Cimini: Jets Hoping to Re-Sign Devito

flgreen

Jets hoping to re-sign DeVito

March, 9, 2013
Mar 9

4:18

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

As expected, the Jets are trying to re-sign DT Mike DeVito before he hits the open market Tuesday, according to sources.

Of all the Jets' unrestricted free agents, DeVito probably is the best bet to stick around, although he's drawing interest from a handful of teams. It's an interesting turn of events for DeVito, whose future became uncertain last year when the Jets drafted Quinton Coples in the first round. The Jets leveraged DeVito into taking a pay cut, and now they're poised to give him a pay raise. It's a credit to DeVito, who responded with a strong season. It also may speak to the team's concerns about their other interior linemen. Sione Po'uha is 34 with a bad back, and Kenrick Ellis has been slow to develop.

The Jets also would like to re-sign S LaRon Landry, but that's a long shot. Landry is looking for about $6 million per year, probably too rich for the Jets. Falcons S William Moore signed a five-year deal Saturday, receiving an average of $6 million per year over the first three. That could set the market.

Otherwise, it has been quiet on the free-agency front. The league, concerned about tampering, has issued multiple memos to the teams, warning them against breaking the rules during this new, three-day negotiating period.

What really gets me is we pay David Harris a slow as sh@t two down ILB 13 million!

That's 13 Million this year, and we are saying we can never pay Revis. That dumb sh@t Tanny. At this point Harris or Holmes arnt worth a bag of balls.

What really gets me is how seemingly every damn Jet fan wanted Harris on a long term extension and now they're all pissed about it.

What really gets me is how seemingly every damn Jet fan wanted Harris on a long term extension and now they're all pissed about it.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

And then how thrilled they were when Tannenbaum "got 'er done!"  Funny how much better the deal (4 years $36M) seemed in year 1 when Tannenbaum only had $4M of it count against that year's cap.  Of course we didn't need to worry about anything because supporters of this deal were convinced the cap would be up to $140M by now.  

Oops.

All I remember was being furious at this deal's outright stupidity.  Harris was never the type of player deserving of a deal like this.  I still say his best season was as a rookie after Vilma got injured and we saw how badly overrated his ass was as well. 

August 2, 2011 thread:

Ding! Ding! Ding!

And then how thrilled they were when Tannenbaum "got 'er done!" Funny how much better the deal (4 years $36M) seemed in year 1 when Tannenbaum only had $4M of it count against that year's cap. Of course we didn't need to worry about anything because supporters of this deal were convinced the cap would be up to $140M by now.

Oops.

All I remember was being furious at this deal's outright stupidity. Harris was never the type of player deserving of a deal like this. I still say his best season was as a rookie after Vilma got injured and we saw how badly overrated his ass was as well.

August 2, 2011 thread:

JiF and Bitonti in that thread. Ouch.

aaah the good old days

funny how I don't remember a single post in that thread, lol

so I guess they did mortgage the future for a small window with a rookie QB

oy

Hey I still have to cringe at writing loving things about Tannenbaum.  In my defense, this thread was barely 6 months after we went to our 2nd AFCCG in as many years.  But I hated hated hated this deal.  Actually, seeing the flattery I wrote about Tannenbaum only magnifies it since I clearly didn't have an ax to grind with Trader Mike. If I hated him at that time I can only imagine the things I'd have written about the Harris deal.

I take solace in knowing I was right and almost everyone else was wrong.  Have to hold my nose at how horribly aligned I was with Aten's dead-on opinions in that thread.  I was wrong about another mega-type acquisition that never happened.  It was the only way to rationalize the terrible structure (only counting $4M of it in year 1) of a deal that would have still been terrible if it was evenly-spread.  So there was literally no reason to structure the deal that way.

Awful, awful, awful.  This was August 2, 2011.  Little did I know then that Tannenbaum would outdo this deal after that '11 season was over by extending/guaranteeing Sanchez after his lousy 2011 season.

Hey I still have to cringe at writing loving things about Tannenbaum. In my defense, this thread was barely 6 months after we went to our 2nd AFCCG in as many years. But I hated hated hated this deal. Actually, seeing the flattery I wrote about Tannenbaum only magnifies it since I clearly didn't have an ax to grind with Trader Mike. If I hated him at that time I can only imagine the things I'd have written about the Harris deal.

I take solace in knowing I was right and almost everyone else was wrong. Have to hold my nose at how horribly aligned I was with Aten's dead-on opinions in that thread. I was wrong about another mega-type acquisition that never happened. It was the only way to rationalize the terrible structure (only counting $4M of it in year 1) of a deal that would have still been terrible if it was evenly-spread. So there was literally no reason to structure the deal that way.

Awful, awful, awful. This was August 2, 2011. Little did I know then that Tannenbaum would outdo this deal after that '11 season was over by extending/guaranteeing Sanchez after his lousy 2011 season.

You and Jason nailed it. You're very smaht.

