Jets QB Rumors: David Garrard & Brady Quinn

JetNation

There are several reports saying that the New York Jets are interested in bringing in a veteran QB to compete with Mark Sanchez for the starting position.  Chris Mortenson says the Jets could have 5 quarterbacks on the roster; none of them being named Tim Tebow.

From the report on RotoWorld:

Per Mortensen, the Jets plan to sign two free-agent quarterbacks. Quinn has history with new Jets QBs coach David Lee, who “likes (Quinn) a lot.” New York will reportedly bring five quarterbacks to training camp, not including Tim Tebow. In this scenario, Quinn, Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy, and Matt Simms would account for four, and they’d add one more free-agent veteran to the mix.

Manish Mehta is also reporting that the Jets worked out David Garrard today.

The Daily News has learned that the Jets worked out veteran free agent quarterback David Garrard on Thursday as they look to find competition for Mark Sanchez this offseason.

Garrard was in Dolphins’ camp last year before being cut before the start of the regular season.

Garrard, 35, played in 86 games in nine seasons with the Jaguars before getting released before the 2011 season to pave the way for first-round pick Blaine Gabbert.

With the 49ers trading the list of available options at QB isn’t that long.  Although it isn’t what most Jets fans want to hear, it could very well be Mark Sanchez or bust next season.  You can sound off and tell us what you think in our

Sanchez, Quinn and a Mid-Round Draft Pick for 2013. 

Sounds fine to me. 

We're likely a bad team in 2013, clearing out Sanchez (and Ryan), and planting seeds for 2014-2017.

I feel for anyone who expected us to make a big-name QB deal, or provide some real legitimate #1 competition for Sanchez is a season we're playing 18 something million we can't cut.

This is about as good as we can hope for.

Sounds fine to me.

We're likely a bad team in 2013, clearing out Sanchez (and Ryan), and planting seeds for 2014-2017.

I feel for anyone who expected us to make a big-name QB deal, or provide some real legitimate #1 competition for Sanchez is a season we're playing 18 something million we can't cut.

This strange message board created philosophy is a failosophy.

Sounds fine to me. 

What if you had decided 1940 is just going to be a sh*tty year? Grow a sack Winnie

What if you had decided 1940 is just going to be a sh*tty year? Grow a sack Winnie

Expecting the Jets to bring in a savior at QB, whilst stuck with Sanchez's albatross-shaped lodestone around the franchises neck, is living in a dream world.

Veteran retreads and mid-round draft picks in a rather mediocre QB draft class is truly the best we can expect in 2013.

If you prefer to dream a dream and face the resultant dissapointment, by all means, feel free to do so.  Feel free, while you're at it, to start hating Idzik now, get on that typical-fan bandwagon early.

In 1940, we were losing, badly.  We made horrible mistakes, like trying to save the Greeks.  Like trying to save the French.  Like fighting the Hun on thier terms, not ours.  We turned it around not with fantasy, but through sticking out it, and biding our time, in Africa, in the Atlantic, and the Middle East, marshalling our forces, holding our own in the Battle of Britain, and sacking our ineffective Generals, and waiting.... 

....waiting until we were truly re-armed from our many previous mistakes, and reinforced with new blood, by the Americans.  It certainly didn't hurt that Germany invaded Russia either.

In this context, the Brittish Jets will not be getting their Cap Space American help until 2014.  Not 2013.

Expecting the Jets to bring in a savior at QB, whilst stuck with Sanchez's albatross-shaped lodestone around the franchises neck, is living in a dream world.

Veteran retreads and mid-round draft picks in a rather mediocre QB draft class is truly the best we can expect in 2013.

If you prefer to dream a dream and face the resultant dissapointment, by all means, feel free to do so.  Feel free, while you're at it, to start hating Idzik now, get on that typical-fan bandwagon early.

In 1940, we were losing, badly.  We made horrible mistakes, like trying to save the Greeks.  Like trying to save the French.  Like fighting the Hun on thier terms, not ours.  We turned it around not with fantasy, but through sticking out it, and biding our time, in Africa, in the Atlantic, and the Middle East, marshalling our forces, holding our own in the Battle of Britain, and sacking our ineffective Generals, and waiting.... 

....waiting until we were truly re-armed from our many previous mistakes, and reinforced with new blood, by the Americans.  It certainly didn't hurt that Germany invaded Russia either.

In this context, the Brittish Jets will not be getting their Cap Space American help until 2014.  Not 2013.

So ya think Beliachick might invade Russia?

From Rotoworld

Updating an earlier item, free agent QB David Garrard "anticipates putting a deal together" with the Jets, while a source tells ESPN's Adam Schefter "both sides are feeling good" about a potential deal.Garrard would provide cheap, experienced competition for fading "franchise quarterback" Mark Sanchez, but hasn't attempted a regular-season pass in 795 days. He turned 34 in February. Throw in his history of back issues, and it's highly unlikely Garrard would be able to hold down the fort in 2013 if he won the Jets' camp competition. He's at least an improvement on Mark Brunell and Tim Tebow. According to USA Today's Mike Garofolo, Garrard "has some interest elsewhere." Mar 1 - 10:47 AM

Its terrible because he is 34 and always hurt and never been a successfull starting QB.  That and he does not seem like a fit in the new offense.  I really wanted to see if a trade for Flynn was possible.  He has played in an west coast offense before.  Just want someone who fits the new offense. 

