Why Darrelle Revis Will Not Be Traded

JetNation

With the NFL new league year upon us the rumor mill is churning about trade offers for New York Jets star cornerback Darrelle Revis.  There are reports the team already has a trade offer in place along with a long term contract for Revis since he becomes a free agent in 2014 unable to be restricted under his current deal.

The prevailing thinking is Revis wants a long term deal and the Jets don’t want to pay so the above scenario makes sense.  There is a problem facing Revis which is his current health status recovering from a torn anterior cruciate (knee) ligament (ACL).

Revis wants the security of guaranteed salary which comes when signing a new contract.  If Revis was a healthy unrestricted free agent, unable to be tagged or restricted by the Jets, right now teams would be lining up to offer contract structure with fully guaranteed money which means Revis gets paid that money no matter what.

Of course players desire any type of guaranteed money and they can come in different forms – Skill:  The player is cut cause he’s not good enough anymore, Injury:  The player gets hurt, or Salary cap:  The team can’t afford the player anymore.

Fully guaranteed money covers all three types of release and the player still gets paid.  Sometimes money is guaranteed for injury only till a certain date then becomes fully guaranteed or the player’s salary for a particular year becomes fully guaranteed after the previous season ends.

Revis’ problem right now is no team, including the Jets, will offer Revis more money than he has coming to him this season, $3 million in offseason bonuses and $3 million base salary, paid over 17 weeks throughout the season, $6 million total compensation in 2013.

Teams will want to see Revis is healthy and back to being Revis before paying him.  Even with a trading team offering big money and guarantees the terms won’t take effect until after the 2013 season which means if Revis got injured again the new team could get out of the contract.

New York Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas tore his (ACL) two years in a row and his career is in jeopardy.  Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback Rashean Mathis never recovered fully from tearing his ACL in 2011 and may not be able to make a roster this season.  So for every Adrian Peterson who had an amazing comeback for an ACL injury there are others who do not and until Revis proves he’s 100% no NFL general manager is going to invest the millions of guaranteed money Revis desires in a new contract.

Basically no matter where Revis plays in 2013 it will be a “prove it” year much like former Jets safety LaRon Landry had last season and now he got a lucrative contract in free agency.  So why would Revis sign a contract knowing he’s getting no new 2013 salary and is stuck under it if he returns to an All-Pro level?  Would he be better off not signing a new contract playing out 2013 then hitting the open market after a great season?  That allows all the teams to bid on him instead of being tied to a lesser contract.

If Revis has a setback or doesn’t perform at a high level the acquiring team is going to release him to unrestricted free agency just like if he’d never signed a new deal.

Bottom line is Revis sees the “brass ring” total unrestricted free agency in 2014 with his services going to the highest bidder so unless some team is willing to blindly give Revis a big contract with loads of fully guaranteed money hoping he returns completely healthy from injury there is no advantage to him signing a new deal.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a odd feeling Jets may be keeping him with conditions....

Keep him thru camp to see if his knee healed, aka, HIGHER trade value.

Then if healed, we will see what plays out in camp ,1st part of season...Does a contender suffer a CB injury and overpay for Revis in a trade? Do Jets figure a way to keep him in NY. Remember, he reportedly LOVES NY/NJ area and wants to stay. Maybe some combo of Nike money and his wanting to stay in NY lets him sign a somewhat Jet friendly deal.  After all he has banked 2 huge bonuses already, so I think he will not just move anywhere if a Free Agent to highest bidder. never forget, Nike could kick in some dough cause its in thier best interest to have him in NYs media market. CBs arent like QBs marketing wise (can play anywhere). Big market helps.

Then there is the other option: His knee doesnt recover fully.  If that happens then trading now is obviosuly best. But if we keep him, then his price lowers (as well as trade value)..maybe a 80% Revis's asking price  would be more 'affordable' to Jets?

Then if healed, we will see what plays out in camp ,1st part of season...Does a contender suffer a CB injury and overpay for Revis in a trade? Do Jets figure a way to keep him in NY. Remember, he reportedly LOVES NY/NJ area and wants to stay. Maybe some combo of Nike money and his wanting to stay in NY lets him sign a somewhat Jet friendly deal.  After all he has banked 2 huge bonuses already, so I think he will not just move anywhere if a Free Agent to highest bidder. never forget, Nike could kick in some dough cause its in thier best interest to have him in NYs media market. CBs arent like QBs marketing wise (can play anywhere). Big market helps.

Then there is the other option: His knee doesnt recover fully.  If that happens then trading now is obviosuly best. But if we keep him, then his price lowers (as well as trade value)..maybe a 80% Revis's asking price  would be more 'affordable' to Jets?

