Should The Jets Just Tank 2013 For Higher 2014 Draft Picks?

kelticwizard

Try For 2013 Or Tank For 2014?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should We Try For This Year Or Tank It For Next Year?

• Try For 2013
    • Tank It For 2014 Draft.

The board has seen some unusual posts and arguments lately.  A fair percentage of the members actually argue against improving the team as much as we can for this year, sayng that at best we can end up in the middle of the pack and thereby cheat ourselves out of the best players in the 2014 draft.

Other members disagree, saying you should always try to improve what you can, win as much as you can and let the chips fall where they may in the draft.

The same argument appears over and over in various threads-it seems a lot of threads come down to those competing philosophies.

So let's get it out in the open.  Do we try the best for this year, or do we just let 2013 pass into history and come back with a big rebuild in 2014?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're improving the team by making smart draft picks or good young FA's, I'm all for it. Just not old stopgap players like John Abraham who won't still be here when they will be able to fill all their holes. 

FWIW - I highly doubt signing one aging vet to a need position on the team, sets the team back in the slightest bit, if any at all.  Even the great genius teams in the league do this and it can yield very positive results.

Regarding the topic: there is no such thing as tanking a season.  You cant get an entire team to collectively agree to tank for the future good of the team.  Sports dont work that way.

FWIW - I highly doubt signing one aging vet to a need position on the team, sets the team back in the slightest bit, if any at all.  Even the great genius teams in the league do this and it can yield very positive results.

Regarding the topic: there is no such thing as tanking a season.  You cant get an entire team to collectively agree to tank for the future good of the team.  Sports dont work that way.

Of course it sets the team back because you're spending money on short term stopgaps and not long term success. 

This is straight up aloser strategy and who ever went about this plan would be fired before the next NFL calendar year. So bye, bye as another GMs uses that high draft pick in your place. Also this tanking would harm the development of those on the roster, attitude in the locker room and the business side of the sports. What free agents in the market or on the team would we even attract coming off such an horrible season. We would have to over pay that particular player to come to a scrub team. It's so illogical that's it's factually wrong. You want a high draft pick then you sell the farm and give up all your assets from that years plus the following. There's a such thing as rebuilding or re-tooling and stay competitive and that what i hope we do.

This is straight up aloser strategy and who ever went about this plan would be fired before the next NFL calendar year. So bye, bye as another GMs uses that high draft pick in your place. Also this tanking would harm the development of those on the roster, attitude in the locker room and the business side of the sports. What free agents in the market or on the team would we even attract coming off such an horrible season. We would have to over pay that particular player to come to a scrub team. It's so illogical that's it's factually wrong. You want a high draft pick then you sell the farm and give up all your assets from that years plus the following. There's a such thing as rebuilding or re-tooling and stay competitive and that what i hope we do.

There is no roster to "re-tool" they have one of the worst level of talent in the NFL. 

This Draft class sucks ... I expect more from the following year. Not to mention, the cap situation that won't help us completely rebuild this team.

I couldn't disagree more. This draft class is actually better than last years class especially with all these underclassman entering and the high rated JRs from last season coming back. If your under this impression that the entire draft class is determine by the high end QBs which is foolish then I see why you would say such a thing. But just about every position is seem to be as good or better than last season besides 4-3 OLB, QB and C.

rebuilding is a myth. Teams don't rebuild over multiple years. They get bad and usually stay bad. A coach or GM comes in and turns it around in a year or he tries again next year. This isn't baseball where you have 18 year olds on the farm or the NBA where Lebron will change the franchise. There are 53 men on the roster and the idea of rebuilding makes no sense in a league where the avg career length is less than 3 years.   and even great teams experience 15-25% roster churn as a normal stat. Even rebuilding teams will get that churn. 

Look at certain markets like Jacksonville have been rebuilding since Brunnell left. Still rebuilding... 

While I think "Tanking" the season is a bit extreme and unrealistic I'd like the Jets to focus on becoming younger and faster this year.  With their salary cap issues and severe lack of depth I don't really think this is a fixable year to begin with so what I'd do is draft well and play the young players as much as possible.  Get as little free agents as possible, and if you do need to get some don't lock them up in multi year deals unless they are young/fast enough to stick around and contribute.  With this we won't win many games but we will see what young players are worth keeping plus maximize our chance of getting a top QB in next years draft (plus a new head coach).

