Should The Jets Just Tank 2013 For Higher 2014 Draft Picks?

kelticwizard

Try For 2013 Or Tank For 2014?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should We Try For This Year Or Tank It For Next Year?

• Try For 2013
    • Tank It For 2014 Draft.

Who did they replace them with though?

Leon Washington was replaced by Joe McKnight. 

Brad Smith was replaced by Chaz Schillins and later Tebow

Fanaca was replaced by Matt Slausen and Ducasse.

Thomas Jones and his 1400 yards was replaced by an over the hill LT who was replaced by Shonn Greene and Bilal Powell.

How about not replacing Thomas, Scott and Pace untill they were WAY over the hill?

How about trotting Eric Smith out there to get burned game after game?

Those are all substantial downgrades!

Joe McKnight led the league in kick return yards and TD's.

Kerley was playing the wild cat and doing it well...plus he's a much better receiver.

Slauson replaced Faneca and the Jets fell from #1 rushing offense to #2. 

Are we really discussing replacing Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace?

Best pass D in the league under Rex, Landry, Bell and bunch of draft picks.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thomas Jones and his 1400 yards was replaced by an over the hill LT who was replaced by Shonn Greene and Bilal Powell.

How about not replacing Thomas, Scott and Pace untill they were WAY over the hill?

Leon Washington was replaced by Brad Smith who was replaced by Jeremy Kerley.

Slauson's done a decent job replacing Faneca at a fraction of the cost. Those are the kind of OL moves I personally like.

Thomas Jones was an over the hill RB replaced by another one. Shonn Greene really isn't much of a downgrade from Jones. Not at all. RB remains a problem today, I'm hoping its less of a problem by the time the Jets draft in the third round.

The big problem with Thomas, Scott, and Pace were their contracts, making them impossible to replace.

Eric Smith? Jets brought in two new safeties to start and drafted two more last year. How much more are they supposed to do at the position in one year?

Anyway, these barely add up to anything substantial. The roster sucked when Rex got here, especially on offense.

Even if it was the same, that hardly supports the notion of a roster gutted.

Time gutted the roster. It was never re-stocked due to all the trading up and using free agency band-aids all over the roster. Tannenrex knew (you'd hope) that attrition would set in, and here we are.

You can read Slats post for a reasoned response, but more importantly to my point:

What the **** does this have to do with what Ryan was supposed to be doing?  Ryan chose the best of what he was given. What draft picks are you blaming on him? WIlkerson, Coples and Connor?  You can do that, but the GM shouldn't be letting the coach run the draft anyway.  I will repeat: The GM is supposed to provide the players.  You can blame the coach for his input, the cuts or who he chooses to play, but I don't see any great failing in those departments.  The failure was in talent acquisition.  That seems to fall squarely on the GM.  I don't think it was quite as bleak as you, Shane and others, but even conceding that, I don't see how you pin all that on Ryan. 

Time gutted the roster. It was never re-stocked due to all the trading up and using free agency band-aids all over the roster. Tannenrex knew (you'd hope) that attrition would set in, and here we are.

They tried to hold the window open too long, foolishly banking on Sanchez in the process. It didn't work. Outside of the Sanchez extension, I can't fault them too much coming off of two AFC Championship appearances.

Tannenbaum -and hopefully his ways- are gone now. So far, it's Rex that got the most out of the Bradway/Tanny method of trading up and overpaying -by far- and that was with Mark Sanchez at QB. I don't feel the need to lump him in with those guys. Hopefully Idzik is the sh*t. He's not the personnel guy I wanted, but he might be the boss that the franchise (read: Rex) needs.

You can read Slats post for a reasoned response, but more importantly to my point:

What the **** does this have to do with what Ryan was supposed to be doing?  Ryan chose the best of what he was given. What draft picks are you blaming on him? WIlkerson, Coples and Connor?  You can do that, but the GM shouldn't be letting the coach run the draft anyway.  I will repeat: The GM is supposed to provide the players.  You can blame the coach for his input, the cuts or who he chooses to play, but I don't see any great failing in those departments.  The failure was in talent acquisition.  That seems to fall squarely on the GM.  I don't think it was quite as bleak as you, Shane and others, but even conceding that, I don't see how you pin all that on Ryan. 

