NY Jets Draft Talk

JetNation

The NFL draft is fast approaching.  With so many roster positions in need of upgrades, this draft is crucial for the Jets.  It is also the first draft under the leadership of GM John Idzik.   He can make his job easier by adding talent to the roster this April.

What are other Jets fans saying about the draft?  Who do they want the Jets to select?

Here are some thoughts by Jets fans from the JN Forums:

• Is it okay to draft WR at # 9 overall?
  • had a rough pro-day
  • are hard to do but here is one that factors in a trade of Darrelle Revis
  • You definitely want to keep you eye on they know their stuff
  • Here is a that some Jets fans think are in the must have category

For more informati0n be sure to stop by our NFL draft forum and join the conversation.

Read his last three tweets, and the tweets of other scouts agreeing with him. Total beat down.

He isnt any good. What does he do on film that impresses people? The picks were all off of tipped passes. None of which he returned anywhere. Where were the negative tackles against good teams? 

The barely played any, but hell...he does nothing impressive. The kid who went undrafted to the Bengals looked a lot better on tape.

He isnt any good. What does he do on film that impresses people? The picks were all off of tipped passes. None of which he returned anywhere. Where were the negative tackles against good teams?

The barely played any, but hell...he does nothing impressive. The kid who went undrafted to the Bengals looked a lot better on tape.

He played at Notre Dame, so he must be awesome. Like every Duke basketball player.

So excited for CrazyCarl to get here.

Something something first round something intangibles something something scouts are stupid something sanctity of sports in America something Golden Dome something cruel hoax something persevere something something solid, professional, something Hall of Fame is filled with Polynesians.

UNC Chapel Hill Pro Day Notebook

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – Eighteen current and former Tar Heels auditioned for more than 40 NFL scouts and personnel at North Carolina’s Pro Day on Tuesday morning at Navy Fields.

* Fifteen members of the 2012 UNC football team worked out on a cold, windy morning – running back Gio Bernard, offensive guard Jonathan Cooper, linebacker Kevin Reddick, offensive tackle Brennan Williams, defensive tackle Sylvester Williams, kicker Casey Barth, offensive guard Travis Bond, wide receiver Jhay Boyd, linebacker Dion Guy, wide receiver Erik Highsmith, defensive back Pete Mangum, fullback Kenny Owens, fullback Devon Ramsay, defensive back Gene Robinson and long snapper Parker Thomas.

Former Tar Heels Quan Sturdivant, Brooks Foster and Curtis Byrd were also on hand to participate.

* As expected, the big names on the board – Cooper, Bernard, Reddick and Sylvester Williams – did not go through the majority of the early morning’s measurement testing. The exceptions were Bernard participating in the bench press (19 reps at 225 pounds) and Reddick in the vertical jump (30 ½”).

* Boyd, who also runs track for UNC, turned in an absurd list of results, ranging from a 4.46 40-yard dash to an 11-foot broad jump. The Gastonia, N.C. native also posted 41 ½” vertical jump, which may not have been completely accurate. According to a school official, 41 1/2” represents the measuring device’s ceiling.

Other notable measurements include Highsmith’s 4.6 40, Byrd’s 28 reps at 225 and Brennan Williams’ 28 ½” vertical jump.

* The festivities started at approximately 9:30am under strength and conditioning coach Lou Hernandez’s direction inside before the players and scouts made their way to Navy Fields at 10:30am for roughly 90 minutes worth of drills.

After standard drills such as the 3-cone, side shuttle and “60” – a suicide-type drill totaling 60 yards – the scouts split the players into groups for position-specific drills. NFL personnel, including Cincinnati head coach Marvin Lewis and Jacksonville head coach Gus Bradley, spent significant time watching UNC’s offensive linemen work through a variety of speed, agility and power drills.

* Sylvester Williams, the lone defensive lineman present, worked with the linebackers on several footwork drills, while Reddick took reps with the defensive backs during certain coverage drills.

* Former UNC quarterback Cam Sexton was on hand to throw balls to the running backs and wide receivers in passing drills.

* UNC head coach Larry Fedora and various members of his coaching staff were on hand to watch the drills, as well as current players such as Bryn Renner, Eric Ebron, Jabari Price, Tim Jackson and Jabari Price. Former assistant coach Ken Browning and suspended quarterback Marquise Williams were also present.

Fedora’s message to NFL personnel has focused on the character of his players.

“What I’m going to tell them is that these guys are going to help any team be better,” he said. “They’re going to be good quality citizens on their team. They’re not going to have to worry about them off the field and they’re going to help them win.”

Fedora also offered some insight in saying that Cooper will probably be selected earliest in the NFL draft, with Bernard, Reddick and Sylvester Williams in the second group.

Even so, Fedora acknowledges that he knows as much as his players do at this point: “It’s hard for me to tell where these guys are going to go.”

The players don’t know much about their likely destinations and most don’t even pay attention to the speculation swirling around leading up to the draft on Apr. 25.