Revis wants to be paid top dollar, so some 'home team' discount would be tough to sell.   And after the way things have been handled and all these trade rumors,  many players with Egos bail.   Look at Welker up in New England.   Guy was their best WR in the BB era and for whatever reason BB and Welker clashed.  Brady seemed to love the guy and why wouldn't he.   But they didn't want to pay him and he left for Denver and Manning.       

Even without all this crazy offseason and all the ignoring Revis, trying to trade him, not wanting to resign him to a new deal, etc,  it would have been tough signing a contract he wants, but now adding all those other factors,   the only way I see the Jets resigning him is if they overpay everyone else.   And at this point,  you don't go out of your way to try and make a trade if thats what you were going to do anyway.

Chase Daniel's (I think it was him) agent placed a provision in his contract, that if he was to throw for over 2,000 yards and 12 TDs in any season (basically, become the starter) that his contract would be voided and set for renewed terms.  I thought that was brilliant. 

I don't understand why we can't do the same thing with Revis.  Determine his asking price, see if it is really $16M or if it's closer to $12M,  and then design some terms that will base his 2014 pay off of his ability to come back healthy...then we can trade him AND his contract to a team who will fully understand what they are getting. 

Revis wants to be paid top dollar, so some 'home team' discount would be tough to sell.   And after the way things have been handled and all these trade rumors,  many players with Egos bail.   Look at Welker up in New England.   Guy was their best WR in the BB era and for whatever reason BB and Welker clashed.  Brady seemed to love the guy and why wouldn't he.   But they didn't want to pay him and he left for Denver and Manning.       

Even without all this crazy offseason and all the ignoring Revis, trying to trade him, not wanting to resign him to a new deal, etc,  it would have been tough signing a contract he wants, but now adding all those other factors,   the only way I see the Jets resigning him is if they overpay everyone else.   And at this point,  you don't go out of your way to try and make a trade if thats what you were going to do anyway.

everyone wants top dollar..BUT, when as a player who has 25 Mill in bank , sometime you start to think "Do I want less $ to stay where I love to live, or do I risk being traded to Cleveland"

If he becomes a Free Agent, I gurantee you he doesnt end up taking highest offer. he will weigh, city, marketing abilities and money,,all 3 factors.

If his 2 highest offers are 16M from Cinncy and 14M from a Dallas/SF etc,,he (and Nike, LOL)  picks 14M offer.

according to jasons recent "temporary" Jets cap page the team has 107 million in spend (on a 123 mil cap).

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Jets&Year=2013

Next year presumably more bad contracts i.e. Mark will be removed. 

the Jets aren't gonna field an 80 million dollar team (in fact it's illegal to do this as teams now have to spend to a salary cap floor... approx 98 mil)

I guess my point is Someone's gonna be paid star money. It might actually be Revis.  they can afford him, despite protestations to the contrary. 

according to jasons recent "temporary" Jets cap page the team has 107 million in spend (on a 123 mil cap).

the Jets aren't gonna field an 80 million dollar team (in fact it's illegal to do this as teams now have to spend to a salary cap floor... approx 98 mil)

I guess my point is Someone's gonna be paid star money. It might actually be Revis.  they can afford him, despite protestations to the contrary. 

They could be playing a crafty game like you say BIT. He may be finished a high number like 15-20% never paly again. Everyone thinks ACL is routine but it isnt. You lost movment and fexibility in the knee also.

Plus at the number 1 worst position for a bad knee Cornerback, from his Pic of him in "Gay Paris" sporting the Atlanta Falcons cap, he looks like he's logged on the pounds. Revis isnt working out for anyone, any time soon.

They could be playing a crafty game like you say BIT. He may be finished a high number like 15-20% never paly again. Everyone thinks ACL is routine but it isnt. You lost movment and fexibility in the knee also.

Plus at the number 1 worst position for a bad knee Cornerback, from his Pic of him in "Gay Paris" sporting the Atlanta Falcons cap, he looks like he's logged on the pounds. Revis isnt working out for anyone, any time soon.

Instagram twitter pics add 10 pounds. 

Bingo!

Jets have gathered contract info from other teams the cornerback market is depressed the Jets can make a very competitive offer to

Revis.  There is a good chance he stays.

everyone wants top dollar..BUT, when as a player who has 25 Mill in bank , sometime you start to think "Do I want less $ to stay where I love to live, or do I risk being traded to Cleveland"

If he becomes a Free Agent, I gurantee you he doesnt end up taking highest offer. he will weigh, city, marketing abilities and money,,all 3 factors.

If his 2 highest offers are 16M from Cinncy and 14M from a Dallas/SF etc,,he (and Nike, LOL)  picks 14M offer.

What makes you think Revis loves NY.  Most people from rural areas  don’t like living in NY.

