Darrelle Revis Trade Value Overrated

JetNation

Schefter said on Sportscenter that Revis will be virtually impossible to trade in the coming weeks and months. For all the uncertainty and the price reasons. The Jets could trade him next season to a contender and get more, especially if he looks good. Or they could try to resign him if he looks great. 

How would we trade him next season? I  thought he's an UFA if he plays out this year

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schefter said on Sportscenter that Revis will be virtually impossible to trade in the coming weeks and months. For all the uncertainty and the price reasons. The Jets could trade him next season to a contender and get more, especially if he looks good. Or they could try to resign him if he looks great. 

He will cost the team he plays for $6M this season.  Now is a terrific time to "rent" him for a season. 

Revis knows he's playing for a paycheck, he's going to be ready to go and play lights out.  ESPN showed some video of his rehab process; he's already doing stuff on a surgically repaired knee that I can't do.  The guy is an animal, and if teams want to wait-and-see before pulling the trigger (say, after the draft but before the trade deadline) the compensation demands are only going to go up from here.  

I tend to think they have no choice but to let it ride.  if the 2013 season ends, can't he opt out or be an UFA ?  can they really trade him after 2013 ?

Hah, I think you've lost it on this one. He's a hall of fame player in his prime. He's a game changer. We don't yet know how much he's willing to sign for, especially coming off the injury.

He's a potential HoF Player, he's not one yet.

He's coming off a serious injury to his knee.

He has held out twice already in his brief career.

He wants to be paid the equivalent of a Franchise QB.

He has a history of not accepting less, and of creating discord when he's unhappy fiscally.

He is walking away from us at the end of 2013 if not exactly paid what he wants, to exploit the open market.

He knows this is likely his last shot at a huge deal.  CB's age fast.

He plays a position that is simply not worth that level of money and long-term investment, even on a contender.

We are not a contender in 2013 (most likely).

Add it up and be objective.

The Jets cannot and will not pay him, nor should they. other teams will see this, and will not offer full perceived market value. And the real market value is never what player-loving fans think it is.

Derrick Rose had surgery May 2012 for an ACL and was told 8-12 month recovery. He was back at practice by Jan 2013 (month 8) and could see his shooting percentage actually increase in year 2 after surgery. 

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2013-02-26/industries/37312051_1_acl-injuries-acl-surgery-nba-players

I'm not questioning the IF bit, but the when. Teams that may be looking to grab Revis have to throw in the possibility of him missing the first half of the season.  

Heres why I love JN btw....The thread title is called Revis' trade value is overrated....yet for weeks this is a board where a majority seems to feel like we'd be gifted by the gods if the 49ers were to be so kind as to give us one of their three highest picks.

It's full of nonsense arguments too. So many want to live in the 21st century for QBs and talk about how they're the ones you pay, but then turn around and say the one position directly in the way of the QB/WR passing game (not to mention Revis has taken out TEs) is not important. It goes widely accepted too, unquestioningly. It's just such a hole filled, incomplete thought process.

Lolwut.

I'd gladly be done with the NFL if the Jets were so weak minded to do that.  Its unbelievable the complete U turn this fanbase has taken on this guy's value to a football roster.

+1.  You have to get something for a corner in his prime who has changed the way defense is played today, and 3rds and 4ths aren't it.

You don't get comp picks for traded players.  Only when you lose them to free agency...even then, like you pointed out it is the gained value minus the lost value; the pick compensates you for that.  

I'm not spelling this out because I don't think you understand the concept, but because something got lost in translation.  We trade Revis to team-X.  Team-X would be the team to lose him to free agency, so Team-X would get the comp pick.  Right?  I don't see how that point wouldn't be brought up in potential trade negotiations. 

If the Jets trade Revis, we wash our hands of him.  We get all of the compensation we can get--from the trade, then move on. We can go willy nilly manilly in 2014, and have a competitive team again.  

As it stands, we look to lose Landry, Keller, Moore, and maybe Devito, Slauson, etc.   So long as we limit our "shopping" this year (which is what it looks like) we should get a handful of comps next year. 