Aten was wrong one time (about Iman Shumpert being a bum). He was caustic and mean, but pretty much spot on.

Aten was wrong one time (about Iman Shumpert being a bum). He was caustic and mean, but pretty much spot on.

Here's Aten's best line:

"God, I'd hate to be the poor GM who has to come in and clean this mess up after Rex and Tanny get fired."

There's nothing like being right.

What was it Randall said to the woman in the video store in Clerks? Something like there's nothing more exhilarating as pointing out the shortcomings of others.  Forget the line exactly but that is what I'm feeling.  That, and probably needing a new therapist because the present one is doing as good of a job as Mike Tannenbaum did with the David Harris contract. Hiyoooooo!

There's nothing like being right.

What was it Randall said to the woman in the video store in Clerks? Something like there's nothing more exhilarating as pointing out the shortcomings of others. Forget the line exactly but that is what I'm feeling. That, and probably needing a new therapist because the present one is doing as good of a job as Mike Tannenbaum did with the David Harris contract. Hiyoooooo!

Fozzie_new.jpg

I always shudder when someone necros a thread because I'm forced to wonder just how stupid I'm about to look in that thread. It's amazing I avoided ignominy this time.

Also, gotta love it that Idzik is trying to reward a guy that Rex and Tannenbaum tried to bury. Ask not for whom the bell tolls, Rex.

Your flare for spin is approaching average to above average levels.

First Idzik eliminates Rex's bestest friend from the roster in a super shocking super genius super cold hearted type move that no one saw coming from 4 years ago. Now he wants to bring back DeVito, who Rex buried all the way to maybe fourth on the DL in one of the heaviest rotations in the league! DA BELLS TOLLING WRECKS!!

Yuch...

Your flare for spin is approaching average to above average levels.

First Idzik eliminates Rex's bestest friend from the roster in a super shocking super genius super cold hearted type move that no one saw coming from 4 years ago. Now he wants to bring back DeVito, who Rex buried all the way to maybe fourth on the DL in one of the heaviest rotations in the league! DA BELLS TOLLING WRECKS!!

Yuch...

The surest sign a coach is about to get fired is seeing SenorGato close ranks around said coach. It's like having your own stoned canary in a coal mine.

ESPN New York is reporting that the Jets are interested in bringing DT Mike Devito back for 2013. Devito is expected to get a raise as there are a few teams interested in his services.

Of all the Jets’ unrestricted free agents, DeVito probably is the best bet to stick around, although he’s drawing interest from a handful of teams. It’s an interesting turn of events for DeVito, whose future became uncertain last year when the Jets drafted Quinton Coples in the first round. The Jets leveraged DeVito into taking a pay cut, and now they’re poised to give him a pay raise. It’s a credit to DeVito, who responded with a strong season. It also may speak to the team’s concerns about their other interior linemen. Sione Po’uha is 34 with a bad back, and Kenrick Ellis has been slow to develop.

Free agency starts on Tuesday.  For more information and fan reaction, please visit this discussion thread on

The surest sign a coach is about to get fired is seeing SenorGato close ranks around said coach. It's like having your own stoned canary in a coal mine.

No, the surest sign a coach is about to get fired is when that DLman he so hated is maybe being brought back and his best friend on the entire planet is cut for purely malicious reasons. We just did this. You proved it already. The writing is in the whatever the cliche is. The cutting of Scott and possible return of DeVito says everything we need to know about what Idzik thinks of Ryan. We know this because on top of being an elite Message Board GM you are an elite level psychologist, Freud-esque as far as impact in the field, and you managed to crack the weak, non-football mind of Idzik with ease. From there it was just a matter of further Science to infer what you inferred, and here we are. 

Can't wait to see who Hot Coordinator is! It's going to be so different that everyone's going to be like whaaaaaaaat. 

No, the surest sign a coach is about to get fired is when that DLman he so hated is maybe being brought back and his best friend on the entire planet is cut for purely malicious reasons. We just did this. You proved it already. The writing is in the whatever the cliche is. The cutting of Scott and possible return of DeVito says everything we need to know about what Idzik thinks of Ryan. We know this because on top of being an elite Message Board GM you are an elite level psychologist, Freud-esque as far as impact in the field, and you managed to crack the weak, non-football mind of Idzik with ease. From there it was just a matter of further Science to infer what you inferred, and here we are. 

Can't wait to see who Hot Coordinator is! It's going to be so different that everyone's going to be like whaaaaaaaat. 

Liking Idzik already

Wait, are you arguing that the Jets made a bad move by cutting Bart Scott and saving 8.6M against the cap?

Wait, are you arguing that the Jets made a bad move by cutting Bart Scott and saving 8.6M against the cap?

No, I'm arguing that it was an extremely obvious move to make four years ago when the deal was made and that you gals are way too into your soaps. 

Ding! Ding! Ding!

