Sources: Niners in pursuit of Darrelle Revis

JetsFanInDenver

Maybe the Ravens will be the team to test this theory. They paid Flacco, so they probably won't be able to spend so much on everybody else. We will see if Flacco is really one of those QBs or if they won as a function of the rest of the team.

Yeah, I don't think Flacco is one of those guys that you can plug into any team and they become six wins better overnight. He makes his money by dropping bombs into the hands of his track team wideouts, then letting Ray Rice tear up backed-off defenses.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I don't think Flacco is one of those guys that you can plug into any team and they become six wins better overnight. He makes his money by dropping bombs into the hands of his track team wideouts, then letting Ray Rice tear up backed-off defenses.

Well, now he makes a whole hell of a lot of it!

Revis adds fuel to fire.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-gm-talks-revis-rehab-tebow-future-article-1.1279074

Darrelle
Revis not fond of NY Jets and GM John Idzik talking trade at NFL
Combine, says being on San Francisco 49ers would be 'awesome'
Published: Monday, March 4, 2013, 4:10 PM
Updated: Tuesday, March 5, 2013, 12:45 AM
Robert Sabo/New York Daily News

Darrelle Revis has started to realize that he may not finish his career with the Jets.

The perennial Pro Bowl cornerback discussed his future with Seahawks
fullback Michael Robinson in a YouTube video posted on Monday, including
trade rumors that have dominated the Jets’ offseason.

The Daily News reported last week that new general manager John Idzik
didn’t meet with Revis’ representatives at the NFL Scouting Combine as
he quietly shopped him to other teams.

“This hit home,” Revis told Robinson in the Real Rob Report from the
cornerback’s training facility in Arizona. “This definitely hit home
especially being one of the best players out there and come to find out
you’re getting shopped. It really hits home. But my main focus is it
really doesn’t matter where I be at, I know what I can do. I’m confident
in what I do… whether it be there with the New York Jets or if it be
with another team, I have to do what I have to do and play ball… and do
my services with that team.”

Idzik told season-ticket holders on a conference call Monday that
Revis, who had season-ending left ACL surgery more than four months ago,
is “ahead of schedule” in his rehab. However, Revis’ future with the
only team he has played for remains in doubt. The 49ers, who have 12
tradeable picks in the upcoming draft, were linked to Revis last week,
but sources told The News no deal was imminent.

“You’ve got to tip your hat off to them to what they did this past
year,” Revis said of the 49ers. “This is a team with a great coach —
(Jim) Harbaugh — and great players on their team. They did it without me
last year. So, for me, looking at their roster and their team, I would
just be an addition to help them win that trophy. Would it be awesome? I
mean, yeah.

RELATED: JETS GM HINTS TEBOW TIME IN NY NOT UP

“My main goal as a player — and I think all of us as players in the NFL
— is to hold that Lombardi Trophy up in the air and wear that ring,”
Revis added. “They are definitely a contender and they will be a
contender for the next couple years… That’s a great conference… and
we’ll see. My representatives are going to do the best job they can for
me… whether I stay a New York Jet or whether I have to move on somewhere
else.”

Revis, scheduled to earn a $1 million roster bonus in mid-March, will
be an unrestricted free agent after the season if he attends all
mandatory workouts and training camp.

Revis also went on a tangent when asked about his relationship with Rex
Ryan, who reiterated on Monday during the conference call with fans
that there’s no truth to the trade talk involving his best player. He
joked about his coach’s foot fetish videos that grabbed headlines a
couple years ago.

“We’ve joked about it before a couple times just to have some giggles,”
Revis said. “That’s the type of guy he is. There’s bumps in the road.
You’ve just got to laugh at those type of things. That’s his wife. If
that’s his thing and what he does and what they do, that’s awesome.
You’ve got to live life. Now if it was somebody else, then people can
raise their eyebrows a little more. Rex is that type of guy and he’s
going be that way…. Anybody would want to play for him.”

