top candidate for that would be LeVitre or Andre Smith, but any top tier guy without an outrageous price is wide open. Like any other NFL team low risk contract pieces to fill out the roster are a given - what he hopefully means is that they'll work very hard to nail the right kind of second contract JAG and get a useful starter for for 2-3 years like the Seahawks did with Branch/Bryant/Williams/etc. 

Pretty much everyone who knows anything says this QB class is terrible than the 2014 will be better with guys like Birdgewater or Manuel but you apparently know better than all of them... There is a reason why Andy Reid, who knows his QB's as well as anyone thinks the mediocrity that is Alex Smith can help him more than any QB in this draft. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about that big Andy Reid quote on how he traded for Alex Smith because he was waiting for Manuel in 2014. ****in...why do I engage you in sport talk again? It's not even quality parroting. 

Everyone who knows anything knows that next's years NFL draft is almost always better than this year's NFL draft because those toys are still in the box. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about that big Andy Reid quote on how he traded for Alex Smith because he was waiting for Manuel in 2014. ****in...why do I engage you in sport talk again? It's not even quality parroting. 

Everyone who knows anything knows that next's years NFL draft is almost always better than this year's NFL draft because those toys are still in the box. 

Again you just have no idea what you're talking about. The reason the Redskins traded 3 1's for RG3 is because they knew how bad this year's QB class was and how good last year's was. Every draft person was talking about how bad this QB class was from before the 2012 draft. You're just denying reality. 

Archived