The only thing they should do regarding 2014 is not overdo it robbing Peter to pay Paul by moving contract money.  A little is okay IMO and they absolutely should not throw good money after bad by offering any more guarantees to guys they aren't sure they will want around past 2013, like they did with Sanchez last year.  Otherwise, they should go balls out. There is no sure thing.  Remember when Matt Barkley was a sure thing?  

I do not think any team can go with the objective of tanking a season even if they wanted to. The coaches and players all have their reputations and futures tied to how much effort they gave on the field. So no one can just deliberately tank. And if word got out and it will in such a situation than it will be a blackmark for that team no matter where they play in this country.

But yes, if the JETS are horrible and went 4-12, 3-13 this season the silver lining would be they position themselves better in the next draft.

True, you are not going to prevent players on the roster from trying to play as well as they can.  To even try might be illegal or at least against league policy.  But what has been done often is to not make too much effort to get better players than what you have, and play younger players instead of vets who might be better at this stage than the rookies,just to see how the rookie matures.

That should get you some high draft picks, as well as a couple of decent contributors among those rookies you played.

I'm not saying the Jets should do this, only pointing out that is the route a lot of fans would like to see them go.

Teams who rebuild never win.   Buffalo. Miami.  Detroit.  St. Louis.  Jacksonville. Cleveland

They have been 'rebuilding' for years and once in a while they have a decent season, but then stink again.  

The Colts lucked into Andrew Luck because Manning missed an entire year and they stunk without him and had a head coach who sucked and then they just gave up.    

Nobody goes into a season hoping to go 1-15.   If you do, the team probably stays that same 2-14 team for years.  And it's the 2013.  

The Gaints and Patriots have how many players left from that 2007 super bowl game?  

How many players do the Packers and Steelers have left from the super bowl game a few seasons ago?

And what happens if they do wind up with a top 5 pick and the kids a bust or just not that good.   

The Jets picked DBrick and Gholston in the top 5 and how'd that turn out?  

Dbrick is ok, but he's not a guy who suddenly turns a 1-15 team into a 15-1 super bowl contender.

And Gholston, is he even in the NFL anymore after never even starting?

Hell, look at the DBrick draft class.   Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Vince Young, etc.

How many of those guys are still on the same team that drafted them?  How many actually made that big of a difference?

Bush won a super bowl and had some nice plays, but the Saints had Drew Brees. Without Brees, Saints dont win a super bowl.

Bush was more a ESPN highlight kind of guy over an AP mvp type.

If you're asking me if I'd rather be 12-4 than 4-12, then, sure, I'll take 12-4. But you're asking here if I'd rather be 8-8 or 4-12. The Jets suck. The roster sucks. The contracts on this roster sucks. Clean those contracts out, go 4-12, and start the rebuild in earnest.

Teams who rebuild never win.   Buffalo. Miami.  Detroit.  St. Louis.  Jacksonville. Cleveland

They have been 'rebuilding' for years and once in a while they have a decent season, but then stink again.  

The Colts lucked into Andrew Luck because Manning missed an entire year and they stunk without him and had a head coach who sucked and then they just gave up.    

Nobody goes into a season hoping to go 1-15.   If you do, the team probably stays that same 2-14 team for years.  And it's the 2013.  

The Gaints and Patriots have how many players left from that 2007 super bowl game?  

How many players do the Packers and Steelers have left from the super bowl game a few seasons ago?

And what happens if they do wind up with a top 5 pick and the kids a bust or just not that good.   

The Jets picked DBrick and Gholston in the top 5 and how'd that turn out?  

Dbrick is ok, but he's not a guy who suddenly turns a 1-15 team into a 15-1 super bowl contender.

And Gholston, is he even in the NFL anymore after never even starting?

Hell, look at the DBrick draft class.   Mario Williams, Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, Jay Cutler, Vince Young, etc.

How many of those guys are still on the same team that drafted them?  How many actually made that big of a difference?

Bush won a super bowl and had some nice plays, but the Saints had Drew Brees. Without Brees, Saints dont win a super bowl.

Bush was more a ESPN highlight kind of guy over an AP mvp type.

DBrick is gonna have a career like Lomas Brown or Walter Jones and play til 2020 (or more). Hes already been to hawaii 3x,  That's more than ok, especially considering the alternatives. Reggie Bush has a ring (and a heisman) but people still think he was a "bust" other than that i basically agree with the whole post.  The draft is the only way to get better but it's also a harsh mistress and some years the draft just sucks. 

How many Jets are playing 2013 as their contract year?

