Why Darrelle Revis Will Not Be Traded

JetNation

And when in camp when he starts getting head aches (possible concussion), or ham string injuries.  Can't practice for weeks on end.

Creating problems in the locker room, ect.  What are the Jets going to do?

Revis said the day he signed his last contract to hold out clause didn't mean squat to him.

They aren't going to hold him prisoner.  The NY media would love that

Couldn't disagree more.  They own him for this year.  If he tries any of that BS they will move to have him give back bonuses and probably win. They hold all the cards as far a holdout goes.  Revis was telling the truth.  This was a band-aid deal set to be altered this off-season.  That is why he is being shopped now.  Idzik seems to understand that you can't let the NY media run the team. It's one thing he has certainly done right so far.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't disagree more.  They own him for this year.  If he tries any of that BS they will move to have him give back bonuses and probably win. They hold all the cards as far a holdout goes.  Revis was telling the truth.  This was a band-aid deal set to be altered this off-season.  That is why he is being shopped now.  Idzik seems to understand that you can't let the NY media run the team. It's one thing he has certainly done right so far.

If he starts swearing he has symptoms of a concussion they will punish him and win?

No way.

That is the hot item in what’s about to become a multi billion dollar law suit.  The NFL won’t let players play who are trying to hide concussion symptoms

If he complains about having concussion symptoms, and the NFL forces him to play, he won’t have to worry about contracts.  He’ll own a team

If he starts swearing he has symptoms of a concussion they will punish him and win?

No way.

That is the hot item in what’s about to become a multi billion dollar law suit.  The NFL won’t let players play who are trying to hide concussion symptoms

If he complains about having concussion symptoms, and the NFL forces him to play, he won’t have to worry about contracts.  He’ll own a team

LOL.  Darrelle Revis did not invent the hold out or the blue flu.  He is not going to have some earth shattering method of holding out that will manage to trick us.  I will agree he won't want to sign another no-holdout clause, but that is not our concern.  He signed this one and he is stuck. 

I see your point and to be clear, I think if the Jets really wanted to, they could get a new Revis contract to fit into the cap.  Truth be told, with enough work and willingness to make sacrifices elsewhere on their team, any team can pretty much fit any player under their cap.  Regarding your question, the one point is that it would not be any one player who they would be paying that money.  Rather, it would allow the Jets to sign numerous other starting-caliber players (be it FAs or retaining other Jets' they may not be able to otherwise) who combined, I believe could be of a greater benefit to this team than the value provided by one CB, regardless of how talented he may be.  If you're asking for individual names, that's what the Jets FO is for, not me, particularly since we're talking about future years here.  That would all be in addition to whatever haul the Jets get in return in a trade (which, in the case of draft picks, would come at a nominal cap cost).

I get that you don't agree with this, but my point was really that the argument of those who disagree with you isn't that the Jets can't possibly afford Revis, but rather that doing what they would need to do in order to do so may not be in the team's best interest.

So i checked KFFL these are possible 2014 free agents, that could see "revis" money:

• QB Jay Cutler, Bears
  • QB Tony Romo, Cowboys
  • LB Brian Orakpo, Redskins
  • DE Jared Allen, Vikings
  • DE Justin Tuck, Giants
  • DT Randy Starks, Dolphins
  • WR Hakeem Nicks, Giants

I don't know about you but I don't see anyone on that list better than Revis. Maybe I'm being biased. And that's not accounting for franchise tags and re-signing with their teams. 

You aren't gonna see Tom Brady on this list. Relying on free agency to make up the 15 mil a year they aren't paying Revis isn't such a sure thing. 

They should just pay their star player and try to win with him. Cause the alternatives aren't great. 

according to jasons recent "temporary" Jets cap page the team has 107 million in spend (on a 123 mil cap).

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Jets&Year=2013

Next year presumably more bad contracts i.e. Mark will be removed. 

the Jets aren't gonna field an 80 million dollar team (in fact it's illegal to do this as teams now have to spend to a salary cap floor... approx 98 mil)

I guess my point is Someone's gonna be paid star money. It might actually be Revis.  they can afford him, despite protestations to the contrary. 

Yes, but isn't it clear it's not just about the money at this point?  He's repeatedly held the team hostage and they are sick of his nonsense.

It's possible that despite his talent, they just think that he's a douche bag and don't want to deal with him in 2 years when he holds out again.;

Yes, but isn't it clear it's not just about the money at this point?  He's repeatedly held the team hostage and they are sick of his nonsense.

