Jets have "good" offer on table for Revis

Greenseed4

Crude but effective. It's not the other side is above planting stories in the media or anything.

That was more Tannenbaum's M.O.--trying to beat them to the papers, which played into their game. So far, the Idzik Jets have been really quiet for an NFL squad. The Holmes restructure hasn't blown up; the few Revis whinings didn't trigger a response; even cutting Bart Scott was done quietly. Could be that Idzik understands how a news cycle functions.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NY Jets get set to trade Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis in effort to re-build struggling franchise, the Daily News has learned

Sources have told the News for weeks that the Jets have no intention of giving Revis a long-term contract. The best time to trade cornerback will be in the hours leading up the the start of free agency.
Comments (3)
By Manish Mehta / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 8:48 AM

Updated: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 8:48 AM.

Ron Antonelli/New York Daily News

Darrelle Revis appears ready to race out of the Big Apple as NY Jets look to re-build with trade.

The Jets and Darrelle Revis are headed for a divorce.

The Daily News has learned that Gang Green is poised to trade the Pro Bowl cornerback in the coming days at the right price in its first significant step to re-build the franchise.

Sources have told the News for weeks that owner Woody Johnson has no intention of signing Revis to a long-term contract extension.

Although Revis’ health complicates matters – he’s less than five months removed from ACL surgery – the best window to deal him is during free agency, which starts Tuesday at 4 p.m., before the already-select market for Revis dries up.

“I think (the Jets are) going to move Revis,” a source familiar with the situation told the News on Tuesday. “Bet it. If he isn’t traded by tomorrow, (general manager John) Idzik is an idiot. One buyer might dry out. He has to move him. The risk of keeping him kills the franchise for five years and Idzik is gone.”

ProFootballTalk.com reported on Monday night that the Jets had a “good” trade offer on the table for Revis that would satisfy the team’s desire to get sufficient draft pick compensation and the Revis camp’s need to sign a long-term deal. The report also indicated that the Revis camp was unaware of the offer.

The NY Jets have no plans to keep Darrelle Revis and are shopping him around for the right trade.

The News reported last week that there were a couple of “legitimate buyers” willing to trade for Revis when the new league year and trading period officially Tuesday. A source told the News this week that the Jets would like to deal him to an NFC team.

Revis, who is in the final year of a $4-year, $46 million deal struck after a 36-day holdout in 2010, will likely command $12 million-$16 million per season as part of a new long-term contract.

Revis has never asked to be traded, but this much is certain: The Jets aren’t willing to pay him top dollar.

The Jets, who intentionally avoided the Revis camp at the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis two weeks ago, haven’t opened the lines of communication with the cornerback’s representatives to try to negotiate a long-term deal to remain “A Jet for Life.”

Johnson declined to discuss the Revis situation on Monday in an NFL event in New York, telling reporters that he’d address the matter “next week” at the league meetings in Arizona. Revis, of course, may not be on his team at that point.

“Woody Johnson is never paying him,” a source told the News this week.

A Revis trade would rob head coach Rex Ryan (l.) of his best player.

Time, however, isn’t necessarily on the Jets’ side.

The few interested teams that have the desire and resources to trade for Revis will address their cornerback needs during free agency if Idzik isn’t willing to pull the trigger now. The window to trade Revis may close if the Jets wait too long.

But what is adequate compensation for an elite player coming off injury?

The Seahawks were willing to trade the Vikings their first-round pick in this year’s draft (25th overall) for wide receiver Percy Harvin on Monday, but the circumstances were much different. The Vikings took a risk by trading a dynamic player within the conference to another playoff team.

The Revis compensation for the Jets, who are entering a rebuilding phase, will be different. The Jets may not be able to get a first-round pick now… or ever.

It’ll be up to Johnson and Idzik to determine whether the offer(s) on the table are good enough to trade away the face of their franchise now.

They’ve shopped him. They want to move him during free agency.

But will the Jets pull the trigger?

http://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-ready-deal-revis-rebuild-team-article-1.1285899#ixzz2NKmq6QqI

for all the slimeball tactics, don't forget Revis is the best Jet we've seen in that uniform since Willy.

And I wasn't alive for Willy. 

