Jets MUST HAVE rookies.

Villain The Foe

Tavon Austin & Tyler Eifert. 

Tavon Austin

The Jets are rebuilding and they need offensive playmakers. The Jets will have to win games on field position and what better guy to have receiving kickoffs/punts than Tavon Austin? The guys vision is absolutely outstanding. He has lightning speed to go with it and can stop/cutback on a dime. He's a threat everytime he's on the football field and I believe that  Marty Mornhinweg can develop packages for this guy that would be a pain in the ass for a defense to deal with. He's a legit  WR which we will need because reports state that Holmes isnt even running at this point. If Holmes for whatever reason isnt ready or goes down again we have no actual threat at WR on our team once again. Austin is such a threat and drafting him will set us up for the future as we eventually part ways with Holmes and hopefully develop Hill, which if that pans out would be a rather dangerous trio when you add Kerley as the slot man. Tavon Austin will make the first man miss most of the time which is a requirement in the pros. His vision will compensate for losing a great coach on special teams while also producing great field position for the Jets to actually shuffle through different play packages and keeping the defense honest. 

Tyler Eifert

Everyone seems to be in love with the Stanford kid, Zach Ertz. I say let a football team have him and go with Tyler Eifert. He's an okay blocker but blocking you can certainly teach and he will undoubtedly get stronger in the pros. What Eifert has is the ability to constantly catch the ball at its highest point no matter how many defenders is around him. He basically made his college career doing so. He'll be a match-up nightmare for just about any LB/CB/Safety and can certainly be considered "a threat". 

A TE that does what Tyler can do on the pro level? Jimmy Graham out in New Orleans. 

With Marty Mornhinweg as our OC and his ability to install an offense, develop Quarterbacks (obvious quarterback coach) and utilize the talent available to him, picking up these two guys along with Goodson as a free agent in the backfield would really set our offense on the right track going into the future. 

The Jets have really impressed me with their decision of hiring our new GM and picking up a top 3 to top 5 offensive coordinators in the entire league. 

You add dynamic players like Austin and Eifert and the Jets be more than what we all expect next year. 

It may just be the year of the Sanchez! lol. 

I don't see it happening, but boy Austin and Eifert would be awesome. Maybe they could pull it off if they move around a bit, but they can't afford to make a move up for Eifert IMO and I can't see him falling to 39. If they end up getting 13, though...

I don't see it happening, but boy Austin and Eifert would be awesome. Maybe they could pull it off if they move around a bit, but they can't afford to make a move up for Eifert IMO and I can't see him falling to 39. If they end up getting 13, though...

I dont think he's falling to the 2nd round either. Hopefully the Jets can trade Revis for that 1st and 2nd from the Bucs.

IMO, you're adding another TD per game between the two, just by the advantage they give you with field position. Also would benefit Stephen Hill, too. He doesn't have to worry about reading coverage as much because the safety will have to play honest.

IMO, you're adding another TD per game between the two, just by the advantage they give you with field position. Also would benefit Stephen Hill, too. He doesn't have to worry about reading coverage as much because the safety will have to play honest.

Adding those two would definitely have a huge impact. The league right now is about having guys who can beat defenders in the passing game. Having Austin who will be a huge problem for teams in the slot and is a big time playmaker (which the Jets' also lack) and Eifert who can attack the seam and make plays on the ball even when defensive players have good coverage would go a long way towards getting the Jets have. Eifert's too big for a DB and too fast for a LB and Austin is probably too quick for pretty much anyone in space. Two huge mismatch guys.

Add that to Hill who still needs development but has a huge frame and legitimate deep speed and Kerley who is just rock solid, and that's a really strong receiving core that can give defenses serious problems. Probably unrealistic, but we can dream. Not ideal having three guys who are probably better off lining up in the slot (if you include Eifert when he's not lined up at tight end), but Kerley and Eifert have shown they're capable of lining up wide and I think Austin can as well.

Definitely agreed, I'd want to line him up all over the place. Out wide, slot, backfield, wherever. To me, DeSean is more or less a pure deep threat. Tavon's so much better in space and at making plays with the ball in his hands. Kind of like Percy Harvin in D-Jax's body, or a really, really rich man's version of Andrew Hawkins on the Bengals (who deserved the ball more than he got it last year).

Eifert's claim to fame is his incredible pass-catching.  Adding a player like Tavon Austin would allow us to "settle" for a better rounded TE, or ANY of the good pass-catching TE's in this draft.  If you ask me, Eddie Lacy would be the best pairing (with Tavon) to get the most bang for your buck. 

