Why Darrelle Revis Will Not Be Traded

JetNation

So if we don't re-sign Revis at whatever his asking price, then we are relegated to having a team with 53 Anthony Schlegels.  Gotcha.

You are an expert at bashing revis and bashing my arguments. Give me a plan Spermy. Tell me how trading revis makes this team better. and not in 10 years. Give me names. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have all seen 100's of prospects come and go every year, those draft picks could actually be worth nothing. They are draft picks. 50% chance in rd 1 of a starter and it goes down from there. The Jets got Stephen Hill in rd 2 last year how's that working out? They got Kellen Clemens in rd 2. Trade Revis for Stephen Hill and a conditional whatever in 2014? It's not that unthinkable. We can say oh Tanny wasn't good at drafting, Idzik will be awesome, that's like saying Schotty was terrible and Sparano will be awesome. It's hope. We are hoping that the draft picks pay off, historically it's a coinflip at best in rd 1. Past round 1 it's not a coinflip at all by the time we get to round 6/7 the success rate is 9%. 

Clemens was a 2nd round choice.

Maybe they draft 2 HOF players. Who knows?

What we do know, is that the Jets are tired of the headache that is Revis. I can understand that to a great degree. It is a nuisance to always be talking about him wanting $$$$

You are an expert at bashing revis and bashing my arguments. Give me a plan Spermy. Tell me how trading revis makes this team better. and not in 10 years. Give me names. 

Explain to me first how if we don't re-sign Revis for whatever his asking price that we will therefore have 53 Anthony Schlegels on the team.  As though that's really any worst than 52 Anthony Schlegels plus Revis.

what about if Idzik can figure a way out to keep him at a somewhat workable #?

i think workable is relative tho.

like if he gets 4m more then aqib talib thats to much. He is the best in the buisness but i dont see the immense increase in money to justify the talent compared to other solid players

Explain to me first how if we don't re-sign Revis for whatever his asking price that we will therefore have 53 Anthony Schlegels on the team.  As though that's really any worst than 52 Anthony Schlegels plus Revis.

Look at the roster. It's not great. Take Revis away it gets even worse. The boar hunter thing was hyperbole but every team needs stars.  All i want to know is if you trade away the teams best player, who is the next star? 

Saying I don't know is roughly the same as saying there are no stars.  

Maybe they draft 2 HOF players. Who knows?

What we do know, is that the Jets are tired of the headache that is Revis. I can understand that to a great degree. It is a nuisance to always be talking about him wanting $$$$

if the goal is to replace revis by drafting hall of famers, then the Jets are correct in holding out for a 1. Cause that's where they come from. 

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/general/draft/round.aspx

Look at the roster. It's not great. Take Revis away it gets even worse. The boar hunter thing was hyperbole but every team needs stars.  All i want to know is if you trade away the teams best player, who is the next star? 

Saying I don't know is roughly the same as saying there are no stars.  

I don't see the logic in your argument though.   If the Jets are too dumb to find any talented players, having Revis or not having Revis makes no difference.  You assume if they dump Revis they will have 53 horrible players.      So by keeping Revis, they dump one horrible player.   I'm just not following the logic.  What's the point in the argument then?     Great they keep Revis but still stink.   Who cares.  

The idea is to build a winner, however they do it.   If they can get Revis to be around $10 Million under the cap, however they do it, go for it.  But Paying Revis Mario Williams money or Calvin Williams money will result in the Jets being like the Bills and Lions.   And who wants to follow that philosophy?

I don't see the logic in your argument though.   If the Jets are too dumb to find any talented players, having Revis or not having Revis makes no difference.  You assume if they dump Revis they will have 53 horrible players.      So by keeping Revis, they dump one horrible player.   I'm just not following the logic.  What's the point in the argument then?     Great they keep Revis but still stink.   Who cares.  

The idea is to build a winner, however they do it.   If they can get Revis to be around $10 Million under the cap, however they do it, go for it.  But Paying Revis Mario Williams money or Calvin Williams money will result in the Jets being like the Bills and Lions.   And who wants to follow that philosophy?

i think there is an outcome for the 2013 Jets where they don't stink. It's unlikely but it's possible. It's not about being too dumb to find players but even geniuses don't find hall of famers in round 2. they need to either get value for Revis or build around him. I agree letting him walk for free isn't great. But the Jets have Revis and they can afford to wait. I hope this isn't about the 1 million dollar workout bonus. That would be a shame. 

according to jasons recent "temporary" Jets cap page the team has 107 million in spend (on a 123 mil cap).

