Jets 2013 Mock Draft and Analysis

JetNation

The New York Jets have an immense amount of needs to address on Draft Day.  The following is an analysis of these needs and potential prospects to fill them:

Defensively:  They have to replace two outside linebackers, corner and likely a safety, not to mention add a pass rusher off the edge to help solidify a young talented defensive line.

Offensively:  Besides a quarterback the Jets are in need of an all around running back that can rush between the tackles, be able to make moves in space and be a great receiver in the passing game.  They need another playmaker at the wide receiver position because they just don’t know what Santonio Holmes will look like coming off an injury.  This year’s draft crop of WRs is very deep, so a great playmaker should be available in rounds two or three.  The Jets are also in desperate need of offensive lineman, especially guards.

General Manager John Idzik will have to decide if the team drafts a quarterback prospect this year since Mark Sanchez might be cut after 2013, Tim Tebow is probably traded or released soon and Greg McElroy’s future isn’t set.  Training camp competition in 2014 between a second year QB and a rookie QB from the 2014 draft could only help instill new GM Idzik’s competition philosophy, so getting a young signal caller in the 2013 draft makes sense.

The following list of players was comprised as a strictly “fit the needs” list.  It is not to say that the Jets will take these particular players or if they will even be available for them when it’s their turn to pick.  However, it is based on need and includes a primary along with an alternative prospect.  Some picks may seem like a reach, but in order to guarantee they fill holes, gain depth and create competition as Idzik has said time and time again, they must have a similar philosophy in April.

Jets Draft Rounds:

1.  DE – Ezekiel “Ziggy” Ansah, BYU / G – Chance Warmack, Alabama

Ansah is a raw yet talented DE from BYU.  He is athletic, has very long arms and hasn’t even cracked his full potential.  Fans may ask, “Why pick a guy who’s saw raw rather than a DE like Jarvis Jones or OLB Barkevious “KeKe” Mingo who has SEC experience?”  The reason: Carl Dunbar.  Dunbar is one of the best defensive line coaches in the entire NFL.  In one season with the Jets look what Dunbar made Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples into.  There’s no doubt that Dunbar can do the same for Ansah.  Everyone talks about how to stop this new pistol formation, what better way than having a DE who can play the zone read option and be athletic enough to adjust and get to the quarterback on play action?  To me Ansah, if still available, is a guy the Jets have to consider.

If Ansah is off the board, and Chance Warmack is still there, I’d look to take Warmack at #9.  A lot of scouts and draft experts say to never draft an OG in the early first round.  Warmack is a once in a decade guard who can be a staple at the position for the next 10-15 years for the Jets.  With Matt Slauson and Brandon Moore set to test the open market, the Jets are in dire need of a guard.  Moore will likely be too expensive for the Jets to keep.  Although it’s not necessarily the “sexy” first round pick, imagine a line of D’Brickashaw Ferguson, Chance Warmack and Nick Mangold solidifying that line for years to come.

2. TE – Zach Ertz, Stanford / WR – Robert Woods, USC

Ertz is the most well rounded TE in the draft.  He’s an excellent blocker in the run game, has tremendous hands in the passing game and the able to create separation while making tough catches in tight spaces.  The Jets cannot rely on Hayden Smith and Jeff Cumberland to be their future tight ends and in a TE-heavy draft the Jets need to explore Ertz as a replacement/upgrade from Dustin Keller.

WR Robert Woods could easily be a 2nd round steal this year.  Some would say that the 39th overall pick is a bit of a stretch for Woods, but question marks surrounding Santonio Holmes health and future with the team, Woods can be a very explosive #2 receiver in the future.  He was overshadowed by the freakish athleticism and success of Marquice Lee at USC, but Woods is no slouch.  Woods was a Biletnikoff finalist last year catching 112 passes for nearly 1,300 yards and 15 touchdowns.  There are some concerns with his health, but his production and upside far outweigh that risk.  Another big selling point is Woods has a hand length of 9¼.  For a 6’1” wide receiver that’s something to look at.  Not quite Hakeem Nicks 10½” hands, but measured as one of the biggest in the combine.