And Keller and Laundry are both 3rd round comp players

Heres why I love JN btw....The thread title is called Revis' trade value is overrated....yet for weeks this is a board where a majority seems to feel like we'd be gifted by the gods if the 49ers were to be so kind as to give us one of their three highest picks.

It's full of nonsense arguments too. So many want to live in the 21st century for QBs and talk about how they're the ones you pay, but then turn around and say the one position directly in the way of the QB/WR passing game (not to mention Revis has taken out TEs) is not important. It goes widely accepted too, unquestioningly. It's just such a hole filled, incomplete thought process.

its more of hes not worth what hes paid. The hope is the jets can find a cheaper alternative that makes the team better as a whole

the nba does it all the time sending players away for next to nothing for cap space / rental

Seriously?  Tell that to Champ Bailey and Charles Woodson.  These guys last forever.  Darrell Green?  Leion Sandcastle?

its more of hes not worth what hes paid. The hope is the jets can find a cheaper alternative that makes the team better as a whole

the nba does it all the time sending players away for next to nothing for cap space / rental

Are we talking about Revis or David Harris?  He is worth a hell of a lot more than he is set to earn in 2013. 

True.

For example, and maybe some ya'll will see where I'm going with this:

-Browning Browner is due to earn $500K in 2013

-Matt Flynn is due to earn $5.25M in 2013

-Landry wants $6M/per

-Victor Butler will likely command $3.25M

-We can sign Geoff Swartz for around $2M his first year out. 

Total: $17M = 5 starting players.

vs.

$16M = 1 incredible CB.  

Just to connect the dots, I say we go all-crazy with it:

-Revis (FA next year, only $6M this year)

-Sanchez (can restructure his salary to where we pick up most of the tab, and SEA pays less than they would pay for Flynn's $5.25M...Coach Carroll reunites with his former prodigy; big told-ya-so looming)

for

-Browner (FA next year anyway, good size to play press; ideal #2 across from Cromartie)

-Flynn (FA next year, and they've said they will trade him; not release him...plus he's an experienced WCO)

-draft pick compensation for obvious imbalance of talent.  I would start with their #25 and take it from there. 

Darrelle Revis should be a Jet for life. He should take a contract that pays him the highest salary of any CB in the league for 4 years at mostly guaranteed money. His leverage with over the Jets is not nearly as strong as it has been in the past. He is coming off a major injury, and the secondary did not completely disintegrate without him last year. If the Jets aren't going to give him the $16 million per that he wants, which we won't, no one else is going to either. His asking price is going to have to come down if he plans on playing this season. 4 years at $12.5, mostly guaranteed will get a deal done tomorrow, and it is more than reasonable for both sides.

True.

For example, and maybe some ya'll will see where I'm going with this:

-Browning Browner is due to earn $500K in 2013

-Matt Flynn is due to earn $5.25M in 2013

-Landry wants $6M/per

-Victor Butler will likely command $3.25M

-We can sign Geoff Swartz for around $2M his first year out. 

Total: $17M = 5 starting players.

vs.

$16M = 1 incredible CB.  

this guy knows whatsup +1

He's a potential HoF Player, he's not one yet.

He's coming off a serious injury to his knee.

He has held out twice already in his brief career.

He wants to be paid the equivalent of a Franchise QB.

He has a history of not accepting less, and of creating discord when he's unhappy fiscally.

He is walking away from us at the end of 2013 if not exactly paid what he wants, to exploit the open market.

He plays a position that is simply not worth that level of money and long-term investment, even on a contender.

We are not a contender in 2013 (most likely).

Add it up and be objective.

The Jets cannot and will not pay him, nor should they. other teams will see this, and will not offer full perceived market value. And the real market value is never what player-loving fans think it is.

Be objective the other way around.

You're a contender. You have a franchise QB and some nice offensive weapons. Your defense is also pretty good.

If you have the money to fit it and I come to you and offer Revis for a 3rd round pick, even if you just get him for 1 year*, is there a snowball's chance in hell that you turn that deal down?

* = you also have the chance to impress him with your franchise, giving you an upper hand in signing him.