It's possible that despite his talent, they just think that he's a douche bag and don't want to deal with him in 2 years when he holds out again.;

I believe that's somewhat accurate and what is driving this whole trade Revis business. I just think that's part of paying a player in the top 20 overall in the league. You can't expect the league's best defender to happily play for less than Eric Smith money. It's about respect and Tanny butchered those negotiations. The problem is they are gonna get rid of this top 20 player and replace him with what? If its not another top 20 player does 3 regular starters really mean more to the team than 1 Revis? 

The way I see it the league is about difference makers, wins and losses. People say Revis didn't help this team win games, that BS. every time he made a big interception or even a big PD, he helped the team. It's the guys like Revis that win games. It's not the Mike Devitos. As much as I like Mike Devito as a person, it's about the difference makers. If the Jets get rid of Revis they need to replace him with another difference maker. They can do that with a first round pick (theoretically). they probably aren't getting a difference maker with a 2nd and 4th. 

also if Revis is paid what he's worth, why would he hold out? He's only held out in situations where the team was trying to get his services at a bargain. Whenever Revis signs that next deal, he's not gonna hold out. He'd have no reason to. 

I believe that's somewhat accurate and what is driving this whole trade Revis business. I just think that's part of paying a player in the top 20 overall in the league. You can't expect the league's best defender to happily play for less than Eric Smith money. It's about respect and Tanny butchered those negotiations. The problem is they are gonna get rid of this top 20 player and replace him with what? If its not another top 20 player does 3 regular starters really mean more to the team than 1 Revis? 

The way I see it the league is about difference makers, wins and losses. People say Revis didn't help this team win games, that BS. every time he made a big interception or even a big PD, he helped the team. It's the guys like Revis that win games. It's not the Mike Devitos. As much as I like Mike Devito as a person, it's about the difference makers. If the Jets get rid of Revis they need to replace him with another difference maker. They can do that with a first round pick (theoretically). they probably aren't getting a difference maker with a 2nd and 4th. 

also if Revis is paid what he's worth, why would he hold out? He's only held out in situations where the team was trying to get his services at a bargain. Whenever Revis signs that next deal, he's not gonna hold out. He'd have no reason to. 

The problem is though, that in any given year where Revis's salary dips (which happens to all players to make contracts and the cap work), Revis conveniently forgets the monster signing bonuses and guaranteed money he's already gotten and claims a "lack of respect" as you put it.  The Jets have shown Revis plenty of respect, and I'm sure if he'd shown them any, and ever negotiated in good faith, then they would be glad to give him a tremendous deal commiserate with being the best CB in the league.  Now, this is not a fact, but a prediction, but if Revis got 15M per for 6 years, and in year 2, a new CB got 16, I bet we'd see Revis complaining again.

Jets don't want to deal with someone who doesn't deal in good faith. I don't blame them.

Revis can help the Broncos, 49ers, Falcons, etc.  I'm not buying the Bucs at this point, but hey if they want him, great.    

On any team, Revis makes their defense better.  But he's not an interception guy.  He's not a guy who will get pick 6s.     He's not really some Ray Lewis vocal leader a team does anything for.  He's a shut down corner.    

The Jets won't replace Revis. How would they?  He's the best CB in the NFL.  However, at his $13-16 million per year asking price, you start to have limitations in finding other good players to build a winning team.   It goes back to the Joe Flacco contract situation.  They just paid him $20 Million and he won a Super bowl MVP award.    But now they are gutting the team because they can't afford all those other players who helped the Ravens win. And he's a QB.

Revis can go to the Bucs, make that defense one of the best in the NFL and the team still misses the playoffs because Freeman sucks.

That's essentially his career with the Jets.  A great defense with a sucky QB.  

I'm not so worried about Revis holding out again, but he might.   Would he make the Jets defense better?  Of course. But we see the Jets slashing players and it seems they are intent on rebuilding.  And now it's all about who they draft.   If they can get 4 or 5 draft picks for Revis, and the front office does a good job at drafting players,  that will help the Jets future more than Revis will.   Maybe none of those players will ever be as good as Revis, but if you get 3 or 4 solid starters out of those picks,  that's better than one great player on a bad team.

I've seen you write this twice in this thread now.  Can't you just make your point without making stuff up?

When did the Jets pay him less than Eric Smith? When - but for holding out - was he scheduled to make less than Eric Smith? It never happened.  Never, never, never.

Revis would hold out if he's paid what he's worth because he can.  He was going to hold out prior to the 2012 season and luckily Tannenbaum put that poison pill in there.  Played 2 years into an new contract (half of the first year he was decidedly un-Revis-like because he wasn't in shape) where he was paid an ungodly $32M.  Then the next year his base salary naturally dips to $7.5M and he wants to hold out because he's underpaid.  He's a dirtbag.  Best corner I ever saw, but he is a dirtbag.