3. TE – Travis Kelce, Cincinnati / RB – Le’Veon Bell, Michigan State

If Ertz is taken before the Jets pick or if they pass on Ertz, the next best TE option is Travis Kelce.  Kelce is another big tough physical tight end with underrated pass catching abilities.  Watching film on both he and San Diego State’s TE Gavin Escobar I see a lot of similarities.  Although Escobar may be a better athlete than Kelce, Kelce is a more solid route runner and can make tough catches in traffic a little better than Escobar.  Jets fans wouldn’t be upset if they took Escobar over Kelce, but it’s a win-win for the Jets to get either guy.  Kelce had some off the field issues in 2010, but his size and strength could make him a solid TE in the Jets new offensive system.

Le’Veon Bell is another mid round steal if the Jets could land him.  At 6’1” 230 pounds, he’s a big running back with sneaky quickness, excellent vision and tremendous pass catching ability.  With Mornhinweg’s new offensive philosophy the Jets will need a guy who can turn the corner on the outside in the run game, and also catch passes and get separation from slower linebackers covering.  Bell could be all that and more.  With Shonn Greene gone, the Jets need to pick a RB in this draft and if Bell’s available the Jets would be wise to select him.

4. S – T.J. McDonald, USC / OG – David Quessenberry, San Jose State University

McDonald may be high on the Jets safety board because his father, Tim McDonald, is the Jets secondary coach now.  McDonald is big, strong and known as an “in-the-box” safety.  With LaRon Landry most likely leaving, the Jets need an aggressive run stopping safety and McDonald could be the guy.  The Jets have second-year players Antonio Allen and ball hawk safety Josh Bush but McDonald could add depth and see significant time right away.

Quessenberry had a terrific week at the Senior Bowl.  People were very high on his performance.  After the combine that stock dropped a bit, but there’s no doubt, watching his footwork and pass protection in drills at Senior Bowl, that he can play guard in the NFL.  If the Jets choose to go with a defensive player in the first round, Quessenberry may fall into their lap with their 103rd overall pick.

5. RB – Christine Michael, Texas A&M / QB – Tyler Bray, Tennessee

If the Jets do not land Le’Veon Bell or if they want to ensure that they have three running backs in camp, they may choose Christine Michael as well (Bilal Powell, Bell, Michael).  Michael’s accomplishments were overshadowed by the incredible season Johnny Manziel had running the ball for the Aggies.  Michael is a strong powerful runner that can hit the hole hard between the tackles and can make a quick explosive cuts.  On top of being a back that can play all three downs he could be the extremely reliable goal line RB the Jets never seem to have.

Tyler Bray is an interesting prospect.  He has a huge frame (6’6” 232 lbs) and a big arm.  He needs a tremendous amount of improvement to his footwork, speed and decision making, but he may be worth taking a shot at in the 5th round if he’s still available.  The Jets need to take a risk on a quarterback if their board suggests it at this point.  They need competition in camp not only this year but for next.  Looking towards 2014, the Jets will not have a QB under contract (if they get rid of Sanchez after 2013) so they need young QB competition.  Granted Bray has a torn labrum he obtained during the Senior Bowl but he has the potential to be a successful passer in the NFL.

6. WR – Aaron Dobson, Marshall / OLB – Trevardo Williams, UConn

Dobson had a great career at Marshall.  If the Jets want to stockpile wide outs in a wide receiver heavy draft, Dobson could be a steal in the 6th round.  Dobson, like Robert Woods took a backseat this year to a young stud WR in Tommy Shuler.  He had 57 receptions for almost 700 yards.  In 2011, he scored 12 touchdowns, so he has a nose for the end zone.  He could help the Jets as a 4th WR in case of injury or if Stephen Hill doesn’t improve.  He’s a big play receiver after he catches the ball, which the Jets are going to need in the future.