I think the lack of a franchise tag hurts our trade position.  Thanks Tanny for giving away the Jets right to franchise tag a player!  Teams know that he will undoubtedly try out free agency rather than re-up with the Jets this year.  Why exactly should the other teams ante up when he will be a free agent at the end of the season?  This way they can just sign him for the money he would have wanted anyway to complete the trade but they get a year to see how that knee holds up.

I think the lack of a franchise tag hurts our trade position.  Thanks Tanny for giving away the Jets right to franchise tag a player!  Teams know that he will undoubtedly try out free agency rather than re-up with the Jets this year.  Why exactly should the other teams ante up when he will be a free agent at the end of the season?  This way they can just sign him for the money he would have wanted anyway to complete the trade but they get a year to see how that knee holds up.

Because they want to win in 2013 and NFL windows can be mighty small? 

Teams like the Texans, Falcons, and the 49ers get a lot closer to a Super Bowl championship with a lockdown corner. Throw in a team like the Cowboys, who think they're contenders, and the Saints, and you have the makings of a bidding war that keeps Revis' value high. A team that can win next year won't be afraid of Revis' contract situation. We're all just freaked out because Tannenbaum turned every Revis negotiation into an absolute circus by running to the media after every phone call with the agents. A grown-up organization doesn't get dragged through the mud by any player over a few mil.

If Kapernick scores a TD or throws for one, or pass interference were called,  the 49ers win a super bowl. If Ryan throws a TD, the Falcons are in the super bowl.  So while Revis would definitely improve both clubs,  both clubs won without him.   Both clubs have made the playoffs without him the past few seasons.    The Texans?  They dumped defensive stars and still won a playoff game.   

Revis is the best CB in the league, but he's also a selfish player who doesn't seem to care about winning or the team.  He'd rather get his 16+ million and wind up like Mario Williams.  On a losing team with no future.

If Kapernick scores a TD or throws for one, or pass interference were called,  the 49ers win a super bowl. If Ryan throws a TD, the Falcons are in the super bowl.  So while Revis would definitely improve both clubs,  both clubs won without him.   Both clubs have made the playoffs without him the past few seasons.    The Texans?  They dumped defensive stars and still won a playoff game.   

Revis is the best CB in the league, but he's also a selfish player who doesn't seem to care about winning or the team.  He'd rather get his 16+ million and wind up like Mario Williams.  On a losing team with no future.

Yeah but if Revis takes Juilo Jones out of that game, ATL isn't even in the conversation.  The same could be said about Revis defending Crabtree as a Falcon. 

Niners lost the SB by 3 pts.  I'm sure Revis guarding Anquan Boldin may have altered that outcome.  

like the Jets? 

If the Jets signed Revis to $16 million per year, then yeah.   But at least the Jets have been a playoff team over the years.  The Bills...They haven't sniffed the playoffs in 15 years.  And they don't seem like a team that will anytime soon.   Bad contracts.  Bad drafts.  Stupid decisions.   

I love Revis as a player.   But to build a winning team, he's just not that guy.   Especially where the Jets are at this point.

Smart NBA teams, like smart any other teams, make space for prime aged elite talent evey single time. Revis changes the competitive landscape if/when he's traded.

Smart NBA teams, like smart any other teams, make space for prime aged elite talent evey single time. Revis changes the competitive landscape if/when he's traded.

im not sure im following what you just said but id say okc is a very smart franchise and they traded a 23 year old star for cap room (kmart) and some prospects (lamb and pick)

im not sure im following what you just said but id say okc is a very smart franchise and they traded a 23 year old star for cap room (kmart) and some prospects (lamb and pick)

You mean the team with Kevin Durant and Westbrook? Think there's a reason they wanted cap room with those two on the roster?

You mean the team with Kevin Durant and Westbrook? Think there's a reason they wanted cap room with those two on the roster?

they signed those guys (and ibaka) before harden. They felt out of the players they had harden wasnt the guy to waste all that money on.  They offered  him a deal he said i want more and they shipped em out to houston quickly. He was actually mad afterwords saying he wanted to think about the deal more (he didnt think theyd just say ok bye right then and there).

good players are good to have but revis is the harden who wont have a huge impact on the jets and with the money we save we could get a bunch of starters and picks. Better then letting him walk for a 3rd i think we projected?

Archived