Though many fans inquired about the Jets’ plans for free agency — Idzik
said he doesn’t view the salary cap as a “constraint” — Idzik and Ryan
didn’t discuss the team’s specific plans for the offseason. On Monday,
the Jets decided not to slap tight end Dustin Keller or anyone on the
team with the franchise tag.

Though Keller is an asset on offense, a franchise tag of just over $6
million for the tight end isn’t in the cards for the Jets’ cap
situation. Keller is an unrestricted free agent. The News learned that
the Jets have considered placing a second-round tender on second-string
tight end Jeff Cumberland, a restricted free agent.

Such a tender would offer Cumberland a one-year, $2 million deal and
would entitle the Jets to a second-round pick if he were to sign
elsewhere.

transparent attempt to gain sympathy.  I'm sure his "representatives" gave him an idea of what to say and how far he should go.

hopefully there's no response from the Jets.  Someone should lock Rex in a closet for 2 days.

The problem with this whole trade issue is Revis & his agent.

Any team that takes him has to come to terms that they will have to sign him to an extended contract for at least $14 Mil a year or deal with someone who can not sit out & will be more interested in free agency in 2014.

You have to remember, if the Jets succeed in a trade, his contract for 2013 remains intact (If he sits out, the team that gets him can franchise him until 2016).

I still think though that Idzak is looking for Revis to get so upset that he sits out the OTS in April, which would give the Jets the option to extend his contract until 2016.

Looks like this may be a Win/Win senario for Gang Green when it comes to Revis; Trade him to San Fran & Walk away with possibly the 31st & 33rd Pick in the 2013 Draft or he holds out & we get him until 2016 (longer he holds out/harder for him to get the money he wants in free agency).

There hasn't been a WR on the Jets in the last 10 years who is less of a "track team" type receiver than Anquan Boldin.  Maybe Chrebet is the last one I can think of offhand.  Even when he was younger and faster, I think he ran like a 4.7 at the combine coming out of college.

I think it's funny that the whole board gets their panties in a bunch over the fact that they perceive Revis to have his panties in a bunch. To top it off, when poor Keller says he'd like to stay with the team, the collective response is :"**** him!" This place needs a shrink.

They are trying to rob my friend Woody Johnson. The only Foozball players worth having are high quality QBs. It's THE ONLY way to win. Just ask superstar SB QBs Joe Flacco and Colin Kaepernick.

I think it's funny that the whole board gets their panties in a bunch over the fact that they perceive Revis to have his panties in a bunch.  To top it off, when poor Keller says he'd like to stay with the team, the collective response is :"**** him!"  This place needs a shrink.

What Keller wants is irrelevant. He just isn't good. Revis is a different story but the Jets have to do their due diligence on his health and the absolute most they can get for him on the trade market, they don't have to be responsive to him every time he chirps.

The more I see from guys like Revis, our supposed leaders, the more I understand why this team folds up when faced with adversity.

He's a great, great player, but I would argue a part of this team's solidarity problems. He may say all the right things, but actions undermine words. Me-first, immature assholes that jockey for position are not leaders of men.

Listening to Jason Cole this morning doing an interview on the Steve Czaban show - he's talking like its all but done. No way Revis is on the Jets this season. 49'ers and Atlanta want him badly. He also said the Jets will be lucky to get a 1st and 3rd. More likely a 1st and a 4th and a throw away late rounder.

Sucks that we finally get a HOF player and he's such a damn headache the stupid Jets dont know how to handle him.

There hasn't been a WR on the Jets in the last 10 years who is less of a "track team" type receiver than Anquan Boldin. Maybe Chrebet is the last one I can think of offhand. Even when he was younger and faster, I think he ran like a 4.7 at the combine coming out of college.

Boldin did average 14+ per grab this year, but I was referring to the two outside guys--Smith and Jacoby Jones. Even the TE averaged 12 ypc

Listening to Jason Cole this morning doing an interview on the Steve Czaban show - he's talking like its all but done. No way Revis is on the Jets this season. 49'ers and Atlanta want him badly. He also said the Jets will be lucky to get a 1st and 3rd. More likely a 1st and a 4th and a throw away late rounder.

