flgreen

Revis collects $1 million

March, 16, 2013
Mar 16

10:38

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com
Recommend0

Darrelle Revis made $55 million in his first six seasons. Now he's up to $56 million.

Per a clause in his contract, the Jets' star cornerback earned a $1 million roster bonus Saturday. Revis won't actually receive the money until later in the calendar year, but it belongs to him and, yes, it now counts on the salary cap.

The only way for the Jets to have avoided the bonus was to cut or trade him before Saturday. Maybe you heard, there's a chance he may be traded. If that happens, he'll walk away with $1 million from Woody Johnson's 2013 payroll.

Revis also has a $1 million workout bonus (late June) and a $1 million reporting bonus (late July) in his contract. As a refresher, check out the salary-cap implications of a trade. Keep in mind his current cap charge is $9 million.

TRADE BEFORE JUNE 1

2013 cap hit: $13 million

2014 cap hit: $0

2013 compensation: $1 million

TRADE AFTER JUNE 1, BEFORE TRAINING CAMP

2013 cap hit: $5 million

2014 cap hit: $9 million

2013 compensation: $2 million*

TRADE AFTER START OF TRAINING CAMP

2013 cap hit: $6 million

2014 cap hit: $9 million

2013 compensation: $3 million

Note: Once the regular season begins, Revis makes $176,471 per week. Each week, that amount would be added to the 2013 cap hit if he's traded.

* Includes $1 million workout bonus. If he's traded after June 1 and before the bonus is earned, it would be a total of $1 million compensation and a $4 million cap hit.

Reports are that Idzik never even spoke to his agent and Woody has soured on them since the last holdout.

I want him resigned, but it does not sound like Woody is willing to pay him.

So cap wise for the future it would be best to move him before 6/1 or do you think they can get more for him if he looks like Revis in camp?

If he did not get hurt last year do you think he would be gone and for how much?

Reports are that Idzik never even spoke to his agent and Woody has soured on them since the last holdout.

I want him resigned, but it does not sound like Woody is willing to pay him.

So cap wise for the future it would be best to move him before 6/1 or do you think they can ger more for him if he looks like Revis in camp?

If he did not get hurt last year do you think he would be gone and for how much?

Woody isn’t paying him, he doesn’t trust that he will honor his contract.  Bad thing is, judging by what the other CB’s are receiving in FA, I don’t know if anyone is.

With that said I would trade him June 2.  Spreads the cap hit over 2 years.  Jets can’t take a $13,000,000 million dollar cap hit this year

Woody isn’t paying him, he doesn’t trust that he will honor his contract. Bad this is, judging by what the other CB’s are receiving in FA, I don’t know if anyone is.

With that said I would trade him June 2. Spreads the cap hit over 2 years. Jets can’t take a $13,000,000 million dollar cap hit this year

I hear you, but they are going about it like this year is already over so...

I hear you, but they are going about it like this year is already over so...

I don’t think so at all.  I think they are gambling on the players they are signing, but they are all good starting level players, if they stay healthy.

If all these guys are still healthy in December, Idzik will be GM of the year, and the Jets will be in the play offs.

If they are all on IR in October, the Jets will be in the Clowney/Bridgewater sweepstakes.  

I don’t think so at all. I think they are gambling on the players they are signing, but they are all good starting level players, if they stay healthy.

If all these guys are still healthy in December, Idzik will be GM of the year, and the Jets will be in the play offs.

If they are all on IR in October, the Jets will be in the Clowney/Bridgewater sweepstakes.

I'll probably be gone either way. :)

Yes, the real world where Revis is a hugely better player who happens to be way more consistent. 

thats not the real world. Theres no one arguing revis isnt great what im arguing is that the drop off between cro and talib and cro and revis wouldnt be that big.

In madden with no cap id like revis but for the jets right now i think it would have been a better option

thats not the real world. Theres no one arguing revis isnt great what im arguing is that the drop off between cro and talib and cro and revis wouldnt be that big.

In madden with no cap id like revis but for the jets right now i think it would have been a better option

In real life with a well managed cap 2013 and 2014 (the last two years of Cromartie's contract) is >>>> than Cromartie/Talib in 2013. Even then, you can still trade Cromartie. 

oh yea but why does that matter. Why spend twice the price or more when you can get similar results.

Similar results is being very generous. With Revis in 2011 the Jets were 2nd against the pass, 4th against the run, and 2nd overall according to FO. In 2012 they were 10th against the pass, 15th against the run (lowest for a Wrecks D in everz possibly), and a distant 9th overall. Hell, the year he missed 3 games they finished 7th against pass and fell to fif overall in the D rankings. Revis = Impact. Talib is similar in that he's an above average NFL CB when on the field. From there Revis is at least 400,000 times better. 

