•  

Welcome to JetNation.com

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to JetNation.com, your home for New York Jets talk. We are an independent site, which means we aren't affiliated with the NY Jets or SNY. The opinions here are never censored. We want you to join in on the conversation, but don't worry this is a simple and FREE process. Be apart of JetNation.com by signing in or creating an account. When you create an account, you can also opt to use your existing Facebook or Twitter login.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
Also be sure to check us out on Facebook and Twitter.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Jarvis Jones butchers pro-day workout

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:33 PM

Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones ran a 4.92 in the 40-yard dash at his Pro Day on Thursday.
Jones also completed 20 bench press reps to go along with a 9-foot-3 broad jump. It's an underwhelming performance, and the forty time is defensive tackle-esque. Jones wasn't expected to wow scouts with his forty. He plays much faster on film, but Thursday's results coupled with spotty medicals might push Jones into the bottom of the first round.

I still think he's going to be a very solid player in the NFL, but running like a defensive tackle as n OLB is not going to help you go top ten, even if you did dominate the best conference in all of college football.  He's really patterning himself quite closely to Terrell Suggs.

#2 HessStation

HessStation

FightThePower

• Members
  • 24,505 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

Jones in the 2nd round would be sweet!

#3 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

He's really patterning himself quite closely to Terrell Suggs.

agree which is why he's not gonna fall to the 20s or whatever. I still see him as a top 10 pick. 

My posts have to get worse, so they can get better.

#4 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

agree which is why he's not gonna fall to the 20s or whatever. I still see him as a top 10 pick. 

I agree that he should, but I just feel that teems fall in love with those numbers, combined with the health and I dunno if he'll go top ten.  I know courtney upshaw isn't in the same category as Jones, but he fell like a rock when he showed up and had a disappointing proday.  Regardless, I think the jets could be in very solid shape to land jones, who I still think is the best defensive player in the draft, if teams don't like these numbers.  It'd be a rare steal for the jets.

#5 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,622 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

LOL. Please don't take him.  Please.

#6 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

LOL. Please don't take him.  Please.

You're always just such a ray of sunshine aren't ya CC??

#7 CrazyCarl40

CrazyCarl40

3rd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 11,622 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

You're always just such a ray of sunshine aren't ya CC??

Depends on the subject. Not much encouraging about the Jets right now. I'll talk for hours about how good the penguins are right now though.

#8 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,137 posts
  • LocationSomewhere between Heaven and Hell

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones ran a 4.92 in the 40-yard dash at his Pro Day on Thursday.
Jones also completed 20 bench press reps to go along with a 9-foot-3 broad jump. It's an underwhelming performance, and the forty time is defensive tackle-esque. Jones wasn't expected to wow scouts with his forty. He plays much faster on film, but Thursday's results coupled with spotty medicals might push Jones into the bottom of the first round.

I still think he's going to be a very solid player in the NFL, but running like a defensive tackle as n OLB is not going to help you go top ten, even if you did dominate the best conference in all of college football.  He's really patterning himself quite closely to Terrell Suggs.

Ha!  I didnt see this thread and I just compared him to a smaller Suggs arguing with Hess in the other thread. 

Like the article said, the 40 time was expected but that's bad.  Still, he's a player who has game speed and its jumps out at you.  He's not like a Te'o who looks slow and the verifies it by running slow.  

Posted Image

#9 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,137 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

I agree that he should, but I just feel that teems fall in love with those numbers, combined with the health and I dunno if he'll go top ten.  I know courtney upshaw isn't in the same category as Jones, but he fell like a rock when he showed up and had a disappointing proday.  Regardless, I think the jets could be in very solid shape to land jones, who I still think is the best defensive player in the draft, if teams don't like these numbers.  It'd be a rare steal for the jets.

I dont think Upshaw is a fair comparison.  He wasnt slated as a potential top 3 pick.  And he wasnt an eye popping athlete, just a sound well rounded LB like a Te'o.

And I'm with you and bit, I'm still dont think twice about taking him at 9 if he's there.

Posted Image

#10 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,677 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

Suggs was younger, bigger, and healthier than Jones coming out. If there's a Suggs-esque prospect in this draft it's between Werner and Moore.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#11 BroadwayJoe12

BroadwayJoe12

JN's Rust Cohle

• Members
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Depends on the subject. Not much encouraging about the Jets right now. I'll talk for hours about how good the penguins are right now though.

I'm just kidding man and f*ck your penguins.  They are playing great though; i'm just stoked my rangers won two in a row and moved back into 8th place.