Trevardo Williams has had a great deal of success as a pass rusher in his career at UConn.  He is slightly undersized but plays with leverage and is very strong.  He could be a great pick-up for the Jets in the 6th round in a position they so desperately need to rebuild.  He has a relentless motor, tracking down plays on the backside often.  He is a pure speed rusher, that didn’t have to drop into coverage often in college so it’s hard to say if he’ll be well rounded.  In the 6th round, he’s worth the risk.

7. OT – Braden Brown, BYU / RB – Montel Harris, Temple

The 7th round is a tough round.  In a generally weak draft, it’s not evident that players in this round have a significant role in the NFL in their career.  Then again, who knows what these players can become.  Braden Brown could be a great selection in the 7th round.  The Jets tried to take an OL Robert Griffin (the other RG in last year’s draft) and he never made the squad.  Brown is a much different prospect.  His footwork needs some improvement, but he is a hard working high motor kid who’s humble and wants to make himself better.  The Jets need OT depth in case of injury to Ferguson or if Howard plays poorly (Austin Howard gave up more sacks last season than Wayne Hunter did in 2011).

The Jets, in the past few years, have seemed to like taking guys from local colleges.  Harris had a very successful 2012 campaign for the Owls.  He’s very undersized and doesn’t have elite speed, but he can be a change of pace back if the Jets don’t get their top RB choices earlier in the draft.

These choices may seem like a reach at points, but remember…this list was put together to fit the needs of the team.  The draft will not be able to solve all of the Jets issues, but the choices in this article would definitely help.  There are so many different ways the Jets can go in this draft, but if they chose to pick in this order, I don’t think many fans would complain.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets aren't in position to gamble on the latest workout warrior with no production. If you're the Giants, and you're coming off of a Super Bowl, then you can take a flyer on JPP. But if your roster is as destitute as the Jets' is, you have to find a better option, particularly with Idzik's first ever draft pick.

1st off I am aware that making a mock draft is harder than critiquing one... so good job overall 

but i have 2 rebuttals 

1) Ansah at 9: Karl Dunbar wouldn't be working with Ansah to learn how to be Mo Wilkerson. He'd be working with the linebackers coach *Brian Vangorder, from Auburn, also Jeff Weeks as assistant) to learn how to be Demarcus Ware. And considering how raw he is... this player could be multiple years away from contributing at all... think Vlad but at OLB. And there's a good chance he's gone... cause teams like Detroit are drooling. 

2) Chance at 9. If the reasoning that Moore is too expensive to keep, drafting this guy at 9 won't be any cheaper. let's say Moore gets about 3/4 mil per year, that's what the 9 pick will make, whatever position they pick. 

Under new CBA 9th pick would receive probably 390,000 salary with 1.8 million signing bonus so it wouldnt be as demanding as before new rookie wage scale. Also id rather pay a young guy 2-3million than a guy towards end of career at 3-4. Thanks for kind words. Its def not easy lol! Tom appreciate the response i just think ansah could be a great pass rusher in the league. Guys like jones and jordan scare me, injury concerns and oregon defense respectively. Bottom line is at 9 jets will get a solid player regardless of weakness of class

Under new CBA 9th pick would receive probably 390,000 salary with 1.8 million signing bonus so it wouldnt be as demanding as before new rookie wage scale. Also id rather pay a young guy 2-3million than a guy towards end of career at 3-4. Thanks for kind words. Its def not easy lol! Tom appreciate the response i just think ansah could be a great pass rusher in the league. Guys like jones and jordan scare me, injury concerns and oregon defense respectively. Bottom line is at 9 jets will get a solid player regardless of weakness of class

It's a good looking draft overall, but I'd be afraid of Ansah. He played in a passing conference, on a decent DL, and came up with four sacks. Scary. I realize they might be passing on the next Aldon Smith, but IMO, you can't risk it.