Similar results is being very generous. With Revis in 2011 the Jets were 2nd against the pass, 4th against the run, and 2nd overall according to FO. In 2012 they were 10th against the pass, 15th against the run (lowest for a Wrecks D in everz possibly), and a distant 9th overall. Hell, the year he missed 3 games they finished 7th against pass and fell to fif overall in the D rankings. Revis = Impact. Talib is similar in that he's an above average NFL CB when on the field. From there Revis is at least 400,000 times better. 

those stats are not bad at all with all the other things factored in besides the fact that los jets lost there #1 corner and didnt replace him just slid everyone over. Revis is better but i think there are diminishing returns in the fact that even if revis is 4 times better then talib he doesnt make the team 4 times better

those stats are not bad at all with all the other things factored in besides the fact that los jets lost there #1 corner and didnt replace him just slid everyone over. Revis is better but i think there are diminishing returns in the fact that even if revis is 4 times better then talib he doesnt make the team 4 times better

Ah, this is the reality part. When you find the QB or Team 4x Times Better Guy that will be eating up payroll while Revis is a Yet then point me out to him. Until then Revis being better than Talib by a whole lot is more significant. 

Everyone losing a player midseason is sliding everyone over. That's what an injury usually does. 

Woody isn’t paying him, he doesn’t trust that he will honor his contract.  Bad thing is, judging by what the other CB’s are receiving in FA, I don’t know if anyone is.

With that said I would trade him June 2.  Spreads the cap hit over 2 years.  Jets can’t take a $13,000,000 million dollar cap hit this year

I would do the opposite.  This year seems to be a "punt" year anyway, so punt 100% and be ready with tons of dollars in 2014.

Ah, this is the reality part. When you find the QB or Team 4x Times Better Guy that will be eating up payroll while Revis is a Yet then point me out to him. Until then Revis being better than Talib by a whole lot is more significant. 

Everyone losing a player midseason is sliding everyone over. That's what an injury usually does. 

I think your look at it in a macro sense. There is no one guy there are multiple guys talib is one of em that him coupled with some others would make the team better then if it just had revis. Its not one guy or the other its multiple guys vs keeping revis. We arnt dumpibng revis and signing nnamdi for 12m

I think your look at it in a macro sense. There is no one guy there are multiple guys talib is one of em that him coupled with some others would make the team better then if it just had revis. Its not one guy or the other its multiple guys vs keeping revis. We arnt dumpibng revis and signing nnamdi for 12m

Roster spots have value to. You can say the same thing about Revis. He is one guy that can be coupled with others to build a championship, and Revis significantly more in his one roster spot than Talib does in his. We are dumping Revis and signing two Nmandis for 6 million IIRC...or 3 for 4 million...something like that. 

Roster spots have value to. You can say the same thing about Revis. He is one guy that can be coupled with others to build a championship, and Revis significantly more in his one roster spot than Talib does in his. We are dumping Revis and signing two Nmandis for 6 million IIRC...or 3 for 4 million...something like that. 

thats the point tho for the jets right now CB value is diminished. They are already good so adding another great player doesnt change the D so much as it would on a sh*tty pass defensive team so even though revis is godly his value is diminished. Grab a value pick like talib then get some guys that we can get major improvement in areas that the jets need. wouldnt it have been nice if we had the money to get ellerbe or kruger. Even if there not as good at there position as revis is there value for the jets is higher from a position and cap room perspective.

I'd prefer to put that Ellerbe/Kruger money into Revis. Average and even above average players are relatively easy to find. Kruger, Talib, and Ellerbe maybe aren't a dime a dozen but a quarter a dozen. You overvalue the mid tier and severely undervalue greatness.

That you want a 5/6 million dollar right after imagining dumping Revis should tell you about how secure you are about the state of the Jets CBs. If anyone's value is diminished in all this it is Talib then Cromartie.

I'd prefer to put that Ellerbe/Kruger money into Revis. Average and even above average players are relatively easy to find. Kruger, Talib, and Ellerbe maybe aren't a dime a dozen but a quarter a dozen. You overvalue the mid tier and severely undervalue greatness.

That you want a 5/6 million dollar right after imagining dumping Revis should tell you about how secure you are about the state of the Jets CBs. If anyone's value is diminished in all this it is Talib then Cromartie.

Cromarte is a lot better than Talib... He's also not the thug Talib is.

Quoting stats with and without Revis is misleading.  It presumes that in the absence of having Revis that the Jets would never try to upgrade the starting position opposite Cromartie and would perpetually have only a player of Wilson's production.

There are such things as CBs that are not as great as Revis but who are better than Wilson.

Of course that's misleading. So is quoting 16-20 million more often than not, and one of the two actually exists as it always was. 16-20 million is three years old at its most direct, and it was never truly direct. It survives on rumor and hearsay.

Unban, I know that Cromartie is better than Talib. Cromartie was mentioned because he has solid trade value and is the lesser CB on the team with two high end CBs.

Of course that's misleading. So is quoting 16-20 million more often than not, and one of the two actually exists as it always was. 16-20 million is three years old at its most direct, and it was never truly direct. It survives on rumor and hearsay.

Unban, I know that Cromartie is better than Talib. Cromartie was mentioned because he has solid trade value and is the lesser CB on the team with two high end CBs.

Not anymore after they redid his deal. 

I guess its difference of team strategy between us then. I just think your overvaluing 1 big name player over a solid team overall. For me the only big name player thats important is a qb and we obviously dont have that

Archived