Titans reached agreement w/Shonn Green

F.Chowds

We will be better for losing him. We probably get a decent comp pick for him. Our running game will also remain at least the same without him by simply spreading his carries out to Powell, McKnight, and likely drafted RB. Shonn Greene was an interesting thumper when he first came in the league, but the explosive runs dried up quickly and his failure to break tackles as a power runner was alarming at best. He was just another guy Rex pimped to try and raise morale. 

Trading Revis sounding REEEEEEEAALLLLL good.

Its been a while since I've said this, but I agree 100% with you. Im huge on Revis, but im a Jet fan first and foremost and we're seriously in need of some talent. Revis will in fact be traded. Wish he would restructure or take a paycut, but thats not happening. 

I agree he sux but there's a lot of spots that need to be filled on this team. The next few months should atleast be interesting.

RB in theory should be one of the easier ones though, especially when you consider Powell looks like a better player than him and is still a Jet. We essentially lost our 1B. That's replaceable via the draft or a 2nd tier free agent.

I would never support giving a mediocre RB his second contract, there's almost no benefit to the team in that deal for that position. Draft RBs always, and if you get yourself an Adrian Peterson, then you pay them, otherwise: churn and burn, on to the next one.

Holy **** is there going to be a lot of holes on this team.

he'll keep Chris Johnson's career revived  if they keep him a few years and jf produces...i mean if they are smart enough to give Greene a 100 carries and give Chris Johnson 200 to 260 ish rushes

RB in theory should be one of the easier ones though, especially when you consider Powell looks like a better player than him and is still a Jet. We essentially lost our 1B. That's replaceable via the draft or a 2nd tier free agent.

I would never support giving a mediocre RB his second contract, there's almost no benefit to the team in that deal for that position. Draft RBs always, and if you get yourself an Adrian Peterson, then you pay them, otherwise: churn and burn, on to the next one.

I agree but it's still another spot that needs to be replaced. As far as Greene goes ****'em. I wouldn't of given him another contract outside of something just over the minimum.

I agree but it's still another spot that needs to be replaced. As far as Greene goes ****'em. I wouldn't of given him another contract outside of something just over the minimum.

I guess what I'm saying is, we have NOTHING at RB... so whether we re-signed Greene or he signed elsewhere we still needed to add a starting RB. So, it's sort of the least relevant loss of the off-season so far.

Losing Devito and Yeremiah hurt more, they were starting caliber players. Greene was just the guy we had no choice but to use.

Somewhere deep in the Jets scouting department there has to be someone accountable for the FACT that they have not drafted a decent running back since Lamont Jordan, and even with him is was a flash in the pan and didn't get used here. It's disgusting how inefficient the Jets scouts have been (regardless of GM) at drafting RB, safety and QB. For some reason we NEVER hit on those positions.

I guess what I'm saying is, we have NOTHING at RB... so whether we re-signed Greene or he signed elsewhere we still needed to add a starting RB. So, it's sort of the least relevant loss of the off-season so far.

Losing Devito and Yeremiah hurt more, they were starting caliber players. Greene was just the guy we had no choice but to use.

Somewhere deep in the Jets scouting department there has to be someone accountable for the FACT that they have not drafted a decent running back since Lamont Jordan, and even with him is was a flash in the pan and didn't get used here. It's disgusting how inefficient the Jets scouts have been (regardless of GM) at drafting RB, safety and QB. For some reason we NEVER hit on those positions.

Yet through all of this the Jets have managed to snag UDFA RBs who looked great, got cut anyway, and ultimately went on to have success with other teams.  Go figure.

I disagree on everything but the QB.  Greene was not a bad draft pick.  He was a "hit".  No he wasn't pro bowl caliber, yes the 1st round grade stuff is a joke, but he was a quality RB - rotation level at least.  Guys like Ware, Ward and Woodhead were worth more than where we got them.  The problem has been the lack of resources spent at the position and thinking they could go with just Greene.  Basically, you are condemning McKnight and Powell. Those guys are still around, but haven't stepped up and IMO those are the kind of guys that got Tannenbaum fired.  