He signed a contract for 4 years $46M, not 2 years $32M and then give me a new contract.

If Revis wants to play it that way, then he shouldn't have accepted a signing bonus because that will naturally lower his "new money" pay in one or more seasons.  Somehow I doubt the honorable Revis would be agreeable to that.  Call me crazy.

If he holds out the Jets hold his rights at $3M per for the next 3 years (aka his prime).  He will not hold out and if he does the Jets will trade him with that $3M per deal and get multiple firsts. 

Lets say he holds out. Jets try to trade him to Bucs but Bucs know Revis is acting childish and wants a mega deal. They will not offer multiple firsts for Revis cuz Revis is simply not going to play for $3mil ($6 mil infact). He wants his $12-14mil. Revis showed he is willing to sit out NFL games (or season) if his demands are not met. We can have him on the books for $6mil, doesn't mean he'll show up to work. We'd be forced to resign him or trade him to a team that is willing to resign him. Either way, Revis gets his dough.

Lets say he holds out. Jets try to trade him to Bucs but Bucs know Revis is acting childish and wants a mega deal. They will not offer multiple firsts for Revis cuz Revis is simply not going to play for $3mil ($6 mil infact). He wants his $12-14mil. Revis showed he is willing to sit out NFL games (or season) if his demands are not met. We can have him on the books for $6mil, doesn't mean he'll show up to work. We'd be forced to resign him or trade him to a team that is willing to resign him. Either way, Revis gets his dough.

Perhaps.  I don't think he'd do that or he'd have sat out 2012 as well when he wasn't coming off an ACL injury. 

He'll play out the year, show that he's Revis again, and shop himself to all 32 teams.  He's not going to make anything as a player or as a broadcaster or anything if he sits out the rest of his career.  I agree he might do that, since he's made a ton of money already, but I really doubt it.

I've seen you write this twice in this thread now.  Can't you just make your point without making stuff up?

When did the Jets pay him less than Eric Smith? When - but for holding out - was he scheduled to make less than Eric Smith? It never happened.  Never, never, never.

in the Hard Knocks season (pre-2011?)  Revis was slated to be the 7th highest paid DB on the team. Less than Eric Smith. That's when he held out and we saw all those episodes of Tanny driving to Roscoes diner. 

By the way you guys have turned this into a "revis sucks" thread but I've yet to see real names of replacemets. Except from me. You want to pay Tony Romo the money that was slated to go to Revis? Who is the star that's gonna take that part of the cap? This multiple quality starters must be a joke. The Jets don't need to pay 15 mil for 3 quality starters. They need difference makers. not trading Revis for depth.

alot of posters are saying get rid of Revis and who cares who replaces him. I want to know who makes Revis' money. Or at least attempt to tell a story how this makes the team better when it's all said and done. the point of football is to win games not settle the age old disputes between capital and labor. 

in the Hard Knocks season (pre-2011?)  Revis was slated to be the 7th highest paid DB on the team. Less than Eric Smith. That's when he held out and we saw all those episodes of Tanny driving to Roscoes diner. 

By the way you guys have turned this into a "revis sucks" thread but I've yet to see real names of replacemets. Except from me. You want to pay Tony Romo the money that was slated to go to Revis? Who is the star that's gonna take that part of the cap? This multiple quality starters must be a joke. The Jets don't need to pay 15 mil for 3 quality starters. They need difference makers. not trading Revis for depth.

alot of posters are saying get rid of Revis and who cares who replaces him. I want to know who makes Revis' money. Or at least attempt to tell a story how this makes the team better when it's all said and done. the point of football is to win games not settle the age old disputes between capital and labor. 

He held out in training camp to get that deal which made him the 7th highest paid DB THAT year.  Again, this ignores bonuses, overall contracts, and represents dealing in bad faith.

The last 2 years of his rookie deal, despite being drafted outside the top 10, he was going to make $20M.  He also was advanced salary so he got paid earlier.  But to Revis (and you I guess), that doesn't count.

Let's see Revis agree to a contract where he gets a high salary but no signing bonus.  See how far those contract talks get.

The reason you don't pay one player $15-16 million per year is the same reason the Ravens are gutting a Super bowl champion.

Will Joe Flacco be Manning or Brady?   The Ravens hope so.      Any team who pays Revis QB money are going to hope he is the difference between an 8-8 team and a 13-3 team.  Is he?    CBs aren't as important as HOF QBs.    

