Per Schefter: Jets cutting Pouha

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something along those lines, sure. The D has a very high ceiling if FA and the draft can go well. The OC, a really good one, just has to do what JN says good OCs do and sprinkle design, plan, and call pixie dust.

I appreciate your optimism. The Jets went 1-6 last season against teams with an 8-8 or better record, losing by an average of 12+ points to those teams. Surreal things will have to happen between now and the start of the season to make one think that we've improved on the 2012 roster. Marty Mornhinweg is such a good OC that Andy Reid left him to die on the street instead of taking him to KC. In sum, I do not share your optimism.

What would have to happen in free agency and the draft for today's roster to become a 9-7 team?

The better question is how does adding Garrard, getting Holmes back, and replacing slow or old LBers with younger, faster, options make the team worse?

If Garrard was on the team last year the they would have been in the playoffs. 

What would have to happen in free agency and the draft for today's roster to become a 9-7 team?

At least one starting caliber DE/LB, quality RB depth, better TE play with more size, a competent safety or two without breaking the bank, some DB and WR depth, and then the holy grail. That's if they trade Revis. HECK, one or two of those might happen internally or for very cheap.

With Revis it's him healthy and all of that stuff to a slightly to significantly lesser degree.

I'm not complaining.  I'm just pragmatic enough to not expect the team to be any good this season but, contrary to popular opinion, would love to be proven wrong.

Well prepare to be pleasantly surprised.

The better question is how does adding Garrard, getting Holmes back, and replacing slow or old LBers with younger, faster, options make the team worse?

If Garrard was on the team last year the they would have been on the playoffs.

The Jets lost games last year by differentials of 17, 34, 21, 21, 30, 10, and 19. How good do you think Garrard is, exactly?

The Jets lost games last year by differentials of 17, 34, 21, 21, 30, 10, and 19. How good do you think Garrard is, exactly?

While I don't expect a ton from the team this year and think there's a long way to go, you can't discount the difference in simply eliminating the vast number of points Sanchez was directly responsible for the opposition scoring before you even get into this crazy, far-out concept of the Jets' offense actually scoring anything.  This team is nowhere close to a real contender, but I also don't think it's impossible to see a half-respectable season in which the Jets are competitive if things break the right way for them.  The 2006 Jets won 10 games and made the playoffs for crying out loud, and I'm not even talking about that much.

I appreciate your optimism. The Jets went 1-6 last season against teams with an 8-8 or better record, losing by an average of 12+ points to those teams. Surreal things will have to happen between now and the start of the season to make one think that we've improved on the 2012 roster. Marty Mornhinweg is such a good OC that Andy Reid left him to die on the street instead of taking him to KC. In sum, I do not share your optimism.

1-6 against 8-8+ teams will happen when your QB play is playing like a top 15 backup. The OC can fix that by designing, planning, and calling in different ways.

Mornhinweg moved two hours up the highway rather than to Kansas City and has a solid track record as an OC that goes beyond his very strong tenure with the Eagles. What does Andy Reid not taking him prove? Reid actually told the Philly Daily News the move did not happen because Reid wanted to call the plays in OC. Mornhinweg's worked with him for almost a decade after working under Reid's peer Mariucci earlier in his NFL career. He has consistently mined out higher completion%s out of the QB, something that would help the Jets' offense out significantly. OCs have the power to impact a foozball match and Mornhinweg has been an impact offensive coordinator.

Probably only lose those games by 10, 21, 13, 7, 14, 3 and 13 with DG back there. The real question this year is are we "Caving for Clowney" or "Terrible for Teddy"

This is not news and it means nothing.  I was shocked that they didn't cut Pouha in the first round of cuts. He was right there with Pace and Scott as guys that had to go to make room. I figured the only reason they didn't do it sooner is that they were trying to restructure him to keep him around.  Nice player, too much coin, looked like crap under our prior DC. 

List of players who were significantly injured last season:

-Revis

-Holmes

-Keller

-Pouha

-Baker

List of players who have been, will be, or threatened to be released:

-Revis

-Holmes

-Keller

-Pouha

-Baker

Baker?  The Jets are going to cut Chris Baker? Nooooooo!!!!! He will go to New England and be a star!  Book it!.

