Jets Sign NT Antonio Garay

CrazyCarl40

The Jets have continued to make moves during free agency today signing running back Mike Goodson, offensive lineman Willie Colon and now defensive tackle Antonio Garay to a one-year deal:

Garay appeared in eight games having 16 tackles and one sack for the San Diego Chargers during the 2012 season.

With the Jets releasing long time defensive tackle Sione Po’uha, Garay will add some depth behind likely starter Kenrick Ellis along with second year player Damon Harrison.

Per Adam Schefter the Jets are replenishing their depleted defense by signing the often injured 33-year old Antonio Garay on a one-year deal. We’re a little frustrated with Garay who as recently as 2010 was our second ranked defensive tackle on the year. He has the ability to generate a ton of pressure from base and nickel packages, topping the pass rushing productivity charts that year and second a year later. The problem for him has been staying on the field. He only managed 151 snaps last year.

Like this signing a lot. This is a I support Rex Ryan signing by Idzik.

How's that?  Garay has never been a run stuffer or a guy who needs more than one blocker.  He is an atypical NT who, earlier in his career, could put pressure on the QB.  Lately, he hasn't done that so well and still stinks against the run.

Yup, cos they all have the very important factor, their cheap :-) Welcome to total rebuild, all these guys are one year stop gaps.

I have no issues with one year stop gaps.  I think it's funny that the guys they signed or are thinking of signing seem to have had serious injury issues. Or in Gerrard's case, missed every game in 2011, 2012 before even playing.  

It's one thing to sign somebody on the cheap who is some backup, practice squad, 3rd stringer, or old.   it's another to sign guys who missed serious time the last few years.    Being cheap is one thing,  taking a  risk that these guys even stay healthy is just weird.   A freak injury or one or two guys, but ever single guy so far, Just weird.   Like the requirement is to only sign guys who missed seasons or something.

Means nothing really in the long run, but you never know. When you bring on nothing but guys who have had serious season ending injuries, and maybe more than once,  what happens if a few go down in August and can't play at all?    You can say that can happen to anybody, but statistically speaking, the guys they've brought on have a higher chance of missing time considering their pasts.

Per Adam Schefter the Jets are replenishing their depleted defense by signing the often injured 33-year old Antonio Garay on a one-year deal. We’re a little frustrated with Garay who as recently as 2010 was our second ranked defensive tackle on the year. He has the ability to generate a ton of pressure from base and nickel packages, topping the pass rushing productivity charts that year and second a year later. The problem for him has been staying on the field. He only managed 151 snaps last year.

How many snaps can they expect an old guy to play anyway? I'll take 10-15 a game.  Half the time you play a 4-3.  Ellis was not bad, his knee was a mess last year.  And who knows, they may sign another old nose for a mil.

How many snaps can they expect an old guy to play anyway? I'll take 10-15 a game.  Half the time you play a 4-3.  Ellis was not bad, his knee was a mess last year.  And who knows, they may sign another old nose for a mil.

They still have that kid who was a rookie last year, What was his name?  Harrison?  Guy is huge, played great in camp, got a few snaps at the end of the season.

Interesting that they replace two premier run-stuffing DT's, with a pass-rushing NT.

We could be looking at a new defensive wrinkle...and possibly, have a really good feeling about going into the season with Ellis and 'Snacks'.

Has anybody heard anything about Isaako Aaitui or whatever his name was?  He is the guy they picked up off waivers from the Dolphins and then cut immediately because his knee was a mess.  320 lb NT that they cut Tevesau to pick up.  I don't necessarily expect him back, but I'd think he'd end up in the league.  I guess he was really wrecked. The Dolphins supposedly wanted him on the practice squad, but he tore his knee up super bad in his first practice and the Jets cut him with no responsibility.  I'm not sure about his rehab.

How does picking up these stopgap guys play out when it comes to comp picks for lost free agents? I mean, does getting Garay nullify a comp pick for pouha? Or are comp picks solely for RFAs? Someone help me out here? Spermy? Jason? Anyone?

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d827e13f2/article/nfl-distributes-compensatory-draft-picks-to-15-clubs

Doubt anyone the Jets have signed is a significant dent into landing a comp pick. I could see a comp pick or two between DeVito and Landry and the guys Los Yets have signed, but I know nothing.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d827e13f2/article/nfl-distributes-compensatory-draft-picks-to-15-clubs

Doubt anyone the Jets have signed is a significant dent into landing a comp pick. I could see a comp pick or two between DeVito and Landry and the guys Los Yets have signed, but I know nothing.

Thanks.  It may be an incomplete answer, but it's more than I had.

Archived