The last 2 years of his rookie deal, despite being drafted outside the top 10, he was going to make $20M.  He also was advanced salary so he got paid earlier.  But to Revis (and you I guess), that doesn't count.

Let's see Revis agree to a contract where he gets a high salary but no signing bonus.  See how far those contract talks get.

People always want to forget that upfront money, which is exactly the money the players fight so hard for.

The reason you don't pay one player $15-16 million per year is the same reason the Ravens are gutting a Super bowl champion.

Will Joe Flacco be Manning or Brady?   The Ravens hope so.      Any team who pays Revis QB money are going to hope he is the difference between an 8-8 team and a 13-3 team.  Is he?    CBs aren't as important as HOF QBs.    

That's fine. All i want to know is what is the plan for all this money that trading Revis free's up. I've yet to see a plan that makes sense from anyone.

Actually that's not true, a while back Gato suggested Andy Levitre and Andre Smith as 2 players that could take Revis' money.  Levitre ended up getting about 8 mil a year and Smith still hasn't found a suitor. I don't agree with that plan but it makes some kind of sense. 

My support is for the jets and I support improving the team. I don't support tearing it all down for no reason, with no plan. 

That's fine. All i want to know is what is the plan for all this money that trading Revis free's up. I've yet to see a plan that makes sense from anyone.

Actually that's not true, a while back Gato suggested Andy Levitre and Andre Smith as 2 players that could take Revis' money. 

There's not a complete plan for the money, because any usage of that money right now would probably be in vain.  The plan is not to lose him next year for nothing, which is the likely course based on his current deal.

by the way he earned that 20 mil and then some those 2 years. You act like it's such a hot deal, Revis was absolutely dominant in 2010 and the Jets didn't want to pay him market value. the fact that he got 10 mil a year isn't relevant when he's worth 4 mil more than that, easy. He outplayed his rookie deal, that's a fact.

BUt again this is all going to the past I don't care about that. What will make the Jets better, that's my question. Trading Revis and signing Hakeem Nicks for 11 mil a year? Trading Revis and signing Brian Orakpo for similar? 

Actually that's not true, a while back Gato suggested Andy Levitre and Andre Smith as 2 players that could take Revis' money. 

That is a question for Mr Idzik, and he makes the deal (if it happens) and creates the roster, nobody knows. 

And you know what, in 2013 it is going to suck. But it was going to suck with Revis on it too.

Woody has spent money to the cap, and beyond. The most recent deals that the team did converted future salaries into bonus money that he has to lay out today. 

Jets fans have not had to worry if monies will be spent, more so on what.

by the way he earned that 20 mil and then some those 2 years. You act like it's such a hot deal, Revis was absolutely dominant in 2010 and the Jets didn't want to pay him market value. the fact that he got 10 mil a year isn't relevant when he's worth 4 mil more than that, easy. He outplayed his rookie deal, that's a fact.

BUt again this is all going to the past I don't care about that. What will make the Jets better, that's my question. Trading Revis and signing Hakeem Nicks for 11 mil a year? Trading Revis and signing Brian Orakpo for similar? 

Players hate the franchise tag, yet they want to be reevaluated and bumped up all the time.  Revis wants a big signing bonus plus essentially the franchise tag every season.

That is a question for Mr Idzik, and he makes the deal (if it happens) and creates the roster, nobody knows. 

And you know what, in 2013 it is going to suck. But it was going to suck with Revis on it too.

Woody has spent money to the cap, and beyond. The most recent deals that the team did converted future salaries into bonus money that he has to lay out today. 

Jets fans have not had to worry if monies will be spent, more so on what.

It's the "what" I am worried about. Everyone says Revis at 15 mil is such a bad deal. Ok so what's the alternative? It doesn't matter cause 2013 is gonna suck isn't a great answer.

If we actually look at the alternatives maybe building around Revis isn't so crazy. 

People always want to forget that upfront money, which is exactly the money the players fight so hard for.

yup, all about upfront in treh bank without playing one down bonus money..

I always thought if a guy signs a 4 yr deal with 20M Bonus, then if he holds out after year 3, he should have to repay 5M..

Folks say 'well team doesnt guarantee yearly salaries',,big deal, like scott says, NFL today isnt about yearly salary, its ALL about the upfront boinus

trading Revis and getting 4 decent draft picks in the next couple of seasons improves the Jets far more than Losing Revis for nothing next year.

It's the "what" I am worried about. Everyone says Revis at 15 mil is such a bad deal. Ok so what's the alternative? It doesn't matter cause 2013 is gonna suck isn't a great answer.

If we actually look at the alternatives maybe building around Revis isn't so crazy. 

