FlGreen's 7 round mock draft with comments

flgreen

That's all well and good, but I wouldn't say the Jets are an exclusive 3-4 team and the trend this offseason looks to be more toward a 4-3 or at least a hybrid based on the personel that they've let go and brought on. Jones wouldn't be good in a 4-3 and while he may be a great pass rusher, the Jets need versatile players who can do more than just that. Especially in Rex's scheme.

That's all well and good, but I wouldn't say the Jets are an exclusive 3-4 team and the trend this offseason looks to be more toward a 4-3 or at least a hybrid based on the personel that they've let go and brought on. Jones wouldn't be good in a 4-3 and while he may be a great pass rusher, the Jets need versatile players who can do more than just that. Especially in Rex's scheme.

Possibly your best point of contention...but I'm assuming in their 4 man front schemes, he's just going to be pinning his ears and going after the QB and he doesnt necessarily have to have a hand in the dirt.  But, I'll budge a little and say this has a point...but not enough for you to pass on him.  He's a game changing pass rusher...thats all that matters.

lol so a linebacker getting destroyed against Alabama counts now?

He didn’t get destroyed against Bama.  As JiF mentioned he had 3 TFL 2 Sacks, and a forced fumble. Pretty fair stats against one of the best OL’s I can remember.

He didn’t dominate, the way he did against the Gators, and several other very good teams.  Some other players on UGA’s D did.

He, at worst, held his own

actually the more i read about jarvis jones the more im scared. Im kinda afraid so much attention is going to the injury no one is realy focusing on his physical attributes and or mental attributes.

i guess just gotta wait and see his pro day

I don't love the Jones pick either, but can't hate on it.

He didn’t get destroyed against Bama. As JiF mentioned he had 3 TFL 2 Sacks, and a forced fumble. Pretty fair stats against one of the best OL’s I can remember.

He didn’t dominate, the way he did against the Gators, and several other very good teams. Some other players on UGA’s D did.

He, at worst, held his own

He got destroyed by Alabama. Michael Williams, their TE, basically neutralized him for half the game.

And every pass rusher feasted on Florida this year.

Not really.

Very true.

The forced fumble happened on the sack, where Mccarron double pumps and the HB lets him by. The second sack is a total coverage sack. He played like sh*t vs. Bama. None of the top prospects looked good vs Bama. But Jones looked the worst imo.

Fwiw I think Jarvis Jones will probably be a good pro but i think he'll be more of a good all around player than any kind of great pass rusher.

I don't see the top 10 potential for greatness though. I don't think he creates enough impact plays himself.

He's a solid, scheme diverse type of guy to me.

Hmmmm

Wonder why you didn’t show the full profile?  Now the rest of the story.  From the same source you used.  I couldn't copy and paste Draft Scouts analysis, who has him as the best player in this draft because of copyright

Analysis

Strengths

Versatile linebacker with a chance to play inside or outside. Possesses a very good first step to pressure tackles’ upfield shoulder.

Also has closing speed to finish the deal and short-area quickness to keep contain outside and crash down on inside runs. Strong tackler with excellent length and upper-body strength to wrap up ball carriers. Gets under the pads of tackles, keeps his feet churning, to maintain leverage whether holding the edge or bulling his man backwards. Brings heavy hands, can rip off to get around the edge or cut inside to stop quarterbacks from stepping up in the pocket. Works through double-teams if the quarterback hangs onto the ball in the pocket. Holds his ground against pulling guards and fullbacks. Capable of locking up tight ends off the edge in coverage, also sorts out multiple routes in his direction to make a play on the correct one. Gets his hands up to affect passing lanes.

Bottom Line

The Peach State native suffered a neck injury his true freshman year at USC, but returned home when cleared by Georgia doctors; the consensus All-American impressed scouts in 2011 with his ability to rush the passer and he didn’t let up in 2012, leading the nation in sacks, tackles for loss and forced fumbles. Jones also showed the versatility to play the run and get the job done in coverage. He enters the NFL with some questions with his struggles disengaging at the point of attack and limited length and growth potential, but the production speaks for itself and, as Bruce Irvin reminded us last April, pass rushers don’t last long on draft day. Whether or not he would be able to fit in a 4-3 defense like Irvin would depend on how he is used, but he would fit best as a pass rush OLB in a 3-4 like in college. While his talent makes him a first-round pick, the medicals will be key to truly evaluating where Jones will be drafted.