I was. Alive and saw him play at Shea many many times. Different era though. Who knows how Joe would have treated contracts in todays NFL

jets didnt break two contracts by holding out.

Don't care.  The Man will stick it to him every chance it gets.  These contracts aren't guaranteed.  If you outperform your contract you are stuck.  If you underperform you are cut. That is why these guys insist on bonuses and guaranteed money. **** 'em.  It's not like the owners aren't making money.  I feel no mercy towards them.  The only people that get stuck are the fans because we are stuck with this bullsh*t and a salary cap because the owners can't control their own spending and have to collude to maximize profit.

“I think (the Jets are) going to move Revis,” a source familiar with the situation told the News on Tuesday. “Bet it. If he isn’t traded by tomorrow, (general manager John) Idzik is an idiot. One buyer might dry out. He has to move him. The risk of keeping him kills the franchise for five years and Idzik is gone.”

This latest Manish article reads to me like Idzik might be the leak this time around.  Calling himself an "idiot" if he doesn't get Revis traded. Classic deflection move.  Saying, "One buyer will dry up..He has to move him", is just a clever way of saying

HEY, I HAVE A BUYER!!! THEY'RE SERIOUS...WE'RE MOVING FAST...AS IN BY TOMORROW...CALL US. 

Seems pretty obvious that Mehta's sources are Revis's people, who want to shoot their way out of town. On the one hand, it's really depressing to lose a player like this. On the other hand, I'm hoping that Idzik makes the best of his new-found resources. You really have to wonder if, in retrospect, Tannenbaum handled the Revis contract differently (giving him a Larry Fitzgerald deal, for instance), instead of jerking around trying to outsmart everyone, if we could have avoided this moment.

I am shocked(although I shouldnt be) that some of you could actually think that Idzik has doesnt know what Revis wants long term. shocked....Idzik just walks around combines looking at players to draft but has no clue of what his #1 player wants long term?  faaawwwwk, some of you guys are rediculous...

I am so glad that Harvin was traded for that stash of loot.  You guys wonder if revis will come back healthy? The hawks have to worry every week if Harvin will have a migrane and they just gave up a ton to get him.  Revis isnt injury prone imo, yeah he tweaked his hammy and blew out a knew but this is the NFL, who hasnt.  Think the Vikes had leverage?  Harvin wanted out!  Revis has "said" he doesnt want out and wants to remain a jet, which I take with a grain of salt but anywho, he isnt "rattling the saber". 

Great news today.  This year we win the offseason of 2013 trophy to put next to our preseason trophies!!!

Don't care. The Man will stick it to him every chance it gets. These contracts aren't guaranteed. If you outperform your contract you are stuck. If you underperform you are cut. That is why these guys insist on bonuses and guaranteed money. **** 'em. It's not like the owners aren't making money. I feel no mercy towards them. The only people that get stuck are the fans because we are stuck with this bullsh*t and a salary cap because the owners can't control their own spending and have to collude to maximize profit.

Preach, good sir.

John Clayton was on Mike and Mike saying the Jets are resigned to taking a less than fair deal and may get rid of him for as low as a 2nd round pick.

I think that's beyond absurd.  If that's the case then just keep him for the year and get a 3rd if he bolts after next year.  I don't think there's any chance Idzik start his tenure by becoming the guy who traded Revis for a bag of beans. 

Clayton sucks.

John Clayton was on Mike and Mike saying the Jets are resigned to taking a less than fair deal and may get rid of him for as low as a 2nd round pick.

I think that's beyond absurd. If that's the case then just keep him for the year and get a 3rd if he bolts after next year. I don't think there's any chance Idzik start his tenure by becoming the guy who traded Revis for a bag of beans.

Clayton sucks.

I wonder what Clayton thought Percy Harvin would net three days ago. Truth is, these guys don't know until the deal is done. They get their info out of the sh*tstorm posturing that takes place in the midst of every trade negotiation. If Clayton's source was from the Jets side, Clayton would "hear" that Revis will get back two firsts and a Lamborghini.

I think that's beyond absurd.  If that's the case then just keep him for the year and get a 3rd if he bolts after next year.  I don't think there's any chance Idzik start his tenure by becoming the guy who traded Revis for a bag of beans. 