#12 gsnts725

gsnts725

2nd Year Veteran

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

holy crap 4.92 ? He definitely looks faster on tape than that. Damn that's disappointing.

#13 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

Idzik was at the UGA pro day btw 

http://onlineathens....pro-day-results

#14 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,137 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

Idzik was at the UGA pro day btw 

http://onlineathens....pro-day-results

Is this the first pro-day we've heard of him at?  Rex was there too.

It makes sense to attend.  They've got, what, 5 prospects that could anywhere in rounds 1-3. 

Where in Jenkins being projected these days?  I'd love to see a rotation of him and Ellis on that line.

Edited by JiF, 22 March 2013 - 09:41 AM.

Posted Image

#15 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

Where in Jenkins being projected these days?  I'd love to see a rotation of him and Ellis on that line.

John Jenkins has had a really strong offseason.. anywhere from 25-45.  he's certainly leapfrogged Hankins

by the way I went and looked it up, Terrell Suggs was 6'3" 252 and ran a 4.88. 

#16 JiF

JiF

Say yer prayers Varmint!

• Members
  • 39,137 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

John Jenkins has had a really strong offseason.. anywhere from 25-45.  he's certainly leapfrogged Hankins

by the way I went and looked it up, Terrell Suggs was 6'3" 252 and ran a 4.88. 

Damn!  He has leapfrogged.  He was projected 3rd round the last I looked, which would be a sweat round for a talent like him....depending on what they do with 9 and whats left in the 2nd, I'd highly considered that pick.  He was like Shariff Floyd, I couldnt believe when the season broke that people didnt have them as 1st round talents. 

And I didnt say it here but the first time I compared Jones to Suggs, I called him a mini-Suggs.  I think their games mirror each other, taking size and workouts out of the factor. 

Posted Image

#17 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

And I didnt say it here but the first time I compared Jones to Suggs, I called him a mini-Suggs.  I think their games mirror each other, taking size and workouts out of the factor. 

I don't even think he's a mini suggs. He's basically Suggs. Jones 6'2" 249. Suggs 6'3" 252. 

#18 SenorGato

SenorGato

Schottenhomer

• Members
  • 20,677 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

I wish I remembered Suggs at AZ St. 2003 was the first draft I followed but I caught it during the combine on and not before.

Anyway:

Suggs:

6'3" 257

Bjoern Werner:

6'3" 266

Edited by SenorGato, 22 March 2013 - 01:47 PM.

We sick an' tired of-a your ism-skism game. Dyin' 'n' goin' to heaven in-a Jesus' name, Lord. We know when we understand:

Almighty God is a living man. - Bob Marley "Get up Stand up"

#19 Jets2013

Jets2013

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

40 number isn't good for Jones but film says he's a stud...I think at some point either a guy can ball or he can't....what matters most is will he sack the QB?  Game film says yes

#20 bitonti

bitonti

Draft Bathroom Attendant

• Members
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

if you are a Jets fan who wants Jarvis Jones, this is great news. If Jones runs anything in the 4.6 neighborhood he blasts back into the top 5 convo. 

#21 derp

derp

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

Still want no part of Jarvis Jones. Looked like a small, average athlete who benefitted from being able to pass rush every down and playing on a stacked defense and that's exactly what he's testing out as, really he's testing out worse than that. Doesn't have Suggs' power at all. Good motor and instincts and he can beat half a blocker, but I don't see a primary pass rusher who's going to live in the backfield when I watch him. See someone who makes plays when offenses forget about him. He's better off going to a defense with a legitimate pass rusher across from him than the Jets, IMO.

Also, what makes Jones better than Moore at this point? He ran a wind aided 4.92 at his pro day, and pro day numbers are always better than combine numbers. Moore ran what, a 4.95 at the combine? Moore's a little bigger, and you can throw the production stuff out there for Jones but Moore was also super productive in the same conference. And Jones has injury concerns.

#22 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

From a talent/value standpoint, I like Alec Ogletree.  He can be drafted in the mid to late first round and has a skill-set that I think would be better displayed on the outside in a 3-4. 

#23 derp

derp

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

Don't see Ogletree outside in a 3-4. Former safety, short and light (6'2, 242) for the position, more of a freelancer than an edge setter or a pass rusher. More of a 4-3 OLB, maybe inside in the 3-4.

#24 Greenseed4

Greenseed4

Eskimo Brother

• Members
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

He must play tall then, cause he looks the part. 

#25 RyanBe_Tebowing

RyanBe_Tebowing

Practice Squad Player

• Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

He must play tall then, cause he looks the part. 

Ogletree is no doubt an ILB in a 3-4 scheme

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users