Coach of the Year

Nick Ferraro

Coach of the Year Candidates

1. Lovie Smith

2. Marvin Lewis

3. Tony Dungy

4. Nick Saban

5. Jon Gruden

It's ironic. After putting this list together, I realized the top three guys were African-American. In a league where black coaches couldn't get a sniff for so long, that is news. You have to wonder how many times teams passed on qualifiied guys who could have produced better seasons. I hope this year's results will continue to change things.

Marvin Lewis. The AFC North is a tougher division, and he almost beat the Colts in Indy with less talent. He's taken the Bengals from laughing stock (2-14) to elite in 3 seasons.

Boy, the Jets hired the wrong black coach, eh?

I'm with 80 on this one. Marvin Lewis has done one hell of a job with the Bengals.

Coach of the Year Candidates

1. Lovie Smith

2. Marvin Lewis

3. Tony Dungy

4. Nick Saban

5. Jon Gruden

I'd have to go with Marvin Lewis. With Dungy, you have to be wondering what took him so long. That Colts offense is awesome and all he he had to do was give Manning a little defense.

Being a Bears fan, I am partial to Lovie.

All are deserving, but Lovie not only fielded the best D, his team thrived with a rookie.

No way Lewis, Dungy, Saban or Gruden get the same results with a raw qb like Orton. In fact, the Bears often won DESPITE him.

Smith also turned neophytes Tillman and Vasher into studs, and five of the six Bears that made the Pro Bowl came from the D he instituted.

Unlike DRob, Smith has also coahced Harris into a stud Pro Bowl DT in only his second year. Jury is still out on our man....

I'm gonna say Bill Cowher. Look at he does year in and year out-his team gets raided by other teams-and they manage to bounce back without a whole lot of superstars.

Just thought he was worth mentioning. A lot of coaches could look like geniuses with Peyton, Freeney, and compnay...

They will get votes, but they're not as deserving this year. Holmgren has done a pretty good job. Mostly he has to get credit for dumping guys that were holding the team back, and for balancing big egos like Shaun Alexander.

The fact is that both teams have inflated records because the teams in their divisions absolutely stink. The Pats beat Pittsburgh in September, and beat a decent Tampa Bay team last week. There isn't another quality win on their schedule all year. The Seahawks have had an absolute dream schedule.

Lovie Smith has done the most with the least. His offense it terrible, and most of the season was played with a rookie backup QB. The NFC north is pathetic as well, but consider that the Bears were 5-11 last year, and they just locked down the #2 seed in the playoffs. All the other candidates have much more to work with than Smith has.

Archived