While I don't expect a ton from the team this year and think there's a long way to go, you can't discount the difference in simply eliminating the vast number of points Sanchez was directly responsible for the opposition scoring before you even get into this crazy, far-out concept of the Jets' offense actually scoring anything. This team is nowhere close to a real contender, but I also don't think it's impossible to see a half-respectable season in which the Jets are competitive if things break the right way for them. The 2006 Jets won 10 games and made the playoffs for crying out loud, and I'm not even talking about that much.

I hear you. I think, obviously, we'll know more about what Idzik thinks this team is capable of in the coming weeks. I'll settle for a 2013 season in which the QB doesn't humiliate himself, the team plays hard for 16 games, and the young players are better in Week 17 than they were in Week 1. I have minimal expectations regarding the resultant record, however.

Lots of bad contracts and/or dead cap money, no competent QB, and minimal young talent. 

Yeah, Idzik should definitely be expected to put a championship-caliber team on the field this season.

I know the realities, but no team goes into a season thinking "well guys, this one is a throw-away". They try to win more than they lose. Every team does, no matter what the cap situation, how young players are, or how many pro-bowl talents they have.

"Throw-away seasons" and "rebuilding years" are qualifiers that are the by-product of a cynical fanbase rationalizing the likelihood of a bad year to come. 

Make no mistake though, it's not the team that dubs a season lost - it is the fan base. Good teams ignore their fans, because they don't know sh*t.

I know the realities, but no team goes into a season thinking "well guys, this one is a throw-away". They try to win more than they lose. Every team does, no matter what the cap situation, how young players are, or how many pro-bowl talents they have.

"Throw-away seasons" and "rebuilding years" are qualifiers that are the by-product of a cynical fanbase rationalizing the likelihood of a bad year to come.

Make no mistake though, it's not the team that dubs a season lost - it is the fan base. Good teams ignore their fans, because they don't know sh*t.

We'll just call it a "Try Really Hard Guys!" season, because we're savvy fans.

Something along those lines, sure. The D has a very high ceiling if FA and the draft can go well. The OC, a really good one, just has to do what JN says good OCs do and sprinkle design, plan, and call pixie dust.

Like what the coaches did in Seattle right? Build around a meh QB so he can be the uber facilitator. 

1-6 against 8-8+ teams will happen when your QB play is playing like a top 15 backup. The OC can fix that by designing, planning, and calling in different ways.

Mornhinweg moved two hours up the highway rather than to Kansas City and has a solid track record as an OC that goes beyond his very strong tenure with the Eagles. What does Andy Reid not taking him prove? Reid actually told the Philly Daily News the move did not happen because Reid wanted to call the plays in OC. Mornhinweg's worked with him for almost a decade after working under Reid's peer Mariucci earlier in his NFL career. He has consistently mined out higher completion%s out of the QB, something that would help the Jets' offense out significantly. OCs have the power to impact a foozball match and Mornhinweg has been an impact offensive coordinator.

I agree with your points about Mornhinweg, however, we still need the players to execute. Like you used to say about Sanchez / Schotty... or is that not true anymore?

Like what the coaches did in Seattle right? Build around a meh QB so he can be the uber facilitator.

Pretty much yeah, though I think Russell Wilson is better than meh. You're being unfair there there's that gray between Meh and Special Boy. 49ers and Ravens too. Great defense, strong running game, QB who can execute the playbook and make the necessary plays.

Pretty much yeah, though I think Russell Wilson is better than meh. You're being unfair there. 49ers and Ravens too. Great defense, strong running game, QB who can execute the playbook and make the necessary plays.

LOL, very nice, you little weasel.

Reaction: Po'uha release may affect draft

March, 12, 2013
Mar 12

12:15

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Quick thoughts on the Jets' decision to release longtime NT Sione Po'uha:

1. It stinks. Po'uha is one of the most respected players in the locker room, and the team will dearly miss his leadership. This could have an impact on the young linemen, namely Quinton Coples and Muhammad Wilkerson, who looks up to Po'uha. Clearly, the Jets expect Wilkerson to take on more of a leadership role in his third year, even if Mike DeVito returns.