Before we commit to the tank, we'll have to get their approval since they're playing for a future contract...they could totally jam us up.

The same team that has basically quit on Rex the last two seasons?

So they've committed to the three-year tank...impressive foresight.

I actually think they were aware that after Woody and Jones retired there was going to be heavy turnover coming. Players age quickly in this league and a few of the best players from '09 and '10 were 30+. Unfortunately sh*tdick Sanchez couldn't pick up the slack like a QB can.

DBrick is gonna have a career like Lomas Brown or Walter Jones and play til 2020 (or more). Hes already been to hawaii 3x,  That's more than ok, especially considering the alternatives. Reggie Bush has a ring (and a heisman) but people still think he was a "bust" other than that i basically agree with the whole post.  The draft is the only way to get better but it's also a harsh mistress and some years the draft just sucks. 

Don't get me wrong, Dbrick is a good player. And you're right, he might play till 2020 and still contribute.   The problem is, Dbrick was a top 5 pick in the draft and what has it really done for the Jets?   He's not a guy who turns a team from horrible to great.  You need 10-12 Dbricks on a team year after year to compete.  And even then,  without some stud stars,  the Dbricks of the world are just the foundation.  Dbrick would be the same player on a 2-14 Jets team as he was on a 14-2 Jets team.   He would be an important piece on a winning team, but at the end of the day,  tanking a season to get a Dbrick doesn't suddenly make you a winner.  And thats the problem with tanking.   

If you look at the winning organizations over the past 10 years.  Teams who might have had a hiccup here or there but always seem to be in the playoffs or fighting for the playoffs (Patriots, Colts, Steelers, Packers, etc)  they seem to have that great QB, but they also seem to know how to make avg or throw away players better.    Does it always work?  No.   But the Jets cut a RB while the Patriots turned him into a contributor.  Thats not tanking, that's just knowing talent and how to utilize it.

Don't get me wrong, Dbrick is a good player. And you're right, he might play till 2020 and still contribute.   The problem is, Dbrick was a top 5 pick in the draft and what has it really done for the Jets?   He's not a guy who turns a team from horrible to great.  You need 10-12 Dbricks on a team year after year to compete.  And even then,  without some stud stars,  the Dbricks of the world are just the foundation.  Dbrick would be the same player on a 2-14 Jets team as he was on a 14-2 Jets team.   He would be an important piece on a winning team, but at the end of the day,  tanking a season to get a Dbrick doesn't suddenly make you a winner.  And thats the problem with tanking.   

If you look at the winning organizations over the past 10 years.  Teams who might have had a hiccup here or there but always seem to be in the playoffs or fighting for the playoffs (Patriots, Colts, Steelers, Packers, etc)  they seem to have that great QB, but they also seem to know how to make avg or throw away players better.    Does it always work?  No.   But the Jets cut a RB while the Patriots turned him into a contributor.  Thats not tanking, that's just knowing talent and how to utilize it.

I actually think they were aware that after Woody and Jones retired there was going to be heavy turnover coming. Players age quickly in this league and a few of the best players from '09 and '10 were 30+. Unfortunately

I highlighted the most important thing you said...and the reason, if any, this season would be about "building".

Nobody tanks.  But some years you pull out the check-book and add the one or two pieces to put you over the top. This is not one of those years. 

I actually think they were aware that after Woody and Jones retired there was going to be heavy turnover coming. Players age quickly in this league and a few of the best players from '09 and '10 were 30+. Unfortunately sh*tdick Sanchez couldn't pick up the slack like a QB can.

I'll give you Woody, but I'm taking Jones. 

Dancing Bear left to redder pastures if you remember correctly.  

If you're asking me if I'd rather be 12-4 than 4-12, then, sure, I'll take 12-4. But you're asking here if I'd rather be 8-8 or 4-12. The Jets suck. The roster sucks. The contracts on this roster sucks. Clean those contracts out, go 4-12, and start the rebuild in earnest.

Hello?!? You play. To win. The game.

But the Jets do have some mediocre players under some incredible contracts. Really like to see the new GM flip those adjectives. I'd be in favor of an austerity budget in 2013, excising Sanchez, getting money back from Harris or dumping him, etc., but I wouldn't tank the season for a draft pick.

I'd want to draft as well as possible, add a couple inexpensive FAs who could help this year and long term, and make an effort to win with what they've got.

