If the Jets trade Revis for the #13

Midget Love 20

Revis for Bucs #13 and conditional 3rd (accelerates to a second if the Bucs make the playoffs or Revis is a pro-bowler).

Draft: 

#9 Chance Warmack (G)  (The offensive line with --DBrick, Warmack, Mangold, Colon, Howard-- will be much improved and will give a great foundation for the future.)

#13 Tavon Austin (WR) (Austin gives us a game changer player that we've lacked since Leon Washington.  Has Percy Harvin like ability, and gives Mornhinweg his Brian Westbrook of the offense.)

Thoughts?

Westbrook was but had the ability to be a receiving and rushing threat out of the backfield.  This kid has the ability to run or catch the ball, and is the type of player you want getting touches.  

Warmack has the potential of being a stud and is the best at his position.  That would be the smartest and safest pick this year IMO

Westbrook was but had the ability to be a receiving and rushing threat out of the backfield.  This kid has the ability to run or catch the ball, and is the type of player you want getting touches.  

Warmack has the potential of being a stud and is the best at his position.  That would be the smartest and safest pick this year IMO

Though they are trying hard, the NFL has not yet reached full-fledged flag football status yet.  

Not going to be suckered into selecting a G with a top 10 selection in the NFL draft. Elite interior line prospects have their mark in the middle of the 1st. Pouncey was one of the best to come out and has lived up to that billing so far with the Steelers. Last year these draft analyst were mocking DeCastro going as high as the 14th to the Cardinals, but that demand/value for a guard just wasn't there as they had projected and he ended up going early 20's.

If we're to get the 13th pick (along with a 3rd) I wouldn't mind trading out the 9th for those targeting a LT, DT or DE/OLB. Most likely to a team like the Steelers or Rams at 16 and 17. Dallas is the one legit threat to take either Warmack or Cooper so seating 16 or 17 would be the perfect landing spot.

13th Tavon Austin, WR

17th Johnathan Cooper, G

2nd Zach Ertz, TE

2nd Johnathan Franklin, RB (via Pit or St. L)

3rd Tyler Bray

3rd Tony Jefferson, S (via Bucs)

4th Brandon Jenkins, OLB

How good are Warmark and Cooper that I keep seeing both of them drafted in the top 15? WTF? I know the draft is weak, but 2 guards in the top half of the 1st round?

Warmack is considered to be the player of this years draft. I've seen mocks (2-3 wks ago) where Warmack was picked #1 overall. That gives you an idea of what some experts think of him. I want the Jets to draft him. We have no solid guards and Colon is going to get hurt as usual. He's missed 36 games in last 3 years.

I hope we trade down to mid teens to select Warmack n pick up another 3 rd rounder in the process.

safest pick? maybe. smartest pick? no

I'm fine with the trade, but I vehemently do not like drafting a guard with the 9th overall pick, especially one who could be considered the second best guard in the draft.  Warmack is a stud, there's no denying it, but I just don't see how anything he does warrants being a top ten selection.  You could make a much stronger case for drafting Austin at 9 and warmack at 13, but even then I think that's too high for him.  

Consider me being on board for TA with the 13th if we can nab Geno with our 9th. 

Idzik will not draft a wr in 1st round - I am basing this on Seattle's recent hx of recent drafts. My guess would be a lineman (Off or Def) and safety with the other pick. May try to trade down as someone already alluded to but still think he goes lineman and safety in 1st round. Second round maybe WR but I agree with TE pick.

Idzik will not draft a wr in 1st round - I am basing this on Seattle's recent hx of recent drafts. My guess would be a lineman (Off or Def) and safety with the other pick. May try to trade down as someone already alluded to but still think he goes lineman and safety in 1st round. Second round maybe WR but I agree with TE pick.

The Seahawks draft wasn't his work. it was the GM and Carrol

to the original poster this is a reasonable interpretation of what the Jets would do with 2 picks in the top 15. they need to strengthen the offense. Period.

There's another thread where the poster wants Eifert and Austin, it's a similar type of interpretation. Instant help. 

the guard thing I've gone back and forth on. I personally might not take these players in top 15 but this new GM has been extremely pragmatic. It wouldn't surprise me. Between Vlad and Colon they might have 1 starting guard. Besides OG they need a starting WR, starting S and starting TE.

OLB is a need too but overall the focus is all on offense. As we get closer, I feel the OLB is becoming less likely. If Jarvis Jones drops (and they like him) that's probably the pick, but most of these guys are raw and LB converts. Not instant help. 

OLB is a need too but overall the focus is all on offense. As we get closer, I feel the OLB is becoming less likely. If Jarvis Jones drops (and they like him) that's probably the pick, but most of these guys are raw and LB converts. Not instant help. 

Given Rex's likely lame duck status in 2013 I would be very surprised to see the Idzik make an early pick for an edge-rusher.    If the Jets bring in a new HC in 2014 there will likely be some type of scheme shift and the team could end up 4-3 instead of Rex's 3-4.    I'm not sure why you'd take a 3-4 OLB @ 9 if you were uncertain what position he would play in 2014.    Idzik is too shrewd for that. 

All other things being equal, I would use those 2 1st round picks to draft the best OLB I could find and a legit corner. Defense done. Then spend the remaining 6+ picks all on offense, or maybe 1 of them on a safety if you want. But get yourself at least 5 picks on offense. Of course,all things aren't equal and you have to go BPA.

to the original poster this is a reasonable interpretation of what the Jets would do with 2 picks in the top 15. they need to strengthen the offense. Period.

