Jets Sign OT Willie Colon of the Steelers

Stonehands

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colon's a few years younger

Not what I was getting at. Moore would require a multi-year deal, if he's become as much an injury concern as Colon, you got for the 1 year guy and then draft someone to get young at that position again.

This is the type of moves we have to make pick up lower free agent types that we get an upside with like Landry this past year

Agreed.  I actualy wish this was a 2 year deal because of that potential upside, but 1 year 1.2 million works for me.  No Dead money against the cap in 2 years, and if he's a flop it doesn't kill us.  Gives us good flexibility with Slausson, Moore, and the Draft to not overpay/overdraft.  Good signing.

Steelers nation is laughing down at us as they couldn't wait for DeCastro to come back sooner as this guy blows. Give him props for making the switch because his team needed it but that doesn't mean for us to continue a failed experiment.

Decastro is a natural right guard and has always played right guard. He was never gonna take Colon's LG spot. Maybe he comes back and Foster bumps over or something. 

but who are they to laugh at anyone their ol continues to be a total joke. Even with Decastro. 

As for Colon I don't see how it's a failed experiment when he played well according to PFF. injuries and all that but he's a hometown boy and that's always good. Too often the Jets would sign some midwest or good ole boy who hated NY and never should have been added to this team. Willie is from the Bronx and went to Hofstra this is a perfect place for him. Great fit. Not to mention he has years of starting RT experience.... which could come in handy. 

The New York Jets and general manager John Idzik have made another free agent roster move today.  After signing running back Mike Goodson to a three-year $6.9 million contract they also picked up offensive lineman Willie Colon who got a one-year $1.2 million deal.

Colon, age 30, was a fourth round pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2006 having played his college football at Hofstra University.  He started 62 games for the Steelers during his six year career with the team.

With two former starting offensive lineman, Matt Slauson and Brandon Moore, currently free agents and the Jets were in need of a veteran who could fill the void left by the loss of those players.

It is most likely Colon will replace Moore at right guard and Vladimir Ducasse will replace Slauson at left guard but the Jets might not be finished bringing in offensive line help.

I really like this move. He played guard for the first time last year and actually looked good until injury. Hofstra represent. 

idzik is doing well bargain shopping. 

Would you consider him an upgrade over Moore at RG ?

Decastro is a natural right guard and has always played right guard. He was never gonna take Colon's LG spot. Maybe he comes back and Foster bumps over or something. 

but who are they to laugh at anyone their ol continues to be a total joke. Even with Decastro. 

As for Colon I don't see how it's a failed experiment when he played well according to PFF. injuries and all that but he's a hometown boy and that's always good. Too often the Jets would sign some midwest or good ole boy who hated NY and never should have been added to this team. Willie is from the Bronx and went to Hofstra this is a perfect place for him. Great fit. Not to mention he has years of starting RT experience.... which could come in handy. 

No doubt.

Laugh at the team that paid him a ton of money to play 1 game in 2011 and most of 12 games in 2012 (and not exactly excelling at it), not at the one paying 1 year $1.2M for him.  Besides, I doubt it's guaranteed (the way Tannenputz guaranteed Wayne Hunter $3M last year in March).

According to PFF? Well according to the fans who are sick and tired of his slow ass getting beat and mugging his opponents on the numerous time when the Steel have completed a big passing gain. 

A fanbase talking ill about a departing player. That always happens. 

No doubt.

Laugh at the team that paid him a ton of money to play 1 game in 2011 and most of 12 games in 2012 (and not exactly excelling at it), not at the one paying 1 year $1.2M for him.  Besides, I doubt it's guaranteed (the way Tannenputz guaranteed Wayne Hunter $3M last year in March).

and---he has had a lot of time off so he may have some tread on his tires. LOL.  That's me: Mr. Optimist

According to PFF? Well according to the fans who are sick and tired of his slow ass getting beat and mugging his opponents on the numerous time when the Steel have completed a big passing gain. 

No, you're totally right, usually the opinions of a spurned fan-base are much more rational and factually accurate than a non-biased party, whose job is to break down individual plays/players and quantify those results.  F*cking Idzik and his god damned progressive thinking.

No, you're totally right, usually the opinions of a spurned fan-base are much more rational and factually accurate than a non-biased party, whose job is to break down individual plays/players and quantify those results.  F*cking Idzik and his god damned progressive thinking.

I don't think it's just a spurned fanbase. Colon was called for a sh*tload of penalties.  He got 4 holding calls in one game and I believe 2 offsides the same one.  He also got an unsportsmanlike for cursing at a ref - presumably for calling some of those.  Football Outsiders should have some stats.  Get to it nerds!

He had some kind of beef with Burfict who I think pulled his dreads out. Vontaze got dry humped.  At least I hope it was dry.

Jets take a gamble, sign LG Colon

March, 15, 2013
Mar 15

4:49

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Big Willie Colon is coming home.

