The College Process

Maxman

Having a kid go through the college process = so much fun.

Applications, acceptances, college tours, financial aid, grants....trying to figure out how to pay for it all, oh my.

Well at least I get to do this two more times after this round.  Fun stuff.  :)

Having a kid go through the college process = so much fun.

Applications, acceptances, college tours, financial aid, grants....trying to figure out how to pay for it all, oh my.

Well at least I get to do this two more times after this round.  Fun stuff.  :)

Will he go away or find a place close enough to commute?

Will he go away or find a place close enough to commute?

He is going away.  Right now it is between Kings College in Pa and Farleigh in NJ (across from the Jets facility).  Both schools are over 40k per year.  Let the good times roll.

Haha, the whole college applications thing was great. I love writing essays about myself and my goals in life. 

But dealing with the acceptances is fun! Congrats to both of you! Any idea on major?

He went 5 for 5 with getting accepted.  He only applied to schools that wanted him for football, so that is kind of cheating though lol.

He says he wants to major in Criminal Justice.  And go into law enforcement in some capacity.  Uncle GOB slept over here years ago and must have impressed him.

He went 5 for 5 with getting accepted.  He only applied to schools that wanted him for football, so that is kind of cheating though lol.

He says he wants to major in Criminal Justice.  And go into law enforcement in some capacity.  Uncle GOB slept over here years ago and must have impressed him.

The best advice i got about wanting to go into law enforcement was dont major in criminal justice. Major in something that you would want to do after you retire. This came from a state trooper who had just retired at 47 after 26 years on the job  and didnt know what he wanted to do since all his experience was in law enforcement. Whether it be business or communications or whatever, something other than criminal justice is what i was told. 

He is going away.  Right now it is between Kings College in Pa and Farleigh in NJ (across from the Jets facility).  Both schools are over 40k per year.  Let the good times roll.

Congrats and good luck!  My nephew is making his decision too...one school offered up a decent scholarship IF he maintains a B average. My friends daughter is leaning towards going to Fordham.I shake my head looking at the tuitions these schools charge.  Room and board another 11K....like I said, good luck!

Congrats and good luck!  My nephew is making his decision too...one school offered up a decent scholarship IF he maintains a B average. My friends daughter is leaning towards going to Fordham.I shake my head looking at the tuitions these schools charge.  Room and board another 11K....like I said, good luck!

I made extra cash in early 70's in college as a Man Whore. Is there still a market for that today? :)

Bad-dating-advice.jpg

The best advice i got about wanting to go into law enforcement was dont major in criminal justice. Major in something that you would want to do after you retire. This came from a state trooper who had just retired at 47 after 26 years on the job  and didnt know what he wanted to do since all his experience was in law enforcement. Whether it be business or communications or whatever, something other than criminal justice is what i was told. 

GOB told him to major in criminal justice.  Are you calling GOB stupid?  Are you saying that GOB just eats donuts all day and he is clueless?

Maybe he should take this up with GOB directly, it is getting tense in here, lol.

Thanks Garb!

It isn't an easy process.  There is so much information out there, but that makes it harder sometimes.  I took a tour at the fine University that I attended (lol) after I was accepted and sent my deposit in.  Now they have virtual tours, and all this information online.  Sometimes it can be info over load!

GOB told him to major in criminal justice.  Are you calling GOB stupid?  Are you saying that GOB just eats donuts all day and he is clueless?

Maybe he should take this up with GOB directly, it is getting tense in here, lol.

GOB is clueless

This one school writes on his acceptance letter, "I really like the essay you wrote about spending time with your Dad".  I see it and ask him, what did you write?

He says, "I just wrote an essay about how much of a p*ssy you are".

I said, "It must have been a short essay".

We both laughed and went back to watching TV.  You have to love Irish families.

This one school writes on his acceptance letter, "I really like the essay you wrote about spending time with your Dad".  I see it and ask him, what did you write?

The school took that as 'The Dad really loves him and will pay all the bills no matter what' LOL ;)

That's awesome! 

Honestly, the major going in isn't too big of a deal, depending on the school you go to. I thought I wanted to do electrical/computer engineering. Turns out I hate E&M and dealing with circuits. I changed major before finishing the common core requirements, so I switched no problem to CS. If I went somewhere else, I could've had difficulty having to switch into a different college or whatever, so I'm happy where I ended up. His options aren't limited at all really if it turns out he doesn't like the Criminal Justice classes.

That's awesome! 

Honestly, the major going in isn't too big of a deal, depending on the school you go to. I thought I wanted to do electrical/computer engineering. Turns out I hate E&M and dealing with circuits. I changed major before finishing the common core requirements, so I switched no problem to CS. If I went somewhere else, I could've had difficulty having to switch into a different college or whatever, so I'm happy where I ended up. His options aren't limited at all really if it turns out he doesn't like the Criminal Justice classes.

Funny,  I went CS, but now wish I had gone computer engineering.  I don't like being limited to software.   The Arduino keeps me happy for now though.

Funny,  I went CS, but now wish I had gone computer engineering.  I don't like being limited to software.   The Arduino keeps me happy for now though.

Yeah, I'm on the opposite end. I don't like worrying about the hardware! Arduino is really cool though. So much you can do with it for really cheap. Wish I had more time to tinker away on side projects.

That's awesome! 

Awesome.  You were meant for CS!  Good luck, thanks.

That's awesome! 

Similar reasons as to why I switched from a dual EE/CompE major to just CompE, because it got me out of taking courses like Systems, Signals, and Transforms.  Still had to deal with circuits, transistor theory, etc, though.

CS is definitely an "easier" workload IMO.

congrats, max! take out fed loans even if you plan to pay -- interest rates at all time low

Yeah that is what we will be doing. The financial aid package the top two schools offered will soon be under the appeal process. That process should be wrapped up really soon and then hopefully he will be notifying the schools soon.  I think May 1st is the official date.  But it would be nice to be done with this in a week or so and know for sure where all my money the next four years will be going, lol.

Yeah that is what we will be doing. The financial aid package the top two schools offered will soon be under the appeal process. That process should be wrapped up really soon and then hopefully he will be notifying the schools soon.  I think May 1st is the official date.  But it would be nice to be done with this in a week or so and know for sure where all my money the next four years will be going, lol.

Then you get to look forward to the next one

Then you get to look forward to the next one

True.  The math is scary.  Three kids all born 4 years apart.  That means the best case scenario is 12 straight years of college.

So anyway, about those VIP memberships.  You get a can coozie and expanded Private Message inbox, lol.

True.  The math is scary.  Three kids all born 4 years apart.  That means the best case scenario is 12 straight years of college.

So anyway, about those VIP memberships.  You get a can coozie and expanded Private Message inbox, lol.

LOL

same here, three kids born starting in 1977 ending 1981. 

Not quite sure I am following this....

University of Delaware - they have strict tailgating rules of no tailgating while game is being played or halftime or your car will be towed

all the non students who didnt buy tickets use to be out tailgating the entire day listening to the game on radio but not anymore

University of Delaware - they have strict tailgating rules of no tailgating while game is being played or halftime or your car will be towed

all the non students who didnt buy tickets use to be out tailgating the entire day listening to the game on radio but not anymore

Oh, I understand now.  Sounds like a lot of places are cracking down on our national pastime of tailgating unfortunately.

Archived