Sources: Niners in pursuit of Darrelle Revis

JetsFanInDenver

I think judicious means they'll spend on a player they feel helps the long and short term. Top candidate for that would be LeVitre or Andre Smith, but any top tier guy without an outrageous price is wide open. Like any other NFL team low risk contract pieces to fill out the roster are a given - what he hopefully means is that they'll work very hard to nail the right kind of second contract JAG and get a useful starter for for 2-3 years like the Seahawks did with Branch/Bryant/Williams/etc. 

Andre Smith reportedly wants $9M/per.  That is more than Ferguson makes, and more than Mangold makes.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a mauler on roster that could fill in for D'Brick should he get injured, but we can't pay a right tackle, left tackle money. Especially not when we to fill so many spots.  We just can't.  

You and I have debated LeVitre already.  I can see your stance hasn't changed; mine hasn't either...so I don't see how re-addressing it in this thread will be any different.  His age and skill figure to have him be the highest paid offensive lineman in free agency.  Sure we could squeeze him on the roster with some fancy maneuvering, but I don't see that happening.  That would require us to neglect other positions on the team.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andre Smith reportedly wants $9M/per.  That is more than Ferguson makes, and more than Mangold makes.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a mauler on roster that could fill in for D'Brick should he get injured, but we can't pay a right tackle, left tackle money. Especially not when we to fill so many spots.  We just can't.  

You and I have debated LeVitre already.  I can see your stance hasn't changed; mine hasn't either...so I don't see how re-addressing it in this thread will be any different.  His age and skill figure to have him be the highest paid offensive lineman in free agency.  Sure we could squeeze him on the roster with some fancy maneuvering, but I don't see that happening.  That would require us to neglect other positions on the team.

RTs are going to be making LT money in due time anyway, and g'luck to Smith in his search for the team willing to pay him 9 million a year anyway.

What player can the Jets acquire that will not require them neglecting other positions? There isn't a player who is going to blanket cover all the positions/holes. The goal should be to get the best talents possible at the positions they can land high quality talents at this offseason, fill the roster with filler where there aren't impact talents. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about that big Andy Reid quote on how he traded for Alex Smith because he was waiting for Manuel in 2014. ****in...why do I engage you in sport talk again? It's not even quality parroting. 

Everyone who knows anything knows that next's years NFL draft is almost always better than this year's NFL draft because those toys are still in the box. 

He obviously meant Johnny Manziel.  Though he strikes me as the type to stay in school for four years.  Call it a hunch. 

As for your toy box analogy:

With the number of underclassmen coming out this year, I actually expect next year's draft to be pretty sh*tty.  It will be top-heavy with some very high quality players (Marquise Lee, Sammy Watkins, DeJeavan Clowney, OT's Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews, and the QBs), but I expect the fall off to be quick and significant.  Next year's top-ten is the place to be.  

He obviously meant Johnny Manziel.  Though he strikes me as the type to stay in school for four years.  Call it a hunch. 

With the number of underclassmen coming out this year, I actually expect next year's draft to be pretty sh*tty.  It will be top-heavy with some very high quality players (Marquise Lee, Sammy Watkins, DeJeavan Clowney, OT's Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews, and the QBs), but I expect the fall off to be quick and significant.  Next year's top-ten is the place to be.  

No I meant Manuel. He's a better NFL prospect than Manziel and Bridgewater is light years better than both of them. You can throw Tajh Boyd in there too. 

Again you just have no idea what you're talking about. The reason the Redskins traded 3 1's for RG3 is because they knew how bad this year's QB class was and how good last year's was. Every draft person was talking about how bad this QB class was from before the 2012 draft. You're just denying reality. 

Oh the irony. Spot on as usual - the big story of the 2012 draft was how the 2013 draft didn't have Luck or RG3 in it. 

I'll leave it convenient for you and keep pretending that I said something about how loaded the 2013 QB draft is. You keep prepping to land Tahj Boyd, San Jose State guy, or Aaron Murray. They'll save us. 