Sucks that we finally get a HOF player and he's such a damn headache the stupid Jets dont know how to handle him.

an additional 1st and 3rd starts the rebuilding and clears out a big contract in the process. 

It doesn't seem like the Jets really have much of a choice w/Revis - get 2 or 3 picks or watch him walk after a 6-10 season.

meh..  any guess at compensation is just wild speculation.  I'm sure Idzik is quite aware that taking a 1st and a 4th would result in quite a backlash from the less informed of the fanbase..  especially if it's from top teams picking at the end of the rounds.

they're close to thousands of people defaulting on their PSL's.  they can't afford to give the appearance of being slapped around by trading Revis for a bag of beans.

Idzik can immediately earn his stripes by orchestrating a fair deal.  SF's 31st, 34th, and a conditional pick next year could be enough.

All teams have a Revis, and it's on the GM to create a salary structure wherein you can pay a Revis. The Jets problem (via Tannenbaum) is that he overpaid Holmes and Sanchez and Bart Scott and David Harris, etc, and his trading away of picks led him to have to overpay stopgap FAs to fill holes that other teams plug minimum salary guys into. You don't see the Cardinals crying to the papers about signing Larry Fitzgerald, or the Ravens crying about losing Flacco.

All teams have a Revis, and it's on the GM to create a salary structure wherein you can pay a Revis. The Jets problem (via Tannenbaum) is that he overpaid Holmes and Sanchez and Bart Scott and David Harris, etc, and his trading away of picks led him to have to overpay stopgap FAs to fill holes that other teams plug minimum salary guys into. You don't see the Cardinals crying to the papers about signing Larry Fitzgerald, or the Ravens crying about losing Flacco.

So basically we paid the wrong guys.

an additional 1st and 3rd starts the rebuilding and clears out a big contract in the process. 

It doesn't seem like the Jets really have much of a choice w/Revis - get 2 or 3 picks or watch him walk after a 6-10 season.

I'm all for it.  It just sucks.  As a fan, its a joy to watch the guy but he's holding back the team IMO.  To go through this song and dance every offseason is unnecessary distraction especially considering the Jets had the 2nd best pass D in the league this season without him.

meh..  any guess at compensation is just wild speculation.  I'm sure Idzik is quite aware that taking a 1st and a 4th would result in quite a backlash from the less informed of the fanbase..  especially if it's from top teams picking at the end of the rounds.

they're close to thousands of people defaulting on their PSL's.  they can't afford to give the appearance of being slapped around by trading Revis for a bag of beans.

Idzik can immediately earn his stripes by orchestrating a fair deal.  SF's 31st, 34th, and a conditional pick next year could be enough.

No way in hell San Fran is giving us their 31st and 34th picks.  Not a chance.  

I'm thinking its probably going to be a 1st and 3rd.  

Agreed. Tanny shelled out some horrible contracts.  Cole also said if the Jets had any brains, they'd get rid of roster fodder to make room for Revis...they have plenty of it.

NY Jets have teams interested in Darrelle Revis trade; San Francisco 49ers, Atlanta Falcons on hook as source says star cornerback is 'gone'

Manish Mehta / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Wednesday, March 6, 2013, 1:56 AM

Two or three “legitimate buyers” are prepared to make a trade for perennial Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis when free agency and the trading period begin on March 12, the Daily News has learned.

The NFC champion 49ers, who will have 12 tradeable picks in next month’s draft and a glaring need for a top cornerback, are interested in trading for Revis sooner rather than later, according to sources. The Falcons, who lost to the 49ers in the NFC Championship Game, are also considered a team that could emerge as a player in the Revis sweepstakes.

By acting now, new GM John Idzik could jolt the NFL landscape in the coming days and reshape the future of the wayward franchise before an already select market for Revis shrinks.