Revis is from Western Pa.  he might love Cleveland

With that said I am pretty sure Revis will love where ever he gets the most money.   So far it’s been NY.  That will change 

Chase Daniel's (I think it was him) agent placed a provision in his contract, that if he was to throw for over 2,000 yards and 12 TDs in any season (basically, become the starter) that his contract would be voided and set for renewed terms.  I thought that was brilliant. 

I don't understand why we can't do the same thing with Revis.  Determine his asking price, see if it is really $16M or if it's closer to $12M,  and then design some terms that will base his 2014 pay off of his ability to come back healthy...then we can trade him AND his contract to a team who will fully understand what they are getting. 

Your plan sounds great………………  If this was a normal player.

If Revis signs a 5 year $60,000,000 deal, and plays well next year, after he has received $20,000,000 in guaranteed money, what are the odds of a hold out in 2014?

That’s what Johnson is tired of.  Thinks he has a long term contract, then bang, the hold out talk begins.

Past history has shown that nothing you give him will make him happy for more then a year or two.  He will never sign a contract with a no hold out clause again, and as long as he is playing well he’ll take the guaranteed money and run.

That's why Revis won't be resigned.  History shows he won't honor what ever he signs

History shows he won't honor what ever he signs

Historically he's rarely been paid what he's worth. If he gets that big contract he won't have any reason to hold out. 

people make it out like Revis is some kind of monster. He was gonna be paid less than Eric Smith. that's why he held out. The whole thing was grossly mismanaged, by tanny. 

Really not trying to get into another argument here, but just to clarify, the point was never made (at least by anyone that I have seen) that it would be impossible for the Jets to in any way fit a contract for Revis under their salary cap, as you are suggesting here.  The argument was that many felt Revis was not worth committing such a large portion of the Jets' salary cap to and it would ultimately be detrimental to the team.  You don't agree with the latter at all, which I totally get, but those are two very different arguments.

Really not trying to get into another argument here, but just to clarify, the point was never made (at least by anyone that I have seen) that it would be impossible for the Jets to in any way fit a contract for Revis under their salary cap, as you are suggesting here.  The argument was that many felt Revis was not worth committing such a large portion of the Jets' salary cap to and it would ultimately be detrimental to the team.  You don't agree with the latter at all, which I totally get, but those are two very different arguments.

my question is simple if the Jets aren't paying revis, who are they paying? It's not rhetorical.  

Revis is some kind of monster.

How could you say that Bit.  Revis isn’t a Monster.  I mean that’s extreme man. He’s only greedy.  

(Just thought I’d do what you do)

Guy made 32.5 million in the first two years of his contract.  Then blew his knee out, and didn't play.  He's been paid way more then a CB is worth

my question is simple if the Jets aren't paying revis, who are they paying? It's not rhetorical.  

I see your point and to be clear, I think if the Jets really wanted to, they could get a new Revis contract to fit into the cap.  Truth be told, with enough work and willingness to make sacrifices elsewhere on their team, any team can pretty much fit any player under their cap.  Regarding your question, the one point is that it would not be any one player who they would be paying that money.  Rather, it would allow the Jets to sign numerous other starting-caliber players (be it FAs or retaining other Jets' they may not be able to otherwise) who combined, I believe could be of a greater benefit to this team than the value provided by one CB, regardless of how talented he may be.  If you're asking for individual names, that's what the Jets FO is for, not me, particularly since we're talking about future years here.  That would all be in addition to whatever haul the Jets get in return in a trade (which, in the case of draft picks, would come at a nominal cap cost).

I get that you don't agree with this, but my point was really that the argument of those who disagree with you isn't that the Jets can't possibly afford Revis, but rather that doing what they would need to do in order to do so may not be in the team's best interest.

Your plan sounds great………………  If this was a normal player.

If Revis signs a 5 year $60,000,000 deal, and plays well next year, after he has received $20,000,000 in guaranteed money, what are the odds of a hold out in 2014?

That’s what Johnson is tired of.  Thinks he has a long term contract, then bang, the hold out talk begins.

Past history has shown that nothing you give him will make him happy for more then a year or two.  He will never sign a contract with a no hold out clause again, and as long as he is playing well he’ll take the guaranteed money and run.

That's why Revis won't be resigned.  History shows he won't honor what ever he signs

That is easy.

Tannenbaum already cured him from holding out.  If he didn't we would just be reading about his impending holdout and how well his rehab was going. Not about this trade.  That clause is easy enough to negotiate into the deal.

That situation would be ideal, except, most teams would have spent all their cap space already and wouldn't have enough to accomodate Revis. Also, most teams would have filled their rosters already, so instead of having almost a couple dozen teams looking for a starting corner or two, you wouldn't have as many teams now.

i dont see him staying. Hes probably pissed anyway that they would consider trading him

I doubt he's pissed about it. He knows the business side of this more than any other player. He knows why we are reluctant to pay him. He knows coaches and GM want him, just not his salary demands.