You keep saying "the QBs" plural and the best ones are only draft eligible - none with more than a season as a starter currently and all will be juniors (tops) in 2013. What you just said is that 2014 is your typical draft - a couple of OTs, a couple of WRs, a pass rushers or two, and HOPEFULLY some QBs. Lets see how Manziel holds up across time and hope he grows a couple of inches.

You keep saying "the QBs" plural and the best ones are only draft eligible - none with more than a season as a starter currently and all will be juniors (tops) in 2013. What you just said is that 2014 is your typical draft - a couple of OTs, a couple of WRs, a pass rushers or two, and HOPEFULLY some QBs. Lets see how Manziel holds up across time and hope he grows a couple of inches.

Three years ago, Russell Wilson and RGIII were going to be slot receivers drafted in the sixth round.

You keep saying "the QBs" plural and the best ones are only draft eligible - none with more than a season as a starter currently and all will be juniors (tops) in 2013. What you just said is that 2014 is your typical draft - a couple of OTs, a couple of WRs, a pass rushers or two, and HOPEFULLY some QBs.

You just don't make any sense. The bottom line is that the Jets need a franchise QB. So how are do you get that? You can't trade for one, there are none that are FA's and none in the draft this season so you put yourself in a position to get one next year when there might potentially be one in the draft if Bridgewater comes out which he almost definitely will. If he doesn't, then he doesn't and the jets will go another year without a franchise QB, But your argument seems to be against even putting the team in position to take advantage of one coming out should they have the chance to. It makes no sense. What alternative are you presenting?

RTs are going to be making LT money in due time anyway, and g'luck to Smith in his search for the team willing to pay him 9 million a year anyway.

What player can the Jets acquire that will not require them neglecting other positions? There isn't a player who is going to blanket cover all the positions/holes. The goal should be to get the best talents possible at the positions they can land high quality talents at this offseason, fill the roster with filler where there aren't impact talents. 

1. We're not in a position to set the spending standard on RT's.

2. "Player" (singular?). Anyone who will play for us.  Ed Reed/Charles Woodson will probably look to play for a contender given their age.  But we could manage to sign ANY player we want, we just have to move their guaranteed monies out to later years.  But that strategy is what got us in the position we're in.  We had to purge the roster to get $8M under the cap, and we still have a dozen or so free agents leaving the team that we need to reel back or replace. Some "players" (plural) that come to mind (and pardon my parroting): OLB Victor Butler, G/T Geoff Schwartz, TE/FB James Casey, WR Kevin Ogletree, maybe "splurge" on an Anthony Spencer or Cliff Avril.    

No I meant Manuel. He's a better NFL prospect than Manziel and Bridgewater is light years better than both of them. You can throw Tajh Boyd in there too. 

What school does "Manuel" go to? Better yet, what is his full name?

Three years ago, Russell Wilson and RGIII were going to be slot receivers drafted in the sixth round.

People loved freshman RG3. Wilson probably was seen as another...what was that guy from OSU the Ravens drafted? Tyrod Taylor maybe?

You just don't make any sense.

pot_kettle_black.jpg

The bottom line is that the Jets need a franchise QB. So how are do you get that?

I'll save myself the mystery for a few seconds to write that it's probably to wait for one to magic us. When hunting unicorns one must let the unicorn come to you! 

You can't trade for one, there are none that are FA's and none in the draft this season so you put yourself in a position to get one next year when there might potentially be one in the draft if Bridgewater comes out which he almost definitely will.

So the Jets get another opportunity to land a junior QB but this time it's TWO seasons of starting rather than one? That's if this junior is dumb enough to come out early. Then again, there's no one in his way as competition if he does come out. Hilarious how this loaded 2014 QB class only has one name being pimped by you. We should be setting ourselves up to have the pick of the QB litter in 2014! 