“You probably know more than me,” Reddick told one reporter. “I promise. Trust me, they don’t tell us anything.”

Bernard prefers to not even look at mock drafts and the sort.

“I’ve been the type of guy to really stay away from that type of stuff,” Bernard said, who will begin private workouts on Apr. 1. “I love the game of football, so I really try to stay away from it. Obviously, family and others will say, ‘Oh, this team likes you,’ but it’s a point of blocking it, in one ear and out the other. So, for the most part, I just try to enjoy the process.”

* One potential concern for Bernard, who measured 5-8 ½ and 204 pounds, is whether or not he can be an every-down back at the next level.

Fedora quickly dismissed that notion on Tuesday, saying, “I assure you he can do it.”

More importantly, Fedora indicated that he has not been asked by any NFL personnel about Bernard’s potential to play every down.

* Various NFL scouts attended UNC’s football practice on Monday afternoon to learn how practices are run under the new regime, according to Fedora.

Confirmed:

Idzik and some scouts are personally in Chapel Hill today at Pro Day.

Looking at RB/PR Gio Bernard, OL Jonathan Cooper, DT/NT Sylvester Williams and LB Kevin Reddick

UNC is mad underrated for NFL talent. All those guys can ball. My favorite school in the draft this year.

UNC is mad underrated for NFL talent. All those guys can ball. My favorite school in the draft this year.

I think the signing of Goodson pretty much ended any chance that the Jets draft Bernard. Sly Williams is supposed to be drawing tons of interest, though.

I think the signing of Goodson pretty much ended any chance that the Jets draft Bernard. Sly Williams is supposed to be drawing tons of interest, though.

Marvin Lewis was here today personally in Chapel Hill  and rumor is Bengals love Bernard and will reach for him at #21 in 1st round or try and trade  a few spots back and still grab him if they think feasible. 

Bernard is actually the player I want least from there. Im not a believer in drafting a RB high unless he is a top notch talent. Cooper is a beast (is legitimately in the convo for best offensive PLAYER in this draft), Williams will last a decade+ in the league, and Reddick is one of the more versatile and complete LBers in the draft.

Why do people still care about a RBs height? Who really cares that Bernard is just under 5'9 now? I get the want for ideals, but how many of the top backs in the league are more than two maybe three inches taller?

Glad to hear Brennan Williams is progressing. I like him as a mid to late round pick. He could have gone higher but blew out his knee earlier in the year.

Bernard is actually the player I want least from there. Im not a believer in drafting a RB high unless he is a top notch talent. Cooper is a beast (is legitimately in the convo for best offensive PLAYER in this draft), Williams will last a decade+ in the league, and Reddick is one of the more versatile and complete LBers in the draft.

Idzik came here personally to more than look at low round picks IMO..

I think he is doing due diligence with Cooper at maybe #9 and Sylvester Williams and Gio as possible Round 2 picks. Sly , as you hint is gaining draft steam, may go sooner so it might take a trade to get him at bottom of 1st.

Reddick could be steal later in draft you are correct. Not flashy, but damn solid and smart.

The guy that I hear from folks at stadium yesterday that had scouts taking notes was low round/free agent candidate WR Jheranie Boyd. To be honest, I've been shocked he has been rated lower, the kid has talent.

Jheranie Boyd

NFL | Jheranie Boyd impresses

North Carolina WR Jheranie Boyd was clocked in the mid 4.4s in the 40-yard dash at his Pro Day Tuesday, March 26. He also showed outside leaping ability, posting a 41 1/2-inch vertical leap, which would have tied him for the second-highest mark among all players at the NFL Scouting Combine. Boyd also registered a broad jump of 11-foot-0, which would have tied him for second-best among all receivers at the combine.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=846009-nfl-jheranie-boyd-impresses#ixzz2OkRxHzVI

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=846009-nfl-jheranie-boyd-impresses

Pro Days: NFL decision-makers flock to Chapel Hill for UNC workout
By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

March 26, 2013 8:05 pm ET

Traditionally, late March means the NCAA tournament at the University of North Carolina, but despite the mens' basketball team getting knocked out by Kansas on March 24, the dozens of NFL representatives on hand for the Tar Heels Pro Day on Wednesday proved that the university remains a hotbed for athletic talent.

Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis and Jacksonville Jaguars coach Gus Bradley were among the key decision-makers reportedly on hand for Tuesday's workout, which featured 15 former Tar Heels, not the least of whom were two potential first-round prospects: guard/centerJonathan Cooper and defensive tackle Sylvester Williams. Also present were Detroit Lions' general manager Martin Mayhew and New York Jets' general manager John Idzik, as well asDavid Caldwell, the Jaguars' GM.

The 6-foot-2 1/4, 308-pound Cooper elected to stand on his combine numbers but was put through a variety of positional drills, including taking snaps at center. According to a source on the scene, Cooper looked "fantastic."

Also boosting his cause was the 6-2 3/8, 311-pound Williams, who has been steadily climbing up draft boards since an impressive performance at the Senior Bowl.