The former Steelers guard, who grew up in the Bronx and attended Hofstra, signed a one-year, $1.2 million contract Friday with the Jets, according to a source. Colon (6-foot-3, 315 pounds) is a potential starter.

The Jets were in the market for a low-cost insurance policy at guard. Last year's starters, Brandon Moore and Matt Slauson, are free agents. Moore is unlikely to return; Slauson is a possibility, as he isn't drawing much interest on the market.

The key question with Colon, who turns 30 next month, is his health. He missed the 2010 season with a torn Achilles' tendon and he missed all but one game in 2011 because of a torn triceps tendon. Nevertheless, the Steelers thought enough of him in 2011 to give him a five-year, $29 million contract. At the time, he was a right tackle. He was moved to left guard last season and, after a slow start, he hit his stride around midseason. But he started experiencing knee swelling and he ended up missing five games.

He was due to make $5.5 million this season, so the Steelers cut him this week.

This is a low-risk signing by the Jets. Sometimes they work out (see LaRon Landry) and sometimes they don't (remember Jeff Otah?). When healthy, Colon is a punishing run blocker.

I don't think it's just a spurned fanbase. Colon was called for a sh*tload of penalties.  He got 4 holding calls in one game and I believe 2 offsides the same one.  He also got an unsportsmanlike for cursing at a ref - presumably for calling some of those.  Football Outsiders should have some stats.  Get to it nerds!

He had some kind of beef with Burfict who I think pulled his dreads out. Vontaze got dry humped.  At least I hope it was dry.

He was probably the most penalized offensive lineman in the league and I can see getting frustrated with him, but that game you're referencing was a ref looking to make a point.   All in all, on a one year, one point something million dollar deal, I couldn't really be any happier to be honest. The steelers can laugh at our franchise for a lot of things, but this move I don't think is one of them.  I'd still like to bring back slauson if the price is right, not sure I trust Vlad starting a full year or Colon to stay healthy.

Good a down and nasty blocker... we could use some of that. I understand your concerns about the penalties, but whatever, Rex's teams get a ton of penatlies anyway. No ******* discipline. LOL

He was probably the most penalized offensive lineman in the league and I can see getting frustrated with him, but that game you're referencing was a ref looking to make a point.   All in all, on a one year, one point something million dollar deal, I couldn't really be any happier to be honest. The steelers can laugh at our franchise for a lot of things, but this move I don't think is one of them.  I'd still like to bring back slauson if the price is right, not sure I trust Vlad starting a full year or Colon to stay healthy.

Good a down and nasty blocker... we could use some of that. I understand your concerns about the penalties, but whatever, Rex's teams get a ton of penatlies anyway. No ******* discipline. LOL

Don't get me wrong, I like the signing.  I'm very much in favor. I was just pointing out that the complaints are not like some jilted lover complaining that Angeline Jolie left the bathroom a mess.  There are legit concerns with this guy, but he is a potential starter/competition/depth.  Helps keep us from HAVING to select a certain position in the draft which is something I am very much in favor.

A fanbase talking ill about a departing player. That always happens. 

Wasn't the same with Holmes or Plax. Those player balled and Steelers nation loved them. Colon? That logic justifies the case most of the time but it's obvious you've never seen him play last year. Big-in up Colon is like praising Wayne Hunter lol. It only you had half a clue you would back track on this. This dude lead ALL NFL lineman in penalties. But ha there has to be someone to take that honor every year but when you add in those penalties taking away TDs off the board numerous times and big plays along with numerous sacks then their statements are justified. But then again props to him as that was all new to him. And like I mention a failed experiment in which we are continuing.

Wasn't the same with Holmes or Plax. Those player balled and Steelers nation loved them. Colon? That logic justifies the case most of the time but it's obvious you've never seen him play last year. Big-in up Colon is like praising Wayne Hunter lol. It only you had half a clue you would back track on this. This dude lead ALL NFL lineman in penalties. But ha there has to be someone to take that honor every year but when you add in those penalties taking away TDs off the board numerous times and big plays along with numerous sacks then their statements are justified. But then again props to him as that was all new to him. And like I mention a failed experiment in which we are continuing.

I think sometimes people don't watch other teams often, and probably rarely pay attention to a guy like this, so now that he's a Jet, must be better than anything they had.   Not always the case.   It's one of those cheap roster spots this offseason and they need to fill up the roster.

I think sometimes people don't watch other teams often, and probably rarely pay attention to a guy like this, so now that he's a Jet, must be better than anything they had.   Not always the case.   It's one of those cheap roster spots this offseason and they need to fill up the roster.

Very true can't disagree with anything here. As for the signing I think we got good value but not really a good player if the plan is to use him as guard. Last time he was any good he was playing tackle.But ha I'm glad for him as he's a Bronx guy and get to come home. We sign Boothe then we can welcome a Queens guy. Now we have to just sign another out of BROOKLYN !!!

Archived