Putting Austin on the field would dictate a nickle defense.  He needs a shifty, smallish CB to cover him.  That takes one linebacker off the field. Enter Eddie Lacy.  It's a deep year for RBs, and I know we can draft one later, but if we were able to trade back in the first round (with the #13 pick) and still get Eddie Lacy, I don't know if we could pass that up.  In this scenario, I'm obviously forecasting a trade with Tampa Bay, one which would include an additional pick (2nd? 3rd?).  In essence we would be trading Revis for three players...one of which would be Eddie Lacy.  

might take the sting off a little bit.  

I totally agree. Our field position will be greatly improved with these two guys. You have Austin who will certainly compete for best returner of the year probably every year that he's in the pros. You have a redzone threat in Eifert who's shown to out jump any defender for the football. He's also has speed and is a good route runner, not to mention that he's a good blocker also so you can also scheme your running game around that without tipping the defense off to it being a pass simply because he's on the field.

These guys are playmakers and if we can trade Revis for even just the Bucs first round I'd be satisfied if these guys were the end result. Instant offensive firepower.

Eifert's claim to fame is his incredible pass-catching.  Adding a player like Tavon Austin would allow us to "settle" for a better rounded TE, or ANY of the good pass-catching TE's in this draft.  If you ask me, Eddie Lacy would be the best pairing (with Tavon) to get the most bang for your buck. 

Putting Austin on the field would dictate a nickle defense.  He needs a shifty, smallish CB to cover him.  That takes one linebacker off the field. Enter Eddie Lacy.  It's a deep year for RBs, and I know we can draft one later, but if we were able to trade back in the first round (with the #13 pick) and still get Eddie Lacy, I don't know if we could pass that up.  In this scenario, I'm obviously forecasting a trade with Tampa Bay, one which would include an additional pick (2nd? 3rd?).  In essence we would be trading Revis for three players...one of which would be Eddie Lacy.  

You may have a point there. Eddie Lacy however im not really impressed with from what I've seen. He's a big powerful back but can Lacy catch the football?

Eifert's claim to fame is his incredible pass-catching. Adding a player like Tavon Austin would allow us to "settle" for a better rounded TE, or ANY of the good pass-catching TE's in this draft. If you ask me, Eddie Lacy would be the best pairing (with Tavon) to get the most bang for your buck.

Putting Austin on the field would dictate a nickle defense. He needs a shifty, smallish CB to cover him. That takes one linebacker off the field. Enter Eddie Lacy. It's a deep year for RBs, and I know we can draft one later, but if we were able to trade back in the first round (with the #13 pick) and still get Eddie Lacy, I don't know if we could pass that up. In this scenario, I'm obviously forecasting a trade with Tampa Bay, one which would include an additional pick (2nd? 3rd?). In essence we would be trading Revis for three players...one of which would be Eddie Lacy.

There's nothing about Lacy that sets him apart from guys like Montee Ball, who can be had later. And I like Lacy. He's just not an exceptional talent.

You may have a point there. Eddie Lacy however im not really impressed with from what I've seen. He's a big powerful back but can Lacy catch the football?

Yes he can. Quite well, in fact. He can also play 3 downs, pass protect, and get tough yards by bowling over defenders.   

There's nothing about Lacy that sets him apart from guys like Montee Ball, who can be had later. And I like Lacy. He's just not an exceptional talent.

Some circles think he's a better prospect than Trent Richardson.  Don't get me wrong, LeVeon Bell, Montee Ball, Kniles Davis...ALL excellent options.   But Eddie Lacy is the undisputed #1 RB in this class...and for a reason.  He's a beast.  He does it all well, and is durable.  Probably the safest of the sexy picks. 

Take RB's in the mid-rounds, not early. Plus Lacy isn't an experienced enough pass catcher to be a great fit for the WCO and had the benefit of playing behind five NFL offensive linemen, four of whom are studs. The RG is the worst of the five and will get drafted sometime next year. Warmack's considered one of the best guards to come out the last few years if not the best and will go in the first round, Fluker is a likely late first round/early second round pick who is known as a dominant run blocker, Jones will probably go day 2 this year if not late in the first round, and Kouandjio is probably going to be a top 5 pick next year. Lacy's good, but far from can't miss, not a good scheme fit, and RB's can be found later. I'd pass.

Yes he can. Quite well, in fact. He can also play 3 downs, pass protect, and get tough yards by bowling over defenders.   

