Is this all a prelude to tanking it for Clowney?

Bugg

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

honestly Im not as high on Clowney as everyone else. Watch that Michigan game again, Taylor Lewan took care of him all day long. Clowney is a very good player but he's not worth tanking a season for...  all the stuff people say about Revis, how he can't win a SB by himself, that goes for Clowney too. a defensive stud doesn't save the Jets. 

honestly Im not as high on Clowney as everyone else. Watch that Michigan game again, Taylor Lewan took care of him all day long. Clowney is a very good player but he's not worth tanking a season for... all the stuff people say about Revis, how he can't win a SB by himself, that goes for Clowney too. a defensive stud doesn't save the Jets.

You...you loved Dewayne Robertson. You loved Gholston. But...Jadeveon Clowney you have a problem with???

I don't think they're tanking this season. Most moves may make it seem that way, but I don't see the benefit to pushing Cromartie's money to 2014 if that's the plan. Think they'll try to do as well as they can this year without doing too much to sacrifice the future, but young guys will get opportunities. Will probably result in an ugly year, but I don't think it'll be entirely intentional.

Here we go again.....if we have the #1 pick you HAVE to take Johnny football.  I understand Clowney is the best talent but LB/DE do not win superbowls, qbs do. This isa qb league and if there is a franchise qb available whether it is Johnny football or Bridgewater you have to take the QB every time

He might be worth not padding the 2013 roster with short-term vets to chase six wins, though.

after Trader Mike the Idzik Jets are prob gonna sign cheap vets as long as he is employed. Whether it's a 6-10 season or 10-6 this guy seems to have a plan for everyone else discards and develop through the draft. What Vets have they signed? Garrard and Hilliard. Could either be making more than vet min? Prob not. 

after Trader Mike the Idzik Jets are prob gonna sign cheap vets as long as he is employed. Whether it's a 6-10 season or 10-6 this guy seems to have a plan for everyone else discards and develop through the draft. What Vets have they signed? Garrard and Hilliard. Could either be making more than vet min? Prob not. 

you never know.. Idzik was sort of a cap guy and after the mess Tanny go this team in with a ton of free agents and extensions that didn't work out, Woody might have told him to not sign anybody.  Hell the story is Woody doesn't want to pay Revis.   Or maybe Woody spent to much on a losing president and is in a financial mess.   

You don't tank a season for anything but a franchise quarterback.  The kid is a phenomenal prospect, but he's not going to add a half dozen wins to a team like an Andrew Luck.  I don't believe in tanking at all, but gun to my head, I only do it for an elite QB prospect.

Does any team ever tank?    Imagine you tank the year the Lions went 0-16.  

Suddenly a 2-14 team isn't getting the first pick and you don't get the guy you tanked the season for. Or that guy isn't what people thought.

Remember Leinart was suppose to go #1 or #2,  stayed an extra year, and wound up going 10.   Barkley was supposed to be a top 10 pick last season, stayed an extra year and in a bad QB year, probably won't even go in the first round, maybe not even 2nd.  The list goes on.   

There aren't many Lucks or Mannings thats for sure.  RG3 was a good prospect, but he wasn't considered a top pick until his incredible season.

If he was a kid who came back for another year, maybe he isn't #2.    Look at Johnny Football. If the guy could come out this year, he'd probably be #1.   By the time he comes out,  he might no longer be the prize in the sky everybody fell in love with.  that's just the way it works.  

And you never know what teams stink or are good from year to year.  The Jets might go 4-12 and wind up with the 5th pick.  Not the end of the world, but imagine you wanted a Luck or RG3... Suddenly you have to trade away the franchise to get that #2 pick.  Even after being a bad team.

If they suck I hope they suck enough to land Clowney. Guy is a beast. He has 21 sacks and ~35 TFL, 8 FF, 11 QB hurries, 3 PDs as a true sophomore. Even a disappointing-ish 9 sack season would have him at 30 with whatever he adds to the other stuff.

Liking that insurance program the NCAA has. Guy is the next big thing in the NFLz. Mr. America Football wants to do it too. I wonder if he beats Clowney's 5 million.

He's not a long term NFL QB. He's too small and doesn't have a great arm. It's all about Bridgewater.

Beg to differ...Teddy has accomplished what exactly?  Johnny Football the real deal...best combination of Fran Tarkenton and Joe Montana in a new era of offense in the NFL.

Beg to differ...Teddy has accomplished what exactly?  Johnny Football the real deal...best combination of Fran Tarkenton and Joe Montana in a new era of offense in the NFL.

His game won't translate to the NFL and he's a little guy.. Bridgewater plays in an NFL style offense NTM his great size and tools. 

If we are tanking for anything we are tanking for Teddy Bridgewater. He is going to be the best QB in next year's draft. If you are a team without a QB, us, you cannot pass on a QB in a tank year. We can try and improve the rest of the roster as best we can via the draft, but until we square away the QB position it is all window dressing.

This whole tanking concept is silly.  Tank the season for a Jr. (who is obviously coming out) but what if not?  What if he gets injured like Lattimore and ruins his draft stock completely.  What if he has a career ending injury?

Next year has a ton of talent, a lot are underclassmen...tanking the season on the hopes of drafting them is pretty ridiculous.  

And thats besides that fact that I dont think a first year GM is going to tank his first season on the job.  Probably not how a person would want to start a career.

This whole tanking concept is silly.  Tank the season for a Jr. (who is obviously coming out) but what if not?  What if he gets injured like Lattimore and ruins his draft stock completely.  What if he has a career ending injury?

Next year has a ton of talent, a lot are underclassmen...tanking the season on the hopes of drafting them is pretty ridiculous.  

And thats besides that fact that I dont think a first year GM is going to tank his first season on the job.  Probably not how a person would want to start a career.

Yeah, i mean anything can happen. You can tank and still not get the no1  pick...

As far as the GM goes, i don't think Idzik cares what the record this season is and Woody doesn't either.

I want to see David Fales and Teddy Bridgewater play against better teams. They for sure are talent but face cup cap defenses. As for the gators defense that was an complete aberration.

Did you watch the sugar bowl? The guy destroyed Florida's D, a top 5 D in the country. NTM he played against UCONN and Rutgers who were both top 10 ranked D's this year.

Yeah, i mean anything can happen. You can tank and still not get the no1  pick...

As far as the GM goes, i don't think Idzik cares what the record this season is and Woody doesn't either.

You dont think he cares?    

I hope our new GM doesnt take that type of attitude toward the season.  Then we have a real problem.  What kind of winner doesnt care?

You dont think he cares?    

I hope our new GM doesnt take that type of attitude toward the season.  Then we have a real problem.  What kind of winner doesnt care?

Because I'm sure Idzik and Woody have had the discussion about how they are rebuilding and that means the team is going to be really bad this season.

honestly Im not as high on Clowney as everyone else. Watch that Michigan game again, Taylor Lewan took care of him all day long. Clowney is a very good player but he's not worth tanking a season for...  all the stuff people say about Revis, how he can't win a SB by himself, that goes for Clowney too. a defensive stud doesn't save the Jets. 

Even a Revis?

Archived