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Jets&Year=2013

Next year presumably more bad contracts i.e. Mark will be removed. 

the Jets aren't gonna field an 80 million dollar team (in fact it's illegal to do this as teams now have to spend to a salary cap floor... approx 98 mil)

I guess my point is Someone's gonna be paid star money. It might actually be Revis.  they can afford him, despite protestations to the contrary. 

I think teams can still carry over 100% of their cap room to the next season.  If so, maybe they do not go all-in this season and better their cap position in 2014.   In that case, maybe he does get signed.

i think there is an outcome for the 2013 Jets where they don't stink. It's unlikely but it's possible. It's not about being too dumb to find players but even geniuses don't find hall of famers in round 2. they need to either get value for Revis or build around him. I agree letting him walk for free isn't great. But the Jets have Revis and they can afford to wait. I hope this isn't about the 1 million dollar workout bonus. That would be a shame. 

I assume it's not about a million bucks.  That would look bad to accept some lame offer to avoid paying that out.   

The Jets 2013 season is going to depend on how well they draft this year, how some other young players step up,  and how well Rex and staff can coach these players.  And who knows maybe Garrard/Sanchez have career years.  You never know.  

But even with all that, what are they, 8-8, 9-7?    

You might hold out hope that they resign Revis.  I don't see it. I don't think a CB is worth $16 million, but that's not for me to decide. That's the Jets FO decision.   I just see what's going on and it becomes clearer that they want to get rid of the guy.  So whether they trade him now or let him walk next winter makes no difference.  The only difference is now they'll get a bunch of decent picks, next winter, basically nothing.    

And the theory of waiting till mid season to trade him doesn't work. Teams, agents, players, etc don't renegotiate in the middle of a contract year. 

If it's week 5, Revis and Agent would be better off waiting till winter and signing some Max deal with whomever he chooses.   So the Jets are forced to trade him to a team who will get him for half a season.  No team is going to give up a ton of picks for an 8 game rental.

Wow you've convinced me

95 from the 1st round

117 non first rounders.

Clearly the only place you can find a HOF'er is the first round

this is one of those statistics can mean anything moments. You took all the 117 non first round players and grouped them as "the field" Only problem is that the Jets don't pick "the field" they make 2nd, 3rd etc. and 1st is the most fertile round, by far, for HOF talent. 

this is one of those statistics can mean anything moments. You took all the 117 non first round players and grouped them as "the field" Only problem is that the Jets don't pick "the field" they make 2nd, 3rd etc. and 1st is the most fertile round, by far, for HOF talent. 

LOL

Of course it is.  Either that or all the GM's that ever were are morons.   1st round gives you better odds of finding a HOF'er, but it is not exclusive

Besides, I was only busting your chops, because the Revis argument

Is very reminiscent of other obsessive arguments you have been involved in. I won’t mention names because you have taken enough punishment over the years about it

Besides, I was only busting your chops, because the Revis argument

Is very reminiscent of other obsessive arguments you have been involved in. I won’t mention names because you have taken enough punishment over the years about it

i am bummed about it. it's true man, Revis getting traded... how is this good news and something to look forward to? I can see the necessity but at least gotta get at least a 1st. He's Revis. 

i am bummed about it. it's true man, Revis getting traded... how is this good news and something to look forward to? I can see the necessity but at least gotta get at least a 1st. He's Revis. 

No one thinks trading Revis is good news.  It is better news than losing him for nothing, and having 1 CB count nearly $20M on any year's cap is idiocy.  So of the 3 options, it is the most preferable.

If he stays he counts $3M more on the Jets cap than any other team's.  Part of that horrible money we underpaid Revis by that we shouldn't count anymore.  

With other players I suppose one could argue that if we had a lot of cap room 1 year, like 2014 for example, then we could load a lot of his contract money - $25M or more - in 1 year.  But with someone like Revis, he'll say that doesn't count after that year is over, as if anyone would pay him $25M to play CB for 1 season, and hold out a year or two later when any year's salary drops to a level he finds personally insulting.  

But no one wants to see him gone.  He's the best ever and we'll never get another one like him.  At the same time, he's just a CB.

No one thinks trading Revis is good news.  It is better news than losing him for nothing, and having 1 CB count nearly $20M on any year's cap is idiocy.  So of the 3 options, it is the most preferable.