Where have they failed at drafting safeties?  Bush and Allen are too new. You don't expect 6th and 7th rounders to contribute as rookies.  You can complain about Eric Smith, but a rotation level safety that contributes on ST is not poor evaluation.  Lowery was a hit, though played at CB he is a valid safety option.  I know Tannenbaum wasn't the head before '06, but Rhodes and EriK Coleman were major hits for the 5th round.  

IMO, this is exactly where the trading picks strategy hurt.  If you have a bunch of picks you burn a few on DBs and RBs and you hit some.  If you don't  have picks you need surgical precision and Tannenbaum didn't have that. 

I disagree on everything but the QB.  Greene was not a bad draft pick.  He was a "hit".  No he wasn't pro bowl caliber, yes the 1st round grade stuff is a joke, but he was a quality RB - rotation level at least.  Guys like Ware, Ward and Woodhead were worth more than where we got them.  The problem has been the lack of resources spent at the position and thinking they could go with just Greene.  Basically, you are condemning McKnight and Powell. Those guys are still around, but haven't stepped up and IMO those are the kind of guys that got Tannenbaum fired.  

Where have they failed at drafting safeties?  Bush and Allen are too new. You don't expect 6th and 7th rounders to contribute as rookies.  You can complain about Eric Smith, but a rotation level safety that contributes on ST is not poor evaluation.  Lowery was a hit, though played at CB he is a valid safety option.  I know Tannenbaum wasn't the head before '06, but Rhodes and EriK Coleman were major hits for the 5th round.  

IMO, this is exactly where the trading picks strategy hurt.  If you have a bunch of picks you burn a few on DBs and RBs and you hit some.  If you don't  have picks you need surgical precision and Tannenbaum didn't have that. 

Greene just signed in Tennesse to be their back-up. He was our starter last year.

He was not a "hit".

The last decent RB we drafted and used was probably Adrian Murrell. Last good safety we drafted was probably Rhodes.

These are positions that historically the Jets have failed to draft well. RB. QB. Safety. The evidence is in the past decades of rosters dude. I don't need you to agree for it to be a relevant observation.

Greene just signed in Tennesse to be their back-up. He was our starter last year.

He was not a "hit".

The last decent RB we drafted and used was probably Adrian Murrell. Last good safety we drafted was probably Rhodes.

These are positions that historically the Jets have failed to draft well. RB. QB. Safety. The evidence is in the past decades of rosters dude. I don't need you to agree for it to be a relevant observation.

You don't have to agree with me if you want to me wrong.  

Greene is a 3rd round pick that started for 2 years and have 2 1,000 yard seasons.  He just signed 3 for $10M.  That is a hit.  It is not a homerun, but please don't be one of these they are the greatest or the suck posters.  For a 3rd round pick being in the league after 4 years is probably a hit.  I agree they have not done well since Greene, but it's not a decades old problem.  They chose to trade for established backs so didn't bother drafting many until the past 3 years and those guys (McKnight, Powell and Ganaway) have sucked so far. Leon was a good pick.  While I would not exactly classify him as a true RB, if you don't then you can't bitch much about McKnight.

Saftey?  You are ******* kidding.  Name two bad safeties that they drafted?  The last bad safety that they drafted is Andre Maddox.  Yes Smith is not a world beater, but he was a 3rd round pick.  I'd give you a push on him.  The problem isn't that they haven't evaluated safeties well, it's that they haven't picked any.  

PS:  They drafted Richie Anderson the same draft as Murrell and they were both good.  Funny how you want to go back that far despite listing Lamont Jordan as a decent back earlier.

You don't have to agree with me if you want to me wrong.  

Greene is a 3rd round pick that started for 2 years and have 2 1,000 yard seasons.  He just signed 3 for $10M.  That is a hit.  It is not a homerun, but please don't be one of these they are the greatest or the suck posters.  For a 3rd round pick being in the league after 4 years is probably a hit.  I agree they have not done well since Greene, but it's not a decades old problem.  They chose to trade for established backs so didn't bother drafting many until the past 3 years and those guys (McKnight, Powell and Ganaway) have sucked so far. Leon was a good pick.  While I would not exactly classify him as a true RB, if you don't then you can't bitch much about McKnight.