If he doesn't, then he doesn't and the jets will go another year without a franchise QB, But your argument seems to be against even putting the team in position to take advantage of one coming out should they have the chance to. It makes no sense. What alternative are you presenting?

Why would they go another year when that 2014 class is soooooooo loaded with QB talents? It's a WAY better class than 2013's, remember? One junior deep! 

I'm presenting the alternative of not deluding myself into buying that 2014's draft presents any better opportunity to land a QB than 2013's draft. IF Bridgewater comes out there's one super talented guy QB in the draft. While you can sing from the mountains that one is more than none, it's not even 100% set that the one guy who MIGHT be worth tanking for even comes out. That's not a plan, that's a prayer. Prayers can be pretty bullsh*t. 

People loved freshman RG3. Wilson probably was seen as another...what was that guy from OSU the Ravens drafted? Tyrod Taylor maybe?

pot_kettle_black.jpg

I'll save myself the mystery for a few seconds to write that it's probably to wait for one to magic us. When hunting unicorns one must let the unicorn come to you! 

So the Jets get another opportunity to land a junior QB but this time it's TWO seasons of starting rather than one? That's if this junior is dumb enough to come out early. Then again, there's no one in his way as competition if he does come out. Hilarious how this loaded 2014 QB class only has one name being pimped by you. We should be setting ourselves up to have the pick of the QB litter in 2014! 

Why would they go another year when that 2014 class is soooooooo loaded with QB talents? It's a WAY better class than 2013's, remember? One junior deep! 

I'm presenting the alternative of not deluding myself into buying that 2014's draft presents any better opportunity to land a QB than 2013's draft. IF Bridgewater comes out there's one super talented guy QB in the draft. While you can sing from the mountains that one is more than none, it's not even 100% set that the one guy who MIGHT be worth tanking for even comes out. That's not a plan, that's a prayer. Prayers can be pretty bullsh*t. 

Again, you LOVE attacking anything I'm saying but you have no actual plan for how the jets are going to get a franchise QB yourself. Putting yourself in position to get one doesn't guarantee that you will, but not putting yourself in that position guarantees that you won't. 

Are you grumpy or something?  Grab some coffee, dude.  sh*t, lighten up. :love0038:

I like Aaron Murray and Tahj Boyd. A lot.  Both will be fourth-year seniors next year. Fales will be a graduating senior, albeit with limited experience.  Only Bridgewater will be a Junior, and that will be with three full years of playing time.    

1. We're not in a position to set the spending standard on RT's.

2. "Player" (singular?). Anyone who will play for us.  Ed Reed/Charles Woodson will probably look to play for a contender given their age.  But we could manage to sign ANY player we want, we just have to move their guaranteed monies out to later years.  But that strategy is what got us in the position we're in.  We had to purge the roster to get $8M under the cap, and we still have a dozen or so free agents leaving the team that we need to reel back or replace. Some "players" (plural) that come to mind (and pardon my parroting): OLB Victor Butler, G/T Geoff Schwartz, TE/FB James Casey, WR Kevin Ogletree, maybe "splurge" on an Anthony Spencer or Cliff Avril.    

1. According to this place the Jets aren't in a position to do anything but lose. You spend on what makes you better, and if it's one of the mid-20's linemen that are arguably the best available non-franchised FAs then so be it.

2. We're not in that bad of a position. Dipsh*t worksout at QB and this team is working on loading up for yet another run. I treat it no differently from that and try to get the team into position to compete if they can get some good QB play - makes everyone's life easier. 

What the Jets did to get under the cap this year is routine in the NFL - it's a league with ridiculous turnover rates on rosters thanks to the ability to just tell a guy to **** off in the middle of his contract.

Those players are all people I expect the team to go after (minus Spencer being the splurge) and that kind of spending is a given in this league anyway. 

Again, you LOVE attacking anything I'm saying but you have no actual plan for how the jets are going to get a franchise QB yourself. Putting yourself in position to get one doesn't guarantee that you will, but not putting yourself in that position guarantees that you won't. 

