A WR given to us in this Mock Draft, the Best in the draft though?

drocksthaparty

To be honest, I believe he is over rated, I mean the white kid Rogers is a solid wide out, they had Da'Rick Rogers from Tennessee Tech, plus Justin Hunter.  I think Hunter is better than Patterson, Patterson is just more explosive when he gets the ball.  He is not that impressive though and his routes are horrible.

Could you just post the damn thing instead of the link. Some of us are driving a truck through New Mexico reading the site on their phone.

Probably shouldn't be on the site while driving to begin with..

Could you just post the damn thing instead of the link. Some of us are driving a truck through New Mexico reading the site on their phone.

Be careful, for the sake of the people on the road around you. Pretty irresponsible, to be honest - my wife works from a national insurance provider, the data they have on phone usage while driving is comparable to drunk driving data.

So in this draft, they have us taking Patterson over Warmack, Mingo, Lotulelei, Vaccaro, and both Trufant and Rhodes?

I dunno, those are all players I'd prefer taking over a WR. I'm content with Holmes, Kerley, Hill and some journeymen or a late-rounder at WR. Much prefer the idea of a low-miss-potential defender or OG.

Be careful, for the sake of the people on the road around you. Pretty irresponsible, to be honest - my wife works from a national insurance provider, the data they have on phone usage while driving is comparable to drunk driving data.

What am I going to hit mom tumble weed? There's not one building or person in site. It's not like I'm checking it in the city or going down a cliff.

What am I going to hit mom tumble weed? There's not one building or person in site. It's not like I'm checking it in the city or going down a cliff.

Just saying be careful dude, defensiveness is a sign of knowing you're in the wrong.

So in this draft, they have us taking Patterson over Warmack, Mingo, Lotulelei, Vaccaro, and both Trufant and Rhodes?

I dunno, those are all players I'd prefer taking over a WR. I'm content with Holmes, Kerley, Hill and some journeymen or a late-rounder at WR. Much prefer the idea of a low-miss-potential defender or OG.

Yea, I don't understand the selection either. Patterson is an absolute stud and provided we had our roster filled out, especially QB, he'd be a fine pick.  But we're not in the position to be selecting projects, who needs to work on refining routes and learning the nuances of the position...we already have one of those.

Yea, I don't understand the selection either. Patterson is an absolute stud and provided we had our roster filled out, especially QB, he'd be a fine pick.  But we're not in the position to be selecting projects, who needs to work on refining routes and learning the nuances of the position...we already have one of those.

Then again, you bring in Patterson, give him a de facto redshirt season, then he's (and Hill is?) ready in 2014 when you find your qb.

Yeah I want nothing to do with Patterson. Body catcher extraordinaire.

Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson dropped just 4.2 percent of his intended targets in 2012.
The drop rate compares favorably to Keenan Allen (4.7 percent), Terrance

Williams (5.8 percent), and especially Vols teammate Justin Hunter (12.1

percent). Although draftniks have nitpicked Patterson's tendency to

"body catch" as opposed to secure passes with his hands, his efficiency

wasn't an issue in college.

Then again, you bring in Patterson, give him a de facto redshirt season, then he's (and Hill is?) ready in 2014 when you find your qb.

If we're going to go that route, I just assume get Austin as Patterson is too similar to Hill.  Not that there's anything wrong with having two similar receivers, I just think TA could help us win games quicker regardless of our QB situation.   **For the record, we knew Hill, as a second rounder, was going to be raw as hell and there's a whole contingent here ready to cut bait after one season.

I watch a lot of college football, but by no means am I a scout.  But i'm drinking the koolaide on drafting Geno if he's there with our 9th and provided we get the 13th overall to surround him with someone like Austin and then Ertz/Effert in the second.  I saw enough of Smith in college to go on record now saying that if you can surround him with a Hill, Austin, Kerley, Cumberland, Ertz/Effert and Powell/Goodson out of the backfield, he'll put up better numbers in his rookie year than anything Sanchez has ever done.

If we're going to go that route, I just assume get Austin as Patterson is too similar to Hill. Not that there's anything wrong with having two similar receivers, I just think TA could help us win games quicker regardless of our QB situation. **For the record, we knew Hill, as a second rounder, was going to be raw as hell and there's a whole contingent here ready to cut bait after one season.

I watch a lot of college football, but by no means am I a scout. But i'm drinking the koolaide on drafting Geno if he's there with our 9th and provided we get the 13th overall to surround him with someone like Austin and then Ertz/Effert in the second. I saw enough of Smith in college to go on record now saying that if you can surround him with a Hill, Austin, Kerley, Cumberland, Ertz/Effert and Powell/Goodson out of the backfield, he'll put up better numbers in his rookie year than anything Sanchez has ever done.

