The OK draft Tavon Austin at 9 I don't care if he's small thread

T0mShane

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not really worried about the height so much, he won't be a throw it up and make him catch hit WR, so what.  

He has speed, he seems to have hands, and he's got moves.   What more could you want in a receiver?    As far as his weight, he's young, he'll probably gain about 20 pounds in a year or two by being in the NFL and eating right, exercising, taking some deer antler supplements.  That's usually how it works.  The only worry you'd have is if he got up to 200 pounds, would he still be as fast ?   Most likely, but you'd never know.  He'd be a good pick.   Whether or not it makes the Jets QB look better in 2013, who knows.

Tavon Austin and Chance Warmack seem like "safety school" picks. Ideally Mingo, Jordan or Jones falls. but if they don't these are the names you are reasonably sure will be there. And that's fine, you need to have those names in your pocket. HIstorically these guys go in the teens but Idzik seems risk adverse. He wants football players who can play. Seems reasonable. 

the funny thing is if we saw Tavon Austin at 9 this week that means he's at 8 next week. movin on up 

I'm not really worried about the height so much, he won't be a throw it up and make him catch hit WR, so what.  

He has speed, he seems to have hands, and he's got moves.   What more could you want in a receiver?    As far as his weight, he's young, he'll probably gain about 20 pounds in a year or two by being in the NFL and eating right, exercising, taking some deer antler supplements.  That's usually how it works.  The only worry you'd have is if he got up to 200 pounds, would he still be as fast ?   Most likely, but you'd never know.  He'd be a good pick.   Whether or not it makes the Jets QB look better in 2013, who knows.

Desean jackson and conventional wisdom say that you are not going to add 20 lbs to a 5'8 175ish lb frame that easily.

Watching NFL network last night Mayock doesn't see him getting out of the top 10. Said the Eagles with Chip Kelly might take him at 4.

I view it as a strong positive that you actually referred to something football-related before making a post. You go, Pac.

Watching NFL network last night Mayock doesn't see him getting out of the top 10.  Said the Eagles with Chip Kelly might take him at 4.

I view it as a strong positive that you actually referred to something football-related before making a post. You go, Pac.

Sell Out!

Rare that T0m gets hard for a guy who isn't a creamy white 6'5 TE.

I wouldn't have a problem with him at 9 though. The stutter step is absurd.

Lol. I have us taking Zachary Ertz in the second. 6'5, good athlete, long blonde hair, good kisser. Everything you want in a TE.

Desean jackson and conventional wisdom say that you are not going to add 20 lbs to a 5'8 175ish lb frame that easily.

I thought back then he was listed at 169 or something.  Also I remember thinking he was too small to be nearly the playmaker he was in school.  I was pretty wrong, and it's not like he's had Aaron Rodgers feeding him perfect strikes every play.

Don't really follow college football, so all I have to go by are write-ups by "experts" and clips like the ones in this thread.  He doesn't look unexciting.  

no doubt,the dude is electric.he has just about every positive aspect of an electric player except vision(just dont see it in the tape ive watched) and size.can the dude survive in the nfl at 170lbs? some guys can and some guys cant. thats a 50/50.does anyone know if has an injury history?at least 1 poster suggested that he can gaine weight.dudes like him dont gaine weight until thier 40's.one other thing.izzy's first pick? an undersized slot receiver and definetely not a position of need? i like the kid and wouldnt kill myself if he was the 9th pick, but i think the jets could do better

It would not make sense to use a 1st  round pick for a receiver. Especially an undersized one. Jets need more big nasty football players not smurfs. I don't care how many moves this  guy has. Dude is gonna get busted in half by a linebacker or safety before he makes 3 yrs. in the league.

It would not make sense to use a 1st  round pick for a receiver. Especially an undersized one. Jets need more big nasty football players not smurfs. I don't care how many moves this  guy has. Dude is gonna get busted in half by a linebacker or safety before he makes 3 yrs. in the league.

Nerp. Can't hit what you can't see. Tavon Austin has never been tackled, and he never will be.  He's the best pick for us and will ignite an offense sorely lacking playmakers. 

I don't know where this idea comes from that we don't already have a good offensive line.  We do, and all we need is 1 starting guard to complete it. Not a tackle, but a guard. Even that is assuming that Ducasse is a guaranteed no to start.  You can get a decent guard in the 3rd, 4th or even 5th (I think that's where we got Slauson). What's better, Slauson and Moore are both still out there as far as I know. I'm not saying to avoid OL altogether, just target it lower. We have an LT that is easily top 10, maybe top 5 at times. We have a top 3 center. We have some beef to go around them, we don't have to go crazy on that.

Go out and get playmakers!!! A high ranked WR, TE, a WR/RB hybrid Percy-Harvin type like this guy Austin and a fast OLB that can rush the passer. Go get some speed and explosiveness in this draft!!!

If anyone thinks that the reason our offense struggled so bad was OL, they are sorely mistaken. Obviously QB was a big deal but so were playmakers. Who was Sanchez throwing to most of the season? Schilens, Cumberland, Clyde Gates and Mardy Gilliyard? WTF kind of weapons are those???? And Shonn Greene running the ball? Eh, he's ok as a complimentary piece, but he's not a playmaker.

Wasn't Devine hurt and unable to run at the combine?  He might have stuck in the league, but he walked out of the Eagles camp.  MM is the guy that had him in, so if they are the same player I would imagine he is at least interested in Austin. I would say injuries, weak senior season and more RB than WR = < Austin.

I saw this question on a different board and I'll ask it here.

How is Tavon Austin supposedly awesome while Noel Devine was garbage? They are basically the same player, no?

Tavon

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2012&org=768&player=1

Devine

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2010&org=768&player=7

Undersized backs have a harder transition than undersized receivers. Duh.

I like Austin, but he seems way more sideline than Santana. His self preservation instinct is admirable, but still...

Santana Moss was a track star playing wideout, IMO. You don't get that sense from Austin.i certainly haven't read anything about him being soft. Moss would pull himself out of games for hangnails.

Archived