So what you're saying is that 2014's QB class is not as loaded as you claimed earlier? Shocked face.

So what you're saying is that 2014's QB class is not as loaded as you claimed earlier? Shocked face.

What does loaded even mean? That it's as good as 2012 with three pro bowl QB's? I have no idea. What I do know is that there are guys in that draft who have the potential to be franchise QB's unlike the 2013 draft. 

What does loaded even mean? That it's as good as 2012 with three pro bowl QB's? I have no idea. What I do know is that there are guys in that draft who have the potential to be franchise QB's unlike the 2013 draft. 

There is "guys" in plural again....yet you've named one...and he's a junior or draft eligible sophomore so he will have to declare early to even be in this pool of future QB talent you keep trying to tell me exists. 

1. According to this place the Jets aren't in a position to do anything but lose. You spend on what makes you better, and if it's one of the mid-20's linemen that are arguably the best available non-franchised FAs then so be it.

Maybe according to most, but I disagree.  I think it's typical fan reaction to a 6-win team to think our arrow is pointing down.  The talking heads on ESPN et. al, don't help with their bad mouthing.  We actually have a pretty talented roster that faced an in-ordinate amount of key injuries last year.  

2. We're not in that bad of a position. Dipsh*t worksout at QB and this team is working on loading up for yet another run. I treat it no differently from that and try to get the team into position to compete if they can get some good QB play - makes everyone's life easier. 

What the Jets did to get under the cap this year is routine in the NFL - it's a league with ridiculous turnover rates on rosters thanks to the ability to just tell a guy to **** off in the middle of his contract. 

I agree, we're not in that bad of a position.  A healthy Holmes, Hill and Keller would have changed the dynamic of our offense ten-fold.  Instead we left it to Sanchez to make something from nothing...and last year, he proved that he's not that guy.  Maybe nobody could have done more with what we had, but relying on preseason super stars to compensate for our losses was not aided by Mark's sudden accuracy issues.  

Dead money is present on every roster, yes.  But many many teams have a different philosophy when it comes to managing their cap.  The Niners for example tend to limit their cap carryover.  It helps when you have undrafted free agents (Alex Boone) and cast-aways (Ahmad Brooks, Carlos Rogers) contributing, but also when they can sign a guy and limit his impact on the cap (Brandon Jacobs; on the cap, off the cap). We have $4.8M in dead money.  

Maybe according to most, but I disagree.  I think it's typical fan reaction to a 6-win team to think our arrow is pointing down.  The talking heads on ESPN et. al, don't help with their bad mouthing.  We actually have a pretty talented roster that faced an in-ordinate amount of key injuries last year.  

Pretty talented roster? What the heck team were you watching? Even WITH Holmes and Revis they had a miserably talented team. Where was the talent?

Pretty talented roster? What the heck team were you watching? Even WITH Holmes and Revis they had a miserably talented team. Where was the talent?

We were hanging on by a thread, but we weren't out of the playoff hunt until our week-15 loss to Tennessee.

That was without our #1 receiver (Keller) or WR1 (Holmes) our default rookie starter (Hill), our TE2 (Cumberland), TE3 (Baker), Revis and a banged up Bryan Thomas.   

We were hanging on by a thread, but we weren't out of the playoff hunt until our week-15 loss to Tennessee.

Come on. You know as well as I do that their schedule was hilariously easy that that was the only reason they were in the race so long. If you think this is a talented roster you're just kidding yourself. Thats what got Tannenbaum fired remember when he was the laughingstock of new york for the "we're a few plays away" garbage?

Come on. You know as well as I do that their schedule was hilariously easy that that was the only reason they were in the race so long. If you think this is a talented roster you're just kidding yourself. Thats what got Tannenbaum fired remember when he was the laughingstock of new york for the "we're a few plays away" garbage?

Sanchez was the 31st ranked QB last year with a 66.9 QBR, (barely) beating only Matt Cassell, who had a 66.7 rating.