Clayton sucks.

Crazy, right?  The Jets finally draft a HOF player and they are forced to trade him and he's not going to get the value that the Vikings got for Percy Harvin.

lmfao.  I <3 the Jets

I wonder what Clayton thought Percy Harvin would net three days ago. Truth is, these guys don't know until the deal is done. They get their info out of the sh*tstorm posturing that takes place in the midst of every trade negotiation. If Clayton's source was from the Jets side, Clayton would "hear" that Revis will get back two firsts and a Lamborghini.

I understand it's empty rhetoric but the pompous way with which he described the Jets giving a "discount deal" irked me.  I'm not a violent man but if I see John Clayton at a Tim Hortons I'm gonna shove him into the donut display and knock his glasses off. 

Clayton sucks.

if that happens I will be so fvcking pissed.  Getting anything less than what was brought in for harvin is the bar I am setting for my expectations.  If a guy that will be a question mark to play every week fetches more than a guy who can take him out of the game without any help...I will be pissed!!!

I understand it's empty rhetoric but the pompous way with which he described the Jets giving a "discount deal" irked me.  I'm not a violent man but if I see John Clayton at a Tim Hortons I'm gonna shove him into the donut display and knock his glasses off. 

bring scissors and cut his little rat tail off.  Saw him in person and I almost threw up.  Golem looking dood with a rat tail down to his ass, just freaky...

I understand it's empty rhetoric but the pompous way with which he described the Jets giving a "discount deal" irked me. I'm not a violent man but if I see John Clayton at a Tim Hortons I'm gonna shove him into the donut display and knock his glasses off.

I'm putting $50 on Clayton.

Percy Harvin is worth $12M + but the Jets can't move Revis because he wants too much money?  Give me a break.

Feels like some GM's are trying to bully the new kid on the block in Idzik..  Right or wrong the way this mess is resolved will go a long way in how long Idzik will be around.  If he gets taken to the woodshed, Jet fans will haunt him for years....  maybe forever.

Clayton sucks.

This tell us the minimum pick Elways wants to give away for acquiring Revis.

bring scissors and cut his little rat tail off.  Saw him in person and I almost threw up.  Golem looking dood with a rat tail down to his ass, just freaky...

holy sh*t, so that commercial he was in (Slayer) wasn't a joke.  Fuching gross. 

Feels like some GM's are trying to bully the new kid on the block in Idzik..  Right or wrong the way this mess is resolved will go a long way in how long Idzik will be around.  If he gets taken to the woodshed, Jet fans will haunt him for years....  maybe forever.

GM's?  This has all the markings of NY press making sh*t up.  It's nothing new, but we jump on it time and again.  One minute they have "a good offer on the table" the next they will take a two?   The New York media is printing sensationalist bullsh*t?  I'm shocked!

GM's?  This has all the markings of NY press making sh*t up.  It's nothing new, but we jump on it time and again.  One minute they have "a good offer on the table" the next they will take a two?   The New York media is printing sensationalist bullsh*t?  I'm shocked!

Yeah but this was Clayton, not one of the local hacks.  I don't think it's far fetched to think GM's are feeding him this garbage to try and lower the asking price.

GM's? This has all the markings of NY press making sh*t up. It's nothing new, but we jump on it time and again. One minute they have "a good offer on the table" the next they will take a two? The New York media is printing sensationalist bullsh*t? I'm shocked!

SO YOURE SAYING THE MEDIA STOLE SUPER BOWLS FROM LOS YETS?

You really have to wonder if, in retrospect, Tannenbaum handled the Revis contract differently (giving him a Larry Fitzgerald deal, for instance), instead of jerking around trying to outsmart everyone, if we could have avoided this moment.

I don't think we have to wonder about that at all.

if that happens I will be so fvcking pissed.  Getting anything less than what was brought in for harvin is the bar I am setting for my expectations.  If a guy that will be a question mark to play every week fetches more than a guy who can take him out of the game without any help...I will be pissed!!!

While I see your point, Harvin raped Revis the only time they ever played against each other.  Nearly cost the Jets the game actually if not for an awful throw by Favre.

Archived