Free Agency News & Rumors

Bleedin Green

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure. Dolphins maybe have a one or two year window. Mike Wallace's contract alone is going to be a monster next season!

I was kidding.  I'm the one that didn't want to overpay Gibson yesterday. 

Hysterical blurb:

Gibson, 25, is the latest mediocre talent to join GM Jeff Ireland's burgeoning "Dream Team," and should be slotted into his ideal role of No. 3 receiver behind Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline. Gibson can move the chains and is a threat in the red zone, but offers nothing after the catch and is prone to mental mistakes. His 108 yards after the catch were an absurd 167th in the NFL last season. With just one 100-yard game in 54 career contests, Gibson won't be a major threat for fantasy value as the fourth or fifth option in Miami's pass game.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5291/brandon-gibson

What do you think of that?  It probably means they are lowballing people and considering the guys they are going for, that is probably a good thing.  These aren't must haves. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.  I read they offered Barnes $2M. 

You're going to get angry, but I think it's another sign that Idzik really doesn't care what the Jets record is in 2013.

You're going to get angry, but I think it's another sign that Idzik really doesn't care what the Jets record is in 2013.

Nothing has happened so far that no one saw coming. The closest to a surprise is letting Pouha go (only because it was done this year and not next) and then letting DeVito go. Even then, amongst his many quotes Ryan has said he knows how to stop the run. DeVitos seemed to happen every year in Baltimore (Bannan, Gregg, Edwards instantly come to mind).

Otherwise FA is going exactly as expected for the most part. I think it's fair to admit that these moves are done with more than 2013 in mind.

Nothing has happened so far that no one saw coming. The closest to a surprise is letting Pouha go (only because it was done this year and not next) and then letting DeVito go. Even then, amongst his many quotes Ryan has said he knows how to stop the run. DeVitos seemed to happen every year in Baltimore (Bannan, Gregg, Edwards instantly come to mind).

Otherwise FA is going exactly as expected for the most part. I think it's fair to admit that these moves are done with more than 2013 in mind.

Look at you, biting your tongue! lol

The roster is depleted. He's not restocking it with anything but low-end rentals and draft picks. Vaya con dios, 2013.

Look at you, biting your tongue! lol

The roster is depleted. He's not restocking it with anything but low-end rentals and draft picks..

Yes, again, as expected. Nobody expected a lavish, starter filled FA and that's not the only way for the Jets to field a competitive roster.

What do you think of that?  It probably means they are lowballing people and considering the guys they are going for, that is probably a good thing.  These aren't must haves. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.  I read they offered Barnes $2M. 

I read that no offer was made to Barnes on rotoworld.

And they should be low-balling people. I'd imagine Izdik has the FA's ranked in tiers, and knows how much he wants to spend per position based on those tiers. If player A is ranked an 85 for instance and won't play for $2m, then move on to the next player you have ranked their.

What Izdik is doing is rounding out the team's depth with low-cost veterans. It makes sense, since we had zero depth last year, and it'll free him up to go BPA in the draft. 

Contrary to what Tomshane is blabbering about, it has nothing to do with "Izdik not caring about win total". Depth is a fundamental necessity in football, and we are watching Izdik stretch what little resources he has to improve our depth.

Sounds like the press is backtracking on the cutting of Tebow, S. Smith is quiet, R. Eisen asking questions and Manish is now saying "Tebow won't be part of the QB competition" but no longer saying "Tebow's gone." How could anyone know anyhow with all the changes the Jets made? They are not going to cut him fellas. He'll either go to the Seahawks or he will be back doing that change of pace and punt protector stuff again.

Patriots agreed to terms with SS Adrian Wilson, formerly of the Cardinals, on a three-year contract.

Wilson was one of the many veterans the Patriots hosted for a Friday visit. After grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 2 safety in 2011, Wilson fell all the way to No. 59 in 2012 while being benched from Arizona's nickel defense midway through the season. 33-year-old Wilson is an in-the-box safety who will likely play early downs before being replaced by some combination of Steve Gregory and Tavon Wilson in passing situations. Wilson will probably be hailed as Bill Belichick's "next Rodney Harrison," but it's highly, highly unlikely he'll have 50 percent of that kind of impact.

I read that no offer was made to Barnes on rotoworld.

And they should be low-balling people. I'd imagine Izdik has the FA's ranked in tiers, and knows how much he wants to spend per position based on those tiers. If player A is ranked an 85 for instance and won't play for $2m, then move on to the next player you have ranked their.

What Izdik is doing is rounding out the team's depth with low-cost veterans. It makes sense, since we had zero depth last year, and it'll free him up to go BPA in the draft.