Taking him out of the equation, and spotting me at least half of the injuries we endured, and we fielded a pretty good team last year. 

The defense endured some growing pains with the loss of Revis and our new starting safety duo...but we still finished #8 overall.  

That's with the 26th ranked run defense, and 25th ranked pass rush.  Pretty impressive if you ask me. 

Add one playmaker on defense, and one playmaker on offense...then take away the preventable injuries (i.e, pulled hamstrings) and our team easily wins 2-3 more games.  Take back half of Sanchez' interceptions and last year's team is easily in the playoffs. 

Sanchez was the 31st ranked QB last year with a 66.9 QBR, (barely) beating only Matt Cassell, who had a 66.7 rating.

Taking him out of the equation, and spotting me at least half of the injuries we endured, and we fielded a pretty good team last year. 

The defense endured some growing pains with the loss of Revis and our new starting safety duo...but we still finished #8 overall.  

That's with the 26th ranked run defense, and 25th ranked pass rush.  Pretty impressive if you ask me. 

Add one playmaker on defense, and one playmaker on offense...then take away the preventable injuries (i.e, pulled hamstrings) and our team easily wins 2-3 more games.  Take back half of Sanchez' interceptions and last year's team is easily in the playoffs. 

This is why the Jets are the Jets.   They weren't a great team when they went 9-7 and wound up in the AFC Championship game. It took a forfeited second half and a rested Manning to even make the playoffs that season.   They did make some improvements, but it was more along the lines of "rentals" over long term depth and playmakers.      But this is the Jets.  They hope to sneak into the playoffs, maybe make a run, but never improve.  And start all over again.   Parcells teams were never great, Vinny went down and that was that.  Herms teams were never great, but they made the playoffs and just never improved to beat the good teams.   Mangini just was confused and wanted to prove BB wrong.   Now with Rex, it's the same thing.  They have a good season or two and then just never improve and wind up having to start over.

This is why the Jets are the Jets.   They weren't a great team when they went 9-7 and wound up in the AFC Championship game. It took a forfeited second half and a rested Manning to even make the playoffs that season.   They did make some improvements, but it was more along the lines of "rentals" over long term depth and playmakers.      But this is the Jets.  They hope to sneak into the playoffs, maybe make a run, but never improve.  And start all over again.   Parcells teams were never great, Vinny went down and that was that.  Herms teams were never great, but they made the playoffs and just never improved to beat the good teams.   Mangini just was confused and wanted to prove BB wrong.   Now with Rex, it's the same thing.  They have a good season or two and then just never improve and wind up having to start over.

I don't know if I agree with this.  It's not like we draft players to NOT be good, we just didn't hit on some picks (like every other team), and the "rentals" were viewed as key additions.  They just didn't work out the way we expected.

The 1998 team and the 2008 team, until Favre got hurt, were great teams.You're right about Rex's teams. They have been good teams that played above their heads in a few good playoff matchups.

So I guess that applies to Calvin Johnson too, then? Since a guy like Revis can take him out of his game, he's not worth much?

Not at all, and really just a terrible argument.

If Revis can be neutralized by a great running game, a good #2 WR, and a good receiving TE, that's applies to a ton of teams and players in the league.  On the other hand, there are few teams that have a "Revis" which can neutralize a Calvin Johnson.  So, Calvin Johnson is neutralized once, maybe twice a season.

And yet, Calvin Johnson hasn't taken the Lions anywhere, so the argument stands that one player who isn't a QB, isn't worth that cap %.

Not at all, and really just a terrible argument.

If Revis can be neutralized by a great running game, a good #2 WR, and a good receiving TE, that's applies to a ton of teams and players in the league.  On the other hand, there are few teams that have a "Revis" which can neutralize a Calvin Johnson.  So, Calvin Johnson is neutralized once, maybe twice a season.

And yet, Calvin Johnson hasn't taken the Lions anywhere, so the argument stands that one player who isn't a QB, isn't worth that cap %.