Agreed on all counts, though I won't be heartbroken if they took Patterson over Austin right now, even though I like Austin better. I think you're choosing between a guy who might be Dez Bryant vs a guy who might be Desean Jackson.

I think Geno Smith will be fine, personally, if he's handled correctly. He does all the good things you want, and his bad things aren't all that bad. Sanchez has cognitive difficulties--he doesn't process. I don't really see that with Geno Smith.

Are we talking like even money high risk or like 10-1 risk?

I'd put it at 7:1

For the sake of argument, I won't even bring up his lack-luster route running ability, his questionable catching methods, or limited college playing experience.  Instead, I want to focus on one of his strengths.  

The dude can fly!!  His start-up and go is 0-60.  However, and I may be in the minority, I believe that his running style is going to be his Achilles tendon.  He doesn't "juke" people so much as he just runs fast and then pulls off his patented stutter-move:

1. Run really fast. 

2. Stop on a dime.  

3.  Wait for pursuing defenders to pass.  

4.  Quickly accelerate in another direction, thereby "re-starting" the chase.    

This running style is based on pure athleticism.  One injury to a knee, ankle, toe, hip or rib, and his single most necessary attribute becomes stripped--and your'e left with a poor catching, poor route running, medium-fast guy.  We can find plenty of those without spending a top-ten pick.  

I know what you're thinking, EVERY athlete has that injury risk.  True.  But, Patterson's running style encourages it.  He transforms from a fast moving target to a stationary one...That worked in college.  But, in the NFL, he's going to catch a back-pursuit defensive lineman (who weighs 300lbs) coming through his torso while he tries to out-manuveur speedier defensive backs.  Sprint. Stop. Sprint. Stop. Sprint. Stop.  

It won't take long for defenses to get the memo on this guy, and once they do, I fear his career will be over.  Rick factor, high.   

I'd put it at 7:1

For the sake of argument, I won't even bring up his lack-luster route running ability, his questionable catching methods, or limited college playing experience.  Instead, I want to focus on one of his strengths.  

The dude can fly!!  His start-up and go is 0-60.  However, and I may be in the minority, I believe that his running style is going to be his Achilles tendon.  He doesn't "juke" people so much as he just runs fast and then pulls off his patented stutter-move:

1. Run really fast. 

2. Stop on a dime.  

3.  Wait for pursuing defenders to pass.  

4.  Quickly accelerate in another direction, thereby "re-starting" the chase.    

This running style is based on pure athleticism.  One injury to a knee, ankle, toe, hip or rib, and his single most necessary attribute becomes stripped--and your'e left with a poor catching, poor route running, medium-fast guy.  We can find plenty of those without spending a top-ten pick.  

I know what you're thinking, EVERY athlete has that injury risk.  True.  But, Patterson's running style encourages it.  He transforms from a fast moving target to a stationary one...That worked in college.  But, in the NFL, he's going to catch a back-pursuit defensive lineman (who weighs 300lbs) coming through his torso while he tries to out-manuveur speedier defensive backs.  Sprint. Stop. Sprint. Stop. Sprint. Stop.  

It won't take long for defenses to get the memo on this guy, and once they do, I fear his career will be over.  Rick factor, high.   

In other words, an Al Davis guy.

You ever drive through Arizona, New Mexico and Texas? It's boring as ****. Outside of the mountains it looks like a nuclear testing site.

Yes. I live in Texas lol. And Arizona/Mexico doesnt just looke like a testing site. Be careful :character0182:

I think Geno Smith will be fine, personally, if he's handled correctly 

If Geno gets to sit three years like Aaron Rodgers, I agree. He could be fine, or even great. (Aaron by the way went in the 20s)

We both know what would happen to geno in NY. He's not getting any time to sit. He's not getting any coaching from Rex. He's gonna be thrown to the wolves. 

If Geno gets to sit three years like Aaron Rodgers, I agree. He could be fine, or even great. (Aaron by the way went in the 20s)

We both know what would happen to geno in NY. He's not getting any time to sit. He's not getting any coaching from Rex. He's gonna be thrown to the wolves. 

This is why I don't think Idzik will give Rex any quarterbacks: because nobody thinks that Rex will be here next year, nor will Mornhinweg. But, if Geno is there at 9, and we have the 13 from a Revis trade, I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen. You follow the draft closely--you know there's just no telling with drafted quarterbacks. Smith could wash out in three years just as quickly as he could be an All Pro.

Archived