If he stays he counts $3M more on the Jets cap than any other team's.  Part of that horrible money we underpaid Revis by that we shouldn't count anymore.  

With other players I suppose one could argue that if we had a lot of cap room 1 year, like 2014 for example, then we could load a lot of his contract money - $25M or more - in 1 year.  But with someone like Revis, he'll say that doesn't count after that year is over, as if anyone would pay him $25M to play CB for 1 season, and hold out a year or two later when any year's salary drops to a level he finds personally insulting.  

But no one wants to see him gone.  He's the best ever and we'll never get another one like him.  At the same time, he's just a CB.

Normally you're spot on, but really could not disagree more. The whole argument is based around a three year old figure that he's now factually refusing to back down from with the Jets, that he's a meany and will hold out anyway, and then will cut and run as soon as the guaranteed money is up (like teams do - all the time - in the NFL).

Worse is that in the scenario where you load up all the guaranteed money to 25+ in year 1 you then fault him for thinking that someone would pay him 25 million to play CB for 1 season! You just paid him 25 million to play football for one season! 

Someone tweeted that Landry wanted to remain a Jet and came back to Idzik with the Colts' offer. .

Revis said he wants to remain a Yet. Revis to Bucs was said to be almost done if they could reach an extension. 

Revis comes back to Idzik with extension offer from Bucs?

Good way to gauge how he would do on the FA market. 

Another one

He does this:

None of those plays affected the outcome of the games. 

Nobody can deny revis would make a team better, but what's the point of the video?    

If he's asking for Peyton Manning kind of money, Revis highlight reel kind of looks depressing.

Nobody can deny revis would make a team better, but what's the point of the video?

If he's asking for Peyton Manning kind of money, Revis highlight reel kind of looks depressing.

He's actually asking for double Peyton Manning money. Says he is bigger than just some old, injured QB. Rumor is he said he wants one BILLion dollars.

What makes you say that?

Security: People are saying he wants to hit FA and make the megabucks but the reality is that it's a risk. Any other year maybe he plays out the contract and takes his chances, but I bet he's looking for more security than that.

We'll have the money: This year's cap is irrelevant. Sanchez and more are gone next year. We have the $$$ to do it.

Overestimated value: He won't get as much as he wants in his dream world. Jets know it, so do his agents.

Rex wants him.

We won't get enough value from other teams. Who is left in the race?

Smokescreen: All of this has shopping has been done just for due diligence reasons, and because the Jets are cutting down his value even more by showing him that they don't "need" him necessarily.

All the reports that are coming out about dealing him yet management has not said that at all. What's with the weird report that came out about Idzik wanting to trade him? It came out before Idzik even arrived in Florham Park! WTF? I find it perplexing that 99% of media/fans think this is a foregone conclusion.

Security: People are saying he wants to hit FA and make the megabucks but the reality is that it's a risk. Any other year maybe he plays out the contract and takes his chances, but I bet he's looking for more security than that.

We'll have the money: This year's cap is irrelevant. Sanchez and more are gone next year. We have the $$$ to do it.

Overestimated value: He won't get as much as he wants in his dream world. Jets know it, so do his agents.

Rex wants him.

Smokescreen: All of this has shopping has been done just for due diligence reasons, and because the Jets are cutting down his value even more by showing him that they don't "need" him necessarily.

All the reports that are coming out about dealing him yet management has not said that at all. What's with the weird report that came out about Idzik wanting to trade him? It came out before Idzik even arrived in Florham Park! WTF? I find it perplexing that 99% of media/fans think this is a foregone conclusion.

Man, I hope you're right. From your fingertips to God's ears. 

Rex wants him.

Yeah because the GM matters when the owner doesn't seem to want to negotiate with Revis.  When a player thinks this, it's a bad sign. And nobody from the jets has told Revis otherwise it seems.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/corner_rips_jets_owner_for_trade_lrvA1fzSps25eNKdipixXL

Someone tweeted that Landry wanted to remain a Jet and came back to Idzik with the Colts' offer. .

Revis said he wants to remain a Yet. Revis to Bucs was said to be almost done if they could reach an extension. 

Revis comes back to Idzik with extension offer from Bucs?

Good way to gauge how he would do on the FA market. 

LOVE this idea!!