But it appears to be only a matter of time before the Jets part ways with their most valuable asset.

“He’s gone,” a source familiar with the situation said Tuesday. “This is happening. They’re moving him. They can’t keep him. They’re rebuilding. They’re starting fresh.”

The timetable for trading one of the best players in franchise history is not set, but a lack of urgency on Idzik’s part could backfire on the Jets — some, if not all, of the serious suitors willing to take the risk now may fill their cornerback needs via free agency.

Sources told The News that a few shoppers for the cornerback have already made it clear that they are willing to dole out draft choices and set the parameters for a long-term deal with the Revis camp to get arguably the best defensive player in the NFL.

According to sources, owner Woody Johnson has told the Jets’ brain trust that it should move on from Revis, who is a little more than four months removed from season-ending knee surgery and is expected to command a new multi-year deal ranging anywhere from $12 million to $16 million per season.

One source said that Johnson never had any intention of giving Revis a long-term deal after his acrimonious 36-day holdout resulted in a “Band-Aid” deal — four years for $46 million — before the 2010 season.

However, sources told The News they believe Revis’ maximum trade value would not be reached just before the April 25 draft; they think the window opens Tuesday when teams begin signing free agents. There simply aren’t enough legitimate buyers comfortable with giving up enough draft choice compensation for a player coming off an ACL injury.

The biggest obstacle is Idzik’s reluctance to pull the trigger on a trade until closer to the draft next month — or even later this summer — to allow Revis more time to prove he is healthy and to maximize his trade value, according to sources.

Sean Smith, Aqib Talib, Brent Grimes, Chris Houston and Keenan Lewis are some of the top unrestricted free agent cornerbacks. The Buccaneers, Eagles, Chiefs and Lions are teams in need of a top corner.

However, the market for Revis, who is due a $1 million roster bonus a few days after the start of the new league year on March 12, is relatively small, given the unusual circumstances.

If the Jets wait until closer to the draft to trade Revis, they may not be able to move him due to the dearth of teams that have the resources to make it happen.

Idzik won’t be able to begin the rebuilding process through the draft until 2014 if he deals Revis this summer.

Sources familiar with the situation were adamant that the serious market for Revis would shrink by late summer, a nightmarish scenario for the Jets, who could end up being stuck with Revis during a rebuilding season.

The Jets’ parting gifts for letting Revis walk as an unrestricted free agent (he can’t be given the franchise tag per terms of his contract) after the 2013 season are 1) a likely third-round compensatory pick in the 2014 draft and 2) a $9 million cap hit in 2014 due to the current structure of his contract that includes three voidable years.

The Jets don’t have time on their side.

“I’d be shocked if Revis plays for the Jets this year,” a person familiar with the situation said. “If he plays for the Jets this year, (Idzik’s) going to be fired in three years, because he will have messed it up.”

Revis appears to open to relocating, too. He told “Real Rob Report,” an Internet show, this week that it would be “awesome” to play for the 49ers and that Idzik “is trying to clean house to get some great players in here” because “it’s a rebuilding mode for us to get the right pieces to the puzzle.”

“Revis Island will be back on the field soon,” the shutdown cornerback said. “I don’t know. We’ll see where the future leads to... if I’ll be back with the Jets or not. It really doesn’t matter. I just want to play football.”

It’s looking more and more like it won’t be with the Jets.

No way in hell San Fran is giving us their 31st and 34th picks.  Not a chance.  

I'm thinking its probably going to be a 1st and 3rd.  

If Atlanta and Seattle get interested then it's definitely possible.  You know less than nothing.

Meanwhile, no matter what happens, smart fans like you will be right here to tell us how brilliant the Jets are.

I let you know how good of a deal it is when it happens.

In the meantime Sanchez just started working out yesterday with Garcia.  He's going to go all Chad-Karate this offseason.  I really hope the Jets do what's necessary to help him excel.

Archived