There's another thread where the poster wants Eifert and Austin, it's a similar type of interpretation. Instant help. 

the guard thing I've gone back and forth on. I personally might not take these players in top 15 but this new GM has been extremely pragmatic. It wouldn't surprise me. Between Vlad and Colon they might have 1 starting guard. Besides OG they need a starting WR, starting S and starting TE.

The Jets need help on offense right now, and honestly Tavon Austin looks like a really special player that could change the way D coordinators plan for us.  We can always address the defensive side of the ball with the 2nd and 3rd round picks this year but we need to realize that the franchise QB is not on the Jets this year or in this draft class.  Long and short though, Austin is a player that could get 15-20 touches per game and make a real impact (KR, PR, rushing or receiving).  

The way I see it is Rex and Sanchez will both be gone after this year, and we will still have a draft pick in the top 10 next year with how bad the roster is.  We are going to need to rebuild, and would welcome any offensive additions this year, and hope for a QB in the 1st round in 2014.  

Yes but he was part of the team and their front office stated that he was a contributor - thus I am assuming that he has carried over a similar philosophy. Top picks are sure things - focus on OL and safety in first round if they have two picks in the first round of the draft. If there is only one pick he will look to trade down. Skill positions such as WR and TE will be after the 1st round maybe even after the second round. Just my gut impression of his philosophy.

Enough of drafting a guard. We need offensive PLAYMAKERS. When you have no passing threats, you aren't going to run the ball regardless of how good the line is. Why? 9 in the box. NO ONE respected or feared the jets passing game last year. They didn't have anyone with speed to open up the field (Hill drops too many to be feared). All the passes were 5 yd plays.

In today's NFL you have to be way too perfect to drive the ball 12-14 plays consistently. You need quick strike ability. Those are the players we need.

Yes but he was part of the team and their front office stated that he was a contributor - thus I am assuming that he has carried over a similar philosophy. Top picks are sure things - focus on OL and safety in first round if they have two picks in the first round of the draft. If there is only one pick he will look to trade down. Skill positions such as WR and TE will be after the 1st round maybe even after the second round. Just my gut impression of his philosophy.

I hope we don't get too excited about the idea of trading down in this draft, because it's not likely to happen. It's definitely not a matter of will, you can't trade down just because you want to.

Best thing that could happen is if Geno falls to us at 9 then someone might want to move up for him. Or Barkley.

On the other hand, if some of these mocks are right and they have 3 QB's going in the top 8 that would be great for us because we could pick almost whoever we want. Especially since those drafts also have 2-3 tackles going, a position which we don't need. So we could conceivably get our most desired player in the entire draft, or 2nd most desired player.

I hope we don't get too excited about the idea of trading down in this draft, because it's not likely to happen. It's definitely not a matter of will, you can't trade down just because you want to.

Best thing that could happen is if Geno falls to us at 9 then someone might want to move up for him. Or Barkley.

On the other hand, if some of these mocks are right and they have 3 QB's going in the top 8 that would be great for us because we could pick almost whoever we want. Especially since those drafts also have 2-3 tackles going, a position which we don't need. So we could conceivably get our most desired player in the entire draft, or 2nd most desired player.

I'm pretty sure you're referencing my mock where I had: 3 QBs, 3 OTs, Floyd and Milliner dropping in the top-8.  

The beauty of the quick run on quarterbacks and tackles is the increase in value it brings to the #9 drafting spot.  Like you mention, we could literally get the highest rated player on our board.  We could also use that leverage to entertain mild trade backs.  Somewhere out there a team is absolutely bananas over a certain player.  (i.e., Jarvis Jones, Ansah, Jordan, Werner, Lotulelei, Mingo, Vacarro, Austin, Patterson, Warmack, Cooper, et al.) and might be willing to part with a 3rd round pick to move up a few spots to get "their" guy.  Add in names like DaMontre Moore, Eifert, Ogletree, Lacy, Allen...etc. and we can trade back up to 16 slots and still nab the cream of this draft's crop. 

Is it possible? I think so.

I'm pretty sure you're referencing my mock where I had: 3 QBs, 3 OTs, Floyd and Milliner dropping in the top-8.  

The beauty of the quick run on quarterbacks and tackles is the increase in value it brings to the #9 drafting spot.  Like you mention, we could literally get the highest rated player on our board.  We could also use that leverage to entertain mild trade backs.  Somewhere out there a team is absolutely bananas over a certain player.  (i.e., Jarvis Jones, Ansah, Jordan, Werner, Lotulelei, Mingo, Vacarro, Austin, Patterson, Warmack, Cooper, et al.) and might be willing to part with a 3rd round pick to move up a few spots to get "their" guy.  Add in names like DaMontre Moore, Eifert, Ogletree, Lacy, Allen...etc. and we can trade back up to 16 slots and still nab the cream of this draft's crop. 

Is it possible? I think so.

I'm wondering about this now... if a team truly believes that they cannot get their QB of the future in the current year, do they still go after offensive weapons with such fervor? No doubt we need offensive weapons badly but without the QB already on the roster, to what extent are we wasting their development time? If we draft 1 RB, 1 WR, and 1 TE this year then they won't even get to see our QB until year 2, and QB's usually (though the trend has changed lately) don't do well in their rookie years. So best case scenario, our QB is coming to his own in 2015, and our RB, WR and TE's contracts are all about to expire soon at that point?

Almost makes me want to go for OL and defense only in this draft. Almost. Except for the fact that we have some decent pieces there already and almost nothing in terms of offensive weapons.

Archived