Now if they find themselves at 2-11 late in the year despite their efforts, I may have a different opinion on tanking the rest of the season. But I can't imagine going into the season looking to tank it, however well it may've worked for the Colts.

But the Jets do have some mediocre players under some incredible contracts. Really like to see the new GM flip those adjectives. I'd be in favor of an austerity budget in 2013, excising Sanchez, getting money back from Harris or dumping him, etc., but I wouldn't tank the season for a draft pick.

I'd want to draft as well as possible, add a couple inexpensive FAs who could help this year and long term, and make an effort to win with what they've got.

Now if they find themselves at 2-11 late in the year despite their efforts, I may have a different opinion on tanking the rest of the season. But I can't imagine going into the season looking to tank it, however well it may've worked for the Colts.

Colts got lucky.  If Manning was healthy enough or played for 8 games and then couldn't play no more,  Andrew Luck would be on another team.  Nobody would be thinking the Colts were smart.    Anything is possible,  but Luck was the "once in a lifetime QB" and people knew that for a couple of seasons.      So the Colts didn't really tank, they just lost a HOF QB for a year and never recovered.

There are no long term rebuilds anymore.   You can't tank this season, then draft some young QB and hope he is legit.   I mean for every Luck, Wilson and RG3,  there are Cam Newtons, Staffords Bradfords, etc.   They've all had moments but their teams aren't exactly winning.  And who knows,  the Redskins and Colts might suck next year.  Remember the Lions made the playoffs one season, went 4-12 the next.

They need to find talent this season, start building from that.  And continue to do that.  

I think I agree. What I don't want to see is Idzik signing the John Abrahams of the world in hopes of squeaking out one or two more wins. If he dips into FA, it has to either be for young guys that will be here for five years, or older, one year rentals who are coming here to fill out a 53. I think Rex has a 6.9% chance of being the Jets coach 365 days from now. I'm not overly interested in making investments in players that the next coach may or may not want or need.

Colts got lucky.  If Manning was healthy enough or played for 8 games and then couldn't play no more,  Andrew Luck would be on another team.  Nobody would be thinking the Colts were smart.    Anything is possible,  but Luck was the "once in a lifetime QB" and people knew that for a couple of seasons.      So the Colts didn't really tank, they just lost a HOF QB for a year and never recovered.

There are no long term rebuilds anymore.   You can't tank this season, then draft some young QB and hope he is legit.   I mean for every Luck, Wilson and RG3,  there are Cam Newtons, Staffords Bradfords, etc.   They've all had moments but their teams aren't exactly winning.  And who knows,  the Redskins and Colts might suck next year.  Remember the Lions made the playoffs one season, went 4-12 the next.

They need to find talent this season, start building from that.  And continue to do that.  

Drafting Luck isn't why they are smart, the 6 other starters they got out of that draft makes them smart.

THIS IS GOING TO BE A BAD YEAR IF WE ARE LUCKY 8-8  I HOPE FOR MORE BUT THIS TEAM HAS NO TALENT AT QB,WR, OR RB AND IS HURTING FOR A TRUE PASS RUSHER,AND SORRY TO SAY BUT OUR DT POUHA IS NOT THAT GREAT TO GET DOUBLE TEAM OFTEN THAT DOESNOT HELP OUR LB"S

I think I agree. What I don't want to see is Idzik signing the John Abrahams of the world in hopes of squeaking out one or two more wins. If he dips into FA, it has to either be for young guys that will be here for five years, or older, one year rentals who are coming here to fill out a 53. I think Rex has a 6.9% chance of being the Jets coach 365 days from now. I'm not overly interested in making investments in players that the next coach may or may not want or need.

Agreed. Unless they can get Abraham as an older one year rental.

I really hope this isn't the case.   If he really really stinks and the team winds up 1-15 with no heart, then yes, but Idzik needs to have a plan in place and the fact Rex is still around should mean both are on some sort of page together.    I really don't want a situation like the Chargers  with AJ Smith and Marty S.    And they were a 14-2 super bowl contender with a pro bowl QB.    

I'm hoping there is some plan amongst the whole organization, not a one year plan to stink, fire Rex, and then start over with some other coach. Because the reality is if they fire Rex and bring in some strong candidate like say a Bill Cower or Gruden and so on, those guys aren't going to listen to Idzik and just nod.   THey will have their own philosophy, own plan, own agenda.  They might work with Idzik but I'm just confused on having a wasted year.   Or the Jets fire Rex and they wind up hiring some college coach nobody heard of before.

Archived