Mike Mayock on DaMontre Moore:

“The book is still wide open,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. “I think there’s more questions than answers on him right now. I think all the teams are looking at him as a potential draft pick are going to have to do some homework.”

Yep. This could be about any player in the draft.

Great pass rushers can't be neutralized like great corners...

Yeah, all you have to do is throw to the part of the field where that CB isn't. PROBLEM SOLVED. No big deal to just cut off a chunk of passing field and one the pass catcher on their roster with one player on defense. That on almost every play in every game isn't nearly as valuable as knocking down the QB once a game with one guy. 

Of the big-four, it seems like everyone came up short on sacks.

Ansah: 4.5 sacks

Mingo: 4.5 sacks

Jordan: 5 sacks

Jones: 3 sacks

With Mingo and Jordan, I've read that the lack of sack production could be tied to the schemes they played in--Mingo lined up strong-side and Jordan blitzed plenty, but played a lot of snaps in coverage as well. Regardless, it's scary with these guys. If they can't get garbage sacks while playing for teams that routinely had big leads, how can we expect them to do anything at the next level?

1. DE – Ezekiel “Ziggy” Ansah, BYU / G – Chance Warmack, Alabama

Though I really like what I see from Ansah I believe Chance Warmack must be the pick out of those two. We've dedicated so much to our defense at the expense of our offense falling apart. We need to begin evening things out and what better place to start than the offensive line? You give your QB a cleaner pocket and your RB's actual running lanes which contributes to the offensive production that the Jets have been needing desperately.

Rd. 1, Chance Warmack

2. TE – Zach Ertz, Stanford / WR – Robert Woods, USC

The 2nd round I would go TE. We see how valuable the TE position is becoming in the NFL and with that said we need a multi-dimensional TE and Dustin Keller isnt the best blocker....by far. Zach can help mask our offensive calls because he can be on the field on both running and passing plays. He's a huge target and he has soft big hands. He has the quickness to separate from LB's and the size and strength to neutralize any safety while being able to make catches in tight spaces. He's a good blocker and a very good route runner however he has short arms for a TE. Given that he's physical and has the talent that could certainly make up for the lack of arm length, however given that TE's are usually given the "jump ball" his arm length may be an issue.

Overall I'd take Zach over Robert Woods not because of Woods but because of Stephen Hill. We drafted him and though he had the year that he had there is still massive potential in that kid and I would work on having the coaches/coordinators get the best out of this kid and drafting a TE that we desparately need rather than passing up on a TE need to get another receiver and dismissing the one we drafted just last year.

Rd. 2, Zach Ertz.

3. TE – Travis Kelce, Cincinnati / RB – Le’Veon Bell, Michigan State

This video says it all, even if I didnt pick Zach in the 2nd rd.

Rd. 3, Le'Veon Bell

4. S – T.J. McDonald, USC / OG – David Quessenberry, San Jose State University

Easy, David Quessenberry via San Jose State. Senior Bowl tape...watch it. Offensive line solidified.

Rd. 4, David Quessenberry

5. RB – Christine Michael, Texas A&M / QB – Tyler Bray, Tennessee

I'd pass on both and take a LB here. What LB you ask? Mr. Jordan Campbell, New Mexico. Former Trojan, former top LB in the country coming out of high school, however, between getting hurt in a game and going to USC in the mist of their scandal he ended up at New Mexico after failing to transfer to I believe Louisville given errors with paperwork. This guy is a find and I'd take a chance here before anyone else in the 5th Rd. Very talented individual who looks to have that type of leadership mentality as well. Check out his tapes online.

Rd. 5, Jordan Campbell.

6. WR – Aaron Dobson, Marshall / OLB – Trevardo Williams, UConn

For Aaron Dobson to be sitting here in the 6th round is an absolute steal. Two handed catches, one handed catches...catches everything really, top speed, good route running, tall, well built, strong and most importantly underrated (sitting in the 6th round???). I came across Aaron Dobson I believe a year ago right here on Jetnation with "The Catch" against ECU. I HIGHLY doubt that this kid will be sitting here in the 6th round, but if he is you take him with absolutely no hesitation.