If Lacy can do all that then thats even more incentive to trade Revis. We can Get Eifert and Austin in the first round and get Lacy and a Guard in the 2nd. That will take care of the Oline, backfield, receiving corps and special teams and we'll still have 5 more rounds to go to get ourselves a decent OLB and DE, both positions that seem to have talent this draft class. 

For a team that is brutal on offense, adding players like Austin and Eifert would be a step in the right direction. The offense needs to be more dynamic instead of one dimensional. I would be all for this.

Hence why trading Revis would be a huge step in the right direction for this offense. Getting both guys along with having two high 2nd rd draft picks to deal with the offensive line and backfield would really turn this team around instantly. You'll give Sanchez/Garrard playmakers on the receiving end, power and explosiveness in the backfield and guards to protect them. Not to mention a top tier OC that knows how to utilize talent. 

Im as optimistic about Marty as I was pessimistic on Sparano last year. And this GM and his handling of the Revis situation has got my respect. If we find a way to make this happen Jet football may be as exciting as Clippers basketball lol. 

^Word. Desean Jackson lines up wide. It's a brutal mismatch for a bigger corner. I wouldn't hesitate to us him as a flanker.

I like Desean Jackson, he and Lynch are two of my favorite guys to come out of Cal, but he struggled mightily to beat press-coverage at his size and I think Austin will best be used in the slot and on the move until he learns to beat that press-man.  I definitely am warming up to the idea of drafting Austin and pairing him with kerley and hopefully a refined Hill.  If you can find a TE somewhere, you have a very solid core of playmakers to surround our hopefully new franchise QB.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know how you justify taking Eifert higher than Gronk, Graham, Hernandez or Gates when he isn't as good as any of them...

Based on what? He hasn't played a down in the NFL. You can't say he won't be as good as them because you have nothing to base it on at all.

Based on what? He hasn't played a down in the NFL. You can't say he won't be as good as them because you have nothing to base it on at all.

Go look at what people have written about him and what the scouting reports say. He doesn't have that kind of ceiling your hardon for every notre dame player non withstanding. 

Okay. Scouting reports are wrong all the time.

Come on man. I'm not saying Eifert isn't going to be a very good pro but you can be a ND fan and still be realistic about their players. Remember when you wanted the Jets to draft Theo Riddick in the 1st round? The dude isn't even going to be drafted. 

Come on man. I'm not saying Eifert isn't going to be a very good pro but you can be a ND fan and still be realistic about their players. Remember when you wanted the Jets to draft Theo Riddick in the 1st round? The dude isn't even going to be drafted.

I never said that ever. Jesus. I have many flaws that you can attack but there is no need to make up stuff. You're better than that.

I am being realistic. On the right team, with the right OC and QB, Eifert could be a pro bowl caliber player in a few seasons. Not sure what isn't realistic about that.

I never said that ever. Jesus. I have many flaws that you can attack but there is no need to make up stuff. You're better than that.

I am being realistic. On the right team, with the right OC and QB, Eifert could be a pro bowl caliber player in a few seasons. Not sure what isn't realistic about that.

I clearly remember you saying they should draft Riddick... Maybe it wasn't in the first. Whatever the point is that even if Eifert is a pro bowl TE (it's very possible that he is) he probably won't be an ALL PRO TE which is what he'd have to be to justify drafting him at 13.

I clearly remember you saying they should draft Riddick... Maybe it wasn't in the first. Whatever the point is that even if Eifert is a pro bowl TE (it's very possible that he is) he probably won't be an ALL PRO TE which is what he'd have to be to justify drafting him at 13.

I said Riddick would be a good late round pick because he is excellent at catching the ball. That was before they signed Goodson and they no longer have a big need for that. I would love for you to spend hours lookin over my posts to find me saying that we should take him early.

Your explanation on Eifert is laughable. If we draft any player at thirteen that makes the pro bowl a few times it's a huge success given how the drafts have typically gone for the Jets. I'd rather a sure thing at 13 than a reach for a question mark.

I said Riddick would be a good late round pick because he is excellent at catching the ball. That was before they signed Goodson and they no longer have a big need for that. I would love for you to spend hours lookin over my posts to find me saying that we should take him early.

Your explanation on Eifert is laughable. If we draft any player at thirteen that makes the pro bowl a few times it's a huge success given how the drafts have typically gone for the Jets. I'd rather a sure thing at 13 than a reach for a question mark.

I saw scouting reports that said that Eifert's best NFL comparison right now is Dennis Pitta. Would you draft Dennis Pitta in the first round?

Archived