Alabama has the best OL in the country.  If the Jets could get 3 of their OL, they would be the best OL in the NFL.  Did you see what they did to the Irish in the National Championship game?

Here’s the highlights of the Alabama game.  Yes, they tried to isolate him, and run right at him.  He faced double teams all day, and still had a good deal of success against  the best OL in the country.  It was a great game, that I watched.  Saying Jones got “eaten alive” is a major stretch.

1:18 Jones beats a double team, gets sack, and causes fumble

2:15 Brings good pressure.  QB steps up for interior sack

3:15 From the 1 yard line, Bama runs right at, and double teams Jones.  He holds the POA turns the play inside for the stuff and fumble

6.07  Taken wide by OT, comes back with great hustle and gets sack

10.24  Another short yardage play on 3rd and 1.  Again Jones holds the POA and turns the play inside for a stuff

All in all, considering who the opponent was this is not a bad video for him.  Most of the damage was done up the middle.  Jones was a part of why this was such a good game

Fwiw I think Jarvis Jones will probably be a good pro but i think he'll be more of a good all around player than any kind of great pass rusher.

I don't see the top 10 potential for greatness though. I don't think he creates enough impact plays himself.

He's a solid, scheme diverse type of guy to me.

Impact plays are impact plays.  Even the greats, you hear nothing from all game and then BOOM!!!

GFY

Impact plays are impact plays. Even the greats, you hear nothing from all game and then BOOM!!!

GFY

I've watched that game live and on youtube twice. You bring up 4 plays while neglecting the rest of the game...when he was getting manhandled by the TE.

He's overrated. He's was a very good football player on a team with a bunch of pro talent.

On his one big play....Could McCarron hang on to ball any longer on the fumble sack? the play was breaking down. Outstanding effort by Jones, but high motor guys don't go top 10.

Now take your 4.92 and go touch yourself to it.

I've watched that game live and on youtube twice. You bring up 4 plays while neglecting the rest of the game...when he was getting manhandled by the TE.

He's overrated. He's was a very good football player on a team with a bunch of pro talent.

On his one big play....Could McCarron hang on to ball any longer on the fumble sack? the play was breaking down. Outstanding effort by Jones, but high motor guys don't go top 10.

Now take your 4.92 and go touch yourself to it.

I watched that game live and on youtube too.  I did not neglect the rest of the game.  I acknowledge that he didnt have his best game but the plays the did make, were impact plays.  Thats the type of player he is and thats not uncommon.  Sacks, FF, TFL...thats what he does and it always seems to come when they need it.  Granted, in that game he got abused when Bama started really kicking the run game in to over drive during the 2nd half.  He was going one on one with a TE and only beat him a few times and got stood up or washed out a bunch.  But that was also some of the best blocking by a unit I've ever seen, they were incredible.  The whole D was gassed. 

He was more disruptive than you're giving him credit for.  That was not a pretty game for any UGA defensive player and I dont think you can judge a prospect on one game, which he still had a pretty big impact on.  Guys that play like him will get handled a lot, but when they dont, look out.  I think he can be that player in the NFL.  Kinda like a mini-Suggs. 

actually the more i read about jarvis jones the more im scared. Im kinda afraid so much attention is going to the injury no one is realy focusing on his physical attributes and or mental attributes.

i guess just gotta wait and see his pro day

I kind of agree with you , Jarvis Jones is too risky at 9 and he not going to last too many years , I would like the Jets to pick another player or trade down and gain more picks

I watched that game live and on youtube too. I did not neglect the rest of the game. I acknowledge that he didnt have his best game but the plays the did make, were impact plays. Thats the type of player he is and thats not uncommon. Sacks, FF, TFL...thats what he does and it always seems to come when they need it. Granted, in that game he got abused when Bama started really kicking the run game in to over drive during the 2nd half. He was going one on one with a TE and only beat him a few times and got stood up or washed out a bunch. But that was also some of the best blocking by a unit I've ever seen, they were incredible. The whole D was gassed.