Saftey?  You are ******* kidding.  Name two bad safeties that they drafted?  The last bad safety that they drafted is Andre Maddox.  Yes Smith is not a world beater, but he was a 3rd round pick.  I'd give you a push on him.  The problem isn't that they haven't evaluated safeties well, it's that they haven't picked any.  

PS:  They drafted Richie Anderson the same draft as Murrell and they were both good.  Funny how you want to go back that far despite listing Lamont Jordan as a decent back earlier.

Greene started for 2 years because they had no better option. You feed the only guy you have the ball enough, he'll hit 1000 yards. That isn't a measurement for quality. Greene never did anything to consistently help us win. Outside of the 2 games in Rex's first playoff run. Otherwise, he's been crap.

We have been in a perpetual hunt for a good safety. We went to free agency for most, if not all, of the safeties we've had since Rhodes. That said, you make a good point that they just haven't drafted many either, so that lends to the perception that they can't find good ones on their own.

So add Richie Anderson to the list with Murrell and Lamont Jordon, though he mostly played FB. Jordan barely took snaps for us, so he barely counts as us drafting a good RB for ourselves. Since then? Almost all misses. Curtis Martin and Thomas Jones, both FA, were the best RBs we've had in a long, long time. We suck at drafting that position dude, face it.

I stand by what I said about QB and RB, you make a good point about safety and it's probably not as big a weakness as I perceive it.

Greene started for 2 years because they had no better option. You feed the only guy you have the ball enough, he'll hit 1000 yards. That isn't a measurement for quality. Greene never did anything to consistently help us win. Outside of the 2 games in Rex's first playoff run. Otherwise, he's been crap.

We have been in a perpetual hunt for a good safety. We went to free agency for most, if not all, of the safeties we've had since Rhodes. That said, you make a good point that they just haven't drafted many either, so that lends to the perception that they can't find good ones on their own.

So add Richie Anderson to the list with Murrell and Lamont Jordon, though he mostly played FB. Jordan barely took snaps for us, so he barely counts as us drafting a good RB for ourselves. Since then? Almost all misses. Curtis Martin and Thomas Jones, both FA, were the best RBs we've had in a long, long time. We suck at drafting that position dude, face it.

I stand by what I said about QB and RB, you make a good point about safety and it's probably not as big a weakness as I perceive it.

I probably give them extra points at safety because I think they have been good with DBs in general.  Kyle Wilson notwithstanding.  The move up for Revis when most people had them taking Ross showed some scouting acumen.  Lowery, Drew Coleman and a bunch of UDFAs have been valid contributors.  I think Rex likes to use safeties in the box and that leads to guys with questionable cover skills.

I will agree to disagree on RBs.  The trades for Martin and Jones meant they didn't need to draft guys there.  Greene is basically a Brandon Jacobs level draft pick.  I'm not saying they are picking stud RBs left and right, but that for the most part they are getting round level quality as to what you expect - Leon and McKnight fall in that category.  We will see on Powell, but off the bat the last few years have sucked.

I probably give them extra points at safety because I think they have been good with DBs in general.  Kyle Wilson notwithstanding.  The move up for Revis when most people had them taking Ross showed some scouting acumen.  Lowery, Drew Coleman and a bunch of UDFAs have been valid contributors.  I think Rex likes to use safeties in the box and that leads to guys with questionable cover skills.

I will agree to disagree on RBs.  The trades for Martin and Jones meant they didn't need to draft guys there.  Greene is basically a Brandon Jacobs level draft pick.  I'm not saying they are picking stud RBs left and right, but that for the most part they are getting round level quality as to what you expect - Leon and McKnight fall in that category.  We will see on Powell, but off the bat the last few years have sucked.

Yeah, to sum it up.... my point was I have a lower level of confidence in their ability to draft those positions vs. many others where they have more hits / homeruns.

I hope Powell emerges as a stud, that'd be huge for our offense.

Archived