Maybe the Ravens will be the team to test this theory.  They paid Flacco, so they probably won't be able to spend so much on everybody else.  We will see if Flacco is really one of those QBs or if they won as a function of the rest of the team. 

Maybe the Ravens will be the team to test this theory.  They paid Flacco, so they probably won't be able to spend so much on everybody else.  We will see if Flacco is really one of those QBs or if they won as a function of the rest of the team. 

We saw what Brady and the Pats did.   Yes, Brady is a lot older and might only have a few more seasons left, whereas Flacco should be around for the next ten seasons.   Newsome seems to know what he's doing though.  Remember they've been a contender for years. They just never had a legit QB.  Will this Flacco deal make it harder for them to sign some great talen?   Of course it will.  But Newsome and the Ravens scouts seem to know how to draft players and how to sign talent year after year.  

The problem they will have is the problem many teams have who pay 1-2 players 40 percent of the salary cap.   Building around them. The Colts never really could with Manning, they were just fortunate that Manning was always Manning.  That is until the playoffs.  Manning has an off game or is just avg, and the Colts would usually lose.    Same goes with the Patriots now, Even with that cap deal,  the Pats are Brady's team.  If Brady isn't Brady, the Pats don't seem to win.      It's funny how the Pats became the Colts and are stuck in the same can't win in big games pattern.  I also think it's more than just money.  Sometimes when you have the Manning's and now Brady's and Rodgers,  people expect their star QB to win it for them.   It's not as bad as the NBA where a team will stand around and watch a star player, but it can be similar.   

We saw what Brady and the Pats did.   Yes, Brady is a lot older and might only have a few more seasons left, whereas Flacco should be around for the next ten seasons.   Newsome seems to know what he's doing though.  Remember they've been a contender for years. They just never had a legit QB.  Will this Flacco deal make it harder for them to sign some great talen?   Of course it will.  But Newsome and the Ravens scouts seem to know how to draft players and how to sign talent year after year.  

The problem they will have is the problem many teams have who pay 1-2 players 40 percent of the salary cap.   Building around them. The Colts never really could with Manning, they were just fortunate that Manning was always Manning.  That is until the playoffs.  Manning has an off game or is just avg, and the Colts would usually lose.    Same goes with the Patriots now, Even with that cap deal,  the Pats are Brady's team.  If Brady isn't Brady, the Pats don't seem to win.      It's funny how the Pats became the Colts and are stuck in the same can't win in big games pattern.  I also think it's more than just money.  Sometimes when you have the Manning's and now Brady's and Rodgers,  people expect their star QB to win it for them.   It's not as bad as the NBA where a team will stand around and watch a star player, but it can be similar.   

I agree that Ozzie knows what he is doing, but Flacco's deal is pretty rich. We'll see how they can work around it.  Of course it will never really prove anything because if they don't win it will be either because Flacco isn't so great or they don't have the complimentary pieces and if they do win it will be either because Flacco is a superstar QB or they DO have the complimentary pieces.

I agree that Ozzie knows what he is doing, but Flacco's deal is pretty rich. We'll see how they can work around it.  Of course it will never really prove anything because if they don't win it will be either because Flacco isn't so great or they don't have the complimentary pieces and if they do win it will be either because Flacco is a superstar QB or they DO have the complimentary pieces.

If Flacco and the Ravens wind up like Manning and Brady (teams who win during the regular season but come up short in the post season),  nobody will say the contract was the reason.  Maybe a little less money could have added an extra player, but who knows.  Sometimes teams get lucky or for one game, a team is just a little bit better.  But If the Ravens wind up 8-8 and 9-7 every year,  you can say Flacco wasn't worth that contract.

Flacco is probably being paid way above his value.  I think he's a good QB, but he's being paid to be the best, which he is not.

But if it were overpay Revis vs. overpay Flacco, I'd probably overpay Flacco, just based on the position.

Archived