He was more disruptive than you're giving him credit for. That was not a pretty game for any UGA defensive player and I dont think you can judge a prospect on one game, which he still had a pretty big impact on. Guys that play like him will get handled a lot, but when they dont, look out. I think he can be that player in the NFL. Kinda like a mini-Suggs.

I agree, not meaning to judge him on one game, but we agree it wasnt nearly as good a game for him on paper vs. real time. That was my only point. Mingo and Moore didn't have great games either, I have no idea the final stats but they both looked better than Jones vs Bama

My point isn't about hating on Jones overall. Just as a top 10 pick. Suggs was such an exception to the rule, I'm not ready to take that kind of leap of faith with Jones at 9.

I'd rather the more elite athlete + football player or the "more sure thing" like Warmack top 10.

Guys like Jones (great college player + average athletes) I'd rather late first 2nd round and so on.

I agree, not meaning to judge him on one game, but we agree it wasnt nearly as good a game for him on paper vs. real time. That was my only point. Mingo and Moore didn't have great games either, I have no idea the final stats but they both looked better than Jones vs Bama

My point isn't about hating on Jones overall. Just as a top 10 pick. Suggs was such an exception to the rule, I'm not ready to take that kind of leap of faith with Jones at 9.

I'd rather the more elite athlete + football player or the "more sure thing" like Warmack top 10.

Guys like Jones (great college player + average athletes) I'd rather late first 2nd round and so on.

I feel ya.  And generally I would too but this dude is special.  I dont have a crystal ball but I'd say he's going to have the best career of all the 3-4 OLB's in this draft. 

Jets should take either DE, Ezekial Ansah or OLB, Jarvis Jones with the 9th pick. I like Ansah he bigger but Jones might be faster.  Now if somehow Jets get the 13th pick from denver you would think they need a CB, after trading Revis to Denver. How about CB, Xavier Rhodes, others I like are TE's Zach Ertz or Tyler Eifert ans RB, Eddie Lacy.

I'm hoping Jets will take either OLB, Jarvis Jones or DE, Ezekial Ansah with the 9th pick. I like Ansah better he bigger but I think Jones is faster. Now if the Jets somehow get the 13th pick from denver I like either TE's Zach Ertz or TE, Tyler Eifert, or RB, Eddie Lacy.

2nd Rd, Jets are going need a Safties in a big way S, Matt Elam or Eric Reid if they are still on the board in the 2nd rd. 3rd either OT, Dallas Thomas or RB, Giovani Barnard. 4th Rd, G, Kyle Long, or QB,Mike Glennon. 5th Rd, S,Shamarko Thomas, or WR, Kenny Still 6th Rd OT, Rick Wagner. WR, Aaron Dobson or WR, Aaron Mellette. 7th Rd, OT, Braden Brown.

Jets should take either DE, Ezekial Ansah or OLB, Jarvis Jones with the 9th pick. I like Ansah he bigger but Jones might be faster.  Now if somehow Jets get the 13th pick from denver you would think they need a CB, after trading Revis to Denver. How about CB, Xavier Rhodes, others I like are TE's Zach Ertz or Tyler Eifert ans RB, Eddie Lacy.

Than who?  Vontaze Burfict?

• 4 weeks later...

Jets should take either OLB, Barkevious Mingo or if CB, Dee Milliner falls to the 9th pick. 13th pick I would take CB, Xavier Rhodes if Jets don't get Milliner or OLB, Jarvis Jones if Jets don't get Mingo at the 9th pick jets could trades down from here too. Then maybe take TE, Tyler Eifert or RT, D.J.Fluker or a S, Kenny Vaccaro or S, Eric Reid. Can't Wait Go Jets

Archived