What if Holmes goes on PUP list?

Bugg

http://imgflip.com/i/tuy9

What's the ******* secret to posting gif's on this fancy new board?

Same as the secret to using the new quote feature: bumble around futilely before finally hitting "post" and hoping for the best, then spending the next three minutes madly clicking and reclicking the edit button in a vain attempt to bring some coherence to your post before some wag quotes it and makes you look like a dunce.

Same as the secret to using the new quote feature: bumble around futilely before finally hitting "post" and hoping for the best, then spending the next three minutes madly clicking and reclicking the edit button in a vain attempt to bring some coherence to your post before some wag quotes it and makes you look like a dunce.

Fack.

Im not trying to get on your nerves here, but I just showed you how it has ZERO affect on Jets 2014 cap. The only affect of cutting him in 2013 would be not having a starting WR this year. Jets net cap space to be used will be the same in 2014 REGARDLESS of when he's released.

""If Jets release Holmes in 2013, they will endure a

$10mil cap hit, diminishing their entire cap space and thus would have

no carry forward towards 2014, resulting in their adjusted cap space to

be exactly $100 mil.

If Jets release Holmes in 2014 when their adjust cap

would be $110 mil, With 2 years still on his contract, he will count

for $10 mil in dead money, resulting in usable cap space to $100 mil. ""

Read and not understood. I understand what Sperm is saying which is the prorated bonus being accelerated. I'm not understanding what you are talking about with the carryover rules.  Is this related to the restructure?  Are you saying they will not accelerate the signing bonus if they don't want to?

For you Shane.

Read and not understood. I understand what Sperm is saying which is the prorated bonus being accelerated. I'm not understanding what you are talking about with the carryover rules.  Is this related to the restructure?  Are you saying they will not accelerate the signing bonus if they don't want to?

For you Shane.

For you Shane.

Hahaha.  It looked fine in the preview! Now it doesn't exist!

For you Shane.

The carryover I mention is for the team's cap space ONLY.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8016480/nfl-salary-cap-carryover-rewards-smart-management

Right now, Jets have $8mil in cap space. If by end of the year, Jets have $5mil of cap space left, that cap space gets carried forward to 2014 as additional space, of course. 2014 NFL salary cap is projected at around $124 mil. With the Jets carryover, their adjusted salary cap would be $129 mil. If Jets release Holmes in 2014, he will count for $2.5 mil in dead money against the cap, so the usable cap space for Jets would come down to $126.5 (129-2.5). So far so good right?

If Jets decide to say goodbye to Holmes right now, they will incur a cap hit of about $2.5mil. If Jets had $5mil in cap space, it would be reduced to 2.5 mil in space (5 - 2.5). That $2.5 mil space will get carried forward and added to 2014s NFL cap of $124 mil, resulting in $126.5 mil of usable cap space for Jets (124 + 2.5 = 126.5). The only figure in both the scenarios I presented are assumed are Jets having $5mil of cap space left over before we do anything with Holmes in 2013.

The only issue with releasing Holmes in 2013 is that, we will now have to fill that roster spot and even an undrafted rookie will take $350k. So the Jets, who would have carried over $2.5mil of cap space to 2014 as I highlighted above, will now carry forward $2.15mil and will result in a 2014 usable cap space of $126.15 mil (instead of 126.5 mil). Not major, but we are also talking about letting Holmes and covering his roster spot by an undrafted rookie. It makes absolutely ZERO sense to release Holmes even if he comes back at 50% and plays as the #4 WR, making $7.5 mil. Jets have the exact same issue with Sanchez' contract.

You actually expect them to carry over cap space?  I can't imagine they won't spend damn near everything in 2013.

Did u get the point though? I merely giving an example, but I do expect Jets to carry over 2-3 mil to next year.

Did u get the point though? I merely giving an example, but I do expect Jets to carry over 2-3 mil to next year.

I think I get the point, but I'm not sure how relevant it is.  Nobody is disputing that whether they cut Holmes now or in 2014 that the total amount of cap eaten is the same, just whether it will be this year or next.  I'm not sure they will be carrying much over this year. OTOH, it is unlikely they cut Holmes this year anyway, especially with him taking the cut. 

I think I get the point, but I'm not sure how relevant it is.  Nobody is disputing that whether they cut Holmes now or in 2014 that the total amount of cap eaten is the same, just whether it will be this year or next.  I'm not sure they will be carrying much over this year. OTOH, it is unlikely they cut Holmes this year anyway, especially with him taking the cut. 

Exactly my point. Holmes and Sanchez are not going anywhere, unless another team wants to trade for an injure, overrated, overpaid WR, and an underachieving, overpaid QB.

Exactly my point. Holmes and Sanchez are not going anywhere, unless another team wants to trade for an injure, overrated, overpaid WR, and an underachieving, overpaid QB.

Don't think anybody is arguing that.  We were just questioning the cap space discussion.  I don't know about others, but I find it unlikely there will be significant carryover from 2013. 

Im not trying to get on your nerves here, but I just showed you how it has ZERO affect on Jets 2014 cap. The only affect of cutting him in 2013 would be not having a starting WR this year. Jets net cap space to be used will be the same in 2014 REGARDLESS of when he's released.

""If Jets release Holmes in 2013, they will endure a

$10mil cap hit, diminishing their entire cap space and thus would have

no carry forward towards 2014, resulting in their adjusted cap space to

be exactly $100 mil.

If Jets release Holmes in 2014 when their adjust cap

would be $110 mil, With 2 years still on his contract, he will count

for $10 mil in dead money, resulting in usable cap space to $100 mil. ""

I wasn't immediately thinking about moving extra room forward to 2014, but then I wasn't assuming the Jets were leaving in excess of that (accelerated) amount available throughout the 2013 season with Holmes on the team.  The off-season will be over before too long and we'll all find out.

In reality (not on a message board) they wouldn't cut him anyway because Idzik would have a hard time getting anyone else to take a pay cut again later.  

Don't think anybody is arguing that.  We were just questioning the cap space discussion.  I don't know about others, but I find it unlikely there will be significant carryover from 2013. 

I depends what you define "significant" cap space is. To me, Jets will have 2-3mil of space carried forward. Thats not significant to me. Its just there for in-season reserve incase our IR list goes beyond usual (kind like in 2005 I think).

Archived