Jets Sign OT Willie Colon of the Steelers

Stonehands

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent move.

Our biggest problem going all the way back to pre-season last year was QB and offensive line depth. This is a depth, stop-gap signing. Nothing to complain about.

It's not like the Jets roster is one player away, like the 49ers, Falcons and Seahawks kind of were coming into the off-season. We need about 20 new bodies, so they can't all be high profile, but they should all be service-able and have some upside.

Inexpensive veteran leadership is something we sorely need too.

This is the type of moves we have to make pick up lower free agent types that we get an upside with like Landry this past year

Oh, I get it.  I just wouldn't bet on him staying healthy at this stage of his career -- though I would love it if he does.  Good that he has been moved inside, since he was never good in pass protection.  

From Rotoworld

Jets signed OG Willie Colon to a one-year, $1.2 million contract.Pro Football Focus graded Colon as a top-15 run-blocking guard and top-25 pass-blocking guard in 2012, but charted him with the most penalties in the league at the position. Turning 30 in April, Colon figures to replace Brandon Moore as the Jets' starting right guard. New York now has four starting offensive linemen in place: LT Brick Ferguson, C Nick Mangold, RG Colon, and RT Austin Howard. Mar 15 - 3:52 PM

New York now has four starting offensive linemen in place: LT Brick Ferguson, C Nick Mangold, RG Colon, and RT Austin Howard. Mar 15 - 3:52 PM

Considering Vlad played 40% of the snaps at LG last year they probably have their starting 5. Barring some Chance Warmack type of pick. 

How many of the current Jets will be on the 2014 roster at this point? Mangold, Brick, Coples, Cro, Goodson, and Hill, essentially.

What about Rex?

Is he going to get a free pass and a do over through the rebuild?

I mean right now he is lame duck, and the team is being gutted.

Considering Vlad played 40% of the snaps at LG last year they probably have their starting 5. Barring some Chance Warmack type of pick. 

Agree

But it won't prevent them from drafting another guard in the 2nd if some one very good falls.

I like the signing

Gotta like what their doing here.  Bringing  in guys that can start ,so they won’t have to reach for need in the draft, but won’t prohibit them from taking a player if a quality player falls.

Gives them some flexibility in the draft.  Doesnt force you to go guard early.  Kind of surprised they didnt resign one of Moore or Slauson.

You + me = awesome

Gives them some flexibility in the draft.  Doesnt force you to go guard early.  Kind of surprised they didnt resign one of Moore or Slauson.

I think there is a strong possibility that Slauson is back.  Read somewhere that both Rex, and the new OL coach called him last week.

He’ll want to see what he is worth.  Think he’ll be back cheap.

Moore has been a great player for the Jets.  He also has had hip problems 2 years in a row. He’s at the end of his career, and wants to get paid.  I think they are going to let him walk

Took you longer to get into this Colon thing than I expected.

I think there is a strong possibility that Slauson is back.  Read somewhere that both Rex, and the new OL coach called him last week.

Moore has been a great player for the Jets.  He also has had hip problems 2 years in a row. He’s at the end of his career, and wants to get paid.  I think they are going to let him walk

Moore is a multi-year injury risk. Colon is a one-year.

Simple math. 

Then next year they aren't stuck with whatever stop-gap they came up with for this year.

they probably can still resign Slauson.

The door is obviously open for them to talk to Slauson.  I think they definitely go that route before Moore.  While Moore, has had some hip problems, I dont think he's missed a game since 05.  I could see him going to a contender, someone who needs a mauler for a couple of years while their window is open. 

Archived