2. Why did the Jets do this? It came down to the AIS principle that triggers these types of moves: Age. Injury. Salary. Po'uha is 34, coming off a season in which he struggled with a bad back. Plus, he was due to make $4.9 million -- which would have become guaranteed Thursday if he were still on the roster. The move creates $3.8 million in cap room.

3. The Jets can't possibly think Kenrick Ellis is ready to become a full-time player. The former third-round pick has been slow to develop and is simply too raw to anchor the defense. He played only 22 percent of the defensive snaps last season. This tells me the Jets will be in the market for a new nose tackle. The top interior lineman in the draft is Star Lotulelei from Utah (Po'uha's alma mater), who could be available with the ninth overall pick. This becomes a real possibility for the Jets.

4. Without Po'uha, the Jets have to increase their efforts to re-sign DeVito, another strong interior run defender. If they let him hit the open market, he could end up signing with the Bills, reunited with former Jets coordinator Mike Pettine. DeVito and Po'uha are close friends. In essence, the Jets are trying to re-sign DeVito with the money they saved from cutting Po'uha. What a business, huh?

Reaction: Po'uha release may affect draft

March, 12, 2013

Mar 12

12:15

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Quick thoughts on the Jets' decision to release longtime NT Sione Po'uha:

1. It stinks. Po'uha is one of the most respected players in the locker room, and the team will dearly miss his leadership. This could have an impact on the young linemen, namely Quinton Coples and Muhammad Wilkerson, who looks up to Po'uha. Clearly, the Jets expect Wilkerson to take on more of a leadership role in his third year, even if Mike DeVito returns.

2. Why did the Jets do this? It came down to the AIS principle that triggers these types of moves: Age. Injury. Salary. Po'uha is 34, coming off a season in which he struggled with a bad back. Plus, he was due to make $4.9 million -- which would have become guaranteed Thursday if he were still on the roster. The move creates $3.8 million in cap room.

3. The Jets can't possibly think Kenrick Ellis is ready to become a full-time player. The former third-round pick has been slow to develop and is simply too raw to anchor the defense. He played only 22 percent of the defensive snaps last season. This tells me the Jets will be in the market for a new nose tackle. The top interior lineman in the draft is Star Lotulelei from Utah (Po'uha's alma mater), who could be available with the ninth overall pick. This becomes a real possibility for the Jets.

4. Without Po'uha, the Jets have to increase their efforts to re-sign DeVito, another strong interior run defender. If they let him hit the open market, he could end up signing with the Bills, reunited with former Jets coordinator Mike Pettine. DeVito and Po'uha are close friends. In essence, the Jets are trying to re-sign DeVito with the money they saved from cutting Po'uha. What a business, huh?

More veteran leaders jettisoned... next season should be full-tilt lost lockerroom circus.

Rex fired before season ends. 

Rank in order of most Ape hate: JiF, Gato, Holmes, CTM, Shane, Osama bin Laden, Bieber

Not even close.

1. CTM

2. CTM

3. CTM

4. Unicorns

5. Bieber

6. Holmes

7. CTM

8. JIF

9. Tomshane

10. Salads from airport restaurants

Gato doesn't rank, he's more like a punching bag than an actual heavyweight.

Baker?  The Jets are going to cut Chris Baker? Nooooooo!!!!! He will go to New England and be a star!  Book it!.

Hahaa, Chris was actually one of my favorite Jets...Surprised to see his career fizzle out so quickly in NE (and now) Seattle. 

No Dom, I'm referring to Josh Baker, the most unheralded Jets player of all time (behind only James Dearth and Tanner Purdum).  Josh plays TE/FB/H-Back, and has the unique ability to snap the ball to himself, hand it off on a double reverse, and block his own way to the end zone using a hook-and-ladder.  

He's basically the Mauga of the offense.  All heart, and will play his way to the hospital for peanuts.  

Not even close.

1. CTM

2. CTM

3. CTM

4. Unicorns

5. Bieber

6. Holmes

7. CTM

8. JIF

9. Tomshane

10. Salads from airport restaurants

Gato doesn't rank, he's more like a punching bag than an actual heavyweight.

Is it weird that I was touched by your ranking me next to last on that list? <3

Archived