Contrary to what Tomshane is blabbering about, it has nothing to do with "Izdik not caring about win total". Depth is a fundamental necessity in football, and we are watching Izdik stretch what little resources he has to improve our depth.

You're talking about a team that's losing 8-10 starters and replacing those players with semi-retired castoffs on one-year deals. If Idzik had designs on winning any games in 2013, he'd probably be advised to start paying for starting-quality free agents, even if it means throwing a few more dollars or years at Barnes or Brandon Gibson. That he hasn't done so (outside of Goodson) leads to the increasingly obvious conclusion that he's willing to sacrifice the short-term bump in order to build toward a long-term fix. I like it.

You're talking about a team that's losing 8-10 starters and replacing those players with semi-retired castoffs on one-year deals. If Idzik had designs on winning any games in 2013, he'd probably be advised to start paying for starting-quality free agents, even if it means throwing a few more dollars or years at Barnes or Brandon Gibson. That he hasn't done so (outside of Goodson) leads to the increasingly obvious conclusion that he's willing to sacrifice the short-term bump in order to build toward a long-term fix. I like it.

You seem to be overlooking that these 8-10 starters were the some of the weakest starters on a very bad football team. 

Losing Landry sucks, but his replacement isn't on the team yet. Devito stings a little, but he was depth that can and will be replaced, I have confidence in Rex drafting DL. Pace and Thomas, their replacements are coming - likely one via free agency, the other in the draft. I don't see anything they produced that can't be improved upon with youth. Scott's replacement is already on teh roster. As of right now Revis is a Jet. We let Shonn Green and Keller leave, both never came close to their potential, both replaceable.

Most importantly, we are adding QBs to upgrade Sanchez. We are adding RBs to improve there. 

I dont' see what you are bitching about, you sound like a know-nothing buffoon. This team sucked. Between smart free agency moves to add promising role-players, promoting the youth we have and drafting well we can easily reach equal to better ground next year. 6 wins is a low bar... ESPECIALLY if the QB doesn't single-handedly lose 3-4 games. 

In other words, quit yer bitchin' 

I would add... Idzik is treating the free agency period like the draft, he's going after good value in the 3rd and 4th round with the guys he's signing, given the coast attached to them.

It's a philosophy, he's getting guys that have proven they can do their job, without spending like drunken sailors. I expect his drafting to be equally methodical.

Miami is throwing money around like it's their first time in a strip club. The money they spent on Mike Wallace and Ellerbe is absurd. Hype costs money.

You guys are ****sticks. Did the starters they lost suck? Yes. But they're replacing them with--hold on to your hats--players who are worse than the ones who are leaving. I'm not bitching or complaining. I like it. I like that he's taking the team back to zero and starting over. I like that he's subverting Rex and giving him table scraps to chew on. And what I'll enjoy most this season is when the Jets are 2-9 and you two (and your ilk) are posting about how you knew it was the plan all along to suck and start over in 2014, because you're revisionist hard-ons with convenient short-term memory loss issues.

You guys are ****sticks. Did the starters they lost suck? Yes. But they're replacing them with--hold on to your hats--players who are worse than the ones who are leaving. I'm not bitching or complaining. I like it. I like that he's taking the team back to zero and starting over. I like that he's subverting Rex and giving him table scraps to chew on. And what I'll enjoy most this season is when the Jets are 2-9 and you two (and your ilk) are posting about how you knew it was the plan all along to suck and start over in 2014, because you're revisionist hard-ons with convenient short-term memory loss issues.

You called me ****stick!

*How ****ed up is it that ****stick is censored in the post, but when I quote it I just see ****stick?

Wrong.  What you'll enjoy most about the 2-9 Jets is the fact that they're 2-9.

Delusional much? We only have 15 million in cap space and have to replace Bryan Thomas, Yeremiah Bell, Matt Slauson AND Shonn Greene! CLOSED 'TIL 2028!

You gave up a mil per for Garay, Garrard, and Colon, so you're down to $12 mil. Depending on how Goodson's contract is, you could lose another $2 mil, and if you trade Revis, that's another $2.5 cap hit. Then you need ~$5 mil to sign your draft class. So you have about $3 mil to sign about six starters. Now, is it possible to come up with six starters in the draft? Sure, if you have an historically amazing draft. FINGERS CROSSED BRAH.

The plan will never to be 2-9, if it happens, the team may purposefully nose-dive to make lemonade from lemons. However, the decision to do something like that doesn't happen in March, it usually happens in November when it becomes painfully apparent the team isn't going to over-achieve.

You sound like a dope implying any team would plan to drop a whole season on day one of free agency.

Archived