And then how thrilled they were when Tannenbaum "got 'er done!"  Funny how much better the deal (4 years $36M) seemed in year 1 when Tannenbaum only had $4M of it count against that year's cap.  Of course we didn't need to worry about anything because supporters of this deal were convinced the cap would be up to $140M by now.  

Oops.

All I remember was being furious at this deal's outright stupidity.  Harris was never the type of player deserving of a deal like this.  I still say his best season was as a rookie after Vilma got injured and we saw how badly overrated his ass was as well. 

August 2, 2011 thread:

The 2011 off season will go down as the worst off season in recent memory.

Mike Devito is a good guy but this is Justin Bannan all over again. If it were my money I'd pay Landry not Devito. (and trade Cro not Revis). 

If it were my money I would pay it to Revis and everyone else can fall in line. If you feel you're better than Revis (and actually available in the foreseeable future for a premium price) then feel free to announce yourself. 

If it were my money I would pay it to Revis and everyone else can fall in line. If you feel you're better than Revis (and actually available in the foreseeable future for a premium price) then feel free to announce yourself. 

And you'd be setting back the rebuilding years. Welcome to the 2011 Jets. Revis playing like a hall of famer and the Jets still going nowhere because they have no offensive talent at all.

And you'd be setting back the rebuilding years. Welcome to the 2011 Jets. Revis playing like a hall of famer and the Jets still going nowhere because they have no offensive talent at all.

No, I would be eliminating the need for rebuild #34 for the Jets. The rest is hack fan opinion that might as well be template opinion options on JN. While you can work with fan mentality of "zomg no offensive talent at all," the FO actually has to think this through and not just Football Men of llegend like Manish Mehta, Rich Cimini, and Th0masShane. Not even going to take away your right to have the over dramatic, soap opera fan POV you choose to look at the roster with. 

No, I would be eliminating the need for rebuild #34 for the Jets. The rest is hack fan opinion that might as well be template opinion options on JN. While you can work with fan mentality of "zomg no offensive talent at all," the FO actually has to think this through and not just Football Men of llegend like Manish Mehta, Rich Cimini, and Th0masShane. Not even going to take away your right to have the over dramatic, soap opera viewer way you choose to look at your sports team. 

If you think that just putting Revis back on this roster with the 8 other gaping holes and not worrying about rebuilding the overall talent level you're setting up a situation where the 2011 season gets repeated over and over again for the next 5 years. No thanks. The idea that the difference between a good team and a bad team is one CB is just silly.

The 2011 off season will go down as the worst off season in recent memory.

Really?

2012 brought us a guaranteed 1 year deal for Wayne Hunter (after a dismal 2011) + a brand new contract extension for Mark Sanchez after a lousy 2011 + trading a 4th & a 6th for Tim Tebow and a 7th + acquiring Drew Stanton (and dumping him a week later) + relying on a super-raw rookie to start at WR.  And Chaz Schilens.

Back to back off seasons like that.  No wonder we're going to suck this year.

If you think that just putting Revis back on this roster with the 8 other gaping holes and not worrying about rebuilding the overall talent level you're setting up a situation where the 2011 season gets repeated over and over again for the next 5 years. No thanks. The idea that the difference between a good team and a bad team is one CB is just silly.

Only 8? Not 52? Not so bad then. 

That resigning Revis is somehow tied to "not worrying about rebuilding the overall talent level" just goes to show how fuuuuuuucking deluded this board has gotten this pre-offseason. 

The idea that Revis has to be The Immediate Difference to be worth his contract, like many of the cases built against him, is laughable. If the GM is doing his job then Revis is just the elite guy in 2013 for a roster that gets better in 2014 and 2015. This dummy idea that he immediately halts the progress of the franchise is laughably short sighted, MAYBE if I'm being nice it can be called overly cautious. 

Really?

2012 brought us a guaranteed 1 year deal for Wayne Hunter (after a dismal 2011) + a brand new contract extension for Mark Sanchez after a lousy 2011 + trading a 4th & a 6th for Tim Tebow and a 7th + acquiring Drew Stanton (and dumping him a week later) + relying on a super-raw rookie to start at WR.  And Chaz Schilens.

Back to back off seasons like that.  No wonder we're going to suck this year.

You are correct about 2012 off season. As foolish as Tebow trade was, the biggest mistake was extension of Sanchez.

Now 3 contracts are hampering our ability to add talent is the salary cap logjam. Sanchez was one of them. But 2 of them happened in 2011 off season. Didn't we extend Harris and resign a certain cancer called Holmes.

I am not even going to talk of the Derrick Mason, Plax signing.

But added to the two signings was the huge hard on for Aso and how it ended up with us giving Cro a contract he probably won't have got had it not been the time spent on Aso infatuation and ending with a situation where Cro was the best option left in the FA market. Now it may seem like he is well paid right now but if we had signed him to begin with he would have cost us less.

But we got Scotty Mcknight in the draft so i guess that makes 2011 off season worthwhile.

Archived