That is easy.

Tannenbaum already cured him from holding out.  If he didn't we would just be reading about his impending holdout and how well his rehab was going. Not about this trade.  That clause is easy enough to negotiate into the deal.

Can’t guarantee it, but I’d bet Revis will never sign another deal with a no hold out clause, unless he gets a % of the team.  As much as we love to hate Tannenbaum, that was a pretty clever ploy

That is easy.

Problem with that is, if he chooses to holdout, what are the Jets going to do about it? He'll hold out for as long as Jets get tired and give in via a major contract, or trade him for peanuts.

I doubt he's pissed about it. He knows the business side of this more than any other player. He knows why we are reluctant to pay him. He knows coaches and GM want him, just not his salary demands.

wasnt he "speechless" or something when he heard rumors about it. he seemed kinda mad or annoyed idk lol

All sports players understand the business, hell most fans do, doesn't mean you like it or don't get pissed about it.  

He might not give a crap as long as they pay him top dollar.  Or he might be talking to his agents in private saying "i'll never play for the Jets again."

That’s the bottom line.  A lot of teams want him, they just aren’t about to pay him, and go thru an endless series of hold outs.

Don’t know how accurate it was (unnamed source) but I read an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer a few days ago about the Eagles interest in Revis.   Said the Bucs deal was agreed upon on compensation for the Jets, but the Bucs had attached a provision to the deal that Revis had to sign a set contract, which the Jets knew he wouldn’t sign.

So far, no deal.

Like I said, certainly don’t know the validity of the article.  

What makes you think Revis loves NY.  Most people from rural areas  don’t like living in NY.

Revis is from Western Pa.  he might love Cleveland

With that said I am pretty sure Revis will love where ever he gets the most money.   So far it’s been NY.  That will change 

Cause on ESPN the other night, some talking head from NY said 'inside circles say he and geiger love NY/NJ area and want to stay'. they went on to say revis has told friends he also wants to be one of few guys to only play for one team and really wants to retire a Jet and go into NY media after he retires.

take it for whats its worth..

All sports players understand the business, hell most fans do, doesn't mean you like it or don't get pissed about it.  

He might not give a crap as long as they pay him top dollar.  Or he might be talking to his agents in private saying "i'll never play for the Jets again."

Revis wouldn't say that to his agent. Rex loves him too much for Revis to say that. Revis knows its the owner that just doesn't wanna pay as much, but nothing personal.

Problem with that is, if he chooses to holdout, what are the Jets going to do about it? He'll hold out for as long as Jets get tired and give in via a major contract, or trade him for peanuts.

If he holds out the Jets hold his rights at $3M per for the next 3 years (aka his prime).  He will not hold out and if he does the Jets will trade him with that $3M per deal and get multiple firsts. 

Cause on ESPN the other night, some talking head from NY said 'inside circles say he and geiger love NY/NJ area and want to stay'. they went on to say revis has told friends he also wants to be one of few guys to only play for one team and really wants to retire a Jet and go into NY media after he retires.

take it for whats its worth..

I actually did read that.

I’ll bet if, for some reason, the Bucs decide to pay him $17,000,000 a year with $50,000,000 guaranteed in the first 2 years, he’ll be saying how he has always loved Tampa Bay.  Takes his family there every off season, (when he’s not in Paris) and is going to be happy retiring as a Buc with a Super Bowl Ring, which only he can bring because he’s the best player on the team.  Hell in the league.

Then hold out when he gets the $50,000,000 

If he holds out the Jets hold his rights at $3M per for the next 3 years (aka his prime).  He will not hold out and if he does the Jets will trade him with that $3M per deal and get multiple firsts. 

And when in camp when he starts getting head aches (possible concussion), or ham string injuries.  Can't practice for weeks on end.

Creating problems in the locker room, ect.  What are the Jets going to do?

Revis said the day he signed his last contract to hold out clause didn't mean squat to him.

They aren't going to hold him prisoner.  The NY media would love that

A conveniently ignored reason why he won't be traded:

The Jets will not be paying franchise QB money for years. There is no franchise QB coming in and eating that payroll right away. There is no pass rusher coming in and taking that payroll. There is no better player coming to the Jets that will be costing the Jets the ability to hold an elite player to an elite NFL contract (which still leaves plenty of room to cut the player when he becomes an inconvenience) on the roster for 4-5 years. 

Another huge reason:

Teams need to pay up to land a great talent. Paying up to many fans seems to involve being happy with less than a first round pick+. Pass. Pay a huge price or GFY, NO DIIICEEE.

Archived