Like Cooper, Williams elected not to participate during the timed drills, but that didn't mean he wasn't put through a litany of tests. The light-footed defensive tackle was asked to participate in linebacker drills, in fact.

Running back Giovani Bernard may have been the biggest name of UNC's flashy skill-position athletes, but the only measured drill he performed Wednesday was in the bench press. He was quite impressive in this test, however, as the 5-8 1/2, 204-pounder lifted the bar 19 times. Bernard also showed superb quickness and burst during his positional drills. According to the source, the Bengals' Lewis seemed to be particularly interested in Bernard's workout.

While Lewis focused on Bernard, many of the other talent evaluators on hand seemed to be focused on the offensive linemen -- and not just Cooper.

Talented offensive tackle Brennan Williams took advantage of the opportunity to demonstrate his athleticism. The 6-5 1/2, 311-pound Williams entered the year as one of the more intriguing right tackle prospects in the country but missed the final four games of his senior season with a torn labrum.

Recovery from the subsequent surgery kept Williams from lifting Wednesday, but he ran the 40-yard dash in 5.20-seconds and recorded a 28.5-inch vertical and a 8-foot, 5-inch broad jump. With only 22 career starts, Williams is unpolished, but he shows intriguing athletic upside on tape and could wind up developing into a better player in the NFL than he was in college. Considering that ACC coaches recognized him with honorable mention accolades despite the fact that he missed a third of the season, that's saying something.

Speaking of players with the raw athleticism to develop, wide receiver Jheranie Boyd only caught four passes for 44 yards and one score in 2012, but he may have earned himself a chance at making an NFL roster as an undrafted free agent with a dazzling workout.

The 6-1 1/8, 187-pound Boyd was clocked in the mid 4.4s and registered a 41.5-inch vertical jump that bystanders believe may have actually been higher. Boyd, according to UNC officials, touched the highest level of the measuring device. This would have tied Southern Miss linebacker Jamie Collins for the second-highest vertical recorded by any player in Indianapolis in 2012. Texas A&M running back Christine Michael led all participants with a 43-inch vertical jump.

Boyd also registered an 11-0 broad jump, which would have tied him with Texas' Marquise Goodwin and Tennessee Tech's Da'Rick Rogers for the second-best broad jump among receivers tested this year in Indianapolis. Tennessee's Justin Hunter recorded an eye-popping 11-4 broad jump to lead all receivers, and the freakishly athletic Collins, all 6-3, 250 pounds of him, led all participants with an 11-7 effort.

I didn't realize how productive Bernard was at UNC. Now I really do like him...he's the Ray Rice of this draft. 

Yes he is. Plus he will start as our Punt returner day one. 2nd in NCAA last year in punt returns. 

The uncanny thing about Giovanni is how he uses his blockers. I have NEVER in my 60 years seen a kid have patience like he does and let his blockers set up the seams.

And FYI, many scouts at Combine agreed with you about Rice: (I actually think he an be very Ladianian-like in his career. If Jets get him the Screen/Dump Off Pass will finally be back in our playbook)

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8389/player

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/1009

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/1022

I think his running style fits with the offense too...Another guy I liked and am really starting to buy into as the draft gets closer. He's not a Peterson, but he is a high quality RB prospect. 

spot on Gato,, he is perfect fit for WCO with its reliance on the RB being a pass catching phenom (with great YAC ability) since the RB is ALWAYS the safety valve in the WCO for the QB.

Yes he is. Plus he will start as our Punt returner day one. 2nd in NCAA last year in punt returns. 

The uncanny thing about Giovanni is how he uses his blockers. I have NEVER in my 60 years seen a kid have patience like he does and let his blockers set up the seams.

And FYI, many scouts at Combine agreed with you about Rice: (I actually think he an be very Ladianian-like in his career. If Jets get him the Screen/Dump Off Pass will finally be back in our playbook)

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8389/player

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/1009

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/individual/1022

Thanks for the links.  

Scrolling through the second one I saw that a guy named Antonio Andrews lead the NCAA in all purpose yards and threatened Barry Sanders' record.  Anybody know anything about this guy?

His highlight clips are confounding.  He's the ploddingest back I've ever seen.  He's is slow; runs like his laces are tied together.  Yet he is incredibly EFFECTIVE. I don't get it.  

Thanks for the links.  

Scrolling through the second one I saw that a guy named Antonio Andrews lead the NCAA in all purpose yards and threatened Barry Sanders' record.  Anybody know anything about this guy?

His highlight clips are confounding.  He's the ploddingest back I've ever seen.  He's is slow; runs like his laces are tied together.  Yet he is incredibly EFFECTIVE. I don't get it.  

I don't think Andrews is coming out yet. They just hired Petrino over there.  I think Andrews is faster than you think and can catch.  He just has a kind of strange knee lift. 

I don't think Andrews is coming out yet. They just hired Petrino over there.  I think Andrews is faster than you think and can catch.  He just has a kind of strange knee lift. 

thx. 

I'm sure he's a LOT faster than he looks, very deceptive.  

Archived