Well, the jets have obviously decided they are building their backfield around Cromartie. They are not going to put the Revis AND Cromartie money together-just does not make good business sense.

Let's see how they build the rest of the team.

Then don't give me this nonsense about how the Jets were paying Eric Smith more than Revis.  Earned it shmerned it.  It was in his rookie contract, which paid him more than any #14 pick has gotten before or since. They also just paid him a big bonus the prior year and it counts.  If you don't care about the past then stop bringing it up.

And I don't need a full plan to know you don't eat up $18-19M of your salary cap on a CB who's already held out twice, wanted to hold out a third time, and is coming off an ACL injury.

trading Revis and getting 4 decent draft picks in the next couple of seasons improves the Jets far more than Losing Revis for nothing next year.

We have all seen 100's of prospects come and go every year, those draft picks could actually be worth nothing. They are draft picks. 50% chance in rd 1 of a starter and it goes down from there. The Jets got Stephen Hill in rd 2 last year how's that working out? They got Kellen Clemens in rd 2. Trade Revis for Stephen Hill and a conditional whatever in 2014? It's not that unthinkable. We can say oh Tanny wasn't good at drafting, Idzik will be awesome, that's like saying Schotty was terrible and Sparano will be awesome. It's hope. We are hoping that the draft picks pay off, historically it's a coinflip at best in rd 1. Past round 1 it's not a coinflip at all by the time we get to round 6/7 the success rate is 9%. 

nobody builds a team around a CB.  As great as Revis is, that makes no sense.  Especially considering he's not even the leader type.

The Ravens built their team around Ray lewis for years.  And even when he wasn't Ray Lewis of old, the guy was still the real leader of that team.

Revis might be the best CB in the NFL, but he isn't close to having the value a Ray Lewis does when it comes to leading a team.  

We have all seen 100's of prospects come and go every year, those draft picks could actually be worth nothing. They are draft picks. 50% chance in rd 1 of a starter and it goes down from there. The Jets got Stephen Hill in rd 2 last year how's that working out? They got Kellen Clemens in rd 1. Trade Revis for Stephen Hill and a conditional whatever in 2014? It's not that unthinkable. We can say oh Tanny wasn't good at drafting, Idzik will be awesome, that's like saying Schotty was terrible and Sparano will be awesome. It's hope. We are hoping that the draft picks pay off, historically it's a coinflip at best in rd 1. Past round 1 it's not a coinflip at all by the time we get to round 6/7 the success rate is 9%. 

This makes no sense.  If Idzik sucks at drafting players,  keeping Revis at 16 Million per year or trading him won't matter. THe Jets will still suck then.

nobody builds a team around a CB.  As great as Revis is, that makes no sense.  Especially considering he's not even the leader type.

The Ravens built their team around Ray lewis for years.  And even when he wasn't Ray Lewis of old, the guy was still the real leader of that team.

Revis might be the best CB in the NFL, but he isn't close to having the value a Ray Lewis does when it comes to leading a team.  

Revis isn't vocal but he's a leader and definitely the team fell apart when he was injured. they were 2-1 at the time.  Teams need great players to win. 53 average boar hunter types won't win crap. If there's no stars the locker room knows they are boned. If they trade Revis they need to replace him with a star. doesn't have to be a star CB. but they can't just hope it all gets better by magic.

what about if Idzik can figure a way out to keep him at a somewhat workable #?

If the Jets can do a Brady like contract on Revis, I'm all for it. Pay him what he wants but make it cap friendly, then yeah it's worth it.  

The question is will Revis go for it.

Revis isn't vocal but he's a leader and definitely the team fell apart when he was injured. they were 2-1 at the time.  Teams need great players to win. 53 average boar hunter types won't win crap. If there's no stars the locker room knows they are boned. If they trade Revis they need to replace him with a star. doesn't have to be a star CB. but they can't just hope it all gets better by magic.

So if we don't re-sign Revis at whatever his asking price, then we are relegated to having a team with 53 Anthony Schlegels.  Gotcha.

This makes no sense.  If Idzik sucks at drafting players,  keeping Revis at 16 Million per year or trading him won't matter. THe Jets will still suck then.

Im not saying Idzik will suck but what if he's just normal. Drafting is not such a cut and dried thing. After all Tanny who made the disaster picks of Gholston and Sanchez also picked Revis. Assuming Idzik has a normal rate of success, they need to get a high pick for Revis to have a chance to replace his star power. We can't just hope that Idzik will find the next richard Sherman in rd 5 and the next Tom Brady in rd 6. that's not a sound plan. 

Archived