Rd. 6. Aaron "The Catch" Dobson.

7. OT – Braden Brown, BYU / RB – Montel Harris, Temple

This would have been a tough one if I knew anything on Braden Brown, however given that I dont and I've seen some work from Montel Harris I would have to give it to the RB. I say tough because We already have Powell and McKnight along with the newly drafted Bell and we obviously see that the Oline needs depth. Also, I dont know how well Harris can catch the ball but we can obviously see is that he has no problem running the ball and he seems to be able to make the first man miss. However, my decision is made.

Rd. 7. Montel Harris.

pick up some gems for the oline in UDFA.

The Jets aren't in position to gamble on the latest workout warrior with no production. If you're the Giants, and you're coming off of a Super Bowl, then you can take a flyer on JPP. But if your roster is as destitute as the Jets' is, you have to find a better option, particularly with Idzik's first ever draft pick.

I mostly agree... also, I just read the Jets are making re-signing DeVito a priority. It seems that DE is the area of least need. 

I'm a big fan of drafting best player available, but at this point we need a plug-and-play rookie out of the #9 pick, and a project for the d-line doesn't align with that need.

We can and should draft just about any other position there, except QB and RB, there's no value in those positions that early. So no QB, RB or DE and I'm content. 

I mostly agree... also, I just read the Jets are making re-signing DeVito a priority. It seems that DE is the area of least need.

I'm a big fan of drafting best player available, but at this point we need a plug-and-play rookie out of the #9 pick, and a project for the d-line doesn't align with that need.

We can and should draft just about any other position there, except QB and RB, there's no value in those positions that early. So no QB, RB or DE and I'm content.

I find myself oddly and inexplicably confident in Idzik right now. He doesn't strike me as a guy who will deviate from a plan in the interest of making a splash or placating a coach. Unlike Tannenbaum, he hasn't overreacted to media criticism, he hasn't run to counter Revis' agents, and he hasn't tried to renegotiate a bunch of contracts looking to open up cap room this year. So far, it looks like he's perfectly willing to build a team as opposed to buying one. I'm gonna assume that the guys he drafts fit into a larger, more prudent plan than we've seen here in a while.

I find myself oddly and inexplicably confident in Idzik right now. He doesn't strike me as a guy who will deviate from a plan in the interest of making a splash or placating a coach. Unlike Tannenbaum, he hasn't overreacted to media criticism, he hasn't run to counter Revis' agents, and he hasn't tried to renegotiate a bunch of contracts looking to open up cap room this year. So far, it looks like he's perfectly willing to build a team as opposed to buy one. I'm gonna assume that the guys he drafts fit into a larger, more prudent plan.

He hasn't DONE anything yet though... We'll find out about him in time though. 

Also, the Jets can't take Ansah... The guy has played football for all of two years as important as this draft is going to be for they Jets the can't take the gamble..They HAVE to get 4-5 starters out of this draft if the rebuilding plan is going to work.  

Of the big-four, it seems like everyone came up short on sacks. 

Ansah: 4.5 sacks

Mingo: 4.5 sacks

Jordan: 5 sacks

Jones: 3 sacks

what are these stats? Jarvis Jones led the nation in sacks this year. 14 in 2012 and 26 in 3 years at UGA. 

another sorta nit pick is that making a team-only mock frequently results in your team getting players in unrealistic positions. Only by going pick by pick does the board even come close to accurate. For example 

NFL Network's Mike Mayock believes it is unlikely that Texas A&M RB Christine Michael makes it out of the second-round.

I find myself oddly and inexplicably confident in Idzik right now. He doesn't strike me as a guy who will deviate from a plan in the interest of making a splash or placating a coach. Unlike Tannenbaum, he hasn't overreacted to media criticism, he hasn't run to counter Revis' agents, and he hasn't tried to renegotiate a bunch of contracts looking to open up cap room this year. So far, it looks like he's perfectly willing to build a team as opposed to buying one. I'm gonna assume that the guys he drafts fit into a larger, more prudent plan than we've seen here in a while.