From Rotoworld

Updating an earlier item, free agent QB David Garrard "anticipates putting a deal together" with the Jets, while a source tells ESPN's Adam Schefter "both sides are feeling good" about a potential deal.Garrard would provide cheap, experienced competition for fading "franchise quarterback" Mark Sanchez, but hasn't attempted a regular-season pass in 795 days. He turned 34 in February. Throw in his history of back issues, and it's highly unlikely Garrard would be able to hold down the fort in 2013 if he won the Jets' camp competition. He's at least an improvement on Mark Brunell and Tim Tebow. According to USA Today's Mike Garofolo, Garrard "has some interest elsewhere." Mar 1 - 10:47 AM

The rumors here in Jax where he lives is that its all but a done deal.  He's a Jet.  

Its terrible because he is 34 and always hurt and never been a successfull starting QB.  That and he does not seem like a fit in the new offense.  I really wanted to see if a trade for Flynn was possible.  He has played in an west coast offense before.  Just want someone who fits the new offense. 

Flynn has BARELY played. Gerrard was in a WCO for like 6 years and is a 64% passer. He's also not signed long term like Flynn is.

Gerrard isn't awful. He's light years better than Sanchez or Brady Quinn as a stop gap. 

He was never that good when he was younger and healthy.  Now he's been hurt for years and just not that good.  It's funny how some jets fans just think cause they aren't a Jet, they are better than Sanchez.  Since when?    Sanchez stinks, but none of these guys are upgrades.  And I hate the philosophy of this is a crap year, so next year they start over with a new head coach.   That philosophy makes no sense because if the Jets wind up 8-8with that crapper of a QB situation and the Revis contract situation,  only a bad GM would dump Ryan at that point.

He was never that good when he was younger and healthy.  Now he's been hurt for years and just not that good.  It's funny how some jets fans just think cause they aren't a Jet, they are better than Sanchez.  Since when?    Sanchez stinks, but none of these guys are upgrades.  And I hate the philosophy of this is a crap year, so next year they start over with a new head coach.   That philosophy makes no sense because if the Jets wind up 8-8with that crapper of a QB situation and the Revis contract situation,  only a bad GM would dump Ryan at that point.

Thats just factually false. Gerrard's stats dwarf Sanchez' across the board. 

How long ago? How many injuries ago? How many knee surgeries ago?

And if he was so good, you'd spell his name right. Haha.

So your argument is that Sanchez is better? Sure he's been hurt, and I said "if he's healthy" every time I said anything about him. If he's not, the Jets are screwed anyway. You'd rather have Brady Quinn? You'd rather have Matt Flynn long term?

So your argument is that Sanchez is better? Sure he's been hurt, and I said "if he's healthy" every time I said anything about him. If he's not, the Jets are screwed anyway. You'd rather have Brady Quinn? You'd rather have Matt Flynn long term?

If he's healthy he's a 35 year old, no longer mobile QB who hasn't thrown a pass in an NFL game since 2010. If he's healthy.

I'd rather Sanchez start, tank the season, and cut him when the year is over.

I don't want Flynn because you have to trade for him. I'd take a flyer on Quinn because he's cheap and better than McElroy and won't ruin any future plans. Not that Garrard would, but what's the point? He poses no threat to Sanchez and couldn't beat out Tannehill.

If he's healthy he's a 35 year old, no longer mobile QB who hasn't thrown a pass in an NFL game since 2010. If he's healthy.

I'd rather Sanchez start, tank the season, and cut him when the year is over.

I don't want Flynn because you have to trade for him. I'd take a flyer on Quinn because he's cheap and better than McElroy and won't ruin any future plans. Not that Garrard would, but what's the point? He poses no threat to Sanchez and couldn't beat out Tannehill.

I don't see the downside of signing Garrard. BTW he beat out Tannehill and Moore before he got hurt last season so if he's healthy he's CLEARLY better than Sanchez as a player and will beat him out in training camp. Why would you want to watch Sanchez, McElroy or Quinn suck for the season when they can be more competitive with Garrard on a one year deal? 

I don't see the downside of signing Garrard. BTW he beat out Tannehill and Moore before he got hurt last season so if he's healthy he's CLEARLY better than Sanchez as a player and will beat him out in training camp. Why would you want to watch Sanchez, McElroy or Quinn suck for the season when they can be more competitive with Garrard on a one year deal?

Why would you want to be competitive in a lost year? Garrard isn't going to make this team any better. He's done.

Flynn has BARELY played. Gerrard was in a WCO for like 6 years and is a 64% passer. He's also not signed long term like Flynn is.

Agree Michael. This isnt a bad signing. Its plug the hole, hold the fort deal till Idzik determines Jets future direction/needs etc.

Welcome to the dark side.

We are tanking next year anyway, who really cares? This is more about Teddy Bridgewater than anything else.

I think, like many here, you overestimate just how bad the Jets will be in 2013. 

bring in 10 and pray you find 2

Agree.  Just as long as they don't... bring in 10

72060084_display_image.jpg?1307428283

Archived