We could use the Buc's offer to be a baseline of what Revis' market is.  Let him know, that this was the best offer that he would get on the market, and then ask him to take less money to stay in New York.  Tell him it would keep the team alive, he could milk the endorsements and fame, and he could show the world what he's really made of.  

Why would he take less you ask? Because of this:

We agree to give him a small base salary, but one that will enable him to make more based on incentive based contract escalators and bonuses. 

$8M base.  (comes off the same year cap)

$250,000 bonus per game that he records an interception. 

and

$250,000 bonus per game that he "shuts out" his opponent ( this could be defined how ever you want: catches allowed, yards allowed, pts allowed, etc.  obviously a combination of the).  The beauty of this additional bonus, is that it will limit his desire to gamble on the pick, because if he whiffs on one, he loses the other bonus. 

This puts him in the driver seat. He has the ability to earn an extra $0.5M per game that he plays as the shut-down CB he wants to get paid as.  16 interceptions on the season = $4M

16 games of shutting down their #1 WR = $4M

total if he meets every single bonus: $16M he's reportedly looking for.  

If he wants to get paid to be a game changer, like a QB, then he needs to change some games. Why not prorate his salary with performance based pay?

LOVE this idea!!

We could use the Buc's offer to be a baseline of what Revis' market is.  Let him know, that this was the best offer that he would get on the market, and then ask him to take less money to stay in New York.  Tell him it would keep the team alive, he could milk the endorsements and fame, and he could show the world what he's really made of.  

Why would he take less you ask? Because of this:

We agree to give him a small base salary, but one that will enable him to make more based on incentive based contract escalators and bonuses. 

$8M base.  (comes off the same year cap)

$250,000 bonus per game that he records an interception. 

and

$250,000 bonus per game that he "shuts out" his opponent ( this could be defined how ever you want: catches allowed, yards allowed, pts allowed, etc.  obviously a combination of the).  The beauty of this additional bonus, is that it will limit his desire to gamble on the pick, because if he whiffs on one, he loses the other bonus. 

This puts him in the driver seat. He has the ability to earn an extra $0.5M per game that he plays as the shut-down CB he wants to get paid as.  16 interceptions on the season = $4M

16 games of shutting down their #1 WR = $4M

total if he meets every single bonus: $16M he's reportedly looking for.  

If he wants to get paid to be a game changer, like a QB, then he needs to change some games. Why not prorate his salary with performance based pay?

In the real world that makes sense.   in Sports,  most players wouldn't agree to a deal like that.   But the Jets could try.

Yeah, you don't have to do all that.

Find out as best you can what other teams are offering. Hope Revis will let the Jets match and then the Jete go ahead and match maybe sprinkle a little in. When this fictional 20 million dollar QB shows up then they'll figure something out.

In the real world that makes sense.   in Sports,  most players wouldn't agree to a deal like that.   But the Jets could try.

I love my idea. It gives Revis the ability to earn what he believes he should, but holds him accountable to earning it. Players have performance triggered bonuses worked into their contracts all the time.

This would be like a non-malicious bounty program, signed exclusively into Revis' contract.  

I love my idea. It gives Revis the ability to earn what he believes he should, but holds him accountable to earning it. Players have performance triggered bonuses worked into their contracts all the time.

This would be like a non-malicious bounty program, signed exclusively into Revis' contract.  

How many CBs who are known more for picks than shutting down receivers have 16 INTs per year?     

Revis isn't a guy who is known to make tons of picks.  He just got blasted on Twitter for that fact.    

So really, his incentive is to shut down the best WR every game.  Which is what he is best at.  That or they don't throw his way.

But what agent would ever allow this to happen?   Didn't Ricky Williams have some stupid deal years ago where he had to match all these crazy incentives?  I think he had some no name wanna be agent who turned out to be a disaster of an agent.    Revis's agent would never go for this.

I can see something for this season based on returning to his old form. He is coming off an injury.  But after that,  no way.  And it becomes subjective.  What if the Jets are losing/winning 30-7 and the other team just isn't throwing the ball.  Or what if they play a team like the Cardinals who dont' have a legit QB.   Would the team count that as shutting down the opponent or have some loopholes in the contract where games like that don't count or certain numbers don't count.  Shut down Larry Fitzgerald and it counts.   Shut down No Name WR and it doesn't.    Because really if a team is making up a contract with all these incentives, I bet there will be all these crazy loopholes in it.

And talk about a contract you would  refuse to play for after a season and demand a new one.

Archived