My favorite part of the Tanny vs. Rex acquiring talent argument is the whole "trading picks away" portion.  Like Tanny didnt have a passion for trading them away prior to Rex.

I think its pretty damn clear that Tanny was running everything and he'd just get a feel for if Rex liked said player (which being an eternal optimist...he probably said yes every time).  

They tried to hold the window open too long, foolishly banking on Sanchez in the process. It didn't work. Outside of the Sanchez extension, I can't fault them too much coming off of two AFC Championship appearances.

Tannenbaum -and hopefully his ways- are gone now. So far, it's Rex that got the most out of the Bradway/Tanny method of trading up and overpaying -by far- and that was with Mark Sanchez at QB. I don't feel the need to lump him in with those guys. Hopefully Idzik is the sh*t. He's not the personnel guy I wanted, but he might be the boss that the franchise (read: Rex) needs.

I just don't know if saying that Sanchez pulled the rug out from underneath them is sufficient. Rex has also fostered a me-first "swaggerlicious" attitude and, as such, the roster has more Santonio Holmeses on it than Jerricho Cotcherys. That's all Rex. It's impossible to separate him from the roster from the record, and I don't see how it's worthwhile to try and peel the onion to discover exactly how much influence Rex had or hadn't*. In a failed regime, all the generals lose their heads

*Though, given the different makeups of the rosters from Mangini's Era and Rex's, it's fair to say it's significant. You didn't hear much chatter about "character" after Mangini left.

I just don't know if saying that Sanchez pulled the rug out from underneath them is sufficient. Rex has also fostered a me-first "swaggerlicious" attitude and, as such, the roster has more Santonio Holmeses on it than Jerricho Cotcherys. That's all Rex. It's impossible to separate him from the roster from the record, and I don't see how it's worthwhile to try and peel the onion to discover exactly how much influence Rex had or hadn't*. In a failed regime, all the generals lose their heads

It's entirely worthwhile for the organization. Unlike the three head coaches before him, Rex actually has some talent. If the organization sees that, and figures out how to harness it, then that's a good thing, IMHO.

Too much talking is probably a fault of his, and he's already toned that down. He has been overconfident in the past about being able to coach anyone, and has probably learned a little something about that on the job. But these are easily correctable items with the right boss in charge, and there's no doubt that Rex needs the right boss. Best case scenario for the Jets is that Idzik is that guy. Unlike Herm, Mangini, Sanchez, and Tannenbaum, Rex will leave here and go on to have success in this league.

It's entirely worthwhile for the organization. Unlike the three head coaches before him, Rex actually has some talent. If the organization sees that, and figures out how to harness it, then that's a good thing, IMHO.

Too much talking is probably a fault of his, and he's already toned that down. He has been overconfident in the past about being able to coach anyone, and has probably learned a little something about that on the job. But these are easily correctable items with the right boss in charge, and there's no doubt that Rex needs the right boss. Best case scenario for the Jets is that Idzik is that guy. Unlike Herm, Mangini, Sanchez, and Tannenbaum, Rex will leave here and go on to have success in this league.

Rex's great talent is in scheming against opposing offenses and shutting them down, and even that has yielded diminishing returns. He has no other talent. I'm just not sure where y'all are seeing this wellspring of untapped potential in Rex to become the leader of a team over a long period of time. His handling of Sanchez the last two years shows he has no sense of accountability. Letting Holmes steamroll the team shows he has--as he admitted--no ability to control a locker room. He's a good-time, front-running player's coach who gets by on popularity, whose players like him because he never carries out any sort of discipline. This is not a leader of men. This is Blutarsky.

As for Idzik, he seems like a buttoned-down details guy who would much prefer a Tom Coughlin-style presence here as opposed to a clown prince running through the hallways giving wedgies.

GO ON RECORD!!!!!!!!

IT DEPENDS!!!!! Firing coaches should go beyond "zomg losing recordz = team quit = no chance just no chance, no chance in heck." As appealing as Hot Coordinator sounds, you would turn your back on that guy in a second, gladly, and then it's right back to hiring the next latest and greatest.

Archived