Basically, Isdick is handling his business like a businessman. All the things you said are true, and I'm happy to see it, but I'd sum it up more simply ... he's doing his job without the daily effort to react to or get reaction from the fanbase.

Tanny, and this whole franchise, have spent the last 7-10 years allowing their decisions to be dictated by the fan reaction, and with an agenda to not win it all, but win over fans, as being good enough.

Championship teams don't do business on the back page, or in the "twittersphere", they don't react to the fans, they dictate to the fans that this is how it's going to be. Now sit back and enjoy the ride.

He hasn't DONE anything yet though... We'll find out about him in time though. 

Also, the Jets can't take Ansah... The guy has played football for all of two years as important as this draft is going to be for they Jets the can't take the gamble..They HAVE to get 4-5 starters out of this draft if the rebuilding plan is going to work.  

I think the fact that he hasn't DONE anything yet is part of what tomshane is getting at... an over-reactor would have tried to make a splash already to satiate the fanbase full of idiots. The fact that Isdick isn't making franchise-impacting decisions to "give us something to instill hope" is good. That's the sort of weak-sauce sh*t I'd expect a suit like Woody to order up right now.

agree. Hey we got a fellow IBMer in there now.

He had good training ;)

Basically, Isdick is handling his business like a businessman. All the things you said are true, and I'm happy to see it, but I'd sum it up more simply ... he's doing his job without the daily effort to react to or get reaction from the fanbase.

Tanny, and this whole franchise, have spent the last 7-10 years allowing their decisions to be dictated by the fan reaction, and with an agenda to not win it all, but win over fans, as being good enough.

Championship teams don't do business on the back page, or in the "twittersphere", they don't react to the fans, they dictate to the fans that this is how it's going to be. Now sit back and enjoy the ride.

It's more than that, though. Idzik is placating the fans, true, but he doesn't seem particularly worried about massaging Rex's nuts, either. His first move was to whack Bart Scott, who was Rex's boo, and it seems imminent that he's going to trade Revis out from under him, too. Unless he turns around and gives Jarrett Johnson a billion dollars, it'd seem that Idzik is showing Rex who's boss right now, which is how it should be.

I think the fact that he hasn't DONE anything yet is part of what tomshane is getting at... an over-reactor would have tried to make a splash already to satiate the fanbase full of idiots. The fact that Isdick isn't making franchise-impacting decisions to "give us something to instill hope" is good. That's the sort of weak-sauce shit I'd expect a suit like Woody to order up right now.

This is a really good point.  Everyone is tired of having the Daniel Synder moves.  Hell even Daniel Synder is tired of that stuff.

Long term vision would be a refreshing change.

This is a really good point. Everyone is tired of having the Daniel Synder moves. Hell even Daniel Synder is tired of that stuff.

Long term vision would be a refreshing change.

Thanks, Phil. That Daniel Snyder reference was a good one. That owner over-reached big time.

It's more than that, though. Idzik is placating the fans, true, but he doesn't seem particularly worried about massaging Rex's nuts, either. His first move was to whack Bart Scott, who was Rex's boo, and it seems imminent that he's going to trade Revis out from under him, too. Unless he turns around and gives Jarrett Johnson a billion dollars, it'd seem that Idzik is showing Rex who's boss right now, which is how it should be.

There's nothing about this we disagree about, I was just simplifying, but I'm 100% with you, trust me.

A reactive GM looking to be popular within this dunce fanbase would sell Revis for the happily accepted price (some second round pick this year that we should be GRATEFUL for). From there he could sell to the fanbase, eagerly awaiting yet another "wait it out" pitch, that we now has a Future to look forward to if we just give him a few years. Maybe he even gifts us a few more clichés to